Most overated band in the world?

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Here is a thread where you can rant about bands that you hate but seem to held in some kind of high esteem.

ReActor

Fledgling Freddie
Oh God... this is like the Ultimate Flame War thread.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Sonic Youth. Always have and always will (maybe) hate them. Like I said before pretentious following != good band

mank!

Part of the furniture
leggy said:
Sonic Youth. Always have and always will (maybe) hate them. Like I said before pretentious following != good band
ooh :eek:

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Nibbler said:
The Darkness

PS - Teh Strokes are teh c00l!!!11

Agreed on both points. What's the point of The Darkness? BUY A QUEEN ALBUM FFS If you like that sort of shit.

leggy

Probably Scottish
DaGaffer said:
Agreed on both points. What's the point of The Darkness? BUY A QUEEN ALBUM FFS If you like that sort of shit.

That's like saying "what's the point in buying generic rock band 1 as it sounds just the same as generic rock band 2?"

You buy a band's albums because you like their songs and you don't discard them if they sound remotely like someone else.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
I'm going for the popular vote. :p

Radiohead, apart from some songs I've never liked them. Even Ok Computer never really did it for me.

/edit Them songs being, Fake Plastic trees, Street Spirit and creep.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
The Beatles.

Bland, run of the mill boredom without much musical talent. Most influencial band in the world my arse. Totally boring.

Jonny_Darko

Fledgling Freddie
Swift^ said:
The Beatles.

Bland, run of the mill boredom without much musical talent. Most influencial band in the world my arse. Totally boring.

Agreed.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Evanescence.

Some variation if you please, miss opera singer

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
Munkey said:
Evanescence.

Some variation if you please, miss opera singer

You want operatic rock, try Nightwish.

Most overrated? Tough call. Anything created on a TV show would probably be my vote. This includes Ant & Dec.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Breni said:
You want operatic rock, try Nightwish.

Most hated? Tough call. Anything created on a TV show would probably be my vote. This includes Ant & Dec.

You'll find the thread is name most OVERATED, not hated.

Please amend your answer. Thnx :p

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
leggy said:
You'll find the thread is name most OVERATED, not hated.

Please amend your answer. Thnx :p

Fair enough, but wouldn't most people also admit they hate the bands they're posting here? :D

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
No, I don't hate radiohead. I'm not a fan but if I could be arsed to obtain the new album I would. I just don't think they're as good as everyone thinks. Also just thought, I liked pyramid song as well.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Also, Banana Co rocks :p

Coldplay, like a couple of their songs, but, mmmmmm na

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
FuzzyLogic said:
Also, Banana Co rocks :p

Coldplay, like a couple of their songs, but, mmmmmm na

Coldplay are utter, and unremitting, crap. Never, in all my days, have I heard such a bunch of mawkish, whinging, naval-staring, anally-retentive drivel. His lyrics are bested by the most dire sixth-form poetry imaginable. Awful.

You can just imagine Chris Martin, age 16, sitting in his darkened bedroom wondering why he keeps getting beaten up so much and why girls keep avoiding him. Occaisionally venturing into the bathroom to crush another festering blackhead.

As for marrying Gwenyth Paltrow! Never have two people so wet been thrown together by the winds of fate. It would put the average weekend in Bognor to shame. Like some 'critical mass' of sickening wetness. Or like drowning in wet fudge.

Disgusting.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I disagree with the principle of this thread. Bad Scooba :eek:

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
So, i'm going out on a limb here and guessing that you don't have much regard for Coldplay? ^^

Friends saw them live before they hit it big, and thought JJ72 and Embrace were both better than them (JJ72/Coldplay were supporting Embrace at the time)

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
FuzzyLogic said:
Friends saw them live before they hit it big, and thought JJ72 and Embrace were both better than them (JJ72/Coldplay were supporting Embrace at the time)

The fact that they were supporting Embrace speaks volumes. If I ever have the misfortune to hear 'All you Good Good People' again I swear I will main something. Something cute and furry.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
JJ72 were fucking awful, Embrace were dodgy at best.

Coldplay can actually play and play well, whilst I might not think much of their music I can still admit it is well written (I'm not even on about lyrics here but what I have heard of them to me personally is fine).

I'd rather have Coldplay than the Fast Food Rockers.

HOWEVER...for the purposes of this thread, yes I do think they are overrated ;)

Personally I think The Rolling Stones hit a peak in the 70s and are now one of the most overrated bands going. Don't get me wrong their early stuff is fantastic.

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Well I have said my views on Muse already although in another thread.

Metallica is interesting because yes they are most certainly overrated seeing as they have'nt managed to do a all the way good record since the black album(no, not the Jay-Z One :eek: ). On the other hand they have put out some great records in the past and I think alot of there oldschool fans are fans nomatter what they put out. Add to that there one of the classic live bands and your bound to have less the objective critisim from alot of people.

Dont ask me what the concept behind st.anger was. Poor production as a gimmick does'nt make your sound fresh boys. It's not a bad album, I just excpected so much more from the guys that made practise behind the kit 4 hours a day to get "One" sounding right when I was younger. Some say that St.Anger is a more hard listen then the older cd's, granted you get rewarded for not throwing it out the window after the first run but still it's far from there old classics high standard. What I wish for is that they would pick up where they left off after master of puppets, not that that's gonna happend but you can always hope.

One thing about the subject of overrated bands is that it's often based on passed achivements and success. You could say that Radiohead has gotten worse but at the same time musicians cant make the same stuff over and over without at the end loosing the spark that made those songs great in the first place and ultimately losing interest in making music at all. They have to evolve. If it's for the better or the worse depends. People tend to judge bands that take another direction then they would have liked more harshly from that on. Like someone pointed out in another thread Radiohead certainly had there hands full trying to top OK Computer. ( I lost interest in Radiohead after OK Computer, they are certainly not overrated but they just dont do it for me anymore)

Only Evanescence song worth getting is the really nice ballad with Amy Lee and her voice at a piano, the rest of the album is just drenched in uinspired riffs and catchy choruses that would make Michael Jackson blush. As above mentioned if you want symphonic female vocals listen to nightwish, Tarja has a flawless live voice granted you can hear a pretty thick finnish accent at times.

Never really got the whole "saviours of rock" thing about The Strokes either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom