MagnusK - why does the customer need to do this?

Llendil

Loyal Freddie
The problem is that it's intermittent for the users, not a permanent problem, as I said above. No doubt thresholds are being breached at peak-loads or at certain times of day and it's possible packet-shaping is kicking in.

Simply altering the authentication method to limit what servers you need to pull back 'may' fix this problem. At least reviewing how the authentication is being carried out and optimising it is the simplest approach and negates the need to get all your users needlessly phoning ISP support lines to solve it via a cack-handed route that has no guarantee of remaining permanent - I mean let's face it, your network route to the WAR servers will never be a permanent one, devices change all the time!

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
pft, readng through it more throughoutly, I see my comment are pure rubbish :)

Guess I should learn to read more before commenting

Poag

m00?
Sorry if some of my replies are incoherent with the actual problem, but not that bothered that I had read through everything in the thread to every last detail or researched it more than briefly; Then again, I am not influenced by the problem myself

They aren't, Llendil is just choosing to read the bits he wants so he doesn't have to ring his ISP.

I'll also note here that WoW also fetches a server list everytime you login or go to the character selection screen, wow just doesn't advertise it via the status box on the right. It occurs during the "Retrieving Characters" section iirc.

Also, WoW history also contains a number of situations where people had to contact there ISPs, during the early days the wow-europe forums were littered with them and people, argueing like you, that 'they' shouldn't have to do anything and that 'blizzard' should, because its 'their' fault...when in fact its not.

In the end they rang the ISP and the problem got fixed

Llendil

Loyal Freddie
They aren't, Llendil is just choosing to read the bits he wants so he doesn't have to ring his ISP.

I'll also note here that WoW also fetches a server list everytime you login or go to the character selection screen, wow just doesn't advertise it via the status box on the right. It occurs during the "Retrieving Characters" section iirc.

Also, WoW history also contains a number of situations where people had to contact there ISPs, during the early days the wow-europe forums were littered with them and people, argueing like you, that 'they' shouldn't have to do anything and that 'blizzard' should, because its 'their' fault...when in fact its not.

In the end they rang the ISP and the problem got fixed

Blizzard altered their authentication mechanism.

Edit : I'll clarify, Blizzard altered it so your default server came back first, if you want to change server, then you click 'Change Server' and it's at that point it pulls back the list.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
You should move isp llendil.

I'm with plus.net. Whilst I have issues with some of the things they've done and some aspects of my service, I didn't even need to ring them.

I simply logged onto the plus.net forums and commented at which times I was having issues etc etc and then linked the various posts from GOA and their technical guys looked into it and sorted it.

You might believe it's just a bit of code, I don't know tbh. What I do know is that Authentication issues was the first symptom caused by traffic shaping isps. Once I got past authentication failed I got login timeouts caused by my traffic being incorrectly placed in the wrong queues.

There was nothing that GOA could do to resolve this - this is in fact an ISP issue.

Now I realise simply with authentication timeouts yes - the code could possibly simplified - just as it's possible that in time we will be able to fly to the moon in the family motor. It doesn't mean it's likely to happen does it?

Considering that the authentication timeouts happy at peak periods (predominantly) I would imagine it's a combination of factors causing these issues and if you can scratch your isp off the list of "possible issues" you're actually making progress to getting to play the game.

Alternatively you can continue pissing into the wind on the forums :)

M

Llendil

Loyal Freddie
Pretty heavy to move ISP when I'm actually happy with the provided service apart from simply logging into a game on occasion :D

I don't think this is pissing in the wind, it needs to be recognised in some shape and we all know contacting GOA via e-mail never works, it takes publicity on forums for action to occur and for people to spot posts and go 'hey - i've got that problem too!'. With any luck MagnusK might pick this up and go 'alright, alright, I get the message, I'll pass it onto the devs!'. He may not post anything, but it might get a review by someone!

mgX

Fledgling Freddie
okay... since when does isps add "exceptions" for games? its just a darn tcp and udp stream (its just like daoc i bet where the server will fall back on tcp in case udp is fooking up)...

Ports:
TCP: 80, 8040-8047, 10622
UDP: 1024-65535

This is nice...every single port not used by windows for udp?? this is madness... In any case, isps doesnt exactly allow exceptions for games in general but rather connections on certain ports... Commonly isps dont really block ports on their servers but block them on the local routers in your own home. Again normally no ports are blocked and connections are possible. It could be that there is a build-in firewall in the router filtering the traffic... It would simply be too big of a hassle to have a "whitelist" of programs allowed to connect to things, simply because there is no way of identifying a program that tries to make a connection in the first place (does not count for the local machine), unless they want to read and identify packets...again nonsense...

I'd rather suggest you tried to ping some outside sources, like the warhammer servers on the listed ports (erm not the udp ones...would be stoopid)... should give an indication of where it fucks up... Last but not least, port exceptions are almost always made by blocking either tcp or tcp+udp... the other way around makes no sense...

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
okay... since when does isps add "exceptions" for games? its just a darn tcp and udp stream (its just like daoc i bet where the server will fall back on tcp in case udp is fooking up)...

Ports:
TCP: 80, 8040-8047, 10622
UDP: 1024-65535

This is nice...every single port not used by windows for udp?? this is madness... In any case, isps doesnt exactly allow exceptions for games in general but rather connections on certain ports... Commonly isps dont really block ports on their servers but block them on the local routers in your own home. Again normally no ports are blocked and connections are possible. It could be that there is a build-in firewall in the router filtering the traffic... It would simply be too big of a hassle to have a "whitelist" of programs allowed to connect to things, simply because there is no way of identifying a program that tries to make a connection in the first place (does not count for the local machine), unless they want to read and identify packets...again nonsense...

I'd rather suggest you tried to ping some outside sources, like the warhammer servers on the listed ports (erm not the udp ones...would be stoopid)... should give an indication of where it fucks up... Last but not least, port exceptions are almost always made by blocking either tcp or tcp+udp... the other way around makes no sense...

Dunno where you're based MGX but in the UK I can't think of any isps who manage their customers ADSL routers etc etc. I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any.

Most ISP's in the UK use something like ellacoya to flag traffic according to category and then shape their web traffic accordingly. This only really causes issues for warez fiends and gamers. Most ISPs who support alot of gamers will have regular updates where they modify their ellacoya systems to allow game traffic through.

It's just (generally) a bit of a pain whilst they add the exceptions to their equipment. It never happened in DAOC etc because 6/7 years ago the debate about downloading and fair usage was only just coming out into the open and most ISP's didn't really give a shit what you did with your connection as long as it wasn't malicious to their network.

As for pretty heavy LLendl. I dunno mate. If I was paying for a service and I didn't feel I'd be listened too if the policies of my service supplier were preventing me using the service as I wished too I'd either move service or not get it in the first place :)

I'm not saying GOA are in the right here, or Mythic for that matter. I just think you're ignoring some help that's been offered. You're also operating under the illusion that ISP's don't unblock traffic for legitimate applications. Most ISP's that I know of (in the UK) - will quite happily unblock stuff if it's legitimate in it's use.

M

mgX

Fledgling Freddie
Dunno where you're based MGX but in the UK I can't think of any isps who manage their customers ADSL routers etc etc. I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any.

Most ISP's in the UK use something like ellacoya to flag traffic according to category and then shape their web traffic accordingly. This only really causes issues for warez fiends and gamers. Most ISPs who support alot of gamers will have regular updates where they modify their ellacoya systems to allow game traffic through.

It's just (generally) a bit of a pain whilst they add the exceptions to their equipment. It never happened in DAOC etc because 6/7 years ago the debate about downloading and fair usage was only just coming out into the open and most ISP's didn't really give a shit what you did with your connection as long as it wasn't malicious to their network.

As for pretty heavy LLendl. I dunno mate. If I was paying for a service and I didn't feel I'd be listened too if the policies of my service supplier were preventing me using the service as I wished too I'd either move service or not get it in the first place :)

I'm not saying GOA are in the right here, or Mythic for that matter. I just think you're ignoring some help that's been offered. You're also operating under the illusion that ISP's don't unblock traffic for legitimate applications. Most ISP's that I know of (in the UK) - will quite happily unblock stuff if it's legitimate in it's use.

M

Some isps in the old days use to give you a router which they maintained completely...thats what i base it off :) its not a common practise anymore, if it even happens today hehe. Point is, its bs to throw the issue over to the isps, when its either a FAT-40 or goa doing their usual crap.. I was simply stating that whatever this magus guy said is a waste of time to even attempt... its like a bad excuse that doesnt stand up to any reason what so ever...

MephTheLaw

Fledgling Freddie

M
I'm sorry but I have enough qualifications, to be qualified to say this is utter ballocks.

Your ISP doesn't add new ports for new games and such, especially when the games are fully connectable during the day. GoAs networks are lagging hard in prime time and depending on your location, ISP mix and random luck you get timed out by there auth servers. This is a server side fix, not an ISP fix; blaming it on ISPs is just the easy way out, is the scenario lag BTs fault as well? And due to huge number of different players on different ISPs experiencing this problem you can rule it out also.

Oh and your home router, doesn’t suddenly change its firewall rules around 7 ish.

Llendil

Loyal Freddie
and this all boils down to an authentication code fix by GOA, nothing more, nothing less :D

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
I would love to see how many ISPs would, on request from a customer, open/disable traffic shaping on 10 TCP ports and 64512 UDP ports to 1016 destination IP addresses. I'm guessing it'd be quite a low number, probably around 0ish.

Hahaha, so true...

Linwig

Fledgling Freddie
I live about a mile or so from my GF's and we use the same ISP, while her logging in worked for the first day absolutely no problems, it stopped not long after and has been the same for the last week or so. Never had the problem with my account, I use XP and she uses Vista. What concerns me is why would it suddenly stop working for her when it was previsouly fine.

I also used to work for this ISP and I know how these problems are escalated. Your average technician you will speak to is there to help configure browser or OS settings and will not have the first idea what you are going on about. If the person is half decent they will have an idea or at the very least escalate the problem to more senior or technical depts who will be out on lunch, in a meeting, or perhaps in an orgy. The logs of the customers problems will be emailed and stored in a folder which used to be called 'recycle bin' but has been renamed 'customer enquiries'. This PC will then be disconnected from any network, shut down, and buried in quick lime just to make sure the problem is dealt with thoroughly and more important matters can be attended to.

Seriously, don't expect a quick turn around from your ISP ;)

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
If doing it yourself bothers you that much then don't play the game. Very simple tbh.

Llendil

Loyal Freddie
If doing it yourself bothers you that much then don't play the game. Very simple tbh.

I think you'll find that we already reached a conclusion as to the real crux of the problem - GOA need to alter the code, the information they gave would not be actioned by an ISP and basically it's a fob off - no disrespect to MagnusK, but someone has fed him some really duff info. You ought to read the chain through before posting, there is nothing we can do ourselves!

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
I think you'll find that we already reached a conclusion as to the real crux of the problem - GOA need to alter the code, the information they gave would not be actioned by an ISP and basically it's a fob off - no disrespect to MagnusK, but someone has fed him some really duff info. You ought to read the chain through before posting, there is nothing we can do ourselves!

Our conclusion means nothing to him. It's not the first time he asks people who like the game but have technical problems to leave the game or to do utopic things (e.g. call an ISP provider (why again?))...

MephTheLaw

Fledgling Freddie
Must be the same mythic techs that took 2 weeks to tell me "we have no way of finding out the reg keys used in the beta client".

Hello, your company made the game.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!

is this the royal we?

I'm no expert on this lark, I'm sure someone who has more than a laymans knowledge of networking can pick holes or whatever but the way I see it is:

Your ISP is filtering your packets and fiddling about so they can do traffic shaping and screw with the torrenters without screwing with the html browsers.

Problem: Playing WAR (and authenticating to WAR, as well as playing WoW it seems) being UDP traffic gets lumped in with the torrenters.

Solution:
1. Somehow rework the game to only use TCP on port 80... not likely as it'd basically cripple the network speed between you and the server for EVERYONE.
2. ISP adds exception for war-europe and war US destinations.

Llendil

Loyal Freddie
Final time I'll say it :D

A change to the authentication mechanism to avoid the timeouts in the first place is what is needed, not an ISP ring around or request to alter port settings on switches and routers by 5000 people. A phone call to an ISP and a change at an ISP is never permanent. Whilst you are asking for network traffic to be streamlined one way, someone else will be asking for it to be streamlined another for another purpose - just doesn't work!

A code change - If Blizzard can do it for WarCraft and Codemasters can do it for LOTRO, so can Mythic/GOA. It's common sense.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Problem: Playing WAR (and authenticating to WAR, as well as playing WoW it seems) being UDP traffic gets lumped in with the torrenters.

That would affect then every game, as almost every game uses UDP.

Anyway, GOA being part of France Telecom, FT could have asked for traffic priority to their own servers. They have more pull than we do.

I don't have this issue, but I know that calling 99% of the German ISPs would do nothing, but ruin your nerves, because you yet again spoke to someone who hasn't the slightest clue in a random call center and you can't even be angry at the person as he/she/it started 2 days ago and needs the money for living.

One more thing: German servers should have been in Germany, UK ones in UK and French ones in France to make the ways shorter and the amount of parties involved in problem solution smaller but I guess this is too much to ask for for a niche game like Warhammer (spot the sarcasm). The staff seems to be completly elsewhere anyway...

:fluffle:

griralith

Fledgling Freddie
its a well known fact that goa's open transit, is below par at best... maybe they need too look inside to fix the problem. took ages with Daoc so expect it to take ages in War

longbow

Fledgling Freddie
The more I read through this thread the more I can divide folk into groups.
group 1 - those not affected by ctd and dont care
group 2 - those not affected by ctd who think 5000 people ringing their isps will do anything
group 3 - those affected by cdt that havent any idea how it all works
group 4 - those who are affected by ctd and know enough about networking to know where the blame lies.

At the end of the day - if I want to compare what I get - I look at all the mmo games I play or have played in the past and ask myself one question - which ones do I or did I get ctd with? answer just one WAR.
I have never had the kind of ctd issue that I get with WAR with any other game Ive ever played - including going back to when I played on a dialup line at 56k.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
The more I read through this thread the more I can divide folk into groups.
group 1 - those not affected by ctd and dont care
group 2 - those not affected by ctd who think 5000 people ringing their isps will do anything
group 3 - those affected by cdt that havent any idea how it all works
group 4 - those who are affected by ctd and know enough about networking to know where the blame lies.

At the end of the day - if I want to compare what I get - I look at all the mmo games I play or have played in the past and ask myself one question - which ones do I or did I get ctd with? answer just one WAR.
I have never had the kind of ctd issue that I get with WAR with any other game Ive ever played - including going back to when I played on a dialup line at 56k.

This is the lag thread m8, i think theres another for CTD :)

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
Our conclusion means nothing to him.

You would need to prove that your conclusions are correct.

If you're having issues with this game then I can sympathise, but from where I'm sat GOA have done a decent enough job and this is possibly the smoothest and most aggro free game launch I've ever had anything to do with.
There's some problems with the game and a few things I don't like about it, but as far as connectivity goes I haven't had a problem. I know that pisses you off, but there you go.

MephTheLaw

Fledgling Freddie
is this the royal we?

I'm no expert on this lark, I'm sure someone who has more than a laymans knowledge of networking can pick holes or whatever but the way I see it is:

Your ISP is filtering your packets and fiddling about so they can do traffic shaping and screw with the torrenters without screwing with the html browsers.

Solution:
1. Somehow rework the game to only use TCP on port 80... not likely as it'd basically cripple the network speed between you and the server for EVERYONE.

1.) WAR's not the first game and mmo to use UDP, they all do and daoc used it also on port 80 if I remember.
2.) The ISP won't do sweet fa and it's not there reasonability, it's goa below par network and/or open transit as per usual

Anyone actually have this issue on US servers? Bet your bollocks they don't.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
You would need to prove that your conclusions are correct.

If you're having issues with this game then I can sympathise, but from where I'm sat GOA have done a decent enough job and this is possibly the smoothest and most aggro free game launch I've ever had anything to do with.
There's some problems with the game and a few things I don't like about it, but as far as connectivity goes I haven't had a problem. I know that pisses you off, but there you go.

Stop with the legend building, you sound almost as bad as MJ.

No one gives a shit if you can play the game with no connectivity issues, many can't and this will be a problem to the game once the free month is up. If you think that this pisses me off, then you're wrong, it's more your "stop playing the game"-attitude.

1. Pre launch the OB in Europe has been labled by press "the world's most closed open beta ever". Some players have paid for open beta access!
2. GOA's CEO had to apologize, in the middle of a night, to his customers.
3. Mythic's CEO had to apologize, saying the GOA dropped the ball.
4. On retail launch day, the authetification system was running 3 hours later than promised and errors with authetification still prevail until today, keeping players out!
5. We have been promised equal service, but we don't have it, for a simple comparison visit GOA's and Mythic's pages and draw your own conclusions. I will not go into detail what's all wrong with GOA's website, it has been discussed to death!
6. Lag makes PvP almost pointless, this is a core feature of the game! Abilities/spells aren't going off, people are frustrated and log off, some mention that they will not resubscribe at this state after the free month.
7. Game is suffering from glitches that DAoC had (geometry, pathing, ghosting) and some of the new features like collision detection aren't working like they should. The promised good CC is broken, roots rarely get broken upon damage, you can get chain knocked off.
8. There is no class balance in this game yet.

Add random CTDs and memory leaks to it, the degrading FPS after running the game for longer and we have a game that has a similar level of quality as Tabula Rasa and Age of Conan had.

The only difference for now I see between Warhammer and the two other mentioned games is that MJ and EA/Mythic seemsto be commited to put more money into Warhammer and work on the issues. NCsoft and Funcom had to pull the emergency trip wire and cut the further developement big. Warhammer has been in development for 3 years and builds on a industry standard game engine (Gamebryo), I think the Tabula Rasa and Age of Conan teams developed their own engines, making the overall development more complex and risky, put this into relation and you'll maybe see clearer where Warhammer is.

I can be a critic of how some things run and still be a fan of the game and enjoy it, but as long as I don't see how GOA addresses the issues they're responsible for and as long as I don't see a little more pre-planning (e.g. not putting the web services up and launching the game at the same time) you'll see me and others bringing such stuff up.

We will simply not allow to get bullshited as we did get with DAOC!

We raised our concerns when GOA got the contract, we have been promised equal service, we pay for it, we demand it!

Next test will be the billing system, prolly going just online before the first account runs out.

Poag

m00?
and this all boils down to an authentication code fix by GOA, nothing more, nothing less :D

Final time I'll say it :D

A change to the authentication mechanism to avoid the timeouts in the first place is what is needed, not an ISP ring around or request to alter port settings on switches and routers by 5000 people. A phone call to an ISP and a change at an ISP is never permanent. Whilst you are asking for network traffic to be streamlined one way, someone else will be asking for it to be streamlined another for another purpose - just doesn't work!

A code change - If Blizzard can do it for WarCraft and Codemasters can do it for LOTRO, so can Mythic/GOA. It's common sense.

And this is the final time i'll say this.

If it was, as you say, GOAs problem, or Mythics for that, it wouldaffect THOUSANDS of players. This forum would be inundated with angry people trying to burn witches.

But hey look, its not..its just YOU..where the hell are you getting this magically round number of 5000 players from anyway?

Does that subtle fact tunnel its way into your head in the slightest form? Does you brain then go "OMG NOES I AM ZEE WRONG...I shall continue repeating crap information for the world+dog to make them believe I am even more of an idiot" ?

Is that what occurs? because I am really at my whits end with you and your opinion that because something doesn't work for YOU that it must be wrong.
When theres 500,000+ people currently playing the game [500k sales in the first weekend, not seen any additional stats since then] around the world, you'd expect that if this was a "Big issue" like you are trying so very very very hard to make out that it is...there'd be more than one person on a forum of some 12,000 people with the problem right?

Seriously i WISH this was a big problem so that the queues on KEP would go down...i really do...those goddam tards. But the simple goddam fact of the matter is, it is not a big issue that you are trying to make it out to be.

You have two choices

1- Report it to your ISP and get it fixed this week
or
2- Keep repeating that its GOAs fault untill you pass out.

I'm hoping for 2 as it may improve the genepool.

The End.

mgX

Fledgling Freddie
is this the royal we?

Solution:

OOkay here comes some common knowledge... The auth sequence does NOT use UDP. UDP is only used for updates regarding movement etc (at least if it is the same case as they did with daoc, which i have reasons to believe it is, helooo reverse engineering... :)). You simply cannot use udp for the auth sequence nor the login stuff since its encrypted. With UDP there is no check for packet consistency, meaning its not guarenteed that the packets will not be lost underway. Works for movement and other encrypted data that doesnt rely on consistency to actually be decrypted. (hence why daoc used a fixed key for encryption/decryption which was transmitted to the client on startup). If you look at something like blowfish which is used with wow, it would NOT be possible to use UDP since the encryptionkey is ever changing, and it would require some silly bruteforcing to pick up on the sequence in case it was lost. The auth sequence is without a doubt encrypted much more heavily than the actual ping ponging when ingame (security reasons). Only logcal conclusion is that TCP is being used for auth. Torrents are NOT UDP either, again chance of packets to drop without anyone knowing it...-_-...

Your solution: Err wrong again... port 80 is already reserved by the OS for http traffic, which is why they use the 8000 range. Now go to wikipedia and read a little about these things before making silly claims.

Now, the next topic. What can goa actually do?.
First of, i dont know what agreement goa has with mythic, but it seems to be diffrent from what they had with daoc. With daoc mythic basically outsourced the code to goa and allowed them to do whatever they wanted, which is why we had to wait ages for expansions since they had to be translated into god knows what language. With war it seems that mythic is running the and goa is doing nothing but running the servers and the backend (this is NOT the auth server nor any of the gameservers, since the only logical conclusion is that they come out of the box from mythic). Goa has their own backend with how to tie stuff to the database, own website etc. They just make it compatible with the box they got from mythic, which is why the accountmanagement differs from what they have in the states. This leads to the conclusion that since they dont seem to have the problem on the US servers, something is wrong with either wrong with the backend goa made (which in a way seems kinda strange since the auth sequence is between authserver and client, which goa doesnt seem to be involved in). The auth failed part is, considering i dont know where it fucks up whether it is the connection to the authserver, or the authserver checking accounts. In the first scenario the error is most likely caused by GOA's isp which is what these days...still wannado, or do they have their own backbone.

So, only logical conclusion is: In case this is a euro problem, its either caused by A: goa's crap hardware tends to drop users or deny them access all together, or B somehow their backend for accountmanagement is fooked up... (which again is kinda strange since it only affects some users and not all...again back to the goa having connectivity issues...)

Isn't that because windows decides which UDP port to use?

the OS reserves the ports below...both tcp and udp...

1.) WAR's not the first game and mmo to use UDP, they all do and daoc used it also on port 80 if I remember.
2.) The ISP won't do sweet fa and it's not there reasonability, it's goa below par network and/or open transit as per usual

Anyone actually have this issue on US servers? Bet your bollocks they don't.

Ya dont use port 80 for 3rd part programs damnit :/ its reserved for http....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom