Part time, part time, part time.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
People want to work as little as possible for as much as possible? Shock Horror.

mr.Blacky

Can't get enough of FH
Not just in the UK is the blindness about salary happening.
Last week I was back in Holland and a student (economics) told me she expected 100k euro starting salary.
Now if she studied anything else I might be tempted to think the normal blindness but I would expect better from someone who studied economics.

Everz

FH is my second home
Working more hours then needed is a mugs game. I do my 37.5 hours that I'm required to and nothing more.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Working more hours then needed is a mugs game. I do my 37.5 hours that I'm required to and nothing more.

yep, otherwise the expectation becomes that you'll do those extra hours as routine and you just get given more work.

Aada

Part of the furniture
yep, otherwise the expectation becomes that you'll do those extra hours as routine and you just get given more work.

Then when you eventually say you don't want to work overtime any more the employer suddenly gets rather annoyed at you and becomes a pissy cunt.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Employers also hate those cunts that have their coats on bang on 5 every day. A bit of flexibility on each side is good.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
A bit of flexibility and lieu time is one thing, expecting people to work unpaid for "needs of the business" makes me laugh in their face

rynnor

Rockhound
Employers also hate those cunts that have their coats on bang on 5 every day. A bit of flexibility on each side is good.

The flip side of this are people who are physically present all day but about as effective as a cardboard cut out.

If a person can get all they need to within their hours then good luck to them - if they sometimes need to do some more for specific reasons also fair enough.

Hanging around just to be seen not leaving early is also stupid and of no benefit to the company.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Yeah. When I was Betfair I'd happily do the (paid) weekend support shifts and the middle of the night on call stuff, too. But a) it was paid and b) I quite enjoyed it and c) no one ever moaned at me for rocking up at 10-11am after a night of oncall shite.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Real simple; do i get paid for overtime? Yes - ok. No - F*ck off.

Tom

I am a FH squatter

A good employer will know that his employee's skills are valuable and hence not free of charge.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
A good employer will pay the employee enough that they don't mind an extra half and hour now and again.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
3 x 12.5 hour shifts in a row and I am dead on my fucking feet after it.
Nothing wrong with that, the trick how ever is to keep doing it day in, day out 6 days a week 50 weeks a year for years on end - And beeing happy/content with it.

Everz

FH is my second home
A good employer will pay the employee enough that they don't mind an extra half and hour now and again.

Half an hour more here and there isn't bad, anything longer and they best be giving me a bonus.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Yeah. When I was Betfair I'd happily do the (paid) weekend support shifts and the middle of the night on call stuff, too. But a) it was paid and b) I quite enjoyed it and c) no one ever moaned at me for rocking up at 10-11am after a night of oncall shite.

yeah this is me as well. I've taken to working "mornings" at home, but I have to be careful I don't over do things lol

SilverHood

FH is my second home

This. I had the opposite at my old job. Regularly up until 4AM to get the systems ready for business, tell my London colleagues to keep a close eye on shit while I get a few hours sleep, then back in the office at 7.30am (was supposed to start at 7.00am) ... to find myself with an unofficial warning that my time keeping was tardy :)

As for salary expectations, I remember reading a Times article about a retired engineer who went round schools to encourage kids to study engineering at university.... he was asked by a 9 year old how much a good engineer made, and he responded "45-60k a year"... at which the kid said Beckham made more than that a week, why were engineers so poorly paid? It highlights the massive expectation the younger generations have when it comes to money. Told all their life they're smarter and with better opportunities than anyone who has come before them, why settle for the average national wage of 21-23k or whatever it is. They should be making big money when they leave school with 5 A to C's...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
...then back in the office at 7.30am (was supposed to start at 7.00am) ... to find myself with an unofficial warning that my time keeping was tardy :)

America, taking the piss out of the working man since 1776. Got to be honest, American employment law and the stupid two weeks vacation was my biggest turn-off in going there. Maybe Europe is too far the other way, but the number of times I've been dealing with an American supplier or partner only to find the person (or entire team on a couple of occasions) I've been dealing with has been given the boot and and is out the door 15 minutes later is ridiculous.

As for working long hours; the worst situation is when you're in a junior management role, where you're probably earning fairly crap money, but are expected to do lots of unpaid overtime; I generally didn't mind as I could see it was just one of those things you have to do to get on, but only if there was actual work to do; one place I worked at (a magazine publisher) had a horrible "presenteeism" culture where everyone was afraid to be the first to leave at night, even if they didn't have pressing work to do. I couldn't play the game and got myself the hell out of there after a year; ironically to somewhere where I worked far more unpaid hours, but didn't mind because the money was a lot better and I actually had stuff to do.

Once you're "senior management" you're still expected to do unpaid hours, (but meh, you're getting decent pay) but I rarely do many extra hours in the office; I'll take work home with me on occasion though.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have a habit of getting to work about half an hour early so i can get a drink browse my websites ect before I start work. I am starting to get a bit pissed off because the people on the early shift keep passing calls through that early. My place is good very rarely so they require you to work late. But when you do you get the time back. So if something exploded at 18.00 and I worked till 21.00 to fix it I could just get 3 hours off another day to make up for it. You can only get paid when it is prearranged though. Also you have to get the client to agree to an out of hours fee. They are also really good at letting you work your lunch and leave an hour early which my old place never let you do.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I work around 60-70 hours a week, no overtime. I think if your well paid you just do what is required. But for the level of work I do I expect some give from the company side. If I don't stroll in until 10 am I don't expect to get any crap from the senior management. I take the occasional day off after working the weekend etc. Not in EU so all that BS 38 hour week stuff does not come into it. I enjoy my work just wish I had some help and did less hours.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
awesomeness the other day: the two senior projects people I work with/for were shocked to hear I'm going up for my bachelor this year / doing all the school besides working. They were very impressed I work as much as I do besides the study. Thinking about it later I realized I need to work less or I'll be dead before I get the fucking paper :-(

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
...the worst situation is when you're in a junior management role, where you're probably earning fairly crap money, but are expected to do lots of unpaid overtime
This. When I got onto the bottom rung of a management ladder from being on an hourly wage as staff beforehand, I remember desperately trying to put the shift over to salary off as long as possible. I was doing the same hours (averagely 10% more hours in fact) and getting paid 60% of the monies. Things improved when I got onto the second and third rungs but you just have to put your head down and get on with it.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
Just to be clear, I am paid hourly :) also certain hours incur a premium rate.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I'm currently in a odd place. I am usually really busy in the mornings and things really slow down in the afternoon - Primarily because I'm currently on top of everything. If I had the need to stay past my working hours I'll do it, I've got no issues leaving at half 6 if the work I need to do just needs to get done. The one thing I don't do is "Expected", don't "Expect" me to stay till 7pm because I do it once or twice. I get in anytime between 9am and 9:15 (9:15 is actual starting hours) and work till 5:15/30 depending on workload.

When things get busier, as I expect them to, I'll work the hours needed to get the work done. But, not for free past a point. I think if you're staying back 3 hours a day you need to either be rewarded for it, or at least given some time off (Hours in leu?) - But, as I said, totally depends on the job in hand, stuff I enjoy (personally) I don't mind hanging around and just finishing it, but other times...

ileks

Part of the furniture
You wouldn't believe the hours my cousin worked over the summer at an investment bank. He was certain it was the career he wanted beforehand. Now he's considering teaching :p

Chilly

Balls of steel
You wouldn't believe the hours my cousin worked over the summer at an investment bank. He was certain it was the career he wanted beforehand. Now he's considering teaching :p
those who can't, teach!

soze

I am a FH squatter
Enjoy paying premium holiday prices! :( ... Still wouldn't mind 10 months off.
I could live with that with all the benefits they get. I know a teacher that got over £3k for marking GCSE's as well. I know you have to deal with kids which sounds like a special kind of hell but the money and benefits are sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom