Modern HDTV setup?

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
So I've not paid much attention to TV/satellite systems over the past few years. The Freeview/Digital TV revolution has gone over my head, all I know is we have a TV with a wireless controller which I rarely use.

I've just had a new central heating system installed and the floorboards are still exposed. Before finishing off, I want to lay down new cabling, perhaps with an RF outlet in every room. Considering Digital and HDTV, which cables should I use? (yes I'm a noob whose been swept away by the hype!).

Current setup:
- TV Aerial is connected to the booster
- Another output from my Sky Digital reciever goes into the booster
- The booster sends cables into other rooms(which carries the channel being viewed on Sky + terrestrial TV)

Proposed setup:
TV Aerial is connected to a Freeview box
Freeview box sends the output into a booster.
Sky Digital sends it's signal into the booster.
The booster sends cables into other rooms(carrying a Digital signal to my other TVs, with current Sky channel, terrestrial TV and Freeview extras)

Is this going to work? I'm confused about the 'Digital TV' aspect, will a digital signal carry over standard co-axial cables, or do I need something new?

Will this digital signal work on my old TVs, or do I upgrade to Digital TV units?

All I want is a future-proof'ish network, so I won't need to rip up my floorboards in a couple of years! ;)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Every TV in the house needs a digital set top box of one type or another (unless its got a digital Freeview tuner built in). If you want to watch Sky on more than one TV you need Sky Multiroom and you pay for the priviledge. They will run extra cable around when they install it, so if you want it, now may the time (usually they try and run the extra cable up an outside wall - messy).

As for Freeview, yes it works off normal ariel leads but you'll still need a STB at the end of the cable. I'm unaware of any Freeview STBs that support multiple TV outs but if anyone knows this they'll be on the Digital Spy forums.

As for High Def, well, obviously you'll need a HD enabled set for everywhere you want to watch HDDTV, and a HD set top box. Which means (at the moment) Sky or Telewest. Sky HD STBs will be ready next year (late spring is the best guess) and will be Sky+ style PVR boxes. There won't be a broadcast only HD STB. The Telewest box is apparently coming out sooner (Jan?), and once again its a PVR as well. There are NO plans for HD on Freeview at the moment, because there isn't enough available bandwidth to broadcast HD signals.

One area where you might want to consider running cabling is from your TV to your PC. Most people are going for wireless routers to connect consoles etc. up but ethernet cables are better imho (more reliable for a start) if you've got the opportunity to hide them away. You could then connect up consoles and other devices such music systems to your PC as part of a home network. Even if you don't want anything like that now, if you've got the opportunity, ethernet cable is cheap.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Put large circular conduits in. That way its very easy to feed cables through, once the boards are back down.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
From what I understand, Escape doesn't want Freeview or Sky in every room to be controlled, but to just be a copy of the signal that comes in at the source.

I'm guesing the booster you are refering to is some kind of booster/splitter that takes inputs (Maybe ariel and Scart) to the rest of the house.

In which case, all you'd need is a new booster that could accept a scart connection from both your sky box and freeview boxes.

Or you could keep your old setup and put freeview STBs in each room you want them in.

DaGaffer

Whipped said:
From what I understand, Escape doesn't want Freeview or Sky in every room to be controlled, but to just be a copy of the signal that comes in at the source.

I'm guesing the booster you are refering to is some kind of booster/splitter that takes inputs (Maybe ariel and Scart) to the rest of the house.

In which case, all you'd need is a new booster that could accept a scart connection from both your sky box and freeview boxes.

Or you could keep your old setup and put freeview STBs in each room you want them in.

I think we're talking at cross-purposes. To cut it short, for Freeview cabling he can just use standard 75 ohm cabling, unless the cable is running a really long way from the the aerial to the STBs when you might notice signal degradation, especially if the cable runs past a lot of electrical fittings (although as he has a booster, maybe not). To be belt and braces, you can use Satellite grade foil and braid screening coax - CT100 or WF100, which will work for Freeview and Sky signals. Having said that the Sky engineers will still try to put their own cable in if you opt for multiroom.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks for the info, Whipped is right in saying I just want a copy of the signal to go around the house(via booster/splitter). It doesn't need to be controlled at every TV.

I understand now that I cannot network a 'digital signal' and didn't need to remove the old co-axial cabling :p

So a Freeview box works like a modem, by converting an analogue signal into digital which it feeds out through scart/composite connections. If I plug that into my booster, the signal running along the co-axial cables will be analogue again :x

Why can't TVs be simple like PCs! :p

As for High Def, well, obviously you'll need a HD enabled set for everywhere you want to watch HDDTV, and a HD set top box. Which means (at the moment) Sky or Telewest. Sky HD STBs will be ready next year (late spring is the best guess) and will be Sky+ style PVR boxes. There won't be a broadcast only HD STB. The Telewest box is apparently coming out sooner (Jan?), and once again its a PVR as well. There are NO plans for HD on Freeview at the moment, because there isn't enough available bandwidth to broadcast HD signals.

Concerning HDTV, it needs to be filmed in HD to be broadcast as such?
Or will the STBs resize everything to higher resolution?

DaGaffer

Escape said:
Concerning HDTV, it needs to be filmed in HD to be broadcast as such?
Or will the STBs resize everything to higher resolution?

Yeah it does. Sky will be broadcasting two versions of Sky One for instance, a HD version and an old skool version. On the HD version we'll get things like Stargate and HBO programming as its broadcast in the US (HD) but you'll still get some normal broadcast stuff mixed in. However, its made more complicated, because Sky will do some enhancement of normal broadcast content to make it look better, and in a lot of cases, your HD TV will do the same.

Its kind of limboland at the moment; HD is only worth it if, a. you like sport, a lot of Sky sports, particularly footie is going to be HD (although unfortunately not the World Cup); b. like movies but don't mind forgoing the DVD and waiting for Sky movies to broadcast it; c. intend to get a next-gen console in the near future.

In about a year, when the BBC have started their High Def broadcasts, PS3 and Xbox 360 are both established and the studios have started selling BluRay or HDDVD movies, then HD will be worth having and the price of sets will start to plummet. Unfortunately, I want a new telly now, so I'll end up paying over the odds.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I've been quite surprised with the cost of HDTVs. I noticed the other day, much to my dismay, that the TV I'd just purchased was only £30 more for a HDTV compatible version.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Just bought a nice 32" samsung LCD HDTV, only 1 HDMI socket but it will do for now, epsecially as it only cost me £930. Got a samsung upscaling DVD player as well (turns DVD's into psuedo HD DVD's), only £130. I'll see how it all looks on tuesday when the TV turns up.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
An update on the cabling.
I bought a 100m roll of this, all of the cabling is underneath the floorboards now! I hate the sight of naked cables :eek:

I used it for Satellite Dish > Reciever, Telewest box > Cable modem and TV aerial > Booster > outlets. They all work fine and this cable's done well for 22p / meter. Maplin were selling it for £1 / meter or £50 / roll!

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
DaGaffer said:
In about a year, when the BBC have started their High Def broadcasts, PS3 and Xbox 360 are both established and the studios have started selling BluRay or HDDVD movies, then HD will be worth having and the price of sets will start to plummet.

Wise words Gaff, couldn't agree more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom