Advice Organic

russell

FH is my second home
Is it a rip off?
To me the meat tastes a lot better and organic tomato ketchup tastes like how I remember it as a kid.... But it is so much more expensive. Is it just me falling for media hype?

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
It's because you're a bloody hippy!!

(tree hugger)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It's a load of bollocks. There are no additional health benefits to be found eating organic over normal food.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The taste is partly due to a placebo effect(mediahype), can confirm with a blind taste on how much you really prefer x over y.

But ofcourse taste is taste so if you like it better then brand X then go for it.

russell

FH is my second home
Does it not have less chemicals, fillers and crap in it then?

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Does it not have less chemicals, fillers and crap in it then?

It has lots of poo that they spread over it....Ewwwww

Probably from animals that have been fed on non organic chemically enhanced feed

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It is better for you in that the food isn't treated with all sorts of chemical crap. Generally though there is little difference in supermarket organic and supermarket normal, its all the same rubbish.

Stuff from you local greengrocer will be of far superior quality.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
The whole thing is driven by marketing and advertisers so I guess you can trust those guys.
5 a day..invented by marketers...no scientific evidence..what..so..fucking..ever!

ECA

I am a FH squatter

Yup. Antioxidants is a lot of shit.

From a harvard article:

The trials were mixed, but most have not found the hoped-for benefits. Most research teams reported that vitamin E and other antioxidant supplements didn’t protect against heart disease or cancer. One study even showed that taking beta-carotene may actually increase the chances of developing lung cancer in smokers. On the other hand, some trials reported benefits; for example, after 18 years of follow-up, the Physicians’ Health Study found that taking beta-carotene was associated with a modest reduction in the rate of cognitive decline. (1)

These mostly disappointing results haven’t stopped food companies and supplement sellers from banking on antioxidants. Indeed, antioxidant supplements represent a $500 million dollar industry that continues to grow. Antioxidants are still added to breakfast cereals, sports bars, energy drinks, and other processed foods, and they are promoted as additives that can prevent heart disease, cancer, cataracts, memory loss, and a host of other conditions.

ie, carrots are good for you, the rest is marketing shit.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Well a free-range, corn-fed, organic chicken certainly tastes better than your typical battery-farmed value chicken. However it's no better or worse for you health-wise and whether it's worth the extra price; only you can decide that.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Its the Guardian, most likely written on a beermat the night before. Absolute rag.
Raven doesn't like the Guardian, because they don't tell you that a Somalian family has got a 53 bedroom council house and receiving £3.6billion in benefits.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
No, I don't like them because they are as full of shit as the Daily Mail yet all the mouth breathers accept what they say as gospel.

Last edited:

soze

I am a FH squatter
It's a load of bollocks. There are no additional health benefits to be found eating organic over normal food.
This currently.

Some people argue that there will be long term health benefits but if I owned an Organic farm I would say that as it can't be disproved :)

Olgaline

FH is my second home
@russell If you have any tastebuds left, you will tend to prefer organicly produced food.
ofcause there are always exeptions to the rule but in general, yes, it's often better.

part of the reason is that you will often also find that a farmer that chooses organic methods will more effort into
producing the product in the first place.

so to cap it up, is it better due to regulations and rules? not nessersarily no, does it tend to taste better blindly or not? yes definatly!

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Factory produced food tastes like shit once you've tried the real stuff...as in real in a sort of totally genetically altered by man anyway..the tomatoes are grown super fast..chicken and other meats are pumped with water...eggs are dyed yellow...its not unhealthy just stretched out for max profits.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well a free-range, corn-fed, organic chicken certainly tastes better than your typical battery-farmed value chicken. However it's no better or worse for you health-wise and whether it's worth the extra price; only you can decide that.

Probably because it's had the right blend of water and flavour injected into its meat, whereas the cheap chicken will have just water.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Weird. Don't we have any "no, free range is healthier and you should never eat anything else" folks around?

Gonna be a boring thread :(

russell

FH is my second home
It does worry me how much our food is tampered with.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's fair, but i do like the fact that i don't have to shop constantly for food due to preservatives and such.

russell

FH is my second home
I am suspicious of how long food lasts.
I know that the consumer is getting what they want when bread lasts for a week without going mouldy, all our fruit and veg is perfect and our meat is all pink and plump in its packaging.
Things like watercress, you pick it fresh and it is wilting by the end of the day, you get it from a supermarket and it lasts a week.
It's just not natural.

russell

FH is my second home
It's fair, but i do like the fact that i don't have to shop constantly for food due to preservatives and such.
I see how that makes you happy but how do they do it for what seems longer and longer?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Only insofar as the "dirty secrets" aren't actually secrets at all. Lots of people know that cereal is a load of crap. That sterilised milk tastes horrible. That margarine is coloured plastic. Etc.

Food is pretty simple. We've evolved to eat whatever we can stab with a pointy stick, or pull off a branch, or dig from the ground. Everything else, you take your life in your hands.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I am suspicious of how long food lasts.
I know that the consumer is getting what they want when bread lasts for a week without going mouldy, all our fruit and veg is perfect and our meat is all pink and plump in its packaging.
Things like watercress, you pick it fresh and it is wilting by the end of the day, you get it from a supermarket and it lasts a week.
It's just not natural.

That's because fruit and vegetables release ethylene gas that accelerates their decay. Which is why, in lots of containers, you'll find a nice padded base to soak that gas up. Next time you buy raspberries, look at the bit of cloth on the base. It isn't for show.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
the original article cites sources, unlike that one linked. as to if it is all true or not...who knows?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I see how that makes you happy but how do they do it for what seems longer and longer?

Ofcourse foodtech(guess it's a thing) advances so they make more effective ways to package/preserve, but it's certainly unnatural. It's one of those things that you mind or don't, for me it's a simple matter of "does this taste bad", if it does then i won't eat it. Never been one to think about the effects of stuff, which kind of goes hand in hand with my usual live for now attitude.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Watched a TV show awhile back (pen and tellers bullshit) - they did background research into organic stuff and 9/10 times they used more pesticides etc than stuff they're trying to avoid by buying organic... its quite funny really.

couldn't find the full episode

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom