Painting Sale Pimp (Don't Ban Me, I'm Lovely!)

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
Right everybody, any ideas for my lounge, i'm struggling to come up with something. I'm forty and we have a 28ft lounge (ooh get me). I do like the pop art images, but i don't think that reservoir dogs or james bond are going to suit really, alright for young types or bedrooms i guess. I'm not being snobby or old fashioned, it's just that I want to look at it a few years time and be happy with it/them. I mean, can you imagine me having a 6ft picture of Al Pacino with a chainsaw on the wall when i'm 50+?

I suppose Marylin Monroe or Audrey Hepburn are timeless and classy, but frankly a bit gay.

I don't suppose pictures of my kids would work unless I took some really stylised ones, to create the contrasts and dramatic effects required for this type of art? I guess the reason these film and pop culture images look so good is that the original photos are top banana.

All ideas welcome.

cheers

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm thinking of getting one of my sons done... get a professional black and white pic done and let Arnie loose on that... I don't think you will be disappointed!

Arnie 2Tone

Fledgling Freddie
I can work on movie stills if that helps? And I've done a few paintings from album covers in the past. I think I'd be quite happy at 50+ with an angry chainsaw-wielding Cuban on my wall, but then classy is an adjective that's probably never been used to describe me... :D

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
I don't suppose pictures of my kids would work unless I took some really stylised ones, to create the contrasts and dramatic effects required for this type of art? I guess the reason these film and pop culture images look so good is that the original photos are top banana.

cheers

I'm in the same situation as you Lester, and considering having one of my daughter done.

Surely as an artist Matt can create the contrasts and dramatic effects himself? Isn't that right Matt?

Also Matt are you limited to certain canvas sizes and shapes? Could you do anything with a pic like this?

10120607vs3.jpg

RB

Arnie 2Tone

Fledgling Freddie
'tis true, I can adjust the contrast and what-not in most pictures to create a suitable painting. Resolution is the only important factor really. Working from diddy pictures is a real pain. I'm not particularly limited with regards to canvas size and shapes. Square, round, oval, triangular, hexagonal are all available as well as less commonplace rectangular sizes. It just costs more for the more unusual shapes as only certain manufacturers supply them. A really obscure size would have to be made to order, which costs a packet. I'd make it myself, but I've tried framing canvas before, and frankly I was rubbish at it. I could definately make a lovely painting out of the above photo (even though painting lots of stripes usually makes my eyes go funny...)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I wanna set up my youngest with RB's beautiful little girl :) She's a cutey mate, grats :)

Arnie 2Tone

Fledgling Freddie
Just bunged 5 of the paintings I have knocking about onto eBay to clear some space, so if anyone wants to pick up one for cheap please have a look:

Click Me.

Ta!

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Hihi, I'd like to get two paintings done for my parents birthdays, any chance you could drop me a pm with your current email address? Cheers.

Arnie 2Tone

Fledgling Freddie
Done :)

While this post is bumped, I just thought I 'd advertise the fact that owing to my recent financial raping (right throught the pants) by Barclays in cahoots with Amazon I could use some quick cash. So if anyone can pay by bank transfer or paypal I'll flog my obey giant/clockwork orange/misfits paintings for £30 each including P&P and my Lenore/Michael Myers/Bill Hicks/Aretha Franklin paintings for £40 each including P&P. They're all pictured in this thread somewhere...

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Well I am now also a proud owner of a Matt Black original.

And for those of you who are still unsure of whether to commission a painting or not perhaps these may help:

esmepainting69qz9.jpg

esmepainting70al2.jpg

esmepainting73gt7.jpg

Once again Matt, many thanks it really is superb.

RB

Damini

Part of the furniture
Bloody hell, the hair looks fantastic on that. I mean, the whole thing looks great, but the hair is just really impressive. Was she pleased?

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Done :)

While this post is bumped, I just thought I 'd advertise the fact that owing to my recent financial raping (right throught the pants) by Barclays in cahoots with Amazon I could use some quick cash. So if anyone can pay by bank transfer or paypal I'll flog my obey giant/clockwork orange/misfits paintings for £30 each including P&P and my Lenore/Michael Myers/Bill Hicks/Aretha Franklin paintings for £40 each including P&P. They're all pictured in this thread somewhere...

Would buy that misfits painting straight up if my bank didnt just rape my account as well :(

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
RB - that is truly one of the best I have seen... major result ;)

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Was she pleased?

Don't know yet :)

It's my day off and I've only just received and hung the painting.

The model and her mother will be home sometime after 5. Can't wait to see their faces.

RB

Edit - It really is Jup isn't it? Poor Matt, said all those stripes made his eyes bleed, and it had only been pot luck that she'd decided to wear that top the day I took teh photo. On the other hand the stripes help to make it something special IMO.

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
that is truly awesome.....when/if i ever get a really nice photo of me and vae, its going for the matt treatment!

Arnie 2Tone

Fledgling Freddie
Glad you like the painting :)

I've stopped having nightmares about stripes now!

I'm really looking forward to hearing what the model and her mother have to say about it.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'll be placing a commission soon, I think :)

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Glad you like the painting :)

I've stopped having nightmares about stripes now!

I'm really looking forward to hearing what the model and her mother have to say about it.

Well my 5 year old cried. I guess it's pretty strange seeing yourself that size on a wall, and she's going through a strange phase of not wanting too much attention drawn to her. She is coming round though.

More to the point Sharon loves it, and is absolutely delighted with it and me, so for that I am very grateful :)

Damini. Esme loves books and I am currently reading the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe to her, and she is listening to Paddington and The Famous Five on audio CD. Where do you think your book sit age wise with these?

I can just imagine telling her that the brother of the author of a book I'm reading her did her painting. That would really make her day

RB

Clown

Part of the furniture
Heh. I rinsed out the Enid Blyton books when I was a kid.

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
i wouldn;t read Dam's books to her just yet, at 5 you have a very active imagination, and while she might love the idea of a friendly gost to be her mate, the idea of nastier ones might spook her a bit....

Damini

Part of the furniture
Yeah, I think the youngest kids I've known to read the books are seven. The beginning would probably be fine, but the scarier ghosts and the kidnapping would probably be a little too much. Each to their own though, have a read through yourself and see if you think it's suitable - every kid is different.

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
no offence to dam of course......i don;t know if its offensive to say someones books are too scary to be read or not?

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Sounds like a scary book Damini, do you think it would be suitable for me?

And that's a great picture Matt, I'm well impressed (again).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom