Sex iPhone 5 announcment due

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I'm a Nokia fanboi, simply because they were the first ,by years, with new innovations.
Fucking stupid iPhone owners trying to show off some shit their iPhone can do that my Nokia did years ago.
I had Satnav on my 7650 in 2002, that's nearly 10 years ago, and it wasn't some super geek crack, you bought the Tomtom and connected to a Bluetooth GPS..simples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_7650

Clown

Part of the furniture
And what does Nokia have now? What is the point of talking about the innovation 10 years ago? Oh the ironing.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
And what's this gps bollocks? When have apple users gone on about gPs?

At least try to be accurate in your rambling.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
nokia are shit now in comparison to the likes of iphone samsung and HTC

the one good thing i liked about nokia used to be the camera and recording they really used to stand out then now they have faded into the background as said it doesnt matter what they did 10 years ago. what are they doing now.

lets face it in the smartphone battle its firmly between iphone and samsung with a few other companies trying to muscle in on it who just havent got a prayer. blackberry was makin waves until this last nightmare theyve had. thats pretty much killed market confidence in them i expect android to get a large market share of the blackberry users.

Job

WTF, is it just me or is everyone getting shopping links added by skimwords.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Did you put your credit card info in some dodgy form again?

Job

I'm saying don't write them off. They are looking at 2013/4 to introduce massively powerful
smartphones, with xbox speed gfx chips, they still are a huge company and the speed with which they fell out of favour isn't a reflection of their hardware, it was the retailers and the operators who pushed them out.

windowphone1_thumb.jpg

Job

This computer is clean.
<Sticks fingers in ears and tra la la's>

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It absolutely is a reflection of their hardware and their lack of innovation due to complacency.. they simply didn't see everybody else coming.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Lol head in the sand job, nokia made some awful decisions; mainly around software. They are close to death right now.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I don't think they're anywhere near "death", they've just lost a lot of ground. They are still the 3rd biggest mobile manufacturer in the world (I think), they just suck in the smartphone sector. If this tie-in with Microsoft goes well then they will be right back in it (in time).

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I don't think they're anywhere near "death", they've just lost a lot of ground. They are still the 3rd biggest mobile manufacturer in the world (I think), they just suck in the smartphone sector. If this tie-in with Microsoft goes well then they will be right back in it (in time).

The announced a lot of cuts earlier this year, they've missed their profit forecasts and they are on their 3rd ceo in two years I believe.

They've made horrific decisions and have lost all touch with the market. The only thing keeping them going is all the low end handsets they make.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
...but an entirely transparent touch-screen cell phone? Is that possible?
Not in the near future. All sorts of chips and batteries and things that generaly aren't transparent at all.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The announced a lot of cuts earlier this year, they've missed their profit forecasts and they are on their 3rd ceo in two years I believe.
They employ 130000+ people, the cuts they are talking about aren't massive in that context. They still made €~2bn profit last year.
They've made horrific decisions and have lost all touch with the market. The only thing keeping them going is all the low end handsets they make.
I got it wrong earlier, they aren't the third biggest mobile manufacturer - they are the biggest mobile manufacturer and the third biggest smartphone manufacturer. They aren't going anywhere.

Job

What was wrong with their hardware?
They were cutting edge right up to the point they were dropped by all the players, it seemed to be overnight that the big phone stores and operators switched from Nokia as their flagship phones to Android.
Obviously they made some wrong decisions and complacency played a big part but it all felt a bit 'daggers in the night' for me, remember I am a fanboy so I'm biased, their biggest mistake wasn't spending half their profits on marketing.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It wasn't overnight, Nokia were overly reliant on symbian and their hardware wasn't as good as the competitors. Their implementations of touch screens was awful, and their build quality which used to be great became shit.

Job

Yes they did miss touchscreen and I was suprised by the way it took off, because everyone I knew hated using my touchscreen windoze phones, so I wrote it off myself.
I still think we need good old buttons and they will come back in some areas.
The Experia for example, you can't play games properly on a touchscreen.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Oh and they also lost out to blackberry for business use. Total failure to read the market.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
caLLous said:
They employ 130000+ people, the cuts they are talking about aren't massive in that context. They still made €~2bn profit last year.

To put that into context; Yahoo made 4bn last year; doesn't stop them being fucked though.

Job said:
What was wrong with their hardware?
They were cutting edge right up to the point they were dropped by all the players, it seemed to be overnight that the big phone stores and operators switched from Nokia as their flagship phones to Android.
Obviously they made some wrong decisions and complacency played a big part but it all felt a bit 'daggers in the night' for me, remember I am a fanboy so I'm biased, their biggest mistake wasn't spending half their profits on marketing.

They really weren't cutting edge. The n models had bits of good hardware like the cameras, and build quality was/is good, but there was little innovation there. As for the networks and retailers switching to Android, that was really simple; Nokia smartphone sales nosedived all through 2009 and the operators were actually left with a load of inventory they couldn't shift. I was working for an Irish operator with a very young demographic at the time, and the switch away from Nokia wasn't driven by the operator, it was driven by the customers; no one wanted Nokia anymore, and all that young demographic switched to low end Android (Galaxy Europa etc.) and Blackberry. At the high end, the minute corporate IT started accepting iPhones and Android, there was a stampede away from Nokia there as well.

TBH Nokia had never really made themselves many friends with the networks (they've always had a rep for arrogance, and they've been really bad with stuff like QA and version control), so the Asian Android sellers were pushing at open door, but the shift away from Nokia started with the customers who just didn't think Nokia were cool any more.

I'm interested to see how the WinMo thing pans out, because Nokia have made nice hardware in the past and WinMo7 is actually really nice (especially Mango), but I'm not confident they'll turn things around at all.

NB. No multiquote? I just had to put these in manually, unless I'm missing something obvious.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I've not even considered Nokia for years now...and I still won't.
They are too far behind...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom