Mercenary speccing and race

B

Belomar

Well, since my Cabalist is now going to be best off defending and sieging keeps in the future, I, too, have decided to roll a FotM mercenary. I currently have a Highlander one at level 24 or so, but now I started thinking about whether slash is the best choice and which starting race to choose.

It has been pretty much established that thrust mercenaries are the new FotM, and the reason to choose thrust is that the prevalent Mid support classes are vulnerable to thrust. I looked around a bit, and found that the governing attributes for 1h thrust is 50% strength and 50% dexterity (as opposed to 75% strength and 25% dexterity for 2H thrust -- a figure which seems unconfirmed -- and 100% strength for both 1H and 2H slash and crush). Now, this puts me in a bit of a quandary, since it seems to me that a level 50 Highlander or even Briton would be worse off than a level 50 Saracen for a thrust merc (speaking purely of weaponskill). Given 10 points into str/dex/con at creation, we get the following at level 50:

Highlander: 125 str, 83 dex => 104 avg.
Briton: 115 str, 93 dex => 104 avg.
Saracen: 105 str, 113 dex => 109 avg.

Granted, the difference is not huge, and Highlanders and Britons have more con and thus more constitution, but there is a difference. It does show, however, that a Briton and a Highlander thrust merc should have the same weaponskill.

Anyway, any experts to give their opinion on this? What is the way to go in this matter? :)

V

Vasconcelos

Can't believe you come BW to ask this, no doubt you must be very very bored at work :lol:

Ask it in /gu

Gimp0rz

;)

B

Bellona

Im sure Pin is writting a good reply explaining all the game mechanics

B

Belomar

Hey, Ohcan, I'm at work. :D Now giv advice dammit. ;)

P

Pin

The difference in weaponskill between Saracen and Highlander/Briton buffed at level 50 will be about 20ws. For this you lose ~100/50 hp.

O

old.Ramas

My philosophy for *all* classes is simple - go Briton.

Why?

Because over the life of your character Mythic's screwing around with the game mechanics will make a bigger difference than +/- 10 on any stat.

With a Briton you have the least danger of being suddenly gimped when the importance of each stat next changes.

Similarly with weapon choice, most important factor deciding which is best will be whether slash/thrust/crush vulnerable classes are fotm at the time. This will change over the lifetime of your character, so I'm not sure it's worth trying to second guess Mythic. Just decide which you think looks best. Even choice by style set is now dubious - with Mythic promising a style and RA review in 1.65.

This may all sound cynical, but at the end of the day, it is the devs *intention* that all these choices are balanced.

As for spec, my understanding is that all mercs go 50weapon, 50DW, rest in parry.

S

Silenzio

good thing with briton due to his stat is ...
u can respec to wich ever u like with less malus(maybe bonus too)
than other...

ie starting crush than repec to slash n tahn to thrust ecc

but ,,,

damn non kilt wearer r so ugly in chain... sigh

S

swords

I would like to point out at this early stage that i have been a merc for a very long time and this is the first character i ever rolled :)

O

old.LandShark

Go highlander. As Pin said the weapskill difference will be pretty tiny, and the hp difference tangible and, well... I hesitate to say significant, but more significant than the lost weapskill, at any rate.
if you want to look dead sexah, go briton instead. I think highlander's definitely best but, god, ugly kilt-bound mullet gimps!

Oh, and for the love of all things holy; be thrust spec.

Also- may I invite you to consider a spec of 35shield, 44thrust, 50DW? 35shield gives an 8sec stun, side positional, and pretty damn good guard. Less than a pally's perhaps, but your higher dex might help there. Dunno. Just a thought. (leaves you with about 17 parry IIRC)

V

Vasconcelos

Originally posted by Pin
The difference in weaponskill between Saracen and Highlander/Briton buffed at level 50 will be about 20ws. For this you lose ~100/50 hp.

Yup, some days ago i compared stats with Kurik's merc. He is briton and he has about 20 more ws than me while i have about 45 more hps. Both thrust n with SC gear (well i need 1 DF ring n belt to complete my template but don't think it would change the numbers far from 10-15)

So, both briton n highlander look pretty equal. Maybe highlander got the little edge of taking full advantage from new 1.62 buffs due to the high cons/stre in terms of hps/ws....

Think saracens are below both briton/scottish. Sure they would have better evade n parry, but the hps are significantly down while the ws is almost the same. And evade/parry are not really needed if you are the main damage dealer of your fg. Unless you wanna solo with Dodger3+DFang..... :lol::lol::lol:

B

Belomar

All right, thanks for the replies. :) Then I will happily continue with my Highlander mercenary and probably make him thrust -- IMO it looks uber fightinh with a long dirk and a guarded rapier. (isn't that what thrust mercs normally use?) ;)

B

Belomar

Originally posted by old.LandShark
Also- may I invite you to consider a spec of 35shield, 44thrust, 50DW? 35shield gives an 8sec stun, side positional, and pretty damn good guard. Less than a pally's perhaps, but your higher dex might help there. Dunno. Just a thought. (leaves you with about 17 parry IIRC)
Well, I am not up to ninja-swapping a shield from my inventory to my left-hand whenever I want to first stun someone and then switch to DW to pwn. Switching between weapon and shield would also put me out of combat mode, AFAIK, which would mean even more lost time. Prevent Flight will have to do for me. :)

S

swords

mercs arent meant to be shield users imo...let the armsmen and paladins go defense, were mean't to stick boot in!!!!!!

R

Rollie_David

brit merc
+ 10 con/str/dex
50 DW, 50Thrust, rest parry

your an offensive tank so no point losing varience on wep skill just for a side shield stun, full wep skill all the way, thats what mercs are for.

belo you suck :D

S

Silenzio

Originally posted by swords
mercs arent meant to be shield users imo...let the armsmen and paladins go defense, were mean't to stick boot in!!!!!!

Only Paladin pls!!!

O

old.Ramas

ugly kilt-bound mullet gimps!

I think Belomar sees the mullet as pro, rather than a con.

B

Belomar

All the above is true. :m00: Though I will need chain crown and an unhooded cloak to show off my ubah do (red-headed, of course :D),

O

old.m0000

why thrust? :/

apart from the dmg type on chain, is there any other reason?

O

old.LandShark

Funny how people say "I'm not having shield spec, leave defence to the paladins!" and then say "I don't need slam, I'll always have a paladin to slam for me"...
If you think I suggest 35 shield as a defensive measure, then you couldn't be more wrong.
On the other hand 42shield, prevent flight and 1.62 dirty tricks might very well be an awesome defensive combination. =p
Originally posted by old.m0000
why thrust? :/

apart from the dmg type on chain, is there any other reason?

Uh... no, what more reason do you want?
Neutral to all hib armour, bonus on all the important mid armours.
Less weapskill lost to disease (no loss) and str/con debuffs... (50% the loss a slash/crush merc would suffer)

P

Pin

Less weapskill lost to disease (no loss) and str/con debuffs... (50% the loss a slash/crush merc would suffer)

It's not no loss to disease.

It was no loss in the last patch due to (str+dex)/2 still being over 300 when buffed and diseased, but that does not matter now.

Oh, and you have lower weaponskill than Slash/Crush all the times you are not diseased/debuffed in this patch ;)

B

Belomar

Originally posted by Pin
Oh, and you have lower weaponskill than Slash/Crush all the times you are not diseased/debuffed in this patch ;)
Don't say that, I was 100% convinced I'd go thrust. :eek: Ahh, I'll do it anyway, it wasn't much of a difference. ;)

Oh, and Landshark, you are willing to do the weapon/shield ninjaswap with that kind of merc spec? Looks mighty hard to me. :p

S

swords

You know if they were to make the interface more suited to the whole ninja swapping thing the shield spec may become more popular.
as for the new DT mine hasn't been resisted yet :) im pleasantly surprised.

P

Pin

Originally posted by Belomar
Don't say that, I was 100% convinced I'd go thrust. :eek: Ahh, I'll do it anyway, it wasn't much of a difference. ;)

The difference between Highlander Slash/Crush and Highlander/Briton Thrust is something like 80-90ws when buffed.

After a debuff it swings the other way.

I'd go Highlander Thrust anyway.

A

alithiel50

<sigh>

So many FotM's who have seen how uber I am and are trying to get in on the act... :rolleyes:

:p

:uhoh:

And if any of you Highlanders out there are feeling a little self-concious about your hair after Landshark's cruel and unfeeling comment, I recommend using Herbal Essence after a strenuous evening of RvR... it's how I keep my flowing red locks so shiny and bouncy! ;)

O

old.mattshanes

Tried all 3 melee types and i am highlander,crush has too many chains though it hits decent,thrust hits average/good but fast,though i missed 80 weaponskill or so when buffed which effects a lot actually... now i am back to slash and the damage is very good even if resisted high.

As for merc spec and race.

Brit/sara 50 thrust 50 dw 28 parry

or

Highlander 50/50/28 slash

Parry is shite,50/50/28 all the way!!!

One more thing,i suppose thrust highlander could be good if you played positionals very well and with the new dual shadows bleed+flank/shadow's rain damage increase with snare.:) I use positionals fairly often now but i just like slash because my weaponskill is stupidly high with it.

K

K0nah

but i just like slash because my weaponskill is stupidly high with it.[/B]

slash is still good(best) dmg type choice for merc, but theres tons of slashers out there already so let the thrustfotm boys balance it out a bit. diversity ist gud ja?

M

Moody

When I made my merc alt long long time ago I chose thrust to be different. If people saw my fighting they asked thrust? WHY GIMP?!! Granted she's only a crafter basically, but now I'm fotm and everyone thinks I /20'd her :(

About the weapons to use, She'll be 50 long after the extra lvl51 weapons patch, so not sure what weapons to use then. Still as fast as possible, or slow and hard hitting?

Ow and there is at least 1 Avalonian merc that I know of. He even chose slash tho he might have respecced by now :)

Z

Zargar

Go the way I did! Avalonian Crush merc. Gotta look fancy you know?

Z

Zargar

What? You don't like macewielders with boyband hair? *shocked*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom