Most overated band in the world?

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
So many over-rated bands.
I would name a few but would probably be told to shut up or fuck off, or a subtle blend and roast of the two.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Jonaldo said:
So many over-rated bands.
I would name a few but would probably be told to shut up or fuck off, or a subtle blend and roast of the two.

Ah, that's the point of this thread, just go for it and as long as you don't pick The Mars Volta you won't get flamed (by me).

leggy

Probably Scottish
Ok then.

cheeky girls.

Calling them shite is overating them.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Good lord swiftbag. Mars volta really are the daddy.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
At the Drive In were far superior. They took the worst parts of them out, added 20 tonnes of drugs, tuned their instruments to the sounds of pigs fucking and played a rendition of the shit that comes out of Wij's arse. What talent!

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Swift^ said:
At the Drive In were far superior. They took the worst parts of them out, added 20 tonnes of drugs, tuned their instruments to the sounds of pigs fucking and played a rendition of the shit that comes out of Wij's arse. What talent!

I beg your pardon? Have you actually listened to 'Deloused in The Comatorium'? More to the point, citing your example of At the Drive In, are you actually from this planet?

The Mars Volta are, and will no doubt continue to be, an absolutely stunning band. For a debut album, Deloused stands up there with the best of them. It's ambitious and innovative. How many bands do you know who release (whisper it) a concept album as a debut?

Sorry, you are very very wrong here. Go listen to it again.

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
shanks said:
Well I have said my views on Muse already although in another thread.

Metallica is interesting because yes they are most certainly overrated seeing as they have'nt managed to do a all the way good record since the black album(no, not the Jay-Z One :eek: ). On the other hand they have put out some great records in the past and I think alot of there oldschool fans are fans nomatter what they put out. Add to that there one of the classic live bands and your bound to have less the objective critisim from alot of people.

Dont ask me what the concept behind st.anger was. Poor production as a gimmick does'nt make your sound fresh boys. It's not a bad album, I just excpected so much more from the guys that made practise behind the kit 4 hours a day to get "One" sounding right when I was younger. Some say that St.Anger is a more hard listen then the older cd's, granted you get rewarded for not throwing it out the window after the first run but still it's far from there old classics high standard. What I wish for is that they would pick up where they left off after master of puppets, not that that's gonna happend but you can always hope.

One thing about the subject of overrated bands is that it's often based on passed achivements and success. You could say that Radiohead has gotten worse but at the same time musicians cant make the same stuff over and over without at the end loosing the spark that made those songs great in the first place and ultimately losing interest in making music at all. They have to evolve. If it's for the better or the worse depends. People tend to judge bands that take another direction then they would have liked more harshly from that on. Like someone pointed out in another thread Radiohead certainly had there hands full trying to top OK Computer. ( I lost interest in Radiohead after OK Computer, they are certainly not overrated but they just dont do it for me anymore)

Only Evanescence song worth getting is the really nice ballad with Amy Lee and her voice at a piano, the rest of the album is just drenched in uinspired riffs and catchy choruses that would make Michael Jackson blush. As above mentioned if you want symphonic female vocals listen to nightwish, Tarja has a flawless live voice granted you can hear a pretty thick finnish accent at times.

Never really got the whole "saviours of rock" thing about The Strokes either.
master of puppets was there first album black album was there second ;) and metallica are going down hill buts thats because there running out of stuff to do

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
The Mars Volta aren't dire, but they are overrated.

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
i dont like mars volta to high pitched for me but ive only heard one of there songs so mabe there others are better

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
stubbyrulz said:
master of puppets was there first album black album was there second ;) and metallica are going down hill buts thats because there running out of stuff to do
Buh? Wasn't Kill Em All Metallica's first album?

Oh and the most overrated band of all time are The Beatles. They are pretty dire, only saved by Hey Jude and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. But most important band of all time? Puh-lease.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
Bodhi said:
Oh and the most overrated band of all time are The Beatles. They are pretty dire, only saved by Hey Jude and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. But most important band of all time? Puh-lease.

Overrated maybe, dire? You have NEVER been more wrong.

They certainly are one of the most important bands in pop history, they changed so much, introduced so much...have you compared 'She Loves You' with anything else around at the time of release? I doubt it. You ever listened to Revolver or Rubber Soul more than once(or at all?) I doubt that too.

Those two albums in particular MADE albums worth buying, before then, albums were a collection of singles.

Between Brian Wilson and The Beatles in the years 63-67 music was transformed completely. Undeniably.

The albums might not sound so amazing these days, because everyones used their ideas, sound effects, ambient noise, their lyrical style , never before had death, self loathing, paranoia, drugs, love(in the PERSONAL sense) been sung about in pop music. Bob Dylan was the only guy who came close for the first few years of their existence.

This is very brief, but their work needs to be examined to be fully appreciated.

Their influence upon music is incalculable.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
You should'nt just take peoples word for it. Right enough. But saying somethin,. just because so many other people say the opposite is Jeremy Clarksons domain, nnd hes a ****...

anyway

http://www.warr.org/beatles.html

check that out, read what they say and get the records, then read what is said again. It's said so often that it means nothing, because people don't even think about it.

I;m not saying their words are gospel, it just helps give a better understanding.

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
stubbyrulz said:

I believe it was...

Kill 'em All
Ride the Lightning
Master of Puppets
...And Justice for All
Metallica
Load
Reload
St. Anger

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
The Beatles :)

Joke :) ermmmm Busted! Take That and all other shite like that

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
Scooba da Bass said:
Ah, that's the point of this thread, just go for it and as long as you don't pick The Mars Volta you won't get flamed (by me).
ok well for a hint, "Love will tear us apart" is the possibly the most monotone, bland, repetitive, dull, dire, droning piece of shit song I've ever heard. Utter dross.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
Jonaldo said:
ok well for a hint, "Love will tear us apart" is the possibly the most monotone, bland, repetitive, dull, dire, droning piece of shit song I've ever heard. Utter dross.

Joy Division are overrated.

But i don't belive its the most dire, droning piece of shit you've ever heard...you like Grunge dont you? Pearl Jam etc?

Anyway, why is it that people will go over the top with the exagerations in order to try and get a point across? By doing so their statement loses all credibility, because it's so obviously untrue.

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
Breni said:
I believe it was...

Kill 'em All
Ride the Lightning
Master of Puppets
...And Justice for All
Metallica
Load
Reload
St. Anger
bah i got no idea but i no master of puppets came before metallica :> i saw it on t.v ;) btw im only 15 so aint been round to long :(

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
maxi said:
Joy Division are overrated.

But i don't belive its the most dire, droning piece of shit you've ever heard...you like Grunge dont you? Pearl Jam etc?

Anyway, why is it that people will go over the top with the exagerations in order to try and get a point across? By doing so their statement loses all credibility, because it's so obviously untrue.
No I really do think that. I've heard much worse songs than that such as the Fast Food song but they're not as dull, just more shit.

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
stubbyrulz said:
bah i got no idea but i no master of puppets came before metallica :> i saw it on t.v ;) btw im only 15 so aint been round to long :(

heh, no excuse ;)

Metallica were definitely one of the Speed metal kings in the days of Kill 'em all. Ride the Lightning is, quite possibly, their best album - it's a toss-up between that and Puppets.

Ever since the Napster thing, though, I've gone right off 'em.

ReActor

Fledgling Freddie
maxi said:

But you do it all the time maxi :)

Back to the discussion... as I'm sat here in a Joy Division t-shirt with my Ian Curtis avatar and I think LWTUA is the best love song ever written, you might imagine I disagree. But actually I think they are overrated.

Their name gets dropped all the bloody time these days when referring to all sorts of bands (e.g. Interpol) who are actually nothing like them... and you get people saying they were excellent musicians and all this tosh. Christ, these people obviously haven't heard 'Still' (the live album). It's shite! Yes they did stuff that was influential but 'influential' doesn't always mean 'amazing' - look at the Beatles.

So, fair enough I say. There are a number of good reasons to like Joy Division but I can perfectly understand if people are totally bewildered as to how they got so revered.

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Breni said:
I believe it was...

Kill 'em All
Ride the Lightning
Master of Puppets
...And Justice for All
Metallica
Load
Reload
St. Anger

Throw in Garage Inc and S&M between Reload and Anger and your set (not counting the live boxes). Pfft MoP there first album... That's heresy! It was however the last album with Cliff Burton (there bassist at the time) before he was killed in a buss accident somewhere in southern Sweden on there way to Stockholm in 86.

Sar

Part of the furniture
shanks said:
Throw in Garage Inc and S&M between Reload and Anger and your set (not counting the live boxes). Pfft MoP there first album... That's heresy! It was however the last album with Cliff Burton (there bassist at the time) before he was killed in a buss accident somewhere in southern Sweden on there way to Stockholm in 86.
S&M was their best album imo.

They should've released a studio version of No Leaf Clover and -Human, cos they fucking rock.

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Sar said:
S&M was their best album imo.

They should've released a studio version of No Leaf Clover and -Human, cos they fucking rock.

I like No Leaf Clover atleast. :eek:

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
ReActor said:
But you do it all the time maxi :)

thats rubbish i never od it. NEVER do i do that, I HAVE NEVER DONE THAT EVER . EVER. Ever. ever. not once!

I don't do it all that often actually, especially more recently...and very rarely to the degree in which it is done on this board.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Metallica suck so many balls. Hetfield has a shit voice, and Ulrich is a resident of Scunthorpe.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Swift^ said:
Metallica suck so many balls. Hetfield has a shit voice, and Ulrich is a resident of Scunthorpe.

Hhhhhmmmmmm.... Spot the one who's trolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom