Sex iPhone 5 announcment due

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Tech Radar covered the conference live. It's over now, but here is what's new, if anything...

iPhone 5 launch: live coverage | News | TechRadar UK

Yea I saw that

This summed it up pretty much:

19:33: So - it's an iPhone 4 with a slightly better camera, better processor and graphics, Siri and iOS 5. Is that enough to get you to upgrade?

I have a Blackberry at the moment, contract ran out in June and have been waiting for the new iPhone (didn't want to get a 4 with contracts being 18+ months if a new one was just round the corner).

I think I'll still go for it, maybe.

The Mrs isn't bothered, she is happy to just buy the 4.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Does it have an unbreakable screen......i bet it fucking doesn't !!!

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
No NFC.. Throughly disappointed :(

edit. Will only the new iPhone run the iOS 5 or can I install it on my now "old" iphone4?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well it's dead tech in the UK as most companies won't use it for payments.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Spain is going bankrupt why should we trust banks in Spain ?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Well it's dead tech in the UK as most companies won't use it for payments.

That would be why the banks are going around retailers asking them to upgrade their chip and pin terminals to NFC would it?

Its coming, but will only be for low value (under £10/€15 as I understand it), and the PCI compliance work is already done.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Nokia should make the hardware, Nintendo the software and Jobs the front end.

Best phone evah.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
That would be why the banks are going around retailers asking them to upgrade their chip and pin terminals to NFC would it?

Its coming, but will only be for low value (under £10/€15 as I understand it), and the PCI compliance work is already done.

Well that's a turnaround. I'm used to it in coffee shops, but it's far too open to fraud, even at such low values.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
the only thing that looks even slightly interesting is the siri software hardly worth the £500 price tag or £45 a month 2 year contract that will be flung out.

i had set my heart on the galaxy S2 but ive held off to see if the new iphone could sway me. it doesnt the S2 is a lot cheaper contractually than an iphone and its the equal if not better than the iphone 4.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well to be fair, it's worth the upgrade form a 3gs for certain, coming from a 4? If I had a spare £150, I'd sell my 4 and buy the 4s, purely for the dual core CPU and 8mp camera.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Also, this is potentially the most important upgrade for me - and yes I know this is standard on most other phones and has been for ages.

iPhone 4S is the first phone to intelligently switch between two antennas to transmit and receive, so call quality is better. It also doubles the maximum HSDPA data speeds to 14.4 Mbps.8 Which means faster connections, faster loading and reloading, and faster downloads. And iPhone 4S is a world phone, so you can use it almost anywhere. Whether you’re a GSM or CDMA customer, you can roam GSM networks in 200 countries around the world

soze

I am a FH squatter
McD already have it for under £15 and there is talk Tesco will introduce it on the self service checkouts, but that's just from my aunt when I was ranting about it.

Orange actually offer a plan where you can add money to a phone and pay that way like a pre pay credit card.

The 4s is a bit underwhelming for me and I will not be buying one.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Unless you use it for business I really don't understand what you could possibly need/want all that for?

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
well ive got a 3GS and its been a good phone had some probs with it but for the most part its been very reliable.

but the one thing that really pisses me off about the iphone and i dont know if its the same for android phones is you tube you cant watch music videos it simply doesnt show them you have to go through itunes to buy them and i think thats wrong i may only want to watch it i aint fussed bout dl it.

the iphone is and has been a very well built phone anyone who says otherwise just hates apple. but with the lack of flash and the restrictions in place like i just mentioned above, oh and while im on a rant no external memory via a microSD card i mean wtf!. i just dont see the point in getting another one when i can get a bit of kit thats half the price and does the same job only better.

and specs wise i dont see much difference between the 4S and galaxy S2

Chilly

Balls of steel
The NFC is a chicken & egg problem. Retailers cant be arsed with it because no one has a phone that can do it and users wont buy the phones because retailers dont support it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It's a gimmick, the idea has been around in one shape or another for years. I remember when my mum worked for Barclaycard, who were messing about with similar technology, that was 10+ years ago, obviously not phone based though... I think they called it magic wallet or something.

Give biometric readers and retinal scans and I will be interested, otherwise it's just another pointless fad and offers little in the way of security.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
So Crapple have had 15 months since the iPhone 4 and have come up with something which isn't quite as good as the Samsung/HTC/SonyEricsson/Motorola phones from 6 months ago?

*clap* *clap*

My upgrade is due now, however I think I'll stick with my X10 until something which grabs my interest comes out. I'm thinking Xperia Duo or Arc S at this point, not sure if I'm fussed about Dual Cores, as bugger all uses them at this point. Plus the Arc is so frickin sexy. Someone needs to tell Apple black monoloithic slabs with shiny bits are hardly the cutting edge of design any more....

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
No wonder they're trying to cripple their opponents with lawsuits and selling restrictions, they can't compete with them from a tech point of view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom