Politics POLL: Brexit Withdrawal Agreement

If you were an MP would you vote for or against it?

• FOR

• AGAINST

Results are only viewable after voting.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
You have no relationship with the UK any more, I am not sure what you don't understand about that.

Not our problem. That is an EU problem, take it up with your MEP.

We're certainly not much interested in anything the ROI can offer in return.

Aaand, chip shortage? I can still order whatever laptop I want for next day delivery, you're making up problems. Didn't we all hear all about EU buying power? Whine at the EU, not us.

Last edited:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Edit...

or

or

or

or

You get the idea...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
And I've been having all sorts of problems ordering stuff I previously was able to order.

So @Raven's "la la la la la" fingers in the ears shit is nothing more than "I'm alright jack".

Glad you are m8. Lots of other people aren't. And Brexit is the fucking issue.

Not really our problem, is it?
Is a dick thing to say to ordinary people who are coming up against problems they never had before. You can be bolshy with governments for being twats - but the rest of the planet is just trying to live their lives in as simple a way as possible.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
You have no relationship with the UK any more, I am not sure what you don't understand about that.

Not our problem. That is an EU problem, take it up with your MEP.

We're certainly not much interested in anything the ROI can offer in return.

Aaand, chip shortage? I can still order whatever laptop I want for next day delivery, you're making up problems. Didn't we all hear all about EU buying power? Whine at the EU, not us.

Are you deliberately being a thick cunt this evening? Where have I said the UK owes the EU, or me, anything? But I think the UK does owe Northern Ireland something since you're supposed to be same fucking country.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Are you deliberately being a thick cunt this evening? Where have I said the UK owes the EU, or me, anything? But I think the UK does owe Northern Ireland something since you're supposed to be same fucking country.

No. As we are repeatedly told, these are all UK problems. They are not, because if that was the case supply shortages would be affecting us too, they aren't. It is an EU problem. If they (The EU government) weren't so arrogant and childish, then maybe we could work something out...

People seem to get kicks out of the EU punishing the UK for leaving them but don't seem to like it when it backfires.

There is absolutely nothing anyone here can do about it, you all need to speak with your MEP, I'm sure you all know their names and how to contact them.

As for NI, long-drawn-out meh, unfortunately. That's both the EU and the UK governments playing fuckabout and it seems the only people suffering are the people of NI and ROI (again, you need to get on to your MEP)

Last edited:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
And I've been having all sorts of problems ordering stuff I previously was able to order.

So @Raven's "la la la la la" fingers in the ears shit is nothing more than "I'm alright jack".

Glad you are m8. Lots of other people aren't. And Brexit is the fucking issue.

Is a dick thing to say to ordinary people who are coming up against problems they never had before. You can be bolshy with governments for being twats - but the rest of the planet is just trying to live their lives in as simple a way as possible.

I've not struggled to buy a single thing since leaving the EU and have an eclectic load of hobbies, what are you struggling to find?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Lots of peeps in NI probably facing sale issue of suddenly lots of retailers not shipping to them from (supposedly) same country. NI is meant to be part of the UK so this is not an EU problem.

I think @Raven is a bit too fixated on the idea that @DaGaffer doesnt live in UK relax dude we get it, yes it works both ways EU peeps cant order as much from UK and vice versa.

But the whole point of all the delays and arguements about NI as part of the withdrawal was that NI is part of the UK and cannot be treated as separate. It seems regardless of the legal attempts many businesses are not bothering to find out and are treating NI as outside because, like yourself, they dont give a fuck and lets be honest most Brits couldn't give two hoots about NI or whether its part of UK or not

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've not struggled to buy a single thing since leaving the EU and have an eclectic load of hobbies, what are you struggling to find?
You're alright then jack. Me and all my friends are frustrated because what was simple and easy has become a frustrating, sometimes expensive trawl (and sometimes, as mentioned recently, a complete no-no).

And meh to NI? ... wow :(

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
What have you or your friends struggled to buy?

I think the issue for the EU is that they are still in the dark ages when it comes to E-commerce and distribution networks, nothing at all to do with Brexit.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

I think the issue for the EU is that they are still in the dark ages when it comes to E-commerce and distribution networks, nothing at all to do with Brexit.

I mean, isn't it a good for us to sell to other countries too and not just bulk?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I mean, isn't it a good for us to sell to other countries too and not just bulk?

ofc it is, but we keep hearing how we aren't needed, so either we are needed or we aren't. If we are in fact needed (which we are, because of EU lag on modern distribution) then it is up to the EU to bring something to the table. And if they aren't willing to then it is up to EU folk to use the democratic process (lol) to make their MEPs listen.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Check the recent thread. Do you want me to create an excel spreadsheet each time I buy something just so I can list a pile of stuff that's become a problem since Brexit? I regularly used several european suppliers for various things that now are a no-go.

Buying stuff from some non-european people (e.g. some stuff from New Zealand) has also been a problem as they often use European hubs and distributors and the UK has become a dead market.

Maybe it'll get smoothed out going forward, but right now in many cases it's either an expensive shitshow or a non-starter in many cases. Brexit is the causal issue here - and I don't care "who's" problem it is - because it's MY problem.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
No, I just want you to give me one example of something that was previously available to you and now isn't.

I'm sure you can remember at least one, seeing as it's such a massive problem.

DaGaffer

ofc it is, but we keep hearing how we aren't needed, so either we are needed or we aren't. If we are in fact needed (which we are, because of EU lag on modern distribution) then it is up to the EU to bring something to the table. And if they aren't willing to then it is up to EU folk to use the democratic process (lol) to make their MEPs listen.

That's an...interesting...spin on things. It is not a matter of being "needed" or not, wilfully ignoring your most lucrative non-domestic market is simply fucking stupid, and that's all on the UK. Doubling down and ignoring one of your own constituent parts is just more of the same.

Is the UK losing more trade than the EU? Yes. Can the UK afford to lose more trade than the EU? No. QED.

And the EU don't lag on modern distribution, that's just horseshit, three of the five largest logistics companies in the world are headquartered in the EU.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It certainly is not horseshit, it doesn't really matter where they are headquartered.

As your struggles to buy a simple laptop suggest.

DaGaffer

It certainly is not horseshit, it doesn't really matter where they are headquartered.

As your struggles to buy a simple laptop suggest.

My struggles to buy a laptop have absolutely nothing to do with logistics

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
My struggles to buy a laptop have absolutely nothing to do with logistics

So, what is the problem then?

All problems with retail and lack of products is down to logistics, ultimately. It's how it works.

Marc

FH is my second home
A lot of my clients who buy from the EU have found it more difficult/costly than before we left the EU. Supply chains have 100% been affected for them compared to how they were before.

Its not a threat to going concern or anything like that, just more hassle than it used to be.

DaGaffer

So, what is the problem then?

All problems with retail and lack of products is down to logistics, ultimately. It's how it works.

Nonsense. Its also down to competition, localisation, tax and a bunch of other issues. Ireland is a small country, so sometimes that means less competition because retailers from other countries have better economies of scale, and that's fine; I have no complaints about that because the positives of living here far outweigh the negatives.

When the UK left the EU, lots of the convenience of the UK's membership of the EU was lost, but in 99% of cases it was no big deal, so for example I just switched to amazon.de. However, computers are a special case because of localisation. In actual fact even before Brexit, buying tech from the UK could be a bit of a pain because some manufacturers operated territory discrimination (which they weren't supposed to do, but weasled out with bollocks about warranties etc.) and what we'd do in that case was use an intermediary like ParcelMotel, so, you guessed it, items would be delivered to a drop-off in Northern Ireland, and then shipped to locker locations in Ireland. Brexit has killed all of that, which is why I tried to do the NI bit myself to a friend's house so I could pick it up.

In most cases, Britain's exit from the EU has simply meant a gain for other EU members, but there are a number of items of UK-Ireland trade that aren't easily substituted (second hand cars would be another fairly substantial one, once again because of localisation, in this case RHD), but its inconvenience on the Irish side, versus loss of revenue on the British side.

And sorry, you're just wrong about EU logistics, certainly western Europe anyway. They were always a bit weird about payments, but not shipping, and last mile delivery systems in Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland and the Nordics were way ahead of the UK when ecommerce just a twinkle in Jeff Bezos' eye.

Gray

FH is my second home
Argos who I work for pretty much have excluded a majority of large goods items now going over to Ireland, they don't carry out white-goods installations now and some of our suppliers who deliver direct to customers have pretty much blacklisted Ireland due to the price of transporting now and paperwork attached.

Our company cards can't be used on orders over a certain value again because the paperwork is too hardy for them.

Getting stock in from Europe (France and Holland depots) direct to customer has been a bit easier compared to what it was like in the beginning of Brexit, if a form was marked wrong at the depot or at the border they end up sending the stock back. Thankfully doesn't happen as much now.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No, I just want you to give me one example of something that was previously available to you and now isn't.

Look on the previous page ffs, I posted about it and linked to it.

Why are you being such a giant thundercunt about this?

Tom

I am a FH squatter

Add it to your basket. Then watch.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
£10?

Brookes stuff is definitely a luxury purchase - but I understand that once you buy a saddle then it's the seat you sit on for life.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
But there isn't much of a problem with that, as much as it is an inconvenience for Tom.

But selling shit from the UK to the EU? Yeah, that's the important one.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Add it to your basket. Then watch.
Interesting, it clearly makes sense for them to push it to that value as then the buyer in the UK has to deal with everything.

On a related tangent it's also interesting to see how far bullshitting in branding goes these days "Brooks" "England" "1866" all from Italy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom