Mercs...

M

Mcdonald

/whine on

Have you ever played or considered playing a merc? Think twice! You'll see how gimped a melee class can be. :wall: With DW maxed and dualist reflexes 2 you still dont double-swing often... your base damage is same as all alb tanks... your :eek7:"specialized" DW styles are total crap... and you have an uber ability called "incresed fumbles" that is on a 30min timer and gets resisted 9 out of 10 times. And on top of that you have the mere fact that mercs have no utility in RvR at all; they are supposed to be the "damage dealers" but they arent (polearm armsmen are much better at that), they cant slam because they are :eek6: dual wielders, and they get a sucky evade 1 which is close to having no evade at all. In addition to that you get a short bow that you cannot spec in and deals crappy damage.

/whine off :p

Besides that, i think that many will agree with me. I really want to know what impressions do other realms have about mercs when they are facing them in RvR. :flame:

O

old.Atrox

mercs ? arent those NPC's who scam us to buy crappy quality items for overprice ?

I would rather have an Arseman in the group tbh :rolleyes:

M

Mcdonald

Indeed... if i could transform the merc to an arms i would have done it already :p

A

Archeon

Each realm has its own Hybrid/Light tank that seems gimped in comparision to the others

Midgard: Thane
Albion: Merc
Hib: Blademasters, or dancers... whatever you know, the ones that are always whining about being unable to one shot legion.

Genrally speaking play this class, it has some advantages

1. Makes RvR easier for me, you do less dmg = i have to heal less = i don't run out of mana so quickly = when hibs come along we can hold out against PBAE for 0.25 seconds longer (at which point hibs scream for a nerf to healers :rolleyes: )

2. If your seriously gimped then chances are sooner or later you'l get some really uber lovin.

Keep the faith, you'l get your love one day

M

Mcdonald

Well... this sounds very reassuring :p But my point here is that every class in this game is supposed to fullfil a specific role in RvR, and the merc (and maybe the bm as well) falls short in it. There is nothing that makes a merc unique or useful in RvR in any way (besides bashing hib tanks that is :p). A Paladin has his chants that help groups and probably a shield to slam, an arms has a slaming shield and an uber damaging polearm, a berserker can kill anything he wants in a couple of hits etc... And of course that's what can make them useful in keep defense/offense. Well, you may say, that all tanks feel useless when it comes to keeps but even so.... there is a line between total uselessness and slight usefullness.

O

old.mattshanes

Funny how i beat zerkers in ratmode WITHOUT dirt tricks and pole armsmen,hehe nothing to do with the class at all,the player makes the difference.

Yeah dw styles aren't as good as LA,but the higher your dw the less your target will block or evade,and as for armsmen hit harder,erm not really.They may hit one full whack harder but you will hit 4-6 times within this and mercs get through hib pbt.

So in my mind yeah dw does need more loving but they are not gimps,just a class that needs some sort of looking into a bit more that aren't bad anyway if you play them right.

Like thanes,yeah in rvr they may not be the greatest class for it but they are good tanks in pve,i have seen some good ones tbh,again mainly because of the players.

Beserker will kill anything in a couple of hits IN RATMODE but then we be nuked to peices most likely for being a big obvious target:m00:

I would like the dw styles given a 10-20% more damage over slash though tbh.

M

Mcdonald

Ok then, go duel a polearm-arms and tell me the result afterwards :p We are uber for PvE yea, but RvR is what counts after 50...

The only changes that I would suggest is a boost to DW skills and to lower the timer of dirty tricks (or replace it with another ability)

O

old.mattshanes

I have beaten many pole armsmen,though some have beaten me,nope i wouldn't say we are the best melee class out there but yes dirt tricks needs the timer reduced and should never be resisted.Also as i said dw styles should do 10-20 % more damage over slash.

But if you want to become fairly good in damage you need rr6 to make full use of it i.e i am respeccing to pain 4+reflexes 2 hopefully this would make me crit nearly every hit.

T

Thg Gork

I wounder why people say thanes are gimp we do moore dmg than wariors skalds and zerkers too with only self buffs accounted for i win every duel i do (wery few that have beaten me and i have beaten all of them ) I solo red and purp with out buffs accept my own. Wery seldom do a purp mob win over me. Most of the time i can solo 2 yellow tanks (alb ) at the same time and still have life left to kill some more. So why are thanes gimp in 1.59 we get repeatable lightning single target wich i think have been a big problem for us thats why some thanes use there area hammer when they shouldent cant blame them because it looks so cool :) And i try to use it as often as i get oppertunity to but sadly cant say that it happens often. I know there isent many classes or players that can solo purp mobs so i dount get how could thanes be gimps. The only problem with thanes i can think of is the low health bar wich makes us wery vunerable against casters who can kill us fast but we get avoidence of magic to. If we would get ip at same cost as zerks warriors we would be with out doubt the best tank klass in midgard. Shure i am equipped with the best itemz possible but wery many have sc armour now days so the small diffrence between them and me in stats are moore in cold heat resistens or one of those stats. That only way in when casters are involved. So please tell me why are thanes gimp in next patch we get some moore con to wich will raise our hp a little.

Please dount say anything lame about bragging im just stating the facts what i can do so people can understand that beeing a thane is not = gimp.

T

Trinilim

Mercs aren't gimped.

Imo they're one of the best rvr tanks.

They can pop pbt like no other class.

They hit you like a needle, but they hit you many many times.

Leveling one might be a bit harsh, I dunno, haven't leveled one myself, but I've grouped with many in rvr, they all seem to perform flawlessly.

-edit-:

And mercs aren't supposed to be the equal of zerkers.

If anything, Friars are. We both wear light armor, we both get an insta (zerk and haste), and we both dish out loads of damge.

O

old.Sko

Originally posted by Mcdonald
Ok then, go duel a polearm-arms and tell me the result afterwards :p We are uber for PvE yea, but RvR is what counts after 50...

The only changes that I would suggest is a boost to DW skills and to lower the timer of dirty tricks (or replace it with another ability)
my gimped infi wins most duels with poles. Thus i assume merc will just tear em apart :)
btw. merc is hardest class to duel for infi.

E

Eof

Quite simply Mercs rock. We aren't meant to be played the same as other tanks. Hit fast and get behind your enemy, leave the defensive stuff to others in the group. It's not down to the abilities at the end of the day cos all classes have abilities on timers taht I am sure they would like to be faster. We have our flaws sure but at the end of the day if you enjoy your character, know what it can do and play it well then you are as effective as anyone else in a group. I have many alts, I have tried all tank classes and at the end of the day for me no-one comes close to Eoforwic for fun and playability.

What can I do in group? Listen, follow, not break mezz. I have DT and PF for some help on my way to a fight. I can get through BT. I am fast and people don't usually target me first cos they are going for the bucketheads which gives me a chance to get through. And I always try to flank the enemy rather than just charging through.

Just dont expect to be healed and learn to watch our for yourself cos everyone else inthe group is just as important as you are if not more so.

Finally, Mercs don't whine ;) We're better thanm sorcs that way.

O

old.mattshanes

Eoforwic you have prevent flight?if so was it worth the points?

Btw i tried a rr7 4 merc tonight who had pain 3 and reflexes 3 saracen thrust merc and i have never seen such fast damage,i need pain 3 and reflexes 3 on mine now i think :p

S

sorusi

Feel you pain :( im waiting for my love for my troll zerker... they really need help :( (being all underpowred etd) but i guess mythic are working on it ;)

P

Puppetmistress

Thane:

lvl 45 Stormcalling: Command Mjollnir AKA Hammers of LAG.

Best ability a class can get. Make your opponents lag as hell and totally unable to do anything.

Thanes are overpowered IMHO.

R

ravenslore

Yes soruzi i noticed u needed improvements when u couldnt beat an old and slow bm :) Back to point tho Bm have exact same argument in hib 50% bm say we sook and 50% say we uber.Its all about fitting into the battle sure hero can slam but we pop pbt and kill mages faster so it evens out.Hero cus of better abs and armour fares better at start of fight but near end when its 1 on 1 or 2 on 1 then the evade/parry etc kick in and bm/merc shine
Just my opinion anyway :)

O

old.krane

Originally posted by sorusi
Feel you pain :( im waiting for my love for my troll zerker... they really need help :( (being all underpowred etd) but i guess mythic are working on it ;)

U gotta be joking???

U want A FIX with doing 1400 dmg??? with maxed slash resists??

basically max 3 shotting a caster???

what else u want?? plate and stealth????

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

seeeeeeshhhhhh...........

K

K0nah

err yes he was joking Krane... :rolleyes:

I'm enjoy playing my merc, wouldnt be 7L5 if i didnt. Was happier when i had 20% melee bonus tho i must admit ;)

If you arent enjoying playing yours then either:

a) you arent playing it right
b) your spec sux
c) you never get a decent group

tbh if it wasnt for FC i woulda quit a looooong time ago.

random zerg/pickup grps r just far too frustrating.

mercs and bm's need a dmg boost if zerkers are "working as intended", dw styles need revised and dirty tricks needs fixing. fairly minor tweaks imo.

armsmen have beaten me in duels, ive also beaten armsmen. i doubt ANY armsman would beat me if i purged the stun and used dirty tricks. have never used either in a realm duel as yet.

know your job, do it.

E

Eof

My spec is 50 DW 49 parry 30 slash.

RAs: FA2, IP, purge, Aug Dex 2, DR 2or 3 (sorry cant remember), some MoParry, some MoPain, Aug Con ?, Toughness, Prevent Flight. Forogt Det 3 and AoM 3(?)

Haven't really looked at them lately and kinda ran outta things I really wanted to spend the points on so sorry I can't be more specific.

I personally love Prevent Flight. Sometimes it has helped my grps by slowing the guys after my group mates but mostly I love it when people try to run from me. It seems to kick in quite a ot and I think it was well worth it.

There are some people I always group with, some I grouped with fairly regularly and others I just made random groups with. On the whole a merc, like any other class, adds to a group if it is a group that communicates looks out for each other and is willing to listen and follow one leader.

J

Jiggs

Originally posted by Eof
if it is a group that communicates looks out for each other and is willing to listen and follow one leader.

:spin:

S

sorusi

30 slash?!... euhm... you mmight aswell equip yourself with plastic toys to hit with then imo ;(

E

Eof

Haven't had a problem so far but thanks for the advice.

My main reason for playing this game is fun. I enjoy Eof the way he is. I made rr7 the way he is; I have enjoyed the raids I have been on; I have fun with the people I talk to and my guild who are in my opinion amongst the nicest people in the realm, and all of this with my gimped plastic toy DUAL-wielding merc ;)

I love mercs which is why I have 2 I guess. No other character in Albion or other realm that I have played has given me as much lasting fun.( Atm I have 14 alts across the 3 realms on different servers.) His spec may not be popular and it might not work for anyone else but it does it for me and the people I group with don't often tell me i suck - 'cept Grymulv but he says that to everyone!

I think mercs have a role in RvR as I am sure most other people who actively play their mercs do. Like I said before it may not please everyone but it works for me.

Sorry to rant but I LOVE MY MERC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom