Mercenary speccing and race

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by K0nah

a halfway decent anytime added to dw or thrust lines

you don't need anytimes ;)

never used them when I was slash either...

(incidentally I only respecced because I got two merc thrusters from our guild Sidi raids and didn't want them to go to waste - now I'm fotm, bah I say. Maybe I'll go crush)

on the shield thing - it's nice to have the flexibility of the shield - not sure I'd cripple my parry so much though (then again I do like to duel)
50 dw 42 thrust 32 parry 23 shield (nice rear 6s stun)

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by old.LandShark
Actually it seems that in 1.64, raising dex doesn't increase thrust 2Handers' weaponskill anymore, but str doesn't as much as it should either. Bug presumably ;

displayed weaponskill for any 2h weapon is based on 2h spec - same for polearm..

However the damage you actually get behaves remarkably similar to if your weaponskill was based on your base spec - in the case of thrust this would imply str/dex 50/50...

Worth testing :) does your damage %age go up if you improve your dex using a thrust 2her - just duel someone and smack them a few hundred times, get a dex buff, repeat ;)

Incidentally I'd say the choice between slash/thrust isn't that clear cut - thrust has the advantage with armour types - usual targets are weak or neutral, slash has the better styles and is good against hib. If all you kill are midgard healers - thrust is probably a better bet, but you'll need to practice your positionals. If you kill a range of targets, slash will be easier ;)

Both are pretty viable. Crush on the other hand is the red-headed step-child :( methinks I need to find some glowy crushers ;)

Roll on the style review eh? :)

C

cleeve

Tis a shame this thread with so much good information in - is also full of abuse.

I think crush mercs would be a nice change to slash - same req (str) so you get high w/s, with the added bonus of autotraining slash points so if you ever respec out of crush you can get the benefit of more spec points.

We got any high rr crush mercs?

C

S

Silenzio

mmm but.. the starting point... wasn't the race?

ehhe still the bigest issue to me... ;P

higlander got more hp less qui so get near to syled cap
but less Ws (if thrust) n this cout alot also...

every second getting more tempted by Briton for a life ov easy switching...

C

cleeve

personally I would go highlander crush for a merc

but thats just me and I like male toons wearing skirts :)

C

V

Vasconcelos

Originally posted by Silenzio
mmm but.. the starting point... wasn't the race?

ehhe still the bigest issue to me... ;P

higlander got more hp less qui so get near to syled cap
but less Ws (if thrust) n this cout alot also...

every second getting more tempted by Briton for a life ov easy switching...

About thrust:

Saracen thruster got a bit more of ws than highlanders, maybe 30 or so. Saracen will be closer to the speed swing cap, and have slight better parry (don't count evade coz evade1 is crap neways).
When i compared my ws with a briton thruster, i found that his was only 10 higher than me, both with SC suit (despite i need another Infernal Ring to raise the last 6 stre/cons points).

A highlander crusher will have the highest ws due to crush specc being 100% based on stre.

B

blademistress

Always have been slash always will be, have worked wonderful for me.

And, i just wanted to say: All you mercs who has NOT respeced to thrust.. Way to go!

Briton slash merc signing out.

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by blademistress
And, i just wanted to say: All you mercs who has NOT respeced to thrust.. Way to go!

I only did it for the weapons :(

previous to this patch I was being told thrust was gimp

S

Silenzio

Originally posted by Belomar

Highlander: 125 str, 83 dex => 104 avg.
Briton: 115 str, 93 dex => 104 avg.
Saracen: 105 str, 113 dex => 109 avg.

well reflecting again...

looking at the first post... at 50

difference between briton n higlander is only 10 point from Str to Dex n since thrust is 50%dex 50%str it make no difference...
(dex is still under 100)

saracen go over 100 dex thrust so they should get a little edge in thrust but bad difference with slash n crush...

than now i think... id go for higlander... higer HP same thrustWS as briton... Higest WS ov the 3 race with Crush and slash

isnt it right?

P

Pin

Originally posted by Flimgoblin
I only did it for the weapons :(

previous to this patch I was being told thrust was gimp

such lies. you respecced purely because last patch you were told it was gimp :p

J

Jiggs

Originally posted by Kahland
Fader told me about a movie he saw from Excal FC or BF where the high rr MA merc didnt use stick and missed 90% of his attacks, hahahahahhahah.

its first cohort..

no BF movies are in the public domain: the sight of gunnerr and chuffy in action is known to reduce grown men to nervous wrecks :D

P

Pin

Originally posted by Jiggs
no BF movies are in the public domain: the sight of gunnerr and chuffy in action is known to reduce grown men to nervous wrecks :D

BF movies are available for a small charge from certain web sites: the sight of gunnerr and chuffy in action is known to reduce gay men to drooling cabbages :D

V

Voedockx

I've only wrote the first 3 pages, cba to write on. Funny how we all manege a thrustvsslash post into pure flames. There is a post like this on vn boards too, isn't that enough? Must be like 10 pages long bfvsfc now, nuff said.

Back to topic, I've played my merc for over a year now, and I believe it is a decent classe whish is good Slash and Thrust. Just got to pick one and stick with it. Imo a good dmg grps needs a thrustmerc, a slashmerc and a 2hed arms(pref crush), I've played all setups now and this looks likes the best setup to me. Yes Thrust does good dmg on midchainwearers and Yes slash has a good anytime. I know alot of u are thinking amyspam is for noobs, but imo slash makes the best MA's, they can concentrate the most on picking the best targets and spamming amy, good targets win fights and let the thruster worry about getting his poss styles off. Conclusion belomar, as a guildmaster with alot of experience u'd make a good MA and therefore should try slash.

Don't come and ask whish is best, just pick one, cape all ur stats and get to know ur spec/classe. Both speccs are good, but the spec doesn't make the classe, the player playing his classe does.

ps. still not over the fact mercs became fotm, accept the good bleed on ds and the dirt whish is great for duels but kinda useless in rvr, the class hasn't changed much.

D

denser

Originally posted by Flimgoblin
Both are pretty viable. Crush on the other hand is the red-headed step-child :( methinks I need to find some glowy crushers ;)

Roll on the style review eh? :)

Bear in mind that because Crush dosen't autotrain, you will be losing a load of points.

B

belth

28 parry vs. 31 parry with autotrain to 44 - autoing to 48 just gives you a few more points which you can invest in shield and still not get Engage.

P

Pin

Originally posted by denser
Bear in mind that because Crush dosen't autotrain, you will be losing a load of points.

Shhhh... don't tell him that, it's just another reason for him to do it!

(anyway, losing 77 points just means dropping a couple of points of parry, no biggie)

Originally posted by belth
28 parry vs. 31 parry with autotrain to 44 - autoing to 48 just gives you a few more points which you can invest in shield and still not get Engage.

Nah, it's dropping from 28, to 26 when you respec from a non-auto'd slash/thrust into crush.

I

iluvatur

imo ..

slash=thrust pros and cons just about weigh each other out

crush isnt v good damage type, but has the best weps ( ie faster offhand hammer with a slower main hand, like all zerks do) thus giving bigger hits before resists quicker.

now GROUP HUG!! everyone be happy...

S

sorusi

lol another thrust/slash merc thread turned into flamewar hahahahahaha

go slash ;) you really need the bonus against champs in scale so you can beat them in duels really hard.....

K

K0nah

Originally posted by sorusi
go slash ;) you really need the bonus against champs in scale so you can beat them in duels really hard.....

if only it was that simple.

weapon choice.

styles.

weaponskill.

my weaponskill is 2020+ fully buffed.

B

belth

Originally posted by Pin
Nah, it's dropping from 28, to 26 when you respec from a non-auto'd slash/thrust into crush.

Oh that way :mad:

S

sorusi

also thrust takes less damage from str/con debuffs etc..

yeah thrust do not have slow weapons :p but hitting midd chain is really a joke with slash styles would not make up for those great resist losses, and 100 weaponskill wont either

D

denser

Originally posted by sorusi
also thrust takes less damage from str/con debuffs etc..

yeah thrust do not have slow weapons :p but hitting midd chain is really a joke with slash styles would not make up for those great resist losses, and 100 weaponskill wont either

True. But with the new weapons and the style review, thrust might even get a half-decent style.(Excluding Dragonfang- useless to mercs w/o dodger anyways).

S

schinkaar

U could actually slam the healer and land positionals konah, and if u dont hit a chanter standing on a druid i think you die no matter what specc you are. Then again the tank arguement i dont understand really, you wanna go thru 50 evade 50 melee resist, thats your choice i guess. As it seems to me albs have it hardest vs mid grps (with the core ialkarn mentioned) and ofc savages, perhaps it whould be a better idea to use everything in your power against them (they do against you) and try to win?
None of the mid rvr guilds that make guild groups on a daily basis will leave without 3 healers and 1 shammie.

F

Flimgoblin

costs 77 points to go from slash/thrust to crush (anti-autotraining?)

would be 40 crush (instead of 42 thrust)
or 29 parry (instead of 32)

or 39 crush/33 parry :)

J

Jiggs

well u got like 20 full skill stones so what r u waiting for ;)

on the savages thing, i'd just point out that in a normal mid group its 5 out of 8 enemies who you get the bonus on...

i think having damage bonus on 62.5% of your enemy is worth it tbh.

i would say the arguements relating to weaponskill and better anytimes (heh well just 'anytimes' :) ) are more concrete reasons to spec slash than having a bonus against a class which can buff its melee resistance anyway..

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Jiggs
well u got like 20 full skill stones so what r u waiting for ;)

not quite that many ;) some are RA :)

need glowy hammers first.

J

Jiggs

we got one from our alliance sidi raid, WHAT ARE U WAITING FOR :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom