Mercs...

A

Arnor

Originally posted by old.mattshanes
Funny how i beat zerkers in ratmode WITHOUT dirt tricks and pole armsmen,hehe nothing to do with the class at all,the player makes the difference.

Yeah dw styles aren't as good as LA,but the higher your dw the less your target will block or evade,and as for armsmen hit harder,erm not really.They may hit one full whack harder but you will hit 4-6 times within this and mercs get through hib pbt.

So in my mind yeah dw does need more loving but they are not gimps,just a class that needs some sort of looking into a bit more that aren't bad anyway if you play them right.

Like thanes,yeah in rvr they may not be the greatest class for it but they are good tanks in pve,i have seen some good ones tbh,again mainly because of the players.

Beserker will kill anything in a couple of hits IN RATMODE but then we be nuked to peices most likely for being a big obvious target:m00:

I would like the dw styles given a 10-20% more damage over slash though tbh.

amen dude, and that really concludes this thread

E

Eof

Sorry, did I miss something guys? We playing a game where everyone has to spec the same?

YES OMG 30 slash! OMG how gay you dont do as much damage? OMG such high parry why ffs? Quick call the conformity police!

Cos it works for me and I enjoy it ok

I dont hide my spec or apologise for it. When ppl ask me for advice I tell them my spec but that it is unusal and recommend a more normal spec and to talk to other mercs.

Again what can i say but it wokrs for me. I play my class well, I love my character and play him very well. You can all have your opinions but my enjoyment is what counts.

Thanks.

:)

S

sorusi

i think its cool that you enjoy gimping yourself, like me doing my boobs smaller on my zerk etc ;)

E

Eof

Now that is gimping!

/em laugh Sorusi

E

elahim

I agree that DW needs to be looked into, and DT needs to be fixed or totally replaced, coz atm it is close to useless. Zerkers hamster mode and BMs tripple weild owns DT.
Im specced 50dw 50slash and 28parry atm, and sadly enough I rarely hit with both weapons :/ someone told me to get dualist reflexes coz it would help alot, but some say even that doesnt help, I mean WTF?

A

Aussie-

if that respec stone patch arrives eof, you're getting 1 for free :great:

E

Eof

Thanks I will pass it onto my crush shield merc maybe :) I have a respec available. Ifg it aint broke dont fix it :)

O

old.mattshanes

Originally posted by elahim
I agree that DW needs to be looked into, and DT needs to be fixed or totally replaced, coz atm it is close to useless. Zerkers hamster mode and BMs tripple weild owns DT.
Im specced 50dw 50slash and 28parry atm, and sadly enough I rarely hit with both weapons :/ someone told me to get dualist reflexes coz it would help alot, but some say even that doesnt help, I mean WTF?

Well i tried a rr7 4 merc with pain 3+reflexes 3 and he fucking kicked ass,soloed orange con mobs being hit once or twice only,he also had dodger 3 and master of parry 2 being a sara thrust merc to pull off dragonfang.

A

Arnor

Originally posted by Eof
Sorry, did I miss something guys? We playing a game where everyone has to spec the same?

YES OMG 30 slash! OMG how gay you dont do as much damage? OMG such high parry why ffs? Quick call the conformity police!

Cos it works for me and I enjoy it ok

I dont hide my spec or apologise for it. When ppl ask me for advice I tell them my spec but that it is unusal and recommend a more normal spec and to talk to other mercs.

Again what can i say but it wokrs for me. I play my class well, I love my character and play him very well. You can all have your opinions but my enjoyment is what counts.

Thanks.

:)

Thats what really matters, its not how uber you are, but how fun you have while playing :)

M

mid_Efour

Originally posted by old.mattshanes
Well i tried a rr7 4 merc with pain 3+reflexes 3 and he fucking kicked ass,soloed orange con mobs being hit once or twice only,he also had dodger 3 and master of parry 2 being a sara thrust merc to pull off dragonfang.

well im sure if u had any rr7 gimp u would fucking rock

with that many RAs

K

K0nah

eof: i tried a spec with 39 slash on patch server and i hated it, your varience must be appalling...

still long as u got grym mezzing for u you'll do just fine ;)

M

Mcdonald

Thats what really matters, its not how uber you are, but how fun you have while playing

I think this sums up the whole idea of daoc. Well said! :great:

O

old.Mitsu

At least you have more than 1800 hp when buffed to the teeth. :eek:
Cheap RA's aswell. /whine.

E

elbeek

Sorry to disagree mac but mercs are a great class to play. Admittedly DT bl0ws , due to the stoopid timer and resistances, and needs addressing as do the high level DW styles but, get Dragon Fang off, hit 4 times during stun and its game over.

From a team perspective, we hit through pbt better than any other class, we hit fast and hard, yes not as hard as zerkers but who does? DT, when it sticks, is also a decent addition, not forgetting Flurry. Match your weapon speeds and u should hit with both on a pleasingly frequent basis.

Work on getting yer resistances to a decent level, add some decent RA's and you are a vital part of any decent group. Pick your targets in RvR, as Eof quite rightly says, and enjoy the end result.

B

Belomar

I was always under the impression that while zerkers are indeed the kings of the light tanks, blademasters and mercenaries were on a par and about of the same strength. Then I did a bit of reading... OMG blademasters have Evade 3, whereas mercs only have Evade 1! What the heck is up with that? Does every Hib class have to be more uber than the Alb equivalent? :(

On a related note, I think it is quite telling that the only Hibernian class that most (not all, mind you) Hibs would agree is gimped is blademasters (well, nightshades too), while mercenaries are not at all regarded as gimped in Albion -- and they're basically of the same strength! (Well, we concluded that BMs even have the Evade 3 advantage.) Thus, the frame of reference for what is gimped and not is quite different in Albion and Hibernia.

O

old.Filip

merc's got chain BM's only studded ...
i dunno whats the best .. i guess it all depends..

Does the BM get the 360' evade ??? i know the zerger does

my guess would be that merc can stand to be hit in the back more than a bm ... but the BM got it a bit easyer to get evade style's off...

Filip
Minser of HB

B

Belomar

Oh, I see. Well, then I can understand why BMs have Evade 3. And yes, all light tanks get advanced evade.

D

dakeyras

Mercs are a great class and in no way gimped.

The only real complaint, apart from DT which sucks, is that our advanced spec is worse than our baseline. Some tweaks to DW would complete the class.

The main problem as many see it is the obvious inferiority to zerkers. This has happened because of an ill thought out end buff. Prior to end buff mercs and zerkers were, imo, balanced. Zerkers hit harder styled but ran out of end quickly, whereas mercs with their higher base damage would beat a zerker overtime. With both OOE the merc has a significant advantage.

Now, zerkers don't go OOE. This totally screws class balance as a zerker can perma-spam styles, even if the shammy dies, negating his downside. This will, as any reasonably intelligent person will see, result in a hefty swing of the nerf bat.

Either LA gets adjusted or end buff becomes 1500 range chant and the shammy needs to be alive and within range. It will happen...just ask smite clerics what happens when enough people whine.

O

osrim

Very true

Originally posted by Arnor
Thats what really matters, its not how uber you are, but how fun you have while playing

Yep.

Gonna turn Skarab to high smite based with all nice RA's supporting that... When I happen to get full respec stone or mythic gives some respect in form of respec to us cause of all those changes. Lots of ppl already saying omg for that cleric spec, so focking what I play for fun.

F

Flimgoblin

Mercs are fun...

but the sad fact is there's no point using DW styles over the base slash or thrust ones. (except for the level 50 style... it's like Amethyst slash, except it's positional, has a bleed and a medium defence penalty... and uses _slightly_ less endurance)

e.g. above one merc was extolling dragonfang - a thrust style.

Zerkers hit harder styled but ran out of end quickly, whereas mercs with their higher base damage would beat a zerker overtime. With both OOE the merc has a significant advantage.

not true :) merc/zerk will do the same damage unstyled.

Just the zerker won't be hitting for 4.2 speed style damage at 3.5 speed (so will seem to lose a lot more)

give the DW styles a 30% increase in damage, and mercs are fixed (with only a little tweak to dirty tricks to make it more than a party trick/duel-winner).

Mercs and zerks used to be almost even on Excal - when albion had +20% melee bonus and zerkers ran out of endurance...

Don't get me wrong :) I like my mercenary, he can help in a fight. Prevent Flight is nice with dual wielding...
But there's nothing that makes you go 'wow!' at a mercenary.

(and I'm getting tired of people comparing the zerker to some other class in albion then the shield mercenary to the warrior... who we're a pale second to, in exchange for a gimpy 2m timer DD and a dirty joke. Shield mercenary is not the way it's intended to be ... they're interesting and more power to people that play them, but a dual wielding merc should do _damage_ :) )

Ho hum, roll on the style lines being redone.

A

Amadon

Originally posted by Belomar
I was always under the impression that while zerkers are indeed the kings of the light tanks, blademasters and mercenaries were on a par and about of the same strength. Then I did a bit of reading... OMG blademasters have Evade 3, whereas mercs only have Evade 1! What the heck is up with that? Does every Hib class have to be more uber than the Alb equivalent? :(

On a related note, I think it is quite telling that the only Hibernian class that most (not all, mind you) Hibs would agree is gimped is blademasters (well, nightshades too), while mercenaries are not at all regarded as gimped in Albion -- and they're basically of the same strength! (Well, we concluded that BMs even have the Evade 3 advantage.) Thus, the frame of reference for what is gimped and not is quite different in Albion and Hibernia.
I don't think most people in Hib let alone everyone in Hib thinks blademasters are gimped. They're brilliant PvE and very good offensive tanks. Celtic Dual needs improvement, much like Dual Wield, but the fact that it sucks at the moment doesn't mean the whole class sucks.
There are many more Hib classes that are way more gimped than blademasters in their class defining specline.

J

jox

Konah is my favoritemerch, he use to cut of my head.

Many times merchs feels harder than armsmen.

M

Mcdonald

Many times merchs feels harder than armsmen.

Then try not to use hammers... most seasoned mercs have 29% Crush resist+ xtra resist because of chain armor :rolleyes:

--------------------------

I think that we all :cheers: agree though about mercs being in need of some extra attention from the devs. Imo what needs to be changed besides the things you mentioned before is the whole mechanics behind dw/cd so that it wont be a chance-to-doubleswing kind of ability. :flame:

Yet all this does not answer the question "What are Mercs (and all light tanks and/or non-shield wielding tanks in general;)) supposed to do during keep defenses besides standing in the yard and waiting to get ganked :eek7: by the enemies after they knock down the gates". (that may not be the case at all the times if you have pbaoe power :p)

The last time I decided to use my short bow in siege battle (since it is the only thing mercs can use in keep D anyway) almost no arrow actually hit something :p And the arrows that did hit for like 60-70ish dmg. I think that same holds for arms crossbows as well.

On a last note i really want to thank ppl posting their comments :)

:flame::flame::flame:

A

AbPoon

Tanks bash doors kill guards and pets during takes, they kill pets and stealthers while defending, keep takes can be fun as a tank aswell as a caster ^^

S

StormriderX

I would be happy if they gave me some useful styles in CD so I have something to use besides my blade styles...

G

gaenvan

Well my merc has the same spec as eof and to be honest its served me well while lvling and really enjoyd it and i won a few duels with my spec but to be honest when i can get a repec stone i will be respecing. Just what i fancy really though.

Gaen

O

old.Mitsu

Actually berserker unstyled damage is lower than other tank classes. Because they dualwield every round.

Users who are viewing this thread