Nerdy awesome shit we want

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
So I'm not expecting a great deal until next year in terms of solar, but yesterday's figures:

House Used: 18.9kWh
Sources: Solar 30.9%, Powerwall 14.3%, Grid 54.8%.
It takes from a battery in your power wall?
Which i guess was topped up the day before?

Embattle

FH is my second home
It takes from a battery in your power wall?
Which i guess was topped up the day before?

In the case of that day it was any excess during the middle of the day where use was low but solar was good.

This time of year as we head in to winter the solar won't create a great deal, there is a time of use function on the Powerwall which would work with a economy 7 tariff. If I was on a economy 7 tariff the Powerwall TOU would use these times to fill itself up with grid electricity.

Embattle

FH is my second home
So some more information:

• Power generation starts about 1 hour after sunrise and stops about 1 hour before sunset at the moment.
  • The Powerwall is limited to 3.7kWh output, this means that any load requirements above this needs another source such as the solar/grid or both.

Embattle

FH is my second home
So we just managed 24 hours without using any grid energy, well yesterday we had nice autumn sunshine and low usage so it looks good for summer next year.

Embattle

FH is my second home
So here is the first weeks breakdown 30 Sep - 06 Oct

Home Usage = 122kWh
Solar Energy = 47.8kWh
Powerwall = 14.3 kWh
Grid = 81.1kWh

There is an easy performance figure provided in the app, in the case of the above week it showed as 34% self-powered with the lowest day on 30th Sep at 15% and the highest being 2nd Oct at 66%.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What's your payback time at that rate?

Be nice to see how the performance works over a whole year - with a MoM breakdown :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
So here is the first weeks breakdown 30 Sep - 06 Oct

Home Usage = 122kWh
Solar Energy = 47.8kWh
Powerwall = 14.3 kWh
Grid = 81.1kWh

There is an easy performance figure provided in the app, in the case of the above week it showed as 34% self-powered with the lowest day on 30th Sep at 15% and the highest being 2nd Oct at 66%.
Hows the math wwork?

47.8 + 14.7 = 62.5 or so - 122 would mean 59kw from grid?
Wheres the extra 30 to make 80 from the grid go? Or is my math wrong?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Well you must remember that solar figure is the total generated, in a normal solar only system what you don't use at the time of generation goes back to the grid but in our system it goes to the Powerwall thus you don't add it to the solar energy figure but subtract it.

You'll still see some variance in figures due to efficiency, starting/ending levels, backup reserve, etc.

Below is the app graphs for that week:

Screenshot_20191008-185856.png

@Scouse It'll be a full year before we have a good idea of what we are getting out of the solar versus the installer figures, plus the figures didn't include the Powerwall which alters them quite a bit. I think I calculated their figures gave me an estimated 10 year payback period.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What's the expected lifetime of the kit?

Embattle

FH is my second home
What's the expected lifetime of the kit?

So the parts are as follows:

Solar Panels - 25 Year Warranty.
Inverters - Normally last 10 years.
Powerwall - 10 year unlimited cycle warranty with guaranteed 80% power retention.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Thing is - it's coming along just as telly is becoming less and less relevant IMO.

Years ago I dreamed of having a wall telly like in aliens or total recall, but nowadays I'd rather go outside.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I don't believe TV is becoming less relevant.
TV streaming is a huge market. Why would Apple and Disney start with their streaming if TV wasn't a growing industry?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Thing is - it's coming along just as telly is becoming less and less relevant IMO.

Years ago I dreamed of having a wall telly like in aliens or total recall, but nowadays I'd rather go outside.
Live Broadcast tv is becoming less relevant. Tv as an entertainment medium is as relevant as it ever was.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Live Broadcast tv is becoming less relevant. Tv as an entertainment medium is as relevant as it ever was.

I only ever use my TVs as displays. Netflix & Plex.

The only actual broadcast TV time my devices get is when the inlaws visit.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I only ever use my TVs as displays. Netflix & Plex.

The only actual broadcast TV time my devices get is when the inlaws visit.
Exactly the same here - and then it's only iplayer for them as we don't subscribe to any providers and don't plug an aerial in.

Embattle

FH is my second home
So it seems on a sunny winter days the solar system managed to produce 4.5-5.0 kWh of energy.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Yeah, a few more figures for the months following install:

Oct - 205 kWh
Nov - 90.9 kWh

This should continue to decrease in December and January due to less daylight hours and the angle of the sun. Although it'll be interesting come early spring as it'll improve.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I did a small change yesterday by changing the Powerwall to Backup-only mode rather than Self-Powered so it would fully charge off the grid in case of a power cut due to the storm, upon changing it back to Self-Powered I increased the Reserve for Power outages from 15% to 60% since there is less generation to fill it up and we are more likely to lose power this time of year.

Embattle

FH is my second home
So the Tesla has another feature which seems to of recently been activated in the UK which would make the above action unnecessary, Storm Watch became active at midnight before both of the recent storms hit the UK on our Powerwall.

Storm Watch

Severe weather is the leading cause of power outages. Storm Watch mode allows you to maximize savings by keeping a low reserve percentage in Self-Powered or Time-Based Control mode, while still having peace of mind that Powerwall will protect you during a severe weather event.

Powerwall communicates with the National Weather Service to know when severe weather is on the horizon and automatically triggers Storm Watch. This mode pushes the limits and charges Powerwall to maximum capacity so it can provide backup power.

When activated, the Tesla app will notify you that you are now in Storm Watch mode. This remains active until the weather event ends. After, the system returns to its previously selected mode. Although you cannot turn on Storm Watch or adjust it, you can disable this mode altogether by going to the Tesla app, selecting 'Customize' and adjusting the slider next to 'Storm Watch'.

Note that Storm Watch only activates during severe storms that are likely to knock down power lines and cause outages, like hurricanes and ice storms. To best protect yourself from everyday weather events, keep a high reserve percentage or choose Backup-Only. As your Powerwall learns more about the type of storms that typically cause outages, events that trigger Storm Watch will be adjusted.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Working hard.
Best keep that under your desk out of sight then or you'll be the first person in history to get done for being sexually inappropriate at work over Teams/Skype/etc.

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom