OLD FRONTIERS - Old Glory?

Do you think Old Frontiers should be back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kamorrista

Fledgling Freddie
Please vote above after reading, thanks :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpSn1-adEcwTHE OLD FRONTIERS

Many people has said Old Frontiers were better, also like many said ToA killed game, and some others said it wasn't like that.
The old frontiers were very different between each other (look different as terrain and lands).

DESIGN

For me, the first design was good, just they didn't expect RvR focusing on one area (Emain) so rest of areas were less often crowded,just ironic, because in NF one of the changes is maximize the size of area, even with lots of sea in the middle, mostly useless.

At first, you had permanent Instant RvR (funny and people don't get tired of porting, but they do of getting boat and probly sometimes getting ganked at docks), then you also had a PK (portal keep) to gather groups, be safe (although it had happened that they killed all guards once at APK, but needed like 150 peeps if I'm not wrong) and start RVRing from there to the Mile Gates, this also made people to ave active social place to look for group not only by advice chat or BGs but in person, you could see peeps talking and looking for group at keep, and down below the action awaited! :)

THE MILE GATES (MGs)

The Mile Gates, that was another good point, stealth wars, people using upstairs, closing or destroying doors, Hibs boxing PBAOE at room (famous event) or using terrain to hide, jump, fight and watch & report realm about fg going through, I miss AMG & MMG.

In the other Hand was also funny to use forests and hills near MPK/APK to ambush people or just run off to stealth or at least use environment to obfuscate yourself (mincer runs for example) I think that actually we don't use this environment as usual as OF, we do, just not like old times, imo.

KEEP TAKING

Keeps, like Dun Crauchon, often attacked due to proximity to MMG and not so far from APK after a run, was a permanent place of conflict, old keeps do not shine so huge like new, but I think they could have just upgrade old, anyway was always funny to go there as it was the most attacked keep.
Other keeps were funny to defend, as realm was informed, people gathered to defend, having a "realm honour spirit" like your land wants you, at least i felt this sensation at my first steps at DAoC when i started playing Midgard.

OTHER AREAS

Other Areas like Yggdra Forest, was just great to go there and fight wandering mids and some groups, area was plenty of snow, very different terrain from Alb or Hib, hills, forests, varulv camp towns and fortress, a lonely road often visited by stealthers (bag or life!) was really nice atmosphere, also the old land of albion, where the Green Knight was a fearsome npc, like a permanent invasor from hib (looks like elf) often killed people who pulled it, and skalds and other stuff ran the valleys up to the roads to attack travelers.

OLD RVR DUNGEONS
Also about the old dungeons in RVR, very different design for each one, Dodens gruva, Marfach caverns or hall of corrupt, all had an internal connection between them and was a way to fight vs enemies, farm or lvl, and also getting surprise attack to the other realms or setting another point to get Relics through, actually I don't like PoC design, almost the same in 3 realms, and corridors etc are nothing similar to exciting place, mobs are boring similar and repeteative, in the other old dungeons you had humanoids, trees, animals, guards, mages, charismatic nameds (the blue lady for example) etc.

POLL

Due to population maybe was needed to make areas larger, maybe not, but nowadays even with clusters, maybe OF would do, i bet 75% or more people would vote "YES" on a "Do u want OF Back?" poll

Not he same to put a Poll here, but let's try, what do u think?

YouTube- ‪DAOC Amg Old Emain‬‎ Video OF AMG

Down: Old Emain

Attachments

• emain_macha.jpg
    emain_macha.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 12

kamorrista

Fledgling Freddie
P.s.

kamorrista said:
old game without si still made crafters essentials for weapons or armor gear, yggdra forest was a beauty scenary to visit frontiers and fight mids at snow, very different terrains, the nf are just 3 "same" terrains, clonned zones like in a mirror, only midgard is a slightly changed version of albion & hibernia, maybe due to balancing game (using same terrain) but boring and predictable, old frontiers were more interesting, they all were used somehow, although daily rvr was at emain macha, which was great because was permanent instant rvr, whichever the situation about keeps/relics were.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
old game without si still made crafters essentials for weapons or armor gear, yggdra forest was a beauty scenary to visit frontiers and fight mids at snow, very different terrains, the nf are just 3 "same" terrains, clonned zones like in a mirror, only midgard is a slightly changed version of albion & hibernia, maybe due to balancing game (using same terrain) but boring and predictable, old frontiers were more interesting, they all were used somehow, although daily rvr was at emain macha, which was great because was permanent instant rvr, whichever the situation about keeps/relics were

SI wasn't a bad expansion at all. Even post SI people had to make sacrifices in their templates which made things more interesting. If everyone is 'maxed' in every department then the whole 'max' bit is irrelevant. It is only relevant when you have to make decisions over what to 'min' to achieve another 'max'.

having a "realm honour spirit" like your land wants you

This no longer exists because everyone has toons on multiple realms and swaps from one to another as they like. Not saying this is wrong, just this is the way it is.

Other Areas like Yggdra Forest, was just great to go there and fight wandering mids and some groups

They are there - people just don't go and fight there all the time. 90% of the population RvR's where there is insta port and no where else; 2% try and find they mythical 8v8 zone and the other 8% run around the xp spots. That's just the way it is and is everything to do with the players and nothing to do with the zone layout.

Basically it's the players that have changed and no amount of reverting to OF is going to save you from that.

kamorrista

Fledgling Freddie
SI wasn't a bad expansion at all. Even post SI people had to make sacrifices in their templates which made things more interesting. If everyone is 'maxed' in every department then the whole 'max' bit is irrelevant. It is only relevant when you have to make decisions over what to 'min' to achieve another 'max'.

I didn't say it was bad expansion ;)

This no longer exists because everyone has toons on multiple realms and swaps from one to another as they like. Not saying this is wrong, just this is the way it is.

I already said it is because of that in another thread, so i agree :)

Basically it's the players that have changed and no amount of reverting to OF is going to save you from that.

It is a respectable point of view, ofc it is because of players, but i do still believe is also terrain, to design an area also directly influences playstyle, this is a fact, another thing is to determine which one actually could be more influential, imho:)

about going back OF wouldn't revert it, probly not, but could improve actual situation, it's a chance, you can always try and return to NF system if they see it does not work, could worth a try tho :)

Genedril

Part of the furniture

You said that the old game w/o SI made crafters essential - I was saying that with SI crafters were essential. In fact I'd say that until spell crafting (1 patch before SI iirc) then armour crafting was a waste as the imbue's from Epic out weighed the benefit of the slightly higher AF on player crafted.

I already said it is because of that, so i agree :)

Can't see you saying that so my mistake for reading failure.

It is a respectable point of view, ofc it is because of players, but i do still believe is also terrain, to design an area also directly influences playstyle, this is a fact, another thing is to determine which one actually could be more influential, imho:)

about going back OF wouldn't revert it, probly not, but could improve actual situation, it's a chance, you can always try and return to NF system if they see it does not work, could worth a try tho :)

Of course the terrain influences playstyle. But Mile Gates were not that different from bridges with regards to encouraging camping. The present zones themselves have chokepoints and hills and all sorts. One major difference is the water which you may or may not like (I don't but that's a personal thing) but it helps achieve the chokepoints which people remember from the halcyon days.

The one thing Mythic tried to do (for right or wrong) is make people use the rest of the Frontiers by allowing porting to multiple keeps rather than keeping people using the same 3 frontier bridgeheads (relic raids excepted). Back in the day you'd not see any bugger in Castle Sauvage unless you lit up Ren and it was a pain to run all the way to.

kamorrista

Fledgling Freddie
You said that the old game w/o SI made crafters essential - I was saying that with SI crafters were essential. In fact I'd say that until spell crafting (1 patch before SI iirc) then armour crafting was a waste as the imbue's from Epic out weighed the benefit of the slightly higher AF on player crafted.

Yes ofc, even now they are essential i didn't xplain myself right, i just meant they were on the top, and there was almost no "drop" it was better than crafted stuff (almost!) and well yeah imbue the pieces was a must to make it better, it was supposed to work much before (it was already designed for it, but they didn't release imbue patch, in fact also as alchemist or spellcrafter there are some issues about herbs and stuff prepared for future craft options and still waiting for that :eek:

I mostly agree all u said

Killder

Can't get enough of FH
Nobody posted that picture of a dead horse being hit with a stick yet?

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Nobody posted that picture of a dead horse being hit with a stick yet?

You mean the fact that they've got sod all money, no proper devs and took 4 months to take out he Pumpkin Moon?

They didn't do this when they had the staff so the chances now are somewhere between never and when the big cheese moon falls out of the sky and solves world hunger.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
As much as I'd love to see OF be brough back, I don't think it would work these days, especially considering the amount of changes made to the game, characters and peoples playstyles and attitudes.

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
The annoying thing about New Frontiers is the Americans cutting ports all the time. They think this is good to annoy the opposition, and don't see how it cuts down their action also.

Spending ages getting somewhere only to be cut down by a stealther zerg is very annoying and leads me to quickly logging out.

At least with the Old Frontiers you can get to the action quicker.

They have made it too easy to take keeps and towers in the game at the minute. I think the game design is broken.

Lightfighter

One of Freddy's beloved
I'm agreeing with Gendril, switching maps wouln't change much other then the thrill of being in OF that'd last about an hour before you realized the Ywain community istn't what you remember your own community from back in the day.

Personally I'd welcome a switch just for some change of scenery though, but I don't mind the map staying as NF.

aika

Can't get enough of FH
Its not only the game that changed, you changed as well.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
The annoying thing about New Frontiers is the Americans cutting ports all the time. They think this is good to annoy the opposition, and don't see how it cuts down their action also.

That never happened on Dyvet and especially not while anyone was sleeping (as we at at least shared an almost common timezone).....

Agree about stealthers and the ease of getting to keeps but it's far easier to get around frontiers than it used to be thn - far too easy. Bring back the 10 minute port timer imho.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
As much as I'd love to see OF be brough back, I don't think it would work these days, especially considering the amount of changes made to the game, characters and peoples playstyles and attitudes.

The only way OF would work is if:

1. All abilities/ra's/spells were reverted back to pre-toa that means no added extras purely how it was prior to toa being released.

2. all toa and beyond gear was completely removed, nothing but SI gear should remain.

3. no stat caps or bonuses like melee speed/damage etc, we liked our 75 stats 200 hits and no % bonuses.

but alas, mythic just won't make a pure classic server... they fail to grasp how popular it would be.

Afran

Part of the furniture
I voted no. Not that this poll will make any difference, but still. I simply think OF wouldn't feel like it used to, it's been too long even if they did revert some of the changes in other areas since then (as listed above), I really don't dislike NF like some do. Sure it's largely based on sieging, but I've never done siege warfare/zerg stuff and I do not plan to, I still get along solo and small man and if I want 8 man I go agramon. it's just fine as it is imo short of the odd bad nights =P

Emain would be zeeeeeeeeerg with ywain's pop

Gotmagi

Can't get enough of FH
People would never go back to the old way of daoc.. waiting ages for a porter to come, running out and getting ganked right away just to wait again for a port. People are used to instant action now sadly.

Imo what kinda ruined the game was the introduction of maps/war maps and region chat in rvr zones. In OF you had to put in a certain effort to remember routes to certain areas/zones.. etc, brought some excitement to the game.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
I think the design of NF is actually better, it gets rid of the problems ppl QQd about in OF.

But at the same time, they have added stuff like boats, water, ports, stupid bridges etc which present new problems of their own.

Same shit different spoon.

Everz

FH is my second home
Give me OF any day of the week. Least it could handle population, NF currently is far to crowded.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
It would just be moving the same existing awful playerbase onto a new set of terrain. It would utterly ruin the nostalgia which I associate with Old Frontiers.

I'd prefer to see an Origins server implement it instead.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

But it ultimately was, not as bad as ToA, but bad enough to pretty much ruin the game long term.

Despite what ppl say it did stop making ppl have to choose what important stat to have and what to risk having low.

kamorrista

Fledgling Freddie
The only way OF would work is if:

1. All abilities/ra's/spells were reverted back to pre-toa that means no added extras purely how it was prior to toa being released.

2. all toa and beyond gear was completely removed, nothing but SI gear should remain.

3. no stat caps or bonuses like melee speed/damage etc, we liked our 75 stats 200 hits and no % bonuses.

but alas, mythic just won't make a pure classic server... they fail to grasp how popular it would be.

point 1.- I think we all would like this (at least many old players) but OF were co-existing with ToA for a while, still worked tho.

point 2.- same thing that point 1

point 3.- well, this could be the same, but i do think i don't need that bonuses, i liked old playstyle with slower casters etc (see video linked to this poll)

last point.- again you are right, they failed to do a pure classic server with OF, howcome they are so blind to realize, mostly of us think would be so popular... could start game like it was new (but knowing a lot about it, ok) but every1 would be rank 0L0 and lvl 1 (no /level 20 shit) old RAs, old Abilities (1st patches? dragonfang was too much aswell as shadowzerkers...for example) old gear, SI? well if it's pure classic shouldn't be, but this could be revised.

Anyway, will Mythic listen to people at any time? they didn't about these issues until nowadays :p at least we can speak about it here, even if they don't wan't to read.:twak:

kamorrista

Fledgling Freddie
P.s.

Notice that final result about poll (Do u want OF back?) would be answers that contains "YES" and in the other hand, answers that contain "NO" and a 3rd that would be "I don't like any of them" which means merging 2 for yes and 2 for no;)

for example: 10th aug. 2010:

Yes, I miss them 18 51.43%
No, NF are far better designed 1 2.86%
I don't like both of them 1 2.86%
Yes, but with siege update 7 20.00%
No, there is no place for it now 8 22.86%

------------------------------------------------------------> YES = 71,43%
----------------------------------------------------------------- NO = 25,72%
----------------------------------------------I don't like both of them = 2,86%

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
I'd like to see them run the whole OF as some event for a couple of weekends or a fortnight, whatever.

I think if they brought them back peeps would realise, why they changed them although. I don't think it would be much fun camping AMG for hours, or getting shafted by roaming grps trying to travel between keeps to emain, or spending 40mins getting down to sauvage solo fighting guard patrols on the way just to get zerged.

(but it would be for a little while :D )

FoxeH

One of Freddy's beloved
I'd love to see old OF back, I never enjoyed NF as much. Call it nostalgic, but I really really would like to see the old frontiers again ;(

... on a none freeshard server :p

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Even tho i voted yes, give Daoc 2 tbh, less useless nostalgia :m00:

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
point 1.- I think we all would like this (at least many old players) but OF were co-existing with ToA for a while, still worked tho.

point 2.- same thing that point 1

point 3.- well, this could be the same, but i do think i don't need that bonuses, i liked old playstyle with slower casters etc (see video linked to this poll)

last point.- again you are right, they failed to do a pure classic server with OF, howcome they are so blind to realize, mostly of us think would be so popular... could start game like it was new (but knowing a lot about it, ok) but every1 would be rank 0L0 and lvl 1 (no /level 20 shit) old RAs, old Abilities (1st patches? dragonfang was too much aswell as shadowzerkers...for example) old gear, SI? well if it's pure classic shouldn't be, but this could be revised.

Anyway, will Mythic listen to people at any time? they didn't about these issues until nowadays :p at least we can speak about it here, even if they don't wan't to read.:twak:

It would be popular but as i've said it previous posts it won't cause thousands of players to instantly renew, it may cause 500-1500 tops to renew which is still a + for mythic given the effort they'd have to put in to make an OF server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom