love rvr atm

Septina

Part of the furniture
Cant see any reason to sit round a fop after a fight other than to rest up & wait for RA's & other abilities to become active & that imo is for losers who cant deal with losing in a game.

I know for sure Severance had some awesome fights whan a group turned up just after you had fought, sometimes another after that also if you got lucky.

If you wanted to rest you fecked off to milegate/tower/zonewall whatever & if you got jumped there you had a fight & whined like a biatch on irc if you lost or took the piss if you won.

Think the point is that the fg people are after fun and even fights, letting a group rest up, get full power before attacking them will just mean a better fight for both groups, i cant see any reason to attack a resting or low on power group other than that you're after the easy rps and couldnt give two shits about even fights. :p
During the 5+ years i've played daoc and been a part of the 'fg communitys' of the various servers i've played on i can honestly say the only group i've seen resting ra's have been Restbash on Avalon. :p
Mutual respect between fg's results in better fights and in the end that's what (atleast the fg players) are after. :)

Dard

Part of the furniture
Think the point is that the fg people are after fun and even fights, letting a group rest up, get full power before attacking them will just mean a better fight for both groups, i cant see any reason to attack a resting or low on power group other than that you're after the easy rps and couldnt give two shits about even fights. :p
During the 5+ years i've played daoc and been a part of the 'fg communitys' of the various servers i've played on i can honestly say the only group i've seen resting ra's have been Restbash on Avalon. :p
Mutual respect between fg's results in better fights and in the end that's what (atleast the fg players) are after. :)

Rubbish imo ...Grps want to fight & want to win mostly or it would be training dirks at lvl1 or RP off at RR5 or so then you get fair & even, but hey, its just my opinion .. anyone sat on there arse in a RvR zone should be prepared to be bombed. :)

&

Even though i only played Avalon for a short period of time i've seen most grp's in the fg zone sitting at a FoP at some point.

Septina

Part of the furniture
Rubbish imo ...Grps want to fight & want to win mostly or it would be training dirks at lvl1 or RP off at RR5 or so then you get fair & even, but hey, its just my opinion .. anyone sat on there arse in a RvR zone should be prepared to be bombed. :)

&

Even though i only played Avalon for a short period of time i've seen most grp's in the fg zone sitting at a FoP at some point.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to whatever playstyle you want, if you want to kill everything you come across from an enemy realm then by all means do it, but like Frs said, stay the fuck out of the fg zone then? :) The groups running in the fg zone agree to show mutual respect towards eachother and dont play after the 'IF ITS RED ITS DEAD' mentality. :p

Engaging groups on 'equal terms' as in, full power and such leads to better and longer fights = more fun for the people that play this game for the fg fighting. :)

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
yea thats what got us in the end altho was an elf tiarna :D

Well you let yourself get killed by Photon, that's the only sucky thing. :clap:

He was probably nuking you from 8 units, that's his usual OP play skillz!

(You know you love it Souly) :sex:

Dard

Part of the furniture
That's your opinion and you are entitled to whatever playstyle you want, if you want to kill everything you come across from an enemy realm then by all means do it, but like Frs said, stay the fuck out of the fg zone then? :) The groups running in the fg zone agree to show mutual respect towards eachother and dont play after the 'IF ITS RED ITS DEAD' mentality. :p

Engaging groups on 'equal terms' as in, full power and such leads to better and longer fights = more fun for the people that play this game for the fg fighting. :)

Just looked back through my posts & cant see where at all i said "if its red its dead" & this stay the fuck out of the fg zone attitude you & Frs have is the reason why FG players get a bad rep. I like my 8v8's as much as you do i expect, when the Severance grp i ran with (Musejedi, Ethilds, Aegnor, Zeph etc etc) we tried to respect the other grps out but we would never have expected to sit in the middle of Agramon after having a fight & have the likes of PE or Maelstrom run by & not attack us (& nor would they).

With todays power regen rates, artifacts, mythrians theres even less of a reason to rest up imo & if you feel you really need to stop after each fight just to make sure everything is tickety-boo then you have my sympathies, fucking sad attitude to have when your playing a computer game.

Septina

Part of the furniture
Just looked back through my posts & cant see where at all i said "if its red its dead" & this stay the fuck out of the fg zone attitude you & Frs have is the reason why FG players get a bad rep. I like my 8v8's as much as you do i expect, when the Severance grp i ran with (Musejedi, Ethilds, Aegnor, Zeph etc etc) we tried to respect the other grps out but we would never have expected to sit in the middle of Agramon after having a fight & have the likes of PE or Maelstrom run by & not attack us (& nor would they).

With todays power regen rates, artifacts, mythrians theres even less of a reason to rest up imo & if you feel you really need to stop after each fight just to make sure everything is tickety-boo then you have my sympathies, fucking sad attitude to have when your playing a computer game.

It's pretty simple, you want to be a part of the fg scene on a server you dont attack resting groups no matter what. :p If you feel the need to attack resting groups you'll just get pretty much every group that actually respects other grps ganging up on you and adding you down. :)
The zone rules are there for a reason and most people have no problems with them.

Edit: I couldnt care less if some groups actually stand in fop resting RA's to be able to compete, i can say, from my POV atleast there are hardly (if any) groups that do this in whatever zone is the fg zone. After a fight people fop up, redo whatever buffs are missing, redo resists and wait for ld's if someone disconnected.

Kaomond

Fledgling Freddie
What exactly is a FG zone?
Are these player defined areas or are they actual game designed areas?
What are these rules people talk about?
Are they defined by players or GM's?

Dard

Part of the furniture
It's pretty simple, you want to be a part of the fg scene on a server you dont attack resting groups no matter what. :p If you feel the need to attack resting groups you'll just get pretty much every group that actually respects other grps ganging up on you and adding you down. :)
The zone rules are there for a reason and most people have no problems with them.

Edit: I couldnt care less if some groups actually stand in fop resting RA's to be able to compete, i can say, from my POV atleast there are hardly (if any) groups that do this in whatever zone is the fg zone. After a fight people fop up, redo whatever buffs are missing, redo resists and wait for ld's if someone disconnected.

Welcome to Dark Age of Counterstrike .. im glad we've stopped running a fg now its turned into a joke .. zone rules <= wtf .. one rule = dont add, nice & simple.

Well, glad you enjoy it but what a sterile experience that must be.

Arethir

Fledgling Freddie
Welcome to Dark Age of Counterstrike .. im glad we've stopped running a fg now its turned into a joke .. zone rules <= wtf .. one rule = dont add, nice & simple.

Well, glad you enjoy it but what a sterile experience that must be.

I don't really see why you have such a hard time to understand peoples reason for putting up a FoP... Every fight, some people are deemed to die, get buffstripped, get their pets killed, go ld, resists will fade etc etc. The last ~3 months or so I played in the fg zone, we stopped refering to the FoP as a Font of Power, and started using Font of Immunity instead, simply because that was the whole purpose behind it. We needed to rebuff, get new pets, wait for ld's, do resists and all the other shit people who play fg RvR have to do every once in a while. Having a FoP up made sure we could do this in peace.

If we got jumped while only 4 people in the group had buffs, 2 were ressick and 1 was ld, it would be a shit fight. It wouldn't be any fun whatsoever, not for us, nor for our enemies. It'd simply be a clean wipe. And what's the point in playing the game if it aint any fun? So simply to make sure that the groups are set and ready to go when you engage them, you use this unwritten rule, to get "fair" fights, where people are not in this kind of trouble (ie having an ld), and where they wont be angry/bitter/sore because they just spent 10 minutes rebuffing and taking a boat simply to get run over when they were outnumbered and maybe lacking a very important class if they wanted to stand a chance.

Anyhow, if you cant understand why people prefer that their enemies "treat them as they would like to be treated", then you really dont have anything at all to do in this kind of fg scene. If we had an ld, we'd want people to not attack us before we were up and running and were able to stand a chance vs them. So ofcourse we'd do the same to others.

Now, this is a very long post about something really simple and basic, which you would know very well if you've ever played fg vs fg. That frustration of getting run down without any buffs, with dead people, with ld's or whatever, it sticks. And all I can say is that either it's been to long since it's happened to you, and you've forgotten the feeling, or you simply dont have alot of fg vs fg experience.

Edit: And there's alot of unwritten rules in the fg zone. Just because you don't know about them, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Arethir

Fledgling Freddie
What exactly is a FG zone?
Are these player defined areas or are they actual game designed areas?
A fg zone can be any random zone the the frontier, chosen by the "fg crowd" (usually by IRC), where people who want to have fg vs fg fights go to roam. This can change at any time, several times during the night, due to the zerg fights moving around, and the fg crowd usually try to avoid running into them.
What are these rules people talk about?
Are they defined by players or GM's?
All the "rules" are player defined. Basically it's "treat your enemy as you would like him to treat you". They're an understanding between the fg players, and they are there to make the game more enjoyable in the certain way that the fg crowd enjoys this game the most (read: clean and fair fights at even odds). Rules do vary from server to server ofcourse, as people have some different views on them. (Ie, some people might want to do both fg RvR aswell as zerg RvR, so they play by the "fg rules" when they're in the fg zone, but whenever they're out of that zone, mostly anything can be Kill on Sight - while other places the fg rules can be about the whole game in general, no matter where you are)

Kinetix

Can't get enough of FH
Well you let yourself get killed by Photon, that's the only sucky thing. :clap:

He was probably nuking you from 8 units, that's his usual OP play skillz!

(You know you love it Souly) :sex:

Nah actually i dont mind a eld,a warden and a animist but sucks with 2 rangers assisting with CS on me aswell. Especially since the noobs at Mythic/GOA made game engine think that arrows arnt melee damage but spells :eek6:

Sarumann

Can't get enough of FH
Nah actually i dont mind a eld,a warden and a animist but sucks with 2 rangers assisting with CS on me aswell. Especially since the noobs at Mythic/GOA made game engine think that arrows arnt melee damage but spells :eek6:

Can't double critshot anymore. or isnt that patch in eu yet ?

Xeros

Fledgling Freddie
A fg zone can be any random zone the the frontier, chosen by the "fg crowd" (usually by IRC), where people who want to have fg vs fg fights go to roam. This can change at any time, several times during the night, due to the zerg fights moving around, and the fg crowd usually try to avoid running into them.

All the "rules" are player defined. Basically it's "treat your enemy as you would like him to treat you". They're an understanding between the fg players, and they are there to make the game more enjoyable in the certain way that the fg crowd enjoys this game the most (read: clean and fair fights at even odds). Rules do vary from server to server ofcourse, as people have some different views on them. (Ie, some people might want to do both fg RvR aswell as zerg RvR, so they play by the "fg rules" when they're in the fg zone, but whenever they're out of that zone, mostly anything can be Kill on Sight - while other places the fg rules can be about the whole game in general, no matter where you are)

So how do ppl know they are in an so called fg zone and all those unwritten rules, if they don't use any IRC and are not on FH?
And is this legal? I mean isn't this some kind of organised rvr through no ingame implemented tools? (instead of dueling with 1 vs 1, 8vs8).
And does ppl get flamed because they were in an fg zone without their knowledge and diddn't follow the rules? If yes, I can imagine that lots of ppl will get tired of the game by these rules who are not written down somewhere.

So maybe a thought. Get this fg zones + rules known to GOA and Mythics and depending of server the rules can be set somewhere in their CoC.

Kinetix

Can't get enough of FH

Dont think its on EU yet bud. I know cause im still doint it on my scout after target gets CS by anothe scout. Altho it might have been changed to do a % less damage on second shot and 2x% less on third shot and so on.

Kinetix

Can't get enough of FH
So how do ppl know they are in an so called fg zone and all those unwritten rules, if they don't use any IRC and are not on FH?
And is this legal? I mean isn't this some kind of organised rvr through no ingame implemented tools? (instead of dueling with 1 vs 1, 8vs8).
And does ppl get flamed because they were in an fg zone without their knowledge and diddn't follow the rules? If yes, I can imagine that lots of ppl will get tired of the game by these rules who are not written down somewhere.

So maybe a thought. Get this fg zones + rules known to GOA and Mythics and depending of server the rules can be set somewhere in their CoC.

Nah just let them do theyr 8vs8 fights tbh. As long as they respect others fights or way of playing dosent really matter.
What i find sad is that these ppl that played only for 8vs8 fights left dyvet for the wrong motives or at least some of them.
Personally im still having fun on dyvet... ye its not perfect but as long ppl get theyr kicks playing it...

Kinetix

Can't get enough of FH

Ah almost forgot about arrows being spells... Sorc rr5 wich should "absorb" like 90% of mellee damage dosent work with arrows :p
On next patch mythic might introduce arrows that consume mana instead of end lol

Septina

Part of the furniture

Ever thought of the fact that the people that set the fg zone does so in a zone that has no zergs or adding groups roaming? :x Usually the zergers/adders/whatever stick to one zone because they can cream out the most rps from that zone, quite simple to set up a zone where the fg'ers can go then without getting disturbed by the 'For Arthur' players. :)

Xeros

Fledgling Freddie
Ever thought of the fact that the people that set the fg zone does so in a zone that has no zergs or adding groups roaming? :x Usually the zergers/adders/whatever stick to one zone because they can cream out the most rps from that zone, quite simple to set up a zone where the fg'ers can go then without getting disturbed by the 'For Arthur' players. :)

Septina, I can understand that fully.

But one of the fg zones that I see regulary returning is Agramon.

Some groups use Agramon however to walk through to get to the enemy realm of choice, because they are fed up being farmed at the drop-off points when there is no iRvR.

Ppl who don't use IRC or read FH, can't possible know that Agramon is at that point/time a FG zone or not.

So mix-ups can easily be done with the expected flamming as result towards the ignorant group who dared to come into the FG zone without even them knowing.

That's why it would be interesting if these were addressed also to GOA or Mythics, so that the zones are properly organised and ppl can read about them. It's already unofficially organised, why not make it official?

Eleasias

Can't get enough of FH

Some groups use Agramon however to walk through to get to the enemy realm of choice, because they are fed up being farmed at the drop-off points when there is no iRvR.

Ppl who don't use IRC or read FH, can't possible know that Agramon is at that point/time a FG zone or not.

So mix-ups can easily be done with the expected flamming as result towards the ignorant group who dared to come into the FG zone without even them knowing.

That's why it would be interesting if these were addressed also to GOA or Mythics, so that the zones are properly organised and ppl can read about them. It's already unofficially organised, why not make it official?

There's no accidental flaming really anymore, people used to exaggarate that flaming a lot in the first place and we don't use Agramon as fg zone unless there are only like 2-4 groups signed up total and going to Breif/Pennine would mean you get 1 fight per 30 mins or something. Adds in Agramon are always expected from the players who are not part of the fg crowd/on irc etc.

Jupiter

Fledgling Freddie
Most memorable fights i've had are the ones where you have just finished one fg fight to be immediately attacked and u end up winning.... bloody mad and they really test you..........................

Kinetix

Can't get enough of FH
Most memorable fights i've had are the ones where you have just finished one fg fight to be immediately attacked and u end up winning.... bloody mad and they really test you..........................

This is a memorable moment....i agree with Jupiter! lol

Arethir

Fledgling Freddie

Ye, I agree, that's alot of fun when that happens! But, the 568 times when you get creamed.... aint. :X

Arethir

Fledgling Freddie

On dyvet we used agramon alot, because the server simply has to few people to roam there. The zerg areas need to evolve around keeps and instaports to get the best action, so that's where they will move. Limors/Temair on the other hand is a different story, where people use agramon a whole lot for zerg action. Think it was vf that put a clash with one of these into some movie somewhere? :)

What Eleasias said, you don't expect people to know about it, and if some random group come along and add on you, you simply team up on them and kill them, problem solved. If a zerg comes along, RUN FOR THE HILLS (or do what vf did, and take up the fight :p).

You can't make it official, because it's not totally "legal" (afaik) (hence they always split up duel-circles etc when they find them). Though this is just a bunch of groups roaming in the same zone, looking for fights, which is not illegal, it is a little on the edge with the whole "walk past any fight - red does not mean dead" kind of thing. But since it is for your own benefit you're doing it, it's not seen as crossrealming, and you're not ruining any other players game. And in addition the groups are not standing in line for the fights, like they do in duel-circles. Still a little edgy, so I doubt they'd ever make it official. (But hey, all I've ever talked to this about has been Requiel, so what do I know... Maybe they have different views on this on other servers or something.)

[LA]Douglas

One of Freddy's beloved

when we logged eld druid and banshee dont think there was any rangers around and when we was on ranger didnt get crit shot off most they time cos u was laging around that much lol ur lag ghost was runing across the water and evey thing

Septina

Part of the furniture

Not like it's a big hassle to get on irc if you are interested in running in the fg zone? :p
People that organize these type of channels usually advertise their channels on irc in guildchannels, official game channels and on forums to get people aware of the channel, that's what i did when i made the 'fg zone channel' for Dyvet Agramon and it worked very well.
At it's peak we had over 100 people in the channel signing up their groups, running in the zone, following the rules. Around this time in my opinion, Dyvets rvr was at it's peak with many many groups running in the zone, respecting eachothers fights. :)
I in no way expect not to be attacked in the fg zone by people not interested in such things, it happens and it happens alot aswell, but i honestly say i dont mind it happening if it's the albzerg running through agramon or if it's this or that group just passing by. The point is, the FG GROUPS that come to the zone agree to follow the unwritten rules of the zone to give better and funnier fights for everyone, quite simple if you ask me. :)

Dard

Part of the furniture
I don't really see why you have such a hard time to understand peoples reason for putting up a FoP... Every fight, some people are deemed to die, get buffstripped, get their pets killed, go ld, resists will fade etc etc. The last ~3 months or so I played in the fg zone, we stopped refering to the FoP as a Font of Power, and started using Font of Immunity instead, simply because that was the whole purpose behind it. We needed to rebuff, get new pets, wait for ld's, do resists and all the other shit people who play fg RvR have to do every once in a while. Having a FoP up made sure we could do this in peace.

If we got jumped while only 4 people in the group had buffs, 2 were ressick and 1 was ld, it would be a shit fight. It wouldn't be any fun whatsoever, not for us, nor for our enemies. It'd simply be a clean wipe. And what's the point in playing the game if it aint any fun? So simply to make sure that the groups are set and ready to go when you engage them, you use this unwritten rule, to get "fair" fights, where people are not in this kind of trouble (ie having an ld), and where they wont be angry/bitter/sore because they just spent 10 minutes rebuffing and taking a boat simply to get run over when they were outnumbered and maybe lacking a very important class if they wanted to stand a chance.

Anyhow, if you cant understand why people prefer that their enemies "treat them as they would like to be treated", then you really dont have anything at all to do in this kind of fg scene. If we had an ld, we'd want people to not attack us before we were up and running and were able to stand a chance vs them. So ofcourse we'd do the same to others.

Now, this is a very long post about something really simple and basic, which you would know very well if you've ever played fg vs fg. That frustration of getting run down without any buffs, with dead people, with ld's or whatever, it sticks. And all I can say is that either it's been to long since it's happened to you, and you've forgotten the feeling, or you simply dont have alot of fg vs fg experience.

Edit: And there's alot of unwritten rules in the fg zone. Just because you don't know about them, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Everything you typed there just screams to me .. counterstrike, BF2, Instanced RvR, it has nothing to do with how fluid & exciting DAoC rvr can be. So what if you had buffs missing, so what if resists where down, so what if you had an ld, yes i agree it can be a pita but at the end of the day who cares (yeah the people who lost, i know) but ive been in grp's that have one 2 or 3 fights on the bounce, ive been in groups that have been jumped while the MA is ld (won fights & lost) been in fights where all the grp is res sick, so what if you lose & spend 10 mins rebuffing, porting & boating at least you get a break for a piss.

Oh & ive had my 6 years of DAoC, 4 years+ of running in a FG 2, 3 or 4 nights a week so im not some twat who just started playing & zergs everthing in sight & as i said in a previous post, rules unwritten or otherwise, you can keep em, as imo only one rule counts, dont add.

PS. thanks for the font of immunity, still chuckling about that now.

Kaomond

Fledgling Freddie
So it's all player designed and controled via irc, ok well i have never used irc and have no intention of using irc so i will never know where they are to avoid them.

If i am in an RvR zone i expect to attack an enemy and i expect to be attacked back, i roam, i don't limit myself to one place around keeps etc, i go looking for things to kill.

I respect that some people want to even up the fights and understand this, but an RvR zone is an RvR zone, i will keep my eye open and if it seems obvious groups i come across are fg groups then i will try to avoid them.

But i canot garantee anything as it's dificult to tell the diference, all i see is a red name and attack.

Maybe if this is something that people organise enough then they should make an instanced battleground for 8v8v8 battles, a bit like on WoW where your group activates the battleground and when an enemy group also activates they get put in together and the next two groups go into their own instance etc.

Arethir

Fledgling Freddie
it has nothing to do with how fluid & exciting DAoC rvr can be
Eh, well, I think alot of people find this way of RvR'ing VERY exciting. Why would they else be doing it?
at the end of the day who cares
The people who made the rules...? That's the whole reason behind making them...? As I said earlier. The "fg crowd" does not like to be ressick, having ld's, being unbuffed or whatever when they engage in a fight. It removes the whole reason for them to do it. They want to test their skills vs enemy players, and they wont get to do that if one of the parts are not suiting a full team.
so what if you lose & spend 10 mins rebuffing, porting & boating at least you get a break for a piss.
Or... When it happens for the 3rd/4th time, you get pissed, and log, because you're not playing this game to get rolled over, but to have a competative fg fight. And let me promise you, it's pretty booring and shit to keep going over that same rebuffing and boating and never getting any of the stuff you actually logged on to do. We experienced it a whole lot at the lower rr's, and it can be a tough job to motivate yourself for another go, and another, and another.
Oh & ive had my 6 years of DAoC, 4 years+ of running in a FG 2, 3 or 4 nights a week so im not some twat who just started playing & zergs everthing in sight
Never said you were any of the above things. But judging from your statements, you have no clue how frustrating getting rolled over and over, and spending your whole night rebuffing and boating can be. Either that, or you've forgotten. But hey, if you don't get upset by these things, then great for you, but I doubt you could field a fg with such players. I've yet to meet any who don't find it booring to have a night of getting steamrolled and never getting the chance to put up a proper fight, maybe due to constant lags, ld's, lack of certain classes etc etc. People rarely last for long.
rules unwritten or otherwise, you can keep em, as imo only one rule counts, dont add.
Yes. In YOUR opinion.
PS. thanks for the font of immunity, still chuckling about that now.
Hehe, np ;)

If i am in an RvR zone i expect to attack an enemy and i expect to be attacked back, i roam, i don't limit myself to one place around keeps etc, i go looking for things to kill.

Maybe if this is something that people organise enough then they should make an instanced battleground for 8v8v8 battles, a bit like on WoW where your group activates the battleground and when an enemy group also activates they get put in together and the next two groups go into their own instance etc.

By all means, go roam where you want, and kill what you want, but if you jump one of these fg vs fg fights, don't be surprised if they all stop fighting eachother and start hunting you down instead. You sound like you have good intentions etc though so I really don't see it becoming a problem :)

And I don't think people would want the WoW kind of thing. It'd remove the fun out of roaming, getting jumped, getting the jump etc. Alot of the excitement would disappear :) Choosing the battleground is also very important in the fg scene! Wouldn't want to get some kind of crappy place where you can't play on a ground you're comfortable with. (like odins! people would go blind before they even found a group!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom