Part time, part time, part time.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
We have a full time job in our warehouse that has had a different person doing it 5-6 times this year. They have either been bone idle and more interested in texting and phoning in sick or quit after a couple of weeks.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Sort of correct. I've worked in lots of kitchens and iny experience some can hack it and some cant, regardless of nationality. Hardest worker I ever worked with was Slovakian but so was the worst.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Go stand in a strawberry field come picking time. You won't see many English people. They can't be arsed.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
more like brassica this time of year .. straws getting a bit leggy getting on for sept. But i agree more eastern euros willing to do the manual jobs than the UK unemployed even if they could make more money than on the dole.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
He's not wrong, and of course immigrant workers are harder workers, its like my grandfather used to say - let someone who has never had money or very little work and they'll work their arses off.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
He's not wrong, and of course immigrant workers are harder workers, its like my grandfather used to say - let someone who has never had money or very little work and they'll work their arses off.

This is a complete myth that most eastern europeans come here because they are poor. Most immigrants ive worked with have been doing it to pay for school because the level and variety of education is better here.

rynnor

Rockhound
Moriath said:
more like brassica this time of year .. straws getting a bit leggy getting on for sept. But i agree more eastern euros willing to do the manual jobs than the UK unemployed even if they could make more money than on the dole.

There are issues with this scenario as someone who did this as a student.

The farms are in the middle of nowhere so unless you are lucky enough to live right next to one you are going to have to travel and camp on site.

I doubt you can get any assistance with purchasing camping gear and travel costs so thats a poor start.

It's also unpredictable - one unseasonal storm and the work disappears and your travelling again.

Next theres the differentials - the guys I was picking with were from Eastern russia - a Summers worth of picking was going to make a big difference to their lives.

One guy was going to use the money to buy a flat!

Add to this the hassle temporary work produces with the DHSS and it becomes obvious why people dont do it.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Tom said:
Go stand in a strawberry field come picking time. You won't see many English people. They can't be arsed.

And yet go and stand in a similar field in Queensland and every accent will be British or Irish.

It's got little to do with cba and everything to do with motivation; the relative payoff for working in those fields in Australia (a 2 year visa) is much bigger than the payoff for working in the fields in England (minimum wage and a bad back).

It's too simplistic to just claim "Brits are lazy,foreigners work harder blah blah"; I would never have done crop picking in the UK, even when I was a student, because there were always more lucrative or interesting options.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
How many years ago was that though? Crop picking is a bad example, most young people want to stay at their parents or near friends, travelling away to the arse end of nowhere to pick fruit isn't really an option.

The main point is that you get an English teenager in and they just stand there with a vague look on their face waiting to be told what to do, then they proceed to do it half arsed. The amount of sick days they take because they sleep in is pathetic and yes we have had someone's mum phone in sick for them because they were out on the piss the night before. Yes it's low wage low challenge work but what else does someone with no experience, no qualifications and no work ethic expect?

The same with half of the graduates, they come out with a 2.2 in media studies and expect to walk into a 40k job when in reality they should be aiming for 16k or so and getting their foot in the door at an employer.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Our place has 15 - 20 part time jobs which are all cover for Maternity leave or mothers working reduced hours when they come back.

And while it is so easy not to work self entitled little shits will never put in any graft. I have a very large family and two of my cousins show this perfectly. One cousin has a useless mother and practically raised his siblings while contribution to the bills since he was 14 and working. He has just finished Uni and is bang on track to be a shit hot doctor but he is still doing 2 jobs to pay for it all one at McDonalds and one cleaning at a Hospital which he sees as a foot in the door. My other cousin has wealthy parents and has never wanted for anything. He went to Uni with Mum and Dad paying but spent the whole time pissed so he got a really shit grade doing some media shit course. And since he finished it has been nothing but "Job Market is shit" "I'm not traveling an hour for £25k". When offered a job in McDonalds by the other Cousin his response was a responding fuck that I would rather sign on.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
How many years ago was that though? Crop picking is a bad example, most young people want to stay at their parents or near friends, travelling away to the arse end of nowhere to pick fruit isn't really an option.

It was an option for me (my parents lived in Lincolnshire), but even my worst student job (sticking those little straws on cans of WD-40 on the night shift) was better than doing that, and most of mates were in a similar situation; bin-men/house clearances/driver's mate; all crap and back-breaking jobs, but way better than working in the fields.

The main point is that you get an English teenager in and they just stand there with a vague look on their face waiting to be told what to do, then they proceed to do it half arsed. The amount of sick days they take because they sleep in is pathetic and yes we have had someone's mum phone in sick for them because they were out on the piss the night before. Yes it's low wage low challenge work but what else does someone with no experience, no qualifications and no work ethic expect?

Thing is, I think it was always thus. When I was an apprentice we were routinely called lazy morons by the older men. Doesn't mean we were. When you're 16 you do know nothing, and you have no idea about what a real day's work means. I was only thinking about this the other day; starting work on my first day at 7.30 (before I left school I didn't know 7.30 existed) and finishing at 5.30. I was fucking knackered those first few months, but at least I had a job that was making me think; if I'd had to go straight from school to some unskilled brain-dead job, I'm pretty sure I'd have been pretty half-arsed about it as well.

The same with half of the graduates, they come out with a 2.2 in media studies and expect to walk into a 40k job when in reality they should be aiming for 16k or so and getting their foot in the door at an employer.

This is because they've been sold a lie. Those expectations don't come from nowhere. Teachers and parents have chanted the mantra "get an education", "get a degree", "become a professional", and its bullshit. I've said it on here dozens of times, a degree from some jumped up former FE with delusions of grandeur is largely worthless; you have to go to a decent quality university before you have any expectation of a decent career path, and that, in most cases, is more important than the actual subject you take unless you want to be a medic or something. But that's not what young people are being told.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Thing is, I think it was always thus. When I was an apprentice we were routinely called lazy morons by the older men. Doesn't mean we were. When you're 16 you do know nothing, and you have no idea about what a real day's work means. I was only thinking about this the other day; starting work on my first day at 7.30 (before I left school I didn't know 7.30 existed) and finishing at 5.30. I was fucking knackered those first few months, but at least I had a job that was making me think; if I'd had to go straight from school to some unskilled brain-dead job, I'm pretty sure I'd have been pretty half-arsed about it as well.
Definitely agree with this. When I came out of Uni my first job was working as a chef (again, 4th chef job at the time I think) in Denmark. I wasn't in Denmark to work hard and make a career, I was there to have a good time in a foreign country and the job was just a means of paying for that. I didn't put in 100% every day because I knew it was just making ends meet, this was no way what I would be doing for the rest of life. I am now back in England and have just got my first job at a good company, it's low paid (£17k) but it's a decent place to work and I know if I work hard then the possibility to move up is there so I am motivated to do well.

This is because they've been sold a lie. Those expectations don't come from nowhere. Teachers and parents have chanted the mantra "get an education", "get a degree", "become a professional", and its bullshit. I've said it on here dozens of times, a degree from some jumped up former FE with delusions of grandeur is largely worthless; you have to go to a decent quality university before you have any expectation of a decent career path, and that, in most cases, is more important than the actual subject you take unless you want to be a medic or something. But that's not what young people are being told.

Also true but I believe that this perception is changing. While the kids are being sold a lie, it's also hard to avoid news of the unemployment rates etc etc, even if you're not too interested in current affairs. I find the attitude of parents varies wildly and doesn't help a lot of people as well. My dad for instance was very supportive when I was out of work because he lives in the real world and knows how hard it is, and as long as he could see that I was trying, he helped me out. My girlfriends parents on the other hand think that because they helped pay for her education that she should have come out of uni and be on £40k by now and be paying them back, because thats what happened to them when they finished Uni in the 70s.

Last edited:

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
Jamie Oliver rubbing a few people up the wrong way, lots agreeing with him though

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23860811

Jamie Oliver is a clueless prick though.

All I can say is if he was in work 80-100 hours a week he must have been doing absolutely fuck all when he was there because I'm not in any way work shy and a week's work for me consists of 3 x 12.5 hour shifts in a row and I am dead on my fucking feet after it.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
You lack stamina then. I spent my early 20s doing 16 hour shifts. I regularly do 12 hour days now and during budgets I can easily clock up 100 hours. Yes during budgets I'm a little tired but nothing that a day off doesn't solve. I agree with Jamie Oliver in this instance.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
You lack stamina then. I spent my early 20s doing 16 hour shifts. I regularly do 12 hour days now and during budgets I can easily clock up 100 hours. Yes during budgets I'm a little tired but nothing that a day off doesn't solve. I agree with Jamie Oliver in this instance.

er. no, i really don't. I do one of the most physically mentally and emotionally demanding jobs on the planet.

Everz

FH is my second home
Bitchin' about a three day week.. jesus, lets trade.

soze

I am a FH squatter
ICU Nurse. My Aunt is one and she goes 12 hours without sitting down.

I find my current job sitting in an office chair more tiring than my old one which was manual labor. I think I just burn out mentally and cba. My old just with sheet metal started every day at 7.30 and depending on deadlines could run to 21.00. And that is with the exception of a lunch break constant lifting and bending and you never got to sit down. But I could do a day there go for a pint or two after work hang out till 2 or 3 in the morning but still show up for work on time. But now I finish at 19.00 and I just want to fall into my chair till bed time. I hardly ever go out on a School night anymore.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
Bitchin' about a three day week.. jesus, lets trade.

Doubt You'd want to. When I say a 3 day week, that's just the basic. very often do 1-3 extra days. +a 12.5 hour shift is rarely only 12.5 hours. 13-14 +hours are not uncommon.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I'm assuming this is a bigger deal in British culture?
Depends, we have a guy in the office on a final warning because he can't help going and getting blitzed on two for one on a Thursday night. But I personally will not have more than 1 or 2 pints on a weekday as I cant imagine having the minerals to go to work half cut.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Doubt You'd want to. When I say a 3 day week, that's just the basic. very often do 1-3 extra days. +a 12.5 hour shift is rarely only 12.5 hours. 13-14 +hours are not uncommon.

so...not a three day week? also, if that's unpaid you're mad :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
I work 3 nights a week, gets us money to pay our bills and live our lifestyle, have a daughter now and my priorities have changed I want her to see her dad and I love the 4 days a week where I can spend time and go out with her.

Have a nice army pension I get every month for life too.

Took 4 months paternity leave off and it was one of the best things I have ever done as after the first 2 weeks I noticed a bond that wasn't there while I was working.

Work to live not live to work, 80-100 hour weeks? bollocks to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom