OLD FRONTIERS - Old Glory?

Do you think Old Frontiers should be back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Everz

FH is my second home
I dunno, potentially it could bring a 2kish (of resubs) server id say.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Honestly i wouldn't mind em trying copy WoW or Eve or Wh as long as there's the option of a meaningful Open RvR with a decent CC system and 3 Factions -.-

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Honestly i wouldn't mind em trying copy WoW or Eve or Wh as long as there's the option of a meaningful Open RvR with a decent CC system and 3 Factions -.-
I wouldnt mind trying Kylie Minogue for a night, about the same chance of that happening.

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
The OF server gets about what? 800 pop per night?
I'm sure Mythic are well aware of the popularity but I think the first stage is going to be merging all the euro-clusters into ywain.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
The OF server gets about what? 800 pop per night?
I'm sure Mythic are well aware of the popularity but I think the first stage is going to be merging all the euro-clusters into ywain.

More mindless zerglings inc aye.

Everz

FH is my second home
Go figure :s?

Get the all server into one, then move forward from their.

Amphrax

Part of the furniture
I voted no. Not that this poll will make any difference, but still. I simply think OF wouldn't feel like it used to, it's been too long even if they did revert some of the changes in other areas since then (as listed above), I really don't dislike NF like some do. Sure it's largely based on sieging, but I've never done siege warfare/zerg stuff and I do not plan to, I still get along solo and small man and if I want 8 man I go agramon. it's just fine as it is imo short of the odd bad nights =P

Emain would be zeeeeeeeeerg with ywain's pop

If it makes Emain zergy with ywains population then from my point of view would make more people to spread and venture into other places and not stick to emain.

Everz

FH is my second home
That was the beauty of OF, the action was far more spread out, despite it being much smaller then NF.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
That was the beauty of OF, the action was far more spread out, despite it being much smaller then NF.

Because the good groups could kill the zerg so the zerg stayed away from them.

That's not really the case any more so it'd be the same as NF in a much smaller zone.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture

Yeah there were some very unfair things in the game at the time and peeps forget about it. Not sure what year we went OF >> NF, but I'm sure if you search some old threads here just before it happened there was clearly 'trouble at mill'.

Dunno if it was just that johnny casual had no RR at that time, the openess of OF mean you could get farmed easy, or b4 the reworking of RA's which meant 1 or 2 alert players in a zerg could basically fuck over a fg bombing them, but it all changed then. Before NF a small minority of HC players was basically dominating RvR anyhow and it wasn't much fun if you weren't part of it.

Puppet

Part of the furniture

That's not really the case any more so it'd be the same as NF in a much smaller zone.

I don't agree, it was mostly because in order to get somewhere you actually had to run there for the biggest part. While at that time it was pretty ZzzZ to run from Ligen --> Emain (as a Hib) it did mean you had a much more spread out action.

In NF when Hibs have port to DC the odds of meeting something between Ligen and Crauchon is so slim most people don't bother --> vicious circle.

(I know you have the occasional XP-killers so to speak; but they are often stealthers which you can't find anyhow xD)

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Dodging guards in OF was always fun on my mincer , or camping AMG Solo with moc3 up on my Cabby :p

Genedril

Part of the furniture
I don't agree, it was mostly because in order to get somewhere you actually had to run there for the biggest part. While at that time it was pretty ZzzZ to run from Ligen --> Emain (as a Hib) it did mean you had a much more spread out action.

In NF when Hibs have port to DC the odds of meeting something between Ligen and Crauchon is so slim most people don't bother --> vicious circle.

(I know you have the occasional XP-killers so to speak; but they are often stealthers which you can't find anyhow xD)

Years of stealthing that stretch made it possibly the most hated of places. When I relented and tried to play with other people and rolled a bard I ran to that place endlessly but it wasn't so bad (or at least I got there quicker). Occasionally I'd get jumped on the way down but 90% of the time I'd run into DS in Emain bowl or at the Alb MG. They were still there when I went visible.

Back in the day though Emain was camped by a couple of decent mid groups and FL then PE. People would run down there and get smacked around whether trying to run as a group, a pug or a zerg (hell even groups I was in smacked zergs every so often). There was some action in HW and Odins but it was much harder to find (though at least Odins had the humour of Mael's Frost Stallion charming exploits...).

Don't get me wrong the OF days were by far the best I've had in DAoC but...

People have changed; classes have changed; and RA's have changed. We'd go back there and then think 'it's the same old shit but now in somewhere I thought I loved'.

Everz

FH is my second home
Maybe my time in DAoC has past then, as NF has an interest factor of an hour or two before I feel like peeling my eyes out if I ever take another boat or cross another bridge again.

Yet didnt mind the portals or amgs back in OF, but then I liked roaming solo, in and around dodens/hoc and other areas running on charges(something of which isnt possible these days :(). It's each to their own, but I would have OF back within a heartbeat.

kamorrista

Fledgling Freddie
Don't get me wrong the OF days were by far the best I've had in DAoC but...

People have changed; classes have changed; and RA's have changed. We'd go back there and then think 'it's the same old shit but now in somewhere I thought I loved'.

So maybe would worth a try to get back OF as an event for some days? like i dunno, being trapped in a time vortex the 3 realms have to fight each others until their realm earn enough bps to switch off the time disfunction with some weird strange spell from their capital cities(?), i dunno how the background could be, but something about being trapped in the past would be funny (like BTTF film they go to the past but they know things from the future) so every1 keeps their RA's stuff etc, just they are trapped in OF zones when they port to RvR, well do not mind me much attention about it, I just think it would be funny an event similar to this, everyone (maybe 80% of people?) would /clap a 7 days event like this, maybe 14 days event :) would be a nostalgic funny thing with lots of action imho:flame:

Genedril

Part of the furniture
...(though at least Odins had the humour of Mael's Frost Stallion charming exploits...).

Of course I meant Exploit in the sense of 'an act or deed' and not in a 'he's a r0xx0r cheat' sort of way.

Thought I'd clarify that one ;p.

Maybe my time in DAoC has past then, as NF has an interest factor of an hour or two before I feel like peeling my eyes out if I ever take another boat or cross another bridge again.

Starting to think the same thing. Giving the solo thing a go again as I stopped pretty much around SI. I'll see how that goes but I'm not holding out much hope.

Everz

FH is my second home
Starting to think the same thing. Giving the solo thing a go again as I stopped pretty much around SI. I'll see how that goes but I'm not holding out much hope.

I've opted for Thidranki these days. NF solo is a torrid time (may be due to playing a timer whore that is a chanter), Laby my computer can't handle, and DF thanks to the french is never out of the hands of hibs.

Unless theres a frontier or fresh start i'm believing my days are numbered to the BGs :D.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Of course I meant Exploit in the sense of 'an act or deed' and not in a 'he's a r0xx0r cheat' sort of way.

Ah yes, teh famous frost stallion kill all your own support exploit. I always say (but nobody listens) we had a stalemate fight vs AoD caster grp there and the stallion killed about half their grp on it's own - it won us at one fight if nothing else!

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Ah yes, teh famous frost stallion kill all your own support exploit. I always say (but nobody listens) we had a stalemate fight vs AoD caster grp there and the stallion killed about half their grp on it's own - it won us at one fight if nothing else!

Did it then kill all of us too or was that another fight?

old.Eyez

Can't get enough of FH
1 good thing about NF, is that the PvE players got a chance to try RvR! They could nothing in OF, the PvE guilds/players where easy RPs for the few RvR guilds there was in each realm on Excalibur tho!

So as we could see when NF came out most of the campers where new names in rvr, or PvE playrs there where trying to get rr2-3 :p

But yes i also love OF and had my best days and personal rvr records in OF!

But then again in OF ppl didnt had many chances solo in a keep fight as they have now, ppl have easier by leeching now in NF! And that makes the old rvr players (like myself) go mad from time to time!

But hey it is Realm versus Realm! not guild versus guild like it was in OF!

That was my point/opinion!

Now I will resub my accounts later tonight and see if the game is worth it or if everybody are playing Shadowblades!

kamorrista

Fledgling Freddie
still poll is determining atm that people would like OF back, or at least for a try on special event, most of them like/love the old frontiers, but no doubt it may need some changes/improvements, i guess everyone would like an OF try event? :)

Genedril

Part of the furniture
still poll is determining atm that people would like OF back, or at least for a try on special event, most of them like/love the old frontiers, but no doubt it may need some changes/improvements, i guess everyone would like an OF try event? :)

43 people saying that out of a couple of thousand that play on Ywain would mean that people may or may not.

I certainly wouldn't - the more I think about it the more I think I'd not like to go back to OF. The days of trying to win against PE and Maelstrom and their ilk with 90%+ of the fights not having adds are long gone and I'd quite like to preserve those memories.

kamorrista

Fledgling Freddie
43 people saying that out of a couple of thousand that play on Ywain would mean that people may or may not.

I certainly wouldn't - the more I think about it the more I think I'd not like to go back to OF. The days of trying to win against PE and Maelstrom and their ilk with 90%+ of the fights not having adds are long gone and I'd quite like to preserve those memories.

Ofc m8 that actually 40 or 60 people won't tell as 1000, but this is just a poll, can't pretend everyone to vote, just guides your thoughts on it, OF has bad points aswell as NF, the thing is which one would people preffer, anyway that isn't meaning there is no place for a short OF back event, is it? :)

can always think that OF could be back but changed into improved area &/or siege update ;)

Genedril

Part of the furniture
If you have OF keeps then you need siege to work the way it used to. Keeps were to small for breaking walls and siege towers. Only assassins with climb walls again too (though that never stopped DS and co. ninjaing keeps).

If we went back to no RA's or everyone made RR1 again / RR's taking as long as they used to to gain them / same players as used to be around / and when decent groups weren't hated by their realm mates and they didn't abuse every one for adding then I'd be quite happy - can't turn the clock back though.

kamorrista

Fledgling Freddie
OF is not that hard to make it work

If you have OF keeps then you need siege to work the way it used to. Keeps were to small for breaking walls and siege towers. Only assassins with climb walls again too (though that never stopped DS and co. ninjaing keeps).

If we went back to no RA's or everyone made RR1 again / RR's taking as long as they used to to gain them / same players as used to be around / and when decent groups weren't hated by their realm mates and they didn't abuse every one for adding then I'd be quite happy - can't turn the clock back though.

I guess you can use Old keep models and upgrade it, introducing the new size, climb points and graphics (etc) but respecting original form, also can use OF area and enlarge it, like a 1.5 scale (why not?) original RR earning point can be boring now that people are used to earn RPs almost for everything and more than before, new players would complain (or new chars) if now we go back again for harder RPs (anyway this is not the main issue imho), about people behaviour, this is something you cannot change so much, and it is not so much to do about the game design.

Can worth a try into a Week duration Event, the only thing stopping this can be Mythic isn't interested working into old stuff renew event, imho ofc:drink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom