Xbox Scorpio Specs

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
So the specs were revealed, pretty monstrous for a console I must admit.

PS4 Pro Specs as a comparison

CPU- eight x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, cores at 2.1 GHz
GPU - 4.20 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon based graphics engine at 911 MHz
8GB of GDDR5 RAM with a memory bandwidth of 218GB/s
1TB 2.5-inch hard drive
BD/ DVD drive

Xbox Scorpio

CPU - eight custom x86 cores clocked at 2.3GHz
GPU - 40 customised compute units clocked at 1172MHz
12GB of GDDR5 RAM with a memory bandwidth of 326GB/s
1TB 2.5-inch hard drive
UHD Blu-ray drive

ECA

I am a FH squatter
It's an i3 6100 paired with a 480. ( roughly ).

Pretty good for a console to be honest.
It can do 4k and also non cpu intensive VR.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Its so far behind the curve tho the pro been out for six months already

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
curious what sonys response will be, I wouldn't expect a response out of sony until next year though.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
4k Blu-Ray

Sony done fucked up.

If its a decent price it could really upset Sony's plans.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
4k Blu-Ray

Sony done fucked up.

If its a decent price it could really upset Sony's plans.

around £400 or so the rumours are, I can't see it being more, despite it being more powerful than a PS4 Pro, it's still a direct competitor @ £340

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Sony havent fucked up cause they have 6 months sales before its even announced. And another six before its released.

Also sony exclusives are much better than ms and the rest u ccan get on either.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yarp but a decent Blu-Ray player is going to sell units, in the same way standard Blu-Ray shifted PS3s

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Shops, online retailers. You give them money and they give you 4k blu-rays.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Ok not looked for it. Not much broadcast tho. Guess i dont have a 4k tv and cba with disk media these days so dont look

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I suspect Microsoft will sell it for £400 ish as the rumours suggest, I don't think sony will respond to it immediately, I do think Sony will bring a new PS4 out next year sometime though with equal or better specs than the Scorpio. Sony has held on to the #1 spot for a few years now, i can't see them just willingly handing it over to Microsoft.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Sony only just moded the ps4. So unless we are now in an itteration war. It will be a couple years at best before a revamp. Devs havent got the most out of the pro yet.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Sony only just moded the ps4. So unless we are now in an itteration war. It will be a couple years at best before a revamp. Devs havent got the most out of the pro yet.

Hmmm not rly. remember they are all off the shelf pc components these days - it's fairly easy for devs to get 99% out of them early, not like the ps1/2/3 days.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Agree, off the shelf budget PCs. It really wouldn't surprise me if the next gen (PS5 etc) is semi-modular.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Who buys disc media? You're left with just another redundant version of the same movie when the next iteration of TV is released to convince the masses they 'need' 8k.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Blu-rays were a decent jump in fidelity from standard DVD but even then disc media was at the end of its life. I just can't see how UHD blu-rays will convince people to spend 400 quid on a console which has poor exclusives (at the moment).

Syri

FH is my second home
I don't think the UHD blu-ray will have any real impact, it's a bit different to the PS3 situation, where the console was cheaper and better than most early blu-ray players. A lot of people serious about UHD blu-ray will already have a player anyway.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Who buys disc media? You're left with just another redundant version of the same movie when the next iteration of TV is released to convince the masses they 'need' 8k.

First major broadcasts will be in Japan for the Olympics, 2022. Not seen any plans for EU and US yet.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

People who want to see 4k content at home, 4k broadcasts are very limited and appear to be very slow to be rolled out. Mostly because most people do not have the broadband speeds to cope with true 4k output (film steaming and such) I think BT and sky do the odd football match in 4k but that is about it (In the UK that is)

I don't have a 4k TV and have no plans to get one (monitor first) but having watched The Revenant in 4k I can certainly see why people want it.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I know one thing, Microsoft are going to shoot themselves in the foot if they try and sell this for $700 around Xmas, parents on budgets or parents that just don't know any better will gravitate towards PS4 Pro and Nintendo Switch just because of the price differences.

$700 was an estimate based on the price of the hardware inside of it, they'd be selling it at a loss below $700.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I know one thing, Microsoft are going to shoot themselves in the foot if they try and sell this for $700 around Xmas, parents on budgets or parents that just don't know any better will gravitate towards PS4 Pro and Nintendo Switch just because of the price differences.

$700 was an estimate based on the price of the hardware inside of it, they'd be selling it at a loss below $700.

Most consoles are sold at a loss, at least initially, since they make their money back on the games and online stuff. Also over time the internal hardware becomes cheaper (cpu/gpu die shrink, hdd/ram price drops etc) so they can eventually make a profit on the later revisions.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Most consoles are sold at a loss, at least initially, since they make their money back on the games and online stuff. Also over time the internal hardware becomes cheaper (cpu/gpu die shrink, hdd/ram price drops etc) so they can eventually make a profit on the later revisions.

Yea, but this? this is priced roughly at £560? they'd have to sell it at £400 for it to be reasonable price for most families.. that's a £160 loss if we're to believe that the component costs are $700, I doubt MS would take a £160 loss on each console.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Yea, but this? this is priced roughly at £560? they'd have to sell it at £400 for it to be reasonable price for most families.. that's a £160 loss if we're to believe that the component costs are $700, I doubt MS would take a £160 loss on each console.

I think you've underestimated how much money M$ have and how much they are willing to spend to get a presence into every home. £160m to get into a million homes is chump change to them. They get £15-20 from each game sold (Steam comission is about 33% too) so they'll get it back over time anyway.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I think you've underestimated how much money M$ have and how much they are willing to spend to get a presence into every home. £160m to get into a million homes is chump change to them. They get £15-20 from each game sold (Steam comission is about 33% too) so they'll get it back over time anyway.

Perhaps, given how much they'd have to lose to make the Scorpio viable at that price though, you have to question it.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
That price estimate is bollocks anyway.

My guess is £349 or £399

leggy

Probably Scottish
People who want to see 4k content at home.

I might be old fashioned here but how else do you see 4k content, if not at home? By the time proper 4k content is available, all those 'futureproofed' TVs will need replacing. I love technology but this is the definition of pointless shit to sell more shit that nobody needs.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
4k will still work on 8k displays, in the same way 1080 works on 4k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom