Is this what society has come to?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Nature eh.

As soon as I saw 'outdated', I stopped reading.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Rather than an article 'reconstructed from a twitter thread', how about an article from the rather more respectable Nature?
That article is a load of bollocks. Take gender out for a start. It’s nothing to do with whether sex is a spectrum or not. Irrelevant.

Secondly nothing in is pleading proves there are more than two sexes. It is talking about differences in secondary sexual characteristics. As Lewis stated these vary enormously but people aren’ta bit of both sexes. Testes never produce eggs and ovaries never produce sperm. Like all mammals there are two sexes.

Sex determination isn’t all about looking at the genitals as the article seems to imply.

I bet a few actual scientists spat out their cornflakes when they read that :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Political philosopher, not scientist. I.E. Opinion piece.

At least Nature is a well-respected scientific journal.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Political philosopher, not scientist. I.E. Opinion piece.

At least Nature is a well-respected scientific journal.
What are you talking about? The science didn’t come into that piece. It was about gender, not sex.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Are you trying to say that science has nothing useful to say about gender?

The article I posted from the respected scientific journal - Nature - disagrees with that view.

Wanting to base this discussion on science is my justification for discounting the "woo" that you posted - which I didn't bother to read fully because it starts with this:

Rebecca Reilly-Cooper is a political philosopher at the University of Warwick in the UK. She is interested in political liberalism, democratic theory, moral psychology, and the philosophy of emotion
A double-barelled woo-monger.

Science has plenty to say about gender - and as it's the *only* tool we have that helps us understand how things actually are then I'm only interested in what actual science has to say on the subject, rather than opinion pieces from "philiosophers of emotion".

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just to reiterate - this is the consensus amongst the science community:

The research and medical community now sees sex as more complex than male and female, and gender as a spectrum that includes transgender people and those who identify as neither male nor female. The US administration’s proposal would ignore that expert consensus.

An evidence-based position in direct opposition to professor woo...

Job

What an amazing coincidence that the exact time Transgender and intersex people are trending that the medical scientific 'community' has suddenly decided that the facts back them up by being more 'complex'.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
What an amazing coincidence that the exact time Transgender and intersex people are trending that the medical scientific 'community' has suddenly decided that the facts back them up by being more 'complex'.
Buh?

What makes you think there is anything in common between transgender and intersex people?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I wouldn't have posted it if there wasn't.
Considering the title title is "Gender is NOT a spectrum" when science says it IS - then the only reason I can think of is that it fits with your views.

I'll humour you later and read it - but considering the fact that her basic assertion is wrong I'm struggling to see how I'm going to think anything other than "you're fundamentally cock-eyed on this so no matter how logical whatever argument you make seems, you've straight-up admitted you've built your entire house on sand"...

Job

This shit has been sorted for 10s of thousands of years.

It just comes around again on the back of political and social change.
All the great civilisations had a place for people who didnt fit in clear distinctions and it varied from reverence to being set on fire.

People are comfortable with stability and we build our social interactions..safety and world view around it, for the 'community' to be increasingly represented by entrenched extremists is not helping anyone.
The science is being extracted to be used as much as an academic dinner party battle as it is to prove nothing can be labelled, I'm waiting for quantum uncertainty to be brought up.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Considering the title title is "Gender is NOT a spectrum" when science says it IS - then the only reason I can think of is that it fits with your views.

I'll humour you later and read it - but considering the fact that her basic assertion is wrong I'm struggling to see how I'm going to think anything other than "you're fundamentally cock-eyed on this so no matter how logical whatever argument you make seems, you've straight-up admitted you've built your entire house on sand"...

"when science says it IS" - which particular branch of science? Psychology? Yeah, we now how nailed down, confirmed and repeatable that corner of the medical world is.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
What was that for then? As the discussion was about gender spectrum.
I don't see any science behind that apart from psychology.
The point of that was that sex is not a fuzzy issue. The essay I posted the other day was about gender.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
What was that for then? As the discussion was about gender spectrum.
I don't see any science behind that apart from psychology.

I think the point is there is a great deal of actual science about what “sex” means, and a lot of opinion that definitely isn’t science, about “gender”.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
"when science says it IS" - which particular branch of science? Psychology? Yeah, we now how nailed down, confirmed and repeatable that corner of the medical world is.

Much more nailed down, repeatable than Gender Studies at a guess.

Plus Psychology has the benefit of not mostly being based on a couple of professors just making shit up for the fun of it.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Plus Psychology has the benefit of not mostly being based on a couple of professors just making shit up for the fun of it.
Not in my time doing Psychology at Uni. That's why I dropped the fucker. Apart from Neuroscience most of Psychology was just made up with no science behind it. I kept asking them what proved what they were teaching us and they couldn't answer.

Job

Relevation...freudian slip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom