macro users are dumb too

A

Asha

Originally posted by Nebel
FFS.... it DOES give u an advantage caus u get cash easier than others do... more cash --> can buy more uber stuff from peeps who auction Sidi-stuff for example....

what about i put a pet on agressive into a green/blue camp, macro a cleric that heals some every 20 secs... get drops and exp, then i macro the hinging from the drops....

where in your eyes is the borderline between an "okay"-cheat and a "bad" cheat" ????

you don't exactly get cash easier, you still have to farm the seals or buy them which greatly reduces your profits

your char is still being used so it's not like you can go off and farm realm points or exp... just you can read a book or watch a movie or whatever.

You could use all your arguements for bots. Bots are essentially using a full spec line passively. It's a totally unfair cheat. In fact it makes a much bigger impact on the game than macroing does.

In fact I would say macroing is good because it lowers the crafting prices and increases the diamond seal prices, these things are good for the casual player.

If mythic didn't intend things like bots, they wouldn't have made enhance so passive. If mythic didn't intend macroing, then they wouldn't have made the trinketing system so easy to abuse.

L

Lomald Umilinn

Actually quite funny post :). It's rather funny how some people define cheating. Running a program pushing a key for you .. or building a LEGO machine to push a key for you? (yes i've seen a movie of someone doing that ,p) how could you tell the difference? Is it cheating to macro hingies, tradeskills and stuffs?

How can that be cheating when you don't gain anything except RL time for it? You don't get richer, you don't get more famous, you don't get more experience, you don't get more realm points. So where is the cheating? I don't achieve anything i couldn't have done if i played honest so I can't be cheating if i use a macro :).

Still cost me the same money, probably even 75% more if i macro.
Still takes just as much time as pushing teh button itself.
Still need to get lucky with teh bloody skill points.
Still looses same amount of materials.

Now look at it ... you can't say it's cheating becuase i don't achive anything that everyone else can't achive, so cut the Bullshit about it being cheat :).

What if I told you that all my LGM's were macroed while i watched a movie? What if I told you that all my friends LGM's are macroed while being at my home watching the same movie? What if I told you that everyone above 15 years knows how to do it and ARE using it? What if I told you that everyone else have probably tried it or couldn't figure it out?

What are you going to do about it? Ban me? Tell / report me to GoA and hope they ban me for something i could've done like 2 years ago? Or are you just jellous becuase your brains are to stupid to figure out how to use it? There is absolutely no cheating involved in using a macro to skill up a tradeskill.

Cheating = Exploit or use something that ain't part of game to get an advantage over something. Macroing don't give any advantage other then you can watch a movie, read a book, cook .. whatever. Things i could have done pushing the button every 1 min watching the movie next to my computer siting in front of it.

Regards.

Ps- Say what you wan't about this, but I wouldn't even think twice before using a macro to hingie nor make a new LGM Ds-

A

Ala

omg dobbers :rolleyes:

Is using a crafting macro really interferring with YOUR game? DAoC has sooo many levels of stuff (lvling, crafting, rvr, quests) worth spending time on.

cry more tbh:p

K

kirennia

Just a quick question to those trying to justify macro-crafting; if some1 found a way to just leave their character AFK for a week, go on holiday and come back at lvl 50, or do the same and come back as realm rank 10, having done absolutely nothing but had their computer logged on, would you not call them a cheat :p

A

Asha

no kir, cause leveling and rvr are playing the game

trinketing isn't

E

Eggy

Never tried it myself, but I guess there's 3 scenarios:

a) Stand in Diogel/Your house etc with 10,000 bars of arcanium, and repeatedly press "5", watching the pretty little bar increase to 100%, then pop with a little hinge of your very own. Repeat this, x thousand amount of times, gaining (I reckon), a better insight into the working of the game, and using your RL time productively. Get bored, get RSI, go to bed, cry because you just spent 6 hours pressing one key.

b) Stand in Diogel/Your house etc with 10,000 bars of arcanium. Start your macro thingy. Watch 2 pretty little bars increase to 100%, then pop witha little hinge of your very own. Repeat this, x thousand amount of times, while you get drunk, dance in cheesy clubs, watch DVDs, get laid (a foreign concept for most whiners, imo), run a recording session, write a poem, suck dick, whatever you're into. Come back, a bit richer, having had a pretty damn good time.

c) Watch someone do it, then come and whine on BW.

:great:

B

bob007

Originally posted by Asha

I think it's pretty funny how rabid some people are for the name and shame til it is one of their own.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

L

Lomald Umilinn

Originally posted by Eggy
Never tried it myself, but I guess there's 3 scenarios:

a) Stand in Diogel/Your house etc with 10,000 bars of arcanium, and repeatedly press "5", watching the pretty little bar increase to 100%, then pop with a little hinge of your very own. Repeat this, x thousand amount of times, gaining (I reckon), a better insight into the working of the game, and using your RL time productively. Get bored, get RSI, go to bed, cry because you just spent 6 hours pressing one key.

b) Stand in Diogel/Your house etc with 10,000 bars of arcanium. Start your macro thingy. Watch 2 pretty little bars increase to 100%, then pop witha little hinge of your very own. Repeat this, x thousand amount of times, while you get drunk, dance in cheesy clubs, watch DVDs, get laid (a foreign concept for most whiners, imo), run a recording session, write a poem, suck dick, whatever you're into. Come back, a bit richer, having had a pretty damn good time.

c) Watch someone do it, then come and whine on BW.

:great:

I'd gladly choose option B without any doubt.

G

Gordonax

you don't exactly get cash easier, you still have to farm the seals or buy them which greatly reduces your profits

your char is still being used so it's not like you can go off and farm realm points or exp... just you can read a book or watch a movie or whatever.

Two accounts, two computers. It's pretty easy to farm seals/powerlevel people on one machine while your macro'd crafter works on the other. Easily make a load of cash doing that, as well.

Sorry, Asha, but it IS cheating. And while I think it's relatively minor compared to some of the cheating that goes on, it deserves a ban (although not a perma-ban). Mythic didn't intend for it to be done, otherwise they wouldn't ban people for it (and they have).

G

Gordonax

no kir, cause leveling and rvr are playing the game

trinketing isn't

Well that's where you're wrong. Although I don't craft much myself, I have friends who spend most of their time crafting. They enjoy it - the challenge of skilling one up to LGM status, the sheer bloodymindedness it takes. Macroing devalues their achievement in having the persistence (some would say insanity) to push the same buttons over and over again for so long. Just as being able to macro levelling or farming RPs would devalue the achievement of hitting level 50 or RR10.

A

Asha

Well no, because trinketing involves hitting one key over and over and over and over then hitting another key over and over and over and over. (No jokes about DF please :p ).

Leveling and RvR generally involve other people, making decisions, working together, or trying to overcome another person - in short - interaction.

Crafting is a very minor part of the game itself and like I said before, macroing only helps the average player because it lowers weapon/armor prices and increases the value of diamond seals.

If you have two accounts you can do anything. It's not a valid arguement. You could craft and play your other account just as easily if you have two pcs.

The funny part is that I don't have a crafter and I don't have any macro programs... I just find it so silly how ppl scream for bans and etc when they're probably using stuff crafted by someone who used a macro program. They probably have sold diamonds to a trinketer. Or they use buffbots which is a much much bigger advantage over other players - both in pve and pvp.

S

Simius

Originally posted by Gordonax
the challenge of skilling one up to LGM status, the sheer bloodymindedness it takes. Macroing devalues their achievement in having the persistence (some would say insanity) to push the same buttons over and over again for so long. Just as being able to macro levelling or farming RPs would devalue the achievement of hitting level 50 or RR10.
Pretty much hits the nail on the head. The whole process of skilling a crafter is never going to be laugh a minute, but the fact that it takes so much persistance is all part of the challenge. Just because people can't be bothered with the time it takes doesn't mean that firing up a macro program becomes ok just the same as because I find xp-ing dull macroing that becomes acceptable. Both aspects of the game are in the end just a series of pushing buttons, it's the time you put into them that makes them your characters.

Though this may not register with the majority of people, playing as a crafter is a whole game in itself. Funding them, skilling them and actually helping people with them is a challenge, and the fact that some people think its ok to get a macro to help them with this and then flood the market with cheap goods paid for by macroed hinges takes away from the people who actually try to play crafters properly.

I haven't used a macro in over 6000 skill points, I keep my guild stocked with equipment, I don't trinket for cash and I will accept any order if I have the time and a lot even if I don't. That's a crafter, not some hingebot macroing at the forge. If someone cheated their way to your level and realm rank you can't tell me that's acceptable, so why is macro crafting any different?

Q

quinthar

quinthar you look pretty stupid compairing macroing to being lvl 65. If you can't see the difference, then you need some help.

Macroing doesn't give you any advantage but TIME. It doesn't give you better weapons or higher AF. In fact, I doubt people use macros to do MP weapons etc because you want to stop when you get a MP.

I think it's pretty funny how rabid some people are for the name and shame til it is one of their own.

I doubt 90% of crafters macro, but 50% or so probably do. Many people craft soley for trinketing.

Is it any worse than buffbots? Using a bbot give you an advantage over others that isn't fair. It also renders 40-49 spec enhance clerics obsolete. Does that mean it's as evil as radar?

So where would you draw the line at cheating then? You saying that using a macro does nobody any harm...well, I worked hard to get my LGM, why should I sit back and look at some macroing fool take business away from my chars, why should I have to sit and watch some idiot that cant be arsed to do anything for him or herself become what used to be a valued commodity in the game?

Where exactly is that "not cheating"? just because you seem incapable of identifing it, for me the fact he/she blew 1.8 plat makes this funny the accusations that followed it are not.

Why is it fools that cant pose a reasoned argument have to resort to "if you cant understand that then you need help" The lvl65 was used as a starting point for a discussion, since its not possible its a moot point isnt it.

However, if I found a hack to make all my chars lvl50 thats wouldn't be cheating in your eyes would it?

If I found a hack to give myself 500 plat every 2 days that wouldn't be cheating in your eyes would it?

After all I'm not hurting anybody am I??

The flaw with your point is that YES is does affect people, if I had a cash cheat, perhaps I could out bid a player in an auction, if I had a lvl50 hack perhaps I would take away a lotted item of somebody that had worked thier way to 50, is that fair?

Just because you cannot see the fine line between cheating and affecting other people doesn't mean its not an issue.

Sure I have taken this to extremes but perhaps now you will see that there is a cause and there is an effect for people using "Harmless Macros"

Q

quinthar

Originally posted by xevius
You need to get a fucking life imo tbh
funny fuck. Personal acusations and stupid comments you can shove up you know where.

pot kettle black ???

Q

quinthar

Well no, because trinketing involves hitting one key over and over and over and over then hitting another key over and over and over and over. (No jokes about DF please :p ).

Leveling and RvR generally involve other people, making decisions, working together, or trying to overcome another person - in short - interaction.

Crafting is a very minor part of the game itself and like I said before, macroing only helps the average player because it lowers weapon/armor prices and increases the value of diamond seals.

Stuff Cropped -----------

Crafting is a massive part of the game, the number of crafters is directly proportional to the cost of items, its called supply and demand rather basic economics. I wont explain how I think macro'ing effects this because I have done that in another post.

What does worry me is the number of people that keep saying it has no bearing on the game at all, when it has profound effects.

Crafting in general is pretty much 1 button over and over till you get the item.

Q

quinthar

Originally posted by Lomald Umilinn
I'd gladly choose option B without any doubt.

Funny, I thought you'd say that....

Q

quinthar

Originally posted by Simius
Pretty much hits the nail on the head. The whole process of skilling a crafter is never going to be laugh a minute, but the fact that it takes so much persistance is all part of the challenge. Just because people can't be bothered with the time it takes doesn't mean that firing up a macro program becomes ok just the same as because I find xp-ing dull macroing that becomes acceptable. Both aspects of the game are in the end just a series of pushing buttons, it's the time you put into them that makes them your characters.

Though this may not register with the majority of people, playing as a crafter is a whole game in itself. Funding them, skilling them and actually helping people with them is a challenge, and the fact that some people think its ok to get a macro to help them with this and then flood the market with cheap goods paid for by macroed hinges takes away from the people who actually try to play crafters properly.

I haven't used a macro in over 6000 skill points, I keep my guild stocked with equipment, I don't trinket for cash and I will accept any order if I have the time and a lot even if I don't. That's a crafter, not some hingebot macroing at the forge. If someone cheated their way to your level and realm rank you can't tell me that's acceptable, so why is macro crafting any different?

What he said...wheres the challenge in macro'ing?

I consider my LGM a great acheivement, more so than my RR5 Chars that I have, frankly if I went down the macro'ing option I would leave the game in no time, whats the point in staying?

If DAOC was made without challenges everybody would get LGM's and every char you made would be LVL50, oh wouldnt that be fun. After all the Lvl20 cmd was made to reward lvl50 chars on getting to 50...or did I read that bit wrong??

What makes daoc good is the fact you generally have to work at it to make a difference and get somewhere.

At least I can say I earnt my LGM.

F

Flimgoblin

Actually quite funny post :). It's rather funny how some people define cheating. Running a program pushing a key for you .. or building a LEGO machine to push a key for you? (yes i've seen a movie of someone doing that ,p) how could you tell the difference? Is it cheating to macro hingies, tradeskills and stuffs?

point - hardware and software macroing are both illegal :)

and technically the "pay little brother with chocolate to press button" is illegal in that its account sharing but I'd imagine it's less frowned upon ;)

(and before anyone jumps to any conclusions, I have no little brothers or sisters and in fact my highest crafter is at 500 :p after 2 weeks of consignments in Camelot to raise cash for our guild emblem...)

G

Gordonax

Damn! I was just about that say that... :)

Others have anwered this so I won't dwell on the point, but to many people crafting ISN'T a minor part of the game. Hard to believe, I know (they must be some kind of masochist!) but true.

As for it being a benefit to others, think about it this way: if you found a way to make RR10 by macroing, it would be a benefit to the rest of Albion, too. But it would also remove the challenge of getting to RR10 and devalue the rank, just as macroing devalues the status of getting to LGM.

L

Lomald Umilinn

Originally posted by Flimgoblin
point - hardware and software macroing are both illegal :)

and technically the "pay little brother with chocolate to press button" is illegal in that its account sharing but I'd imagine it's less frowned upon ;)

(and before anyone jumps to any conclusions, I have no little brothers or sisters and in fact my highest crafter is at 500 :p after 2 weeks of consignments in Camelot to raise cash for our guild emblem...)

Nope that's where you are wrong :p
Paying my sister to press this button for a chocolate bar every hour ain't account sharing becuase im the only one with my sub login/pass game login/pass and my computer is the only computer playing my account :p.

Hardware and software macroing ain't illegal in anyway, it might break the CoC but it's in no way illegal :). As in example my friend got a mouse for 100$ that can record events and playback it .. it has an in-built memory recorder for the mouse events. Is he cheating because he uses this to craft or is he just like all buffbot users, paying more money to get an easier life?

Macroing ain't cheating. End of story.
It's against CoC. End of story.

L

Lomald Umilinn

Originally posted by quinthar
Funny, I thought you'd say that....

Indd and I'm proud of it as it's not cheating, it's just breaking CoC (what everyone is doing more or less everyday) which have seious issues that needs to be updated. And I'm proud of it because I know crafting is all about how much money you will loose per skill point.

A

Asha

** Long post warning **

Originally posted by Simius

What you’re saying doesn’t make any sense. First of all you can’t level a crafter on hinging. Second of all, macroing does NOT produce cheaper goods. It costs the same to level a crafter and the same to produce items macroing or not. Totally flawed argument. What macroing does mean is more crafters, more competition, and less inflated prices. The only thing that macroing gains you is irl TIME.

Because RR takes some skill, and except for stealthers it takes team work, cooperation, interaction etc. The crafting system on DAOC is stupid and boring. It is not fun in any way shape or form. No one can tell me that it’s fun. The closest to fun is getting a MP on the first try. Whoo hooo… plz… it’s not a game in itself it’s a joke. I am sorry you have spent hundreds of hours to level up crafters. I am glad if you enjoy helping your friends, but I don’t see how mr. x hinging affects your crafting for your guildmates.

Originally posted by quinthar

So where would you draw the line at cheating then? You saying that using a macro does nobody any harm...well, I worked hard to get my LGM, why should I sit back and look at some macroing fool take business away from my chars, why should I have to sit and watch some idiot that cant be arsed to do anything for him or herself become what used to be a valued commodity in the game?

What does it matter if they macro or not? The prices are based on how much it costs them (retries) to make something. That isn’t affected by macros. Also, for high level items that you’re going to be making money off of, you don’t macro those. Also, and this is important listen, macroing is actually good for MP prices. Why? Because macroing puts a lot more money into the economy and means that people can afford to pay more gold for MP items. The down side is the price of drops, but you can always go hunt for drops yourself. The big up side is that casual players have a much easier time to get decent gear and everyone can afford the set price things in the game more easily.

Where exactly is that "not cheating"? just because you seem incapable of identifing it, for me the fact he/she blew 1.8 plat makes this funny the accusations that followed it are not.

However, if I found a hack to make all my chars lvl50 thats wouldn't be cheating in your eyes would it?

If I found a hack to give myself 500 plat every 2 days that wouldn't be cheating in your eyes would it?

After all I'm not hurting anybody am I??

It’s not the same because it’s the point of the game; working together to level and get realm levels is the point. Getting plat levels is not the point of the game. If that is what you play for, then I don’t really understand you so maybe we should stop the discussion. Hinging isn’t the same as duping 500 plat. It still takes time and means that your character is being used – just your brain isn’t.

The flaw with your point is that YES is does affect people, if I had a cash cheat, perhaps I could out bid a player in an auction, if I had a lvl50 hack perhaps I would take away a lotted item of somebody that had worked thier way to 50, is that fair?

Just because you cannot see the fine line between cheating and affecting other people doesn't mean its not an issue.

Sure I have taken this to extremes but perhaps now you will see that there is a cause and there is an effect for people using "Harmless Macros"

Like I said before, it’s not the same thing. Your examples are completely different. It isn’t a cheat to trinket – it’s a part of the game that Mythic built in to put more cash into the economy. Like I said before, macroing is closer to bbotting. If I have lvl 50 buffs from a totally inactive char that I am not actively playing at all, then maybe I can beat an unbuffed SB. That SB doesn’t stand a chance tbh. Only, macros are even less invasive to the game than that because all they offer is real time. A non-macro crafter can achieve the same cash and the same items as a macro crafter – the only difference is that the macro crafter can do something else with his time. A non-bbot user can never equal a bbot user no matter how much time he invests.

Crafting is a massive part of the game, the number of crafters is directly proportional to the cost of items, its called supply and demand rather basic economics. I wont explain how I think macro'ing effects this because I have done that in another post.

Sorry, but you don’t understand economics very well. The number of crafters is in no way directly proportional to the cost of items. The number of crafters does affect the PRICE of items, but the COST of items is fixed by the COST of materials involved which is controlled by the random success rate and random quality rate. Each MP still takes on average xxx amount of retries, no matter how many crafters are crafting. This is why MP still cost quite a bit – their costs cannot drop below a certain point. The profit margin might be lower for you, but the costs are still the same. If that is what you’re concerned with, then I don’t understand why not just trinket? Both are just pushing one button over and over and over. If the goal is money, then why not trinket?

Another point is that you seem to be upset that there are more MP out there because there are more LGM crafters out there because they used macros to lvl up. Thus you can’t charge hugely inflated prices for MP items. This has nothing to do with macro-trinketing. Trinketing just means more money in the system. More money in the system means more money for buying your crafted items. It also means that money is worth less compared to rare items. I think it’s an ok trade off.

I consider my LGM a great acheivement, more so than my RR5 Chars that I have, frankly if I went down the macro'ing option I would leave the game in no time, whats the point in staying?

I don’t understand you. You don’t see the point of RvR, PvE, raids, roleplaying… these are the whole POINT of the game. Crafting is a sideline of the game. I just don’t understand people who only play to craft. What is the point of crafting if you don’t use the sword? What is the point of having pretend money in a game if you don’t use it?

What makes daoc good is the fact you generally have to work at it to make a difference and get somewhere.

At least I can say I earnt my LGM.

How nice for you…

B

Bejeezus

One of you bright sparks explain to me how macroing is breaking the CoC but not cheating?

It's illegally using a 3rd party program to accomplish something with far less effort, if that's not cheating then what is?

A

Asha

yeah it is cheating, but so is bbot, so was daox, and several other things that go on :)

I think that there are a few lgm crafters who have a little right to be pissed cause they can't charge 500% mark-ups or make crazy demands à la Kiarra, but I think the people it benefits far outweighs them sorry :)

T

tripitaka

My Turn - and a bit of a long one, but this is the way i see it...

Originally posted by xevius
fu?

Firstly - I think the post about pots n kettles was referring to personal accusation and insults. and you took the bait again. He was saying about pots n kettles because you offered a completely contradictory post previous to the 'fu?' statement.

Secondly...

Hardware and software macroing ain't illegal in anyway, it might break the CoC but it's in no way illegal :). As in example my friend got a mouse for 100$ that can record events and playback it .. it has an in-built memory recorder for the mouse events. Is he cheating because he uses this to craft or is he just like all buffbot users, paying more money to get an easier life?

Macroing ain't cheating. End of story.
It's against CoC. End of story.

To me, i see macroing as cheating because :

1 It breaks the COC as you pointed out.
I think the COC says somewhere about using any program outside of DAOC for personal gain.. or words to that effect..

Macro crafting/trinketing : Getting rich quicker than by usual means - (personal gain), by using a macro program (outside of DAOC).

2 Imagine this:

A non macroing crafter spends the evening trinketing. He presses the number 5 (or whatever) to trinket approx once every 30 seconds, all evening lets say 7pm - 12am. 5 hours.

At least a couple of times he's gonna go to the toilet, grab a bite to eat, drink, off for a smoke etc. He wont go 5 hours solid. But he'll make some money and be generally pleased.

NOW...

The macroer :

A macroing crafter spends the evening trinketing. He presses whatever key hr needs to start his macro - to trinket once every 30 seconds for the same amount of time.

At least a couple of times he's gonna go to the toilet, grab a bite to eat, drink, off for a smoke etc same as the non macroer BUT he'll continue to macro trinket. He WILL go 5 hours solid. he'll make some money, MORE money in a shorter time and be VERY pleased.

If this goes on for 1 week, excluding farming:

The macro crafter will gain substantiably more money than the non macroer - therefore able to buy a cottage / Sidi weapon / wife / whatever long before the non crafter could - all because he couldn't be arsed to sit there and work like the game intended.

The non macroer misses out because he doesn't have the funds.

Cheating plain and simple, if outlined correctly imo, which i had shown above.

If the macro crafter had asked his guildies to giv ehim 3 plat then trinketed the 3 plat back and given it back to guildies just for that weapon / wife , etc. then thats fine - he would still get the item before the non macro crafter could do the same.

T

Tranquil-

Mythic doesn't punish macroers because they think macroers do something that affects the game economy badly. They punish them because they use a 3rd party program which lets the macroers get something with less effort than what they intended crafting to be.

Mythic doesn't look at crafting as something to do on the side like you do. It's a way of playing the game that doesn't involve the pve/rvr side of the game as much as perhaps you like. But they still evolve the game to fit these aspects aswell.

When exaggerating a bit this means that the macroers are depriving the gameplay experience for the ones that got their crafting skills the way Mythic intended it to be.

What YOU feel the important parts of the game are isn't necessarily it. Mythic tries to involve the ones who like to craft into the game aswell. That's the point.

A

Asha

mythic aren't so angelic. they made the buffs system specifically so that people would have bbots - more accounts - more money for mythic.

they have made macroing/trinketing just as easy, and in fact made it even easier now and harder to notice (housing anyone?), I guess in the hope that people will have craft bots too? I don't see the point to make it so damn easy. It would have been simple for them to make it harder.

And sorry, but crafting isn't on the same level as pve and rvr. If so, then why does it have such great animations? If so, then why is it so damn limited? If so, then why does it require 0 interaction with other people? If so, then why are there better dropped items (even more in TOA)? If so, then why does it give very small rewards - it doesn't make your character better. You still have to level up and etc to get use of the weapons you craft.

It's not me saying crafting is secondary (or lower), it's mythic.

Users who are viewing this thread