Mounting Windows Folders

S

SoWat

Am I doing this right?

I want to mount windows folders (I'm dual-booting RH9 with XP). I've done the following:

mkdir /mnt/windows
mount /dev/hda1 ntfs /mnt/windows 1 1

Obviously I only have to do the mkdir once, but I'm getting a message saying the kernel doesn't recognise ntfs.

Do I need to add something into the kernel, or have I gotten the commands wrong?

If I need to add something into the kernel, how do I do that?

filesystems shows the following:
ext3
ext2
nodev proc
nodev devpts
iso9660
vfat
hfs

Cheers

W

Will

You need to build a custom kernel with NTFS support. The last time I tried this, NTFS support was poor to say the least. Read support was very much beta, and write support warned you that it was not to be used with ANY valuable data.

I'd type something like "Red Hat 9 custom kernel howto" into google if I were you.;)

S

SoWat

Hmmmn, the page I found goes into all sorts of detail about getting sources and recompiling!

I think I'll give that a miss:cool:

W

Will

Originally posted by SoWat
Hmmmn, the page I found goes into all sorts of detail about getting sources and recompiling!

I think I'll give that a miss:cool:
That sunds about right...its not too bad really, though it does take a long time to do.

F

FatBusinessman

Just do what I do - if there's any data you want to be accessible to both operating systems (MP3s, documents, etc) put it on a FAT32 partition.

S

SoWat

Good idea!

I've converted my 2nd hard drive to Fat32 (good old Partitionmagic), and can mount that fine.

I now find that mp3 support has been disabled in Redhat9 due to some licensing issues :eek:

W

Will

Originally posted by SoWat
I now find that mp3 support has been disabled in Redhat9 due to some licensing issues :eek:
Heh, Red Hat make me laugh.

S

SoWat

Some kind soul has made the necessary RPMs available to enable MP3 playback... now installed :)

Listening to my old Osibisa tunes now (I'm afraid Linux can't help my music taste).

Users who are viewing this thread