FH news Important Announcement

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Donated a couple of quid, bit short atm, living on beans and such, but if you come down to Nottingham, I'll take you to the campus bar, on a Thursday, between 7-12, and I'll buy your weight in beer.

Sorry it couldn't be more ATM :)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'll get some cash your way when back home on Tuesday, AC...

Vae

Resident Freddy
I've subscribed and put a thread on General. It was only because I saw the Facebook message that I noticed this because the Forum News section rarely gets looked at (by me or probably most people).

See how the subscriptions go but equally I'd be happy to donate some more money once we have an idea of how it goes (and if there was a way to do so).

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I know I've not been active for a very, very long time, but all subbed up now.

Save Freddyshouse!!!

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have got £25 here if you tell me how to pay it and you make @caLLous use the title Arsenal4Eva!! Or if you just tell me how to hand it over :)

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I have got £25 here if you tell me how to pay it and you make @caLLous use the title Arsenal4Eva!! Or if you just tell me how to hand it over :)
Meet me round the back of the working men's club, come alone and bring the cash in a brown paper envelope....I'll be the one in the red fishnets smoking a pipe

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Thinhs are good. Two little kiddies now, so not much time for chatting or gaming these days. Hope you are well
All good thank you mate, not hit the kids button myself yet but did go for +1 on the wife scale. Don't be a stranger :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Threw £2 into it for now, son is due any day now and after replacing the tv/decorating the house I don't have a lot of money to be throwing around - will continue to donate monthly.

soze

I am a FH squatter
How does it work do you need £100 a month or was £1200 a large bill that you pay yearly? Either way give us notice before it expires I can skip a night out to make a donation.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Folks,

Really appreciate the influx of donations, I would be lucky to get 10 a year since the early days so I am really in awe of the support shown. Now I have received several requests, why so much?

Firstly, I trust noone to host the database and site, especially these cheap arsed hosting companies offering VPS, Shared or even dedicated. Most of their setups are just plain wrong. I just know that performance will be piss poor, I have always strived to provide the best service possible based on reliability and performance. Sorry, but I will not use shit, I would rather shut up shop and be done with it.

Now, FH consists of at least 4 servers (virtual+physical) for performance reasons, a webserver (running NGINX, PHP-FPM, Memcached, Zend OpCache) which serves forums.freddyshouse.com and s6.freddyshouse.net over SSL. There is also a separate SQL server running MySQL server providing all the text content we create. The 3rd server runs ElasticSearch to power the search function. Finally I have a 4th server providing analytics (stats.teczone.net) as I do not want to send that data off to Google. Also the site sits behind a Cisco ASA (posh word for Firewall). So, in terms of cost:
  • Domain name registration: 3 domains, 1 .com and 2 .net
  • SSL Certificates : 1 .com and 1 .net
  • Hosting costs: 2U of rack space
  • Bandwidth costs
  • Forum software (yearly)
  • Skin styles (yearly)
  • Paid Addons (yearly)
All equipment and software is owned by me paid for out of my own pocket subsidised with donations from you. I hope this answers any questions you may have.

Last edited:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Folks,

Really appreciate the influx of donations, I would be lucky to get 10 a year since the early days so I am really in awe of the support shown. Now I have received several requests, why so much?

Firstly, I trust noone to host the database and site, especially these cheap arsed hosting companies offering VPS, Shared or even dedicated. Most of their setups are just plain wrong. I just know that performance will be piss poor, I have always strived to provide the best service possible based on reliability and performance. Sorry, but I will not use shit, I would rather shut up shop and be done with it.

Now, FH consists of at least 4 servers (virtual+physical) for performance reasons, a webserver (running NGINX, PHP-FPM, Memcached, Zend OpCache) which serves forums.freddyshouse.com and s6.freddyshouse.net over SSL. There is also a separate SQL server running MySQL server providing all the text content we create. The 3rd server runs ElasticSearch to power the search function. Finally I have a 4th server providing analytics (stats.teczone.net) as I do not want to send that data off to Google. Also the site sits behind a Cisco ASA (posh word for Firewall). So, in terms of cost:
  • Domain name registration: 3 domains, 1 .com and 2 .net
  • SSL Certificates : 1 .com and 1 .net
  • Hosting costs: 2U of rack space
  • Bandwidth costs
  • Forum software (yearly)
  • Skin styles (yearly)
  • Paid Addons (yearly)
All equipment and software is owned by me paid for out of my own pocket subsidised with donations from you. I hope this answers any questions you may have.
whats the yearly cost ?

It would be good to put a mark in the forum .. this is the yearly cost this is the amount we have in donations .. so we can see if we are short on target etc and make donations (when thats setup to cover)

it would encourage donations and allow people to see how close we are to judge how much they want to donate

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
whats the yearly cost ?

It would be good to put a mark in the forum .. this is the yearly cost this is the amount we have in donations .. so we can see if we are short on target etc and make donations (when thats setup to cover)

it would encourage donations and allow people to see how close we are to judge how much they want to donate
The XenForo addons for this kind of stuff are absolute pony, so unless @SheepCow is feeling generous, that would be a hassle.

It would likely be simpler to calculate the yearly cost and divide it up a bit and make that the annual subscriber contribution then remind everyone when their contribution is running out as XenForo can do that kinda stuff out of the box.

Edit: Also the notice asking people for money can be set so that it cannot be dismissed and could I suppose carry an advert to generate some revenue that way at a guess.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Its not exactly made easy to find out how to donate :p

This, I've been sat here with my debit card clicking around looking for a subscription link for 10 minutes and I can't find it! Remember it's help an idiot day today, I need help!

soze

I am a FH squatter
This, I've been sat here with my debit card clicking around looking for a subscription link for 10 minutes and I can't find it! Remember it's help an idiot day today, I need help!
Click your name - Top Right Corner. Then click on Account Upgrades.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Great thanks. Now paypal tells me it can't use either of the cards I tried for this payment with no other explanation.

@Deebs can you send me a sort code and acc number and I'll BACS you over some cash?

I am not having a good technology day.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I did explain all this in the other thread That @Vae put in general

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom