Is the minstrel an overpowered class

C

Coren

Don't get me wrong, I didn't say minstrels are overpowered. :) Like Solid said: we're a balanced class.

Yes I can kill thanes if everything goes alright (I jump them, not the other way around, my mez sticks, my DD's dont get resisted, my stun sticks, he isn't buffed like hell etc etc), but it's not even near easy. The fights I had with tanks were usually the closest one you can imagine and I lost some aswell (when they jump me, I mez and run, when I jump them, things might go wrong and I have no stun/mez left to escape with and I simply die).

I was just pointing out that all minstrels and Solid saying minstrels can't kill tanks are wrong. ;)

p.s.: it's minstrels, not ministrels. ;)

S

Solid

Coren

I was just reiterating what Giona used to say to me, and she did just that more often than not. She said she usually only gets the jump on bad tanks and they doont really know what to do.

And for everyones info TPT will be respeccing to Slam soon as I get respec :D

P

Perplexed

Originally posted by Meatballs

onto my skald whinge:

in RvR I reckon the instacast mez needs a recast of more like 5 minutes (like they did to the clerics), they need to be able to set these things to change from PvE and RvR to keep the PvE balanced if they did.

Range on the instacast snare should be closer to 1000 than 1500. It's hard enough to escape a skald with their runspeed (which they dont need to swop weapons to instruments for like like our poor minstrels do - give us more quickbar slots!) without any chance being snatched away buy an insta with a stupidly long range.

Otherwise both classes are great.

Then make the timer on your instastun 5mins too. It's also pretty hard to escape a minstrel who mezzes you from stealth... Oh and clerics had insta PBAOE mez... somewhat more powerful.

Coren:
A thane who specced 2h fully will have 50 hammer. A thane who went for slam will probably have 44 hammer, well over 50 with items. Both do near identical damage using 2h. If u attack a thane who has slam and knows what he's doing u prolly wont win :)

O

old.¥ØÐÄ

imo minstral NOT overpowered at all .

it takes imo a skillful player to play a mins to its full potential . these r the folks peep tend to get killed by most hence imo there is a BIG difference to being killed by a overpowered class by a non skillfull player and a well balanced class played by somebody with skill .
the minstral hotbar is stupidly silly the amount of swapping and changing to be done ,

mins got low hp . crappy stealth . crappy melee .

u cant compare them to other realms classes cos as somebody above stated they are hybrids of 2-3 different classes . sameas some others with insta dd's and mez n speed .

im quiet sure the only reason peeps dont like minstrals are because of stealth . if mins didnt have stealth NOBODY would complain . but mins need stealth cos of there sucky hp n melee dmge .

i dunno if the above made sense to you :0 but thats my opinion anyway , to many nerfs flying around atm so no doubt in time with all the whingers complaining about mninstrals they aint to far from being nerfed for no reason .

O

old.LandShark

You can use charged items while stunned. It's probably a bit lame, but I don't really have any compunctions about burning a 260hp instaheal BP orb when i've been slammed. I learned you could use charges while stunned when some £!%ing runemaster killed me with his blue diamond staff DD (think that was the item's name..) while i was OOP and trying to run away. Ahem.
Thanes just do not kill you quickly enough in the slam stun duration.
Minstrel vs pure tank = tank wins or minstrel runs away
Minstrel vs thane = minstrel wins usually, though it can be close depending on how much melee dmg the minstrel does. I *do* lose to lvl50 thanes (i'm 47atm) but usually not by very much.
Minstrel vs skald = interesting one, this. If minstrel gets no DD's, stun or mezz resisted, this can go nastily for the skald. However; it's unlikely in the extreme that a minstrel (esp. slash mins like me) can kill a skald before stun wears off; at this stage skald can instasnare/mezz you and leg it, if he so chooses. Lvl50 Skald should never DIE to lvl50 minstrel 1v1, since unless OOP or something you can always CC us and run.
edit: the above apply to when a minstrel gets the jump on a soloing guy from stealth.

R

Roo Stercogburn

Mr. Spirit Master, is it ok if I just mez you somewhat so I can bash you a little?

Certainly Mr Minstrel, please, continue. I especially equipped cloth to make the job easier for you.

Appreciated Mr. Spirit Master. Oh dear, my dd and bashing seems to have broken that mez.

No problem Mr. Minstrel, I'll just return the favour. Allow me to quickcast my pbae mez?

Certainly Mr. Spirit Master, apologies for dribbling a little while standing here and watching you healing yourself off that nearby mob.

Hardly noticable Mr. Minstrel, and I won't tell on you. Apologies to you also for making you wait for my quickcast timer to reset before resuming.

I could sing a little song for you...

No thankyou... ah, ready. I'll just stand say, about, 1500 away and get to work shall I?

Must you Mr Spirit Master?

Indeed Mr. Minstrel. 3 lifetaps should do it. This is Junior by the way. The nice blue cloudy effect is his cold blast and the pretty stars are him stunning you. Lovely aren't they Mr. Minstrel?

Er, marvelous.

Was nice chatting Mr. Minstrel, we must do this again sometime. /bow

-----------

... of course often it goes horribly wrong and the chap in the bowler hat wins. But hey, its always fun because even though minstrels and other stealthers are supposed killers of us cloth wearing feeblies, its never certain.

From what I've seen, I don't don't think minstrels are overpowered. They fulfill a role like all the character types and come the pitched battles Minstrel and Spirit Master effectiveness is reversed. They get a higher profile because they are often the ones camping the xp spots or picking targets of opportunity roaming around the frontier. Everyone forgets who killed them in a pitched battle, but one on one or when smeared while xp'ing you remember.

POSSIBLY some tweaking, but I don't know enough about that to comment. The imaginary dialog is based on Roo vs various stealthers that come out to play, some of which have been bongo bashers.

I

ImLestat

Originally posted by Verena

I will not ackowledge that we are overpowered and I assume that's also not what Coren ment. Just cause he has killed his share of thanes doesn't mean we will never loose to a thane.

You're talking to the server no1 minstrel who is supposedly on the hate list of 50% of the other realms population. That only tells me 1 thing, that is that Coren must be a very skilled player and that he's a top minstrel.

Does this make us overpowered? IMO not and that's what this thread is all about!

Lol !! You really seem to find every possible way to misread everything I say. I NEVER EVER SAID that Coren acknowledged that minstrels are overpowered. Coren acknowledged that minstrels are able to solo tanks, that is what I was giving him credit for, and nothing else. Now, may I please be excused from this damned thread, or must you necesserily find something else I say to misread? Perhaps misread my corrections some?

Hrrrrmph.....

M

Meatballs

Originally posted by Perplexed

Then make the timer on your instastun 5mins too. It's also pretty hard to escape a minstrel who mezzes you from stealth... Oh and clerics had insta PBAOE mez... somewhat more powerful.

ITS NOT AN INSTAMEZ! jeez read my post allwight?

and pbaoe maybe great defensively, but a cleric needs that to be able to heal team mates, or cast any spells because they cant quickcast them.

O

old.Zepra

Originally posted by Solid
Minstrels hit like girls FYI
:rolleyes: :D :m00:

Originally posted by Solid
Coren
I was just reiterating what Giona used to say to me, and she did just that more often than not. She said she usually only gets the jump on bad tanks and they doont really know what to do.
Just a note on all this minstrel vs tank thing :)
Back then midgard had all the relic's, I didn't play too much after we had retook some of them for the first time but I can remember that it was now alot easier to take on tanks in general.

T

Trahg

Originally posted by Meatballs

ITS NOT AN INSTAMEZ! jeez read my post allwight?

and pbaoe maybe great defensively, but a cleric needs that to be able to heal team mates, or cast any spells because they cant quickcast them.
Maybe he meant Mezz from stealth with CT (it's still a surprise you know... :p)
I don't know if he meant it that way but he certainly didn't SAY insta-mezz :p
Jeez read his post allwight? ;)
:m00:

*longs for 1.51 when i should be able to escape skalds and minstrels too* ;p

K

klavrynd

NERF Zerkers they hit me too hard :p

right, zerkers hit hard on leather and studded (for albion), and who wears that ?

infils wear leather - miss pa or other stun thingie and he doesnt run off, dead infil otherwise , well you know what happens if you get a pa+cd in

scouts wear studded , and they should be able to shoot thru my wet paper bag before i'm even there

we hit for crap on chain and plate and we'll hit for even less soon

ps : i did notice the smiley

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom