Monitor squeals!

D

dogdough

Hey all, ive got two problems. First off my monitor sumtimes makes really odd high pitched noises wen displaying a majority of a certain colour, nt sure which 1s. If i put the refresh rate all the way down to 60Hz it normally gets rid of it bt i dont want to do that! I dont kno wat it does but im sure the higher it is the better. Help! Also should i turn modem compression and modem error control on? Cheers v much all

D

dogdough

Bugger sorry so tired forgot to tell u wat monitor it is, its an Iiyama S900MT1 or MTI. Geforce 2 MX 400 as well.

S

S-Gray

How olds the Monitor?

In its manual, does it say that it can support more than 60hz?

D

dogdough

It can indeed, it can support up 10 100Hz its about 2 to 3 years old, its a real beauty nice sharp image 19"

S

Summo

Definitely sounds like a refresh frequency problem. A lot of monitors make this squeeky sound when changing resolutions, but it obviously shouldn't be lasting longer than a couple of seconds.

Monitors are a domestic bombs, mate and DON'T BE TEMPTED TO OPEN IT UP. They hold a deadly latent charge for a long, long time after they've been disconnected from the power.

If I were you I'd pop into your local electrical/TV repair shop and ask their advice. They may be able to do a repair for you.

If your monitor's under warranty then contact the retailer for a replacement or free repair.

S

S-Gray

Originally posted by Summo
Monitors are a domestic bombs, mate and DON'T BE TEMPTED TO OPEN IT UP. They hold a deadly latent charge for a long, long time after they've been disconnected from the power.

Heh. didnt know that..

/me Keeps away from "fidgitting" with back

C

.Cask

My old monitor used to do that.

I'd turn it on and off at the switch a few times and that'd stop it, but it'd probably start doing it later.

I think in the end my ears adjusted so I could no longer hear the high pitched whine. Slap it around a bit, that outta sort it out.

D

dogdough

I wuldnt open it up neway, prolly screw it up as well as myself. I knew televisions were bludy dangerous as their capacitors hold a strong charge for a long time but i thought monitors werent the same, neway if u leave them for about 6 hours without it plugged in all the charge goes away so ur safe to open it up without getting urself shocked. My dad got himself shocked by a tv, forgot completely and opened it up just after it had been plugged in, the bludy thing almost killed him, he couldnt speak afterwards and just lay on the floor for a few hours, the tv works fine now, heh.

E

Embattle

Good chance it's going to die soon, btw generally opening up a monitor tends to make them not work again...even if you only remove the plastic casing ;)

L

lovedaddy

get in touch with iiyama, most monitors come with either a 1 year, or if your lucky, a 3 year swap out replacement. Had a few Sony 22" fellas at work go tits up, they usually managed to get someone out the very next day.

E

Embattle

Iiyama are very good at monitor replacements, they replaced mine 3 times within a few days each time.

S

S-Gray

3 times?? heh.. they sound durable... sounds like my old Plantronics Headset :/

E

Embattle

I had the older 451 VM Pro which seemed to have image problems because of power regulation when using the USB hub, I told them I wanted a different model and they gave me the newer 454 VM Pro which is a slight improvement with no USB hub problems.

F

FunGas

the capacators are oscillating and producing harmonics

a drop of candle wax between them usually does the trick

either that or you got dry joints man - take a soldering iron to it and redo them

Users who are viewing this thread