Iraq Civil War?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Right, so the Kurds have always been an 'issue' in Iraq, but I read a couple of years ago them being described as freedom fighters and such, but now they're fighting a US/NATO/EU supported Government they're not being labelled as terrorists?

Or am I reading the article wrong?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-27809051

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I wish they would all get together and pick a sky fairy to waste time on and be done with it. All this my god is better than your god bollocks is depressing.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
sunni and shiite have spent decades killing the kurds, saddam tested his chemical weapons on them

they really dont want the extremists getting in so fair play to them.
they arent fighting the government.. the jihadis turned up , the army ran off, the kurds are holding the ground.. i think

Gwadien

In the PoV of the masses though, are the Islamists a lesser of two evils (the Kurds being the other) or visa versa?

I suppose we don't actually know, I mean, I suppose they weren't too bothered about their mistreatment under Saddams regime, so that status quo may remain.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
I think the big worry is how fast the army has broken and run. God knows who the Iraqi PM thinks he's fooling saying they are regrouping and prepared to fight.

Gwadien

I think the big worry is how fast the army has broken and run. God knows who the Iraqi PM thinks he's fooling saying they are regrouping and prepared to fight.
I don't know - how long have they been fighting? - I think our media has been told not to report anything until there's a outcome to it - I hadn't heard much until they 'took over'

The last think the West wants is to admit they failed.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The last think the West wants is to admit they failed.

If by "The West" you mean George Bush and Tony Blair, you're right, because everyone else in "The West" with more than two brain cells predicted this the day the first US tanks headed up the Basra Road.

Mabs

yea , it was blatantly obvious.

west goes in, west goes out, mujahideen etc come out from under rock

and the kurds arent particularly bad per se, but they are an ethnic group rather than a religious group, but if they took over (which they wont, as they are too small ) they might go all yugoslavia on the others

Gwadien

yea , it was blatantly obvious.

west goes in, west goes out, mujahideen etc come out from under rock

and the kurds arent particularly bad per se, but they are an ethnic group rather than a religious group, but if they took over (which they wont, as they are too small ) they might go all yugoslavia on the others

Bit like the Alawites are a minority in Syria? :D

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
well if the cornish were getting massacred, where would we get our pasties from?!?!?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Look at the big, fucked up country that connects to Iraq's northwestern border. There's your problem.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah but no. They aren't the cause they are just another symptom. This shits been going on since before Iraq and Syria were countries.

At least Saddam had a (sort of) lid on the hole pile of bollocks. Blair should be brought to account and go to prison imo.

Mabs

come back Shah of Persia, all is forgiven ?

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Oil prices starting to climb already unsurprisingly. And apparently (according to the Washington post anyway) there was 400 million dollars in Iraqi currency sat in Mosul central bank when Isis took over, that can't be good.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
If we weren't all so bothered about upsetting people we would just annex some of it and give them their own new country.

Gwadien

If we weren't all so bothered about upsetting people we would just annex some of it and give them their own new country.
Which is the right thing to do, if you're going to totally fuck up a country, ask them what's up before you leave, the Kurds have wanted their own country for a long fucking time, let them have it for fucks sake.

Mabs

really ?

how did that work out for jews/palestinians ? ;)

Gwadien

really ?

how did that work out for jews/palestinians ? ;)
I hear you, but with 'Israel' we threw a bunch of people there who's great great great great grandfathers lived there, but with the Kurds its a bit of a different story, they're -still- there.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
not really, you cant just make up countries to fix things, doesnt work

Actually I agree with @Raven.

The problem with Israel was the making of a "homeland for the Jews" - and all the shit that goes with a religion that's inherently racist.

Never mind how unbelieveably racist the jewish sky-fairyness is... ;)

Edit: Tho I love how the BBC is saying this:
A parliamentary vote to grant PM Nouri Maliki emergency powers was delayed earlier after MPs failed to turn up.

"Delayed" and "Failed to turn up" - lol!

Didn't turn up because they didn't want to because they think the PM is a cunt, as are his policies...

Mabs

no they didnt turn up cos they have families and want to be alive in 6 months if his government falls

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Yeah if I was an Iraqi mp I can't say I'd have much faith in the army holding off ISIL atm.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Which is the right thing to do, if you're going to totally fuck up a country, ask them what's up before you leave, the Kurds have wanted their own country for a long fucking time, let them have it for fucks sake.

and what about all those Kurds in Turkey who fought for their own country for 30 years?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22293966

Give the Kurds their own country and start a civil war in Turkey again...

Mabs

and what about all those Kurds in Turkey who fought for their own country for 30 years?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22293966

Give the Kurds their own country and start a civil war in Turkey again...

lol just read the side bar on that

• It is regarded by Turkey, the US and European Union as a terrorist organisation because of its attacks on Turkish security forces and civilians
so turkey, the US and EU consider the US army a terrorist organisation then ?

Gwadien

lol just read the side bar on that

so turkey, the US and EU consider the US army a terrorist organisation then ?
OH SHNAP

Whoever loses the Syrian Civil War will become a terrorist organisation, Don't wanna bet anything, but I think Al-Assads got a good chance, although he's killed loads of civvies, but that don't matter!

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I cant begin to work it out..Im mentally zooming out in space and time to get a grip of some long term plan or unknown influences that is causing the west to repeatedly fuck up countries by a combination of force and propoganda then acting surprised when the bleedin obvious outcome shows itself...theyre not that stupid..what is their plan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom