TV New Season!

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Watched 3 and a bit episodes of WoT and I think it's absolutely crap. So disappointed, as I'm loving the books. Does it get better?

Just unread the books and youll enjoy it

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
On the Wheel of Time, I wish they had fleshed out the lore of the world more. To name a few ways they could inject it seamlessly:
- Tom Merrilin and his stories
- Reading or quoting the book The Travels of Jain Farstrider
- Storytelling by the fire with the tinkers

There's just so many missed opportunities to spend a few minutes enriching the world in every episode. In the books, someone (a Koplin?) in Emond's field apparently mentions the dark one by name, and the Wisdom thumps him good. I think maybe Matt maybe mentions him too. Which leads everyone to say the phrase at once: " The Dark One and all of the Forsaken are bound in Shayol Ghul, beyond the Great Blight, bound by the Creator at the moment of Creation, bound until the end of time. The hand of the Creator shelters the world, and the Light shines on us all".

Now we've introduced the dark one (By name, no less!), the Forsaken, Shayol Ghul, the blight, the creator, all in one go, without Rosamund Pike yapping. It's so frustrating when there's off screen monologues that could be told in person as part of the story. That to me is the biggest fault of the show. I enjoyed it, but the whole thing could have done with an additional episode or two just setting up the world and lore. We see the Forsaken stone statues briefly, but only 8 (or 9?), not 13, so maybe in this age, there's a few missing, but two were definitely mentioned: Lanfear and Ishmael. Lanfear is used to scare little children into behaving, or she will stalk their dreams and give them nightmares. I can see Matt telling his sisters about her. Ishmael is mentioned as the great deceiver. I'm sure there's a way they could have introduced him too.

I don't think the show has shown us a map, so we don't really have any context of where things are. I think in the books, the Inn has a big map that all the boys studied (daydreamed over).

The Aiel war.... why were they fighting near Dragonmount? Easy enough to explain using the scenes available... Tom Merrilin again, with the dead Aiel in the cage. A few sentences explaining why they crossed the Spine of the World 20 some years ago, and perhaps musing why they were doing so again.

The Horn of Valere... I don't know where to start. They should have explained what it was, and why it was important. They could easily do that with having a few hunters of the horn in the same inn that Rand and Matt meet Tom Merrilin. That could then be used to explain who Arthur Hawking was, why he was important, and sets up critical plot elements for the next season.

The show could be so much more, if they had just spent a few minutes to tell people about the world, without spoon feeding it.

The last episode especially was a mess. I get the feeling Covid fucked them over for a lot of this season but even with that excuse many of the faults can't be explained away. S1 overall gets a 5/10 from me.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I just thought it was wank from beginning to end. Bad story, bad actors, bad direction, just bad.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I just thought it was wank from beginning to end. Bad story, bad actors, bad direction, just bad.
The acting is the worst bit for me. Shocking. Mat and Rand in particular, all the women do an OK job.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Ugh, Dexter: New Blood. It had its moments and the ending wasn't as bad as the original but fucking hell, it wasn't far off.

Zarjazz

Ugh, Dexter: New Blood. It had its moments and the ending wasn't as bad as the original but fucking hell, it wasn't far off.

The season was pretty good overall, possibly better than everything after season 4. But yeah, that ending felt rushed with little to no justification.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I've watched the first couple of episodes of 1883, it's much more interesting than Yellowstone which really seems to be running out of ideas.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Sorry should have said it is the red band trailer for The Legends of Vox Machina : I am so excited for this… not only have this group op people given my husband and I many hundreds of hours of entertainment but the story comes from the effect of rolling some dice. Those voices you hear played the original campaign and are playing their own creations - I hope some of you with DND backgrounds and a prime subscription watch it - no prior knowledge needed just a love of 80s 90s cartoons and fantasy :). Enjoy!

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Peacemaker is out also if anyone is interested:

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Just finished Stay Close, was a fun whodunit
though wrapping up all the loose ends right at the end as an almost afterthought was a bit naff

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Peacemaker is out also if anyone is interested:

Just watched a few episodes and it is pretty decent.
Will definitely be watching more of it

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Just finished Stay Close, was a fun whodunit
though wrapping up all the loose ends right at the end as an almost afterthought was a bit naff

I thought it was absolute dogshit. Who runs away to change their identity and only moves a couple of miles away? It was also awash with so many ridiculous coincidences I lost count. And don't get me started on the geography; as someone originally from that part of the world I was like "WTF?" every five minutes (and yes I know its supposed to a fictional place, but then they filled it full of very non-fictional iconic landmarks).

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I thought it was absolute dogshit. Who runs away to change their identity and only moves a couple of miles away?
Not seen it but my wife watched it and was fuming about this. Told me about it 20 times.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Got two on the go at the moment

Not a massive fan of Western's but this actually alright. Quite gritty albeit the storyline is a tad predictable and linear

Station Eleven

Sure I read somewhere that they started producing this before the Pandemic. Anywho the storyline is about a global flu virus that ravages the world population. It does take a few episodes to get into it and you really are feeling out who the protagonist is. It's not a Walking Dead kind of apocalypse thing.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Got two on the go at the moment

Not a massive fan of Western's but this actually alright. Quite gritty albeit the storyline is a tad predictable and linear

Station Eleven

Sure I read somewhere that they started producing this before the Pandemic. Anywho the storyline is about a global flu virus that ravages the world population. It does take a few episodes to get into it and you really are feeling out who the protagonist is. It's not a Walking Dead kind of apocalypse thing.
I've heard good things about Station Eleven, it's on my list. I'm working my way through Six Feet Under at the moment, it's one of those shows I always knew about and heard good things about but never got around to watching.

Zarjazz

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Utterly underwhelmed.

I think the really fucking awful voiceover killed it for me.

Zero tingles. In fact - that trailer was the anti-tingle. And I'm a massive LOTR fanboi.

Gwadien

Utterly underwhelmed.

I think the really fucking awful voiceover killed it for me.

Zero tingles. In fact - that trailer was the anti-tingle. And I'm a massive LOTR fanboi.
Underwhelmed by a fucking title announcement?

Wow

What were you expecting?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Underwhelmed by a fucking title announcement?

Wow

What were you expecting?
The whole point of any marketing announcement is to drum up enthusiasm.

That did the opposite for me. Kind of fell at the first hurdle. Which doesn't bode well tbh.

Gwadien

The whole point of any marketing announcement is to drum up enthusiasm.

That did the opposite for me. Kind of fell at the first hurdle. Which doesn't bode well tbh.

I dunno.

These kind of trailers are like for the 0.1% of people that are going to make Youtube videos breaking down every little meaning behind the video.

The other 99.9% don't give a fuck and respond with 'meh'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom