Prydwen FH IRL Meet

Edgar Frog

Fledgling Freddie
I have studied cases of webmeets where people who arrive on their own are taken advantage of, sometimes physically, sometimes financially. If you do go to such webmeets where potentially distrustful elements may reside, my recommendation would be to go with a friend. Unfortunately some participants of webmeets have very few friends in real life so they do end up participating alone, which leaves them more vulnerable and prone to being taken advantage of.

Kjel

One of Freddy's beloved
Er... so you got drunk and mugged down an alley?

That's like a normal night out :touch:
More irl drunken goodness! :cheers:

Edgar Frog

Fledgling Freddie
Well, let's take a notorious case posted up on the BBC website where a young boy was supposedly going to a webmeet (in this case, meeting a 'girl' he supposedly knew from a chat channel).

When he arrived at the meeting location all he saw were two burly men; hiding around a corner he texted the phone of the 'girl' and lo and behold, one of the two men brought out his mobile phone and began reading the LCD screen.

It's just a fair warning to the younger ones in Freddyshouse.

One may argue that at such a webmeet involving a (somewhat) large web community, there is safety in numbers. But let's face it, the faces behind what seem to be (to some) trustworthy individuals in game, have done x amount of rubbish in real life. Take, for example, (if the allegations are true) 'Durgi'.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
well i think to be fair we're talking grown up's meeting like in a pub or something, but very good point to make bud, safety first and all that, if it was one on one meet then yeah definately be careful but they talking about a whole group of ppl meeting up, and its isnt like we all just met in some sleezy chat room, twas on a sleezy game forum way hay! and tbh if you are a little'un its probably totally unsuitable to go meeting folks with out your parents there.

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Heh. I'd come if I even lived near London or wherever the meet is, or could pay a flightticket & hotel.

harm

Fledgling Freddie
Irl = scary :/

With cash and off work it should be possible, tho I doubt I'll go all the way to England for that. Cheaper with a Hiberna Medallion Of Passage :eek7:

behatch

Fledgling Freddie
od_immortalis said:
dude! day before my birthday!

Depends on where... I could make it :D

everyone would pwn u irl to make up for your in game bd xD

:D

DaggerElivager

Fledgling Freddie
Edgar Frog said:
Well, let's take a notorious case posted up on the BBC website where a young boy was supposedly going to a webmeet (in this case, meeting a 'girl' he supposedly knew from a chat channel).

When he arrived at the meeting location all he saw were two burly men; hiding around a corner he texted the phone of the 'girl' and lo and behold, one of the two men brought out his mobile phone and began reading the LCD screen.

One may argue that at such a webmeet involving a (somewhat) large web community, there is safety in numbers. But let's face it, the faces behind what seem to be (to some) trustworthy individuals in game, have done x amount of rubbish in real life. Take, for example, (if the allegations are true) 'Durgi'.

i bet your the life and sole of the part lol

all your posts are about bad things like racism from a blacklist, or this etc.

but you do make a valid point. webmeets can go very very wrong and sadly there are complete t***s out there who prey on people to take advantage or do something horrible. So precaution shud be taken.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
say where it will take place so i can avoid it :p

im too ugly to be allowed to leave my small inside room :(

and sunlight is bad for you :p

(i do actually play daoc in an inside room with no sunlight)

Elendar

One of Freddy's beloved
Edgar Frog said:

i'm pretty sure that fh and doac aren't some elaborate hoax to steal my wallet
although loch does make me wonder

Edgar Frog

Fledgling Freddie
Some may encourage Ormorof to go to such a web meeting to extend his network of 'real life friends', but also because if his looks are as terrifying as he is to have us believe, he will have no trouble with fending off any perverted elements at the webmeet.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Edgar Frog said:
Some may encourage Ormorof to go to such a web meeting to extend his network of 'real life friends', but also because if his looks are as terrifying as he is to have us believe, he will have no trouble with fending off any perverted elements at the webmeet.

hmm good point, but "real life" friends? thats taking it too far :(

nick

Fledgling Freddie
Derric said:
Although, I don't drink ofc ;o

The webcam said otherwise :(

(Yush I am still tormented by the images shown on that fateful evening :()

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
Hmmm,

Arranging a meet on my Birthday...
Sounds like it's fate :p

Derric

Fledgling Freddie
nick said:
The webcam said otherwise :(

(Yush I am still tormented by the images shown on that fateful evening :()

I only tried to act dutch. :(

Aremeriel

One of Freddy's beloved
Brelakor said:
Molde in Norway sounds like a good spot for me!
At least Norway sounds good to me... But then, some ppl from Prydwen.net have already had a meeting in Oslo.. ;) Most hibs, couple mids and one hib/alb... He he... Was fun though... And I know the hibs have had more meetings too...

Edgar Frog said:
I have studied cases of webmeets where people who arrive on their own are taken advantage of, sometimes physically, sometimes financially. If you do go to such webmeets where potentially distrustful elements may reside, my recommendation would be to go with a friend. Unfortunately some participants of webmeets have very few friends in real life so they do end up participating alone, which leaves them more vulnerable and prone to being taken advantage of.
Hmmmm.... Seems you've studied all that can be "bad" in the world..
Valuable point though... But, I've gone to webmeets alone before, and so far I haven't had any probs... But then, I've only gone to webmeets with ppl whom I've met on Messageboards or in games... I don't think ppl play a game just to set you up IF the chance of a webmeet ever occurs.. But, precautions should be taken....

I would love to come to such a meeting, but I can't afford it at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom