Is this what society has come to?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
?? Where's that come from that story?
Apparently anything to do with Harry Potter == JK Rowling == hating trans people?

Dont much get it either looks like an interesting game, family is keen on Potter so will probably buy in a sale, never preorder though

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Another twitterstorm over nothing. Not hurting sales is it :)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Sports next.

What? George bloody Ezra is going to be nominated for Sports Personality of the Year? :)

Seriously though, this could be seen coming from a mile away.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

It's not true? "Entirely Male"?

Even in the title of the article it says "Wet Leg are leading..."

Are these men? @Bodhi/@Wij

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd9jeJk2UHQ

Seems to me that twitter rots the brain.

And it also seems to me that you shouldn't have a 50/50 gender split in a competition - you should have the best acts, whatever sex or gender they happen to be.

Wij

I am a FH squatter

Artist of the year​

Central Cee
Fred Again
George Ezra
Harry Styles
Stormzy

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh. Another twatter storm in a fucking teacup non-story then.

I'm guessing that Cental Cee is a bloke then.

Who cares?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
But it is true. You just don't mind it being true.
Yep. After digging into twatter and the article (the front page on the tweet showing Wet Leg as a "leading artist") - then I find that it's an all-male "artist of the year" shortlist - amongst a pile of different nominations that are, shock, 33% female.

So the question to you is - is an all-male shortlist a problem? - if that's what people nominated because they liked them? i.e. on merit.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The female artists who can no longer win an award I would suggest....
They can't no longer win an award. That's bullshit. It turns out, according to the ONE THOUSAND voting members of the Brits that the female artists just weren't up to fucking scratch for "artist of the year".

The winners and nominees are determined by the Brit Awards voting academy with over 1,000 members, which comprise record labels, publishers, managers, agents, media, and previous winners and nominees.

Free vote. One thousand Brit members. Five guys came tops. Tough titties women - do better next time.

(In, of course, your arbitrary bullshit awards show.)

So remind me, you two - why is this all tran's people's fault again? If anything it's more of a meritocracy - the award will mean more if a man/woman/trans/panda wins it because they'll be winning it on the strength of their artistry, not their sex/gender/political affiliation/ability to whine the loudest.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
They can't no longer win an award. That's bullshit. It turns out, according to the ONE THOUSAND voting members of the Brits that the female artists just weren't up to fucking scratch for "artist of the year".

Free vote. One thousand Brit members. Five guys came tops. Tough titties women - do better next time.

(In, of course, your arbitrary bullshit awards show.)

So remind me, you two - why is this all tran's people's fault again? If anything it's more of a meritocracy - the award will mean more if a man/woman/trans/panda wins it because they'll be winning it on the strength of their artistry, not their sex/gender/political affiliation/ability to whine the loudest.

Well I'm sure women will be able to better, just as soon as your sort lets them out of the kitchen.

Not sure of the link between Gender Neutral awards and the Trans lobby however - that is a tricky one to figure out in all honesty. I mean making awards Gender Neutral, how could that be for the Transgender lobby?

No clue - you've got me there!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well I'm sure women will be able to better, just as soon as your sort lets them out of the kitchen.
I really like Wet Leg, so I don't know where this shit comes from.

Not sure of the link between Gender Neutral awards and the Trans lobby however - that is a tricky one to figure out in all honesty. I mean making awards Gender Neutral, how could that be for the Transgender lobby?
Why call them "Gender Neutral" - call them what the title of the award is: Artist of the Year

Women, men, penguins are all up for that award. What this non-event argument is about is that the 1000-strong Brit nomination committee decided that there were no female acts good enough this year to be nominated in the final five. (And they weren't thinking about females - they were thinking "who's the best")

That's not just fair - that's exceptionally fair. Because artistry in music isn't based on gender, sex, physical attributes etc - like sports - it's based on how good the fucking music is.

Turns out - five male artists were appreciated over all others by the Brit nominators.

It's no more complicated than that. People who have a problem with an actual real colourblind meritocracy are cunts.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Yep. After digging into twatter and the article (the front page on the tweet showing Wet Leg as a "leading artist") - then I find that it's an all-male "artist of the year" shortlist - amongst a pile of different nominations that are, shock, 33% female.

So the question to you is - is an all-male shortlist a problem? - if that's what people nominated because they liked them? i.e. on merit.

The fallacy here is a snotty faced individual will retort "So you're saying women don't have merit or worth?"

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I really like Wet Leg, so I don't know where this shit comes from.

Why call them "Gender Neutral" - call them what the title of the award is: Artist of the Year

Women, men, penguins are all up for that award. What this non-event argument is about is that the 1000-strong Brit nomination committee decided that there were no female acts good enough this year to be nominated in the final five. (And they weren't thinking about females - they were thinking "who's the best")

That's not just fair - that's exceptionally fair. Because artistry in music isn't based on gender, sex, physical attributes etc - like sports - it's based on how good the fucking music is.

Turns out - five male artists were appreciated over all others by the Brit nominators.

It's no more complicated than that. People who have a problem with an actual real colourblind meritocracy are cunts.
This only works if you think that sexism amongst the voters has been eliminated. And we all know that it no longer exists.

Otherwise everyone was perfectly happy with having male and female awards for years. It wasn’t a problem.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's a pretty shitty argument @Wij - you went "sport next" - even though you know that we segregated female and male sports because of physicality.

Anything to help hate the trans with tho eh?

It's weak. Frankly, the idea of an "awards ceremony" for music is just as much as bullshit as the oscars - its a promotional event nothing more. Music isn't a sport and shouldn't be competitive. But if we're going to make a sport of it, and make it competitive - then musicians are on a level playing field. And rightly so.

Best Artist - absolutely fine. Women and men and whatever in a truly flat competition. As it absolutely should be in a music-off.

If you still claim sexism - the place to fix that is in the voters - have a specific number of race/sex/gender/whatever voters - so that balances out.

But let the musicians fight it out on music alone.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
It's a pretty shitty argument @Wij - you went "sport next" - even though you know that we segregated female and male sports because of physicality.

Anything to help hate the trans with tho eh?

It's weak. Frankly, the idea of an "awards ceremony" for music is just as much as bullshit as the oscars - its a promotional event nothing more. Music isn't a sport and shouldn't be competitive. But if we're going to make a sport of it, and make it competitive - then musicians are on a level playing field. And rightly so.

Best Artist - absolutely fine. Women and men and whatever in a truly flat competition. As it absolutely should be in a music-off.

If you still claim sexism - the place to fix that is in the voters - have a specific number of race/sex/gender/whatever voters - so that balances out.

But let the musicians fight it out on music alone.
You won't fix sexism easily, don't pretend you can, but everyone was happy with the workaround where here were separate men's and women's categories.

That solution made many people happy and the few exception cases we can work around somehow. Figure something out yes? Or do we throw the bathwater out for edge cases now?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You won't fix sexism easily, don't pretend you can, but everyone was happy with the workaround where here were separate men's and women's categories.

That solution made many people happy and the few exception cases we can work around somehow. Figure something out yes? Or do we throw the bathwater out for edge cases now?
They've fixed the Oscars voter demographics to rule out sexism and racism - to expressly be more inclusive. You've heard of the oscars, right?

This shower of bullshit can fix it's own voter demographics. Music is naturally person-agnostic. It's fairer to lump "musicians" together because we're hearing their product.

Unless you're saying female musicians are shit and their music can't cut the mustard compared to mens. If that's the case we can reinstate a disability trophy, sure.

If not - then this is 100% the fairest and most inclusive bullshit promotional jambouree there is.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
They've fixed the Oscars voter demographics to rule out sexism and racism - to expressly be more inclusive. You've heard of the oscars, right?

This shower of bullshit can fix it's own voter demographics. Music is naturally person-agnostic. It's fairer to lump "musicians" together because we're hearing their product.

Unless you're saying female musicians are shit and their music can't cut the mustard compared to mens. If that's the case we can reinstate a disability trophy, sure.

If not - then this is 100% the fairest and most inclusive bullshit promotional jambouree there is.
Literally no one had a problem with this until some people decided (against all facts) that they didn't want anyone to mention what their sex was and now everything has to change just to accommodate a few outliers. Don't you normally argue against this sort of thing?

Also, your arguments are basically against the whole idea of having sex-based categories for awards, not that accommodating non-binaries is a good thing. If that's the reason then why now? They've had sex categories in awards since forever but now they were always a stupid idea?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
It's mental tbh... we're almost at a point where even thinking of a gender is going to become illegal. I wouldn't be surprised in the next 50-100 years if referring to other people anything other than "person/people" will be illegal. We should get ahead of the trend and start the Church of Toaster 2000 Apache Attack Helicopter 'gender'

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Literally no one had a problem with this until some people decided (against all facts) that they didn't want anyone to mention what their sex was
Again. No point in discussing any of this with you until you recognise trans is both real and is part of niche but normal human behaviour - all around the globe and throughout history.

If you can't accept reality, then there's no solid basis for any discussion.

Also, your arguments are basically against the whole idea of having sex-based categories for awards, not that accommodating non-binaries is a good thing. If that's the reason then why now? They've had sex categories in awards since forever but now they were always a stupid idea?
Where did I say not accomodating non-binary isn't part of my argument? That's assumed, of course.

Accomodating binaries is what the Brit Awards decided was a Good Thing(TM). And I agree - because music is music, and race, sex, gender, whatever is irrelevant. Completely and utterly irrelevant.

This is called progress, Wij.

I very much disliked the MOBO awards for the above reasons. It's an inherently racist awards ceremony IMO. I know why it's done, and the arguments for and against, and I'm against it - the Brits are good enough and lets hope Stormzy storms 'em.

I think, ultimately, that awards ceremonies are anti-music. The industrialisation of music hasn't done the world many favours - music was something you'd hear down your local pub in times gone by - and you'd likely be actually involved in it - singing songs if not playing instruments. It wasn't that long ago that that was the norm, not the exception.

But if we're going to have awards ceremonies and phony competition that really only exists to drive sales then lets do them right. Lets compete on music alone.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Sam Smith isn’t even trans. He just doesn’t like being called a man when he’s a man. It’s asking the world build itself around your hang ups.

Pop music has been used to people people blurring the gender boundaries. David Bowie didn’t insist on the world changing its language though. Ziggy may have been neither sex but Bowie knew that his blurring of the gender boundaries was messing with our stereotypes, not an actual thing we need to change the world for. He changed the world with his art, not by sulking that we needed to change the meaning of words to accommodate how special he is.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Again. No point in discussing any of this with you until you recognise trans is both real and is part of niche but normal human behaviour - all around the globe and throughout history.

If you can't accept reality, then there's no solid basis for any discussion.
Also, this is just bullshit.

People have been gender non-comforming since forever. That's great. Rejecting the current stereotypes of what each sex should look and act like is great. More girls with shaved heads and maths degrees is great. That doesn't make them men for fuck's sake.

It's literally in the training material for Stonewall, Mermaids etc. Charts with pink and Barbie at one end and blue and Action Man at the other. 50s stereotypes being used to define whether you are a man or a woman. Not only is it scientifically nonsense, it's sexist.

Gender non-comformance is real. No one ever argued it wasn't. It's a good thing. It doesn't mean men can be little girls or Sam Smith doesn't have a sex.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
1950s: Women should wash the dishes.
2nd wave feminists: Either sex should do the dishes, not just women.
Intersectionalists: Anyone can do the dishes which shows they are a woman.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Whatevs. Even if I'm horribly wrong on that - competing on music alone is still better than separate categories IMO.

Music ain't sport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom