Kicking off in Turkey - possible Military coup

Wij

I am a FH squatter
WTF?!? Going to look for further info... :/

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Ah a military coup in Turkey. Just what we need!

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
oh dear, that could makes things in the Middle East even more of a clusterfuck

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
As in really a military coup...this could be so good or so bad.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I'm sitting here and thinking it is just stunning what has happened recently.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
And Farage kicked the lot off.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Turkey army group announces takeover on TV - BBC News

"An army group in Turkey says it has taken over the country, with soldiers at strategic points in Istanbul and jets flying low in the capital, Ankara.

A statement read on TV said a "peace council" now ran the country and there was a curfew and martial law. There would also be new constitution."

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Actually, this is pretty handy. Give it a week and the arse will have well and truly fallen out of the Euro.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
"President Erdogan calls on everyone to take to streets. "Let them come with their tanks."

Suddenly he's a big fan of demonstrations.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I will say it again. Suddenly my food and supplies stash (currently around 2 months worth of food, a weeks worth of water) isn't looking so crazy after all!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Oddly enough, coups in Turkey aren't necessarily a bad thing; the army has always been the protector of the secular state and a curb on Islam. Here's hoping they've had enough of Erdogan for that reason.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Oddly enough, coups in Turkey aren't necessarily a bad thing; the army has always been the protector of the secular state and a curb on Islam. Here's hoping they've had enough of Erdogan for that reason.
On the flip side, the Kurds are building a country on their border, and are attacking Turkey regularly within their own borders, Erdogan has said that he will not tolerate a Kurdish state on his borders, but has done nothing about it.

I just hope the military coup isn't an excuse to push into the Kurdish territory.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
People are now being reportedly shot in the streets.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.

I came here to post the same thing. There have been mumblings of the Army not been happy with Erdogan for a long time.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Ruthless leader keeping a lid on a bunch of nutbars.

Hmmm, where have I seen this before?

Oh but its OK, prime candidate for EU membership.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
To be fair Turkey was never really on the cards for EU membership, it would have taken 20+ years for them to join.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter

I was thinking this as well, and of course there will be people propagating on twitter/other media that this is something that's just about to blow over, but hopefully they will remove Erdogan for good.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I think you will find that causing civil war on the borders is par for the course for the EU now. Divide and conquer. An age old strategy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom