I'm starting to doubt now....

O

old.Morchaoron

A SM pet intercepted 8 blows in a row, im starting to doubt now, is this a feature or just another US - EURO translation bug?

Does anyone here play on the US servers aswell, and do these pets intercept as much there as they do here?

This has nothing to do with being overpowered or whines or calling for nerfs anything, I'm just wondering if this is working as intended, because it really feels like something is wrong, also its strange that i cant find any posts about SMs' on the US boards.
There have been many of these strange bugs like minstrels not being able to climb walls, scouts having half of their abilities and not to mention assasins not being able to land PA's because of the translation shit...

I know im probably gonna get alot of 1 or 2 word replies now but its worth a shot, ive got nothing to lose except some annonymous people whining at me over the internet...

D

Dook_Pug

That's actually a damn good question.

Would like to hear the answer to this too! :eek:

K

kalgarn

it's the same in US,there were loads of whine treads on the VN boards before about it.

O

old.Morchaoron

I know GOA probably does extensive testing on all kinds of things, but as we all have noticed some things still slipped through, and since mythic doesnt like giving out hard stats and details on some 'abilities' how can we players know if its working like its supposed to be, since this 'thing' can be easily overlooked...

L

lairiodd

Supposed to block maybe 50% of blows .... so chances of 8 being blocked in a row = 0.4% chance. In otherwords, you would be more likely to make a MP weapon than get 8 intercepts in a row.

B

bigchief

Originally posted by lairiodd
Supposed to block maybe 50% of blows .... so chances of 8 being blocked in a row = 0.4% chance. In otherwords, you would be more likely to make a MP weapon than get 8 intercepts in a row.

It can be quite silly though.

It intercepts crit strikes .. so in one fight it intercepted PA, therefore full chain fails, it then proceeded to intercept 5 more attacks in the same fight.

Considering its a blue con pet it also hits bloody hard. Nearly killed my inf one on one when i was low on end. Took forever too and with the /face pet additions running away as fast as possible and killing the pet somewhere out the line of sight isnt really possible anymore :(

L

lairiodd

It intercepts crit strikes .. so in one fight it intercepted PA, therefore full chain fails, it then proceeded to intercept 5 more attacks in the same fight
You sure ? ... I was under the inpression intercept didnt affect style chains. Like perf the pet, then creeping on the SM ( assuming it doesnt intercept that too ). Also, is the "bug" still in where if you melee stun the pet, it actually stuns the SM ?

O

old.Morchaoron

actually, we dont know what its supposed to do, but yes 8 blocks in a row no lies...

THATS why i was starting to doubt...

and if it would be more likely to make a mp weapon then what does that mean?

also this is not the first time i've seen such an absurb high blocking spree, so there cant be just 0,4% chance.

V

voth

I had my pet intercept 12 times in a row on purp mob and another time not intercept at all while i was being hit 9 times in a row. Killed a stealther that jumped me though because pet took all 5 hits he threw at me before he died.
I don't rely on my pet to save my ass at all. In DF the other day it intercepted all of 2 times before 3 melee's owned my ass using no styles at all.

S

Sarnat

8 times can happen if the pet is right on top of the master (achieved by "here" command). This means that pet must be on passive also. You get a fairly steady rate of intercepts like this and I have killed couple stealthers with the help of pet intercept. On 1 on 1 encounters this works fairly well. Unfortunately often in group RvR the pet is mezzed or it bugs and walks way past you and doesn't intercept... I don't think I've ever survived even I've had pet right on me and more than 2 people hitting me....

I'd say it's powerful when it works (solo) but mostly in group RvR it doesnt help much. if the enemy knows what it is doing.

Btw you can ask Arauddry likes me when I got pet + Finrod guarding me ;)

M

Makwaerk

I Love casper.... silly overpowered, but I like him. He is a bit bugged at times bit when you do get him to intercept 2 PA's, you wonder what mystic was thinking

K

klavrynd

omg mid has a godmode char!!!!!

QUICK TO VNBOARDS!!!! <batman tune> dadadadadada

F

Flesh

SM's rock;o
Mine intercepted 8 attacks off a red mob in a row \o/
And yes afaik the % chance to intercept depends on how close you are to the pet, iirc the maximum % chance for pet to intercept is 75% and that's when you're basically ontop of it.

A

aveh

Originally posted by old.Morchaoron
I know GOA probably does extensive testing on all kinds of things, but as we all have noticed some things still slipped through, and since mythic doesnt like giving out hard stats and details on some 'abilities' how can we players know if its working like its supposed to be, since this 'thing' can be easily overlooked...

Not a translation bug, as it's on the US servers. It's still there by the way, and they've 1.62 for several months now.

And of course there's heaps of whiners on vnboards about it, because it mostly affects Alb infiltrators, and they are lords of getting things nerfed/themselves buffed when they can't kill it :D

TBH, I never take my runie out to RVR anymore because we'll run into an Alb group, and some bloody infiltrator will stealth no more than a meter away from us, then pop back up and PA me. Straight through the PBT I spent 351 spec points on getting. So if our brother & sister mystics are getting some way to keep their life expectancy above 5 seconds in normal combat, woot! More deservedly for them, because theyre expected to run into the thick of combat before casting.

Statistically, 8 blocks in a row @ 50% is unlikely. Should only happen in 1 in ~250 encounters. But hey, given the sheer number of times infis jump sm's, its bound to happen eventually. And you know that Albs being Albs, they'll start a nerf-this! thread about it somewhere even before /release'ing :D

You don't see SMs rushing in here either going "I got PA/CD'ed by an infi and my pet didn't do anything about it! FIX!" - the statistics probably skew that way at times as well..

BTW.. in the infiltrators defense, I think its quite silly that pets can still home in on you guys even when you've restealthed. I used my lvl 7 homing-dog in Thid to do that all the time. Perhaps you should do some more campaigning on that issue - or have you already accepted that its a kill or die situation when attacking anywhere near a pet owner?.

S

svenfleet

Its increased my survivability alot in a group as I'm no longer dead in seconds to a tank hitting me for more than I can nuke on high resist targets. The intercepts are streaky but then thats the wonderful random number generator this game uses!

Since Mythic's aim is to prolong fights, I'd say working as intended :)

G

greatred

Originally posted by aveh
TBH, I never take my runie out to RVR anymore because we'll run into an Alb group, and some bloody infiltrator will stealth no more than a meter away from us, then pop back up and PA me. Straight through the PBT I spent 351 spec points on getting.
If an inf ran that close unstealthed, your group sounds more to blame to me. Are you not using CC or am I misunderstanding something?

D

dozigden

<sarcasm>
And nobody makes MP weapons do they? I mean that would just be silly!
</sarcasm>

How many blows it blocks is dependant on how close it is to the SM. If the pet is hitting on you then move it away from the SM.

As mentioned above random number generators are extremely patchy, and i doubt DAoC has the processing power free to do anything particularly sophisticated random number wise.

What you have to remember is that for everyone who has a pet block 8 attacks in a row theres probably half a dozen people for who it doesnt block any. You play the odds.

B

bigchief

BTW.. in the infiltrators defense, I think its quite silly that pets can still home in on you guys even when you've restealthed. I used my lvl 7 homing-dog in Thid to do that all the time. Perhaps you should do some more campaigning on that issue - or have you already accepted that its a kill or die situation when attacking anywhere near a pet owner?.

It was in a grab bag a few weeks ago that its designed like this (ie they dont know how to fix it) and it wont be changing.

S

Scunner

Not a translation bug, as it's on the US servers. It's still there by the way, and they've 1.62 for several months now.

And of course there's heaps of whiners on vnboards about it, because it mostly affects Alb infiltrators, and they are lords of getting things nerfed/themselves buffed when they can't kill it :D

TBH, I never take my runie out to RVR anymore because we'll run into an Alb group, and some bloody infiltrator will stealth no more than a meter away from us, then pop back up and PA me. Straight through the PBT I spent 351 spec points on getting. So if our brother & sister mystics are getting some way to keep their life expectancy above 5 seconds in normal combat, woot! More deservedly for them, because theyre expected to run into the thick of combat before casting.

Statistically, 8 blocks in a row @ 50% is unlikely. Should only happen in 1 in ~250 encounters. But hey, given the sheer number of times infis jump sm's, its bound to happen eventually. And you know that Albs being Albs, they'll start a nerf-this! thread about it somewhere even before /release'ing :D

You don't see SMs rushing in here either going "I got PA/CD'ed by an infi and my pet didn't do anything about it! FIX!" - the statistics probably skew that way at times as well..

what and sb's dont pop off alb casters...please....

A

amazingsteve

There´s a similar thread located here and somewhere among the posts is a rightnow reply saying it´s not a bug:(

O

old.mattshanes

The main way tanks can counter this is to use fastest weaps they have,which means shit damage per hit but fast speed ALTHOUGH with 2.6 spd sword you interupt for same amount of time was a 4 spd sword:

i.e i swing jambiya 2.6 spd hit chanter for 200 damage,he is interupted for 4 seconds

i.e i swing bastard sword 4.1 spd hit chanter for 350 damage he is interupted for 4 seconds

A person told me this ingame, seems it could be true although i haven't played my casters much in rvr lately so i can't tell at the moment.Anyway as for the intercept,some sms i find it's ok on but some intercept me like 8+ times in a fight at least.If that group has 3 sms with buffbotted pets then you may aswell log unless you are hibs with a good pbaoe group.Whereas albs best group is a melee group(yes it is) they have a very small chance to kill a good mid pbaoe group.

F

Flesh

There was about 2fg albs in odin's the other day, who had ported to keeel the growing numbers of hibs and mids.
2fg albs standing at amg, along comes a sm + random mid tank, alot of the albs were rooted, cc'd but the sm had about 1fg beating on it afaik and it still managed to kill 4 of them.

P

parisienscot

Originally posted by Flesh
There was about 2fg albs in odin's the other day, who had ported to keeel the growing numbers of hibs and mids.
2fg albs standing at amg, along comes a sm + random mid tank, alot of the albs were rooted, cc'd but the sm had about 1fg beating on it afaik and it still managed to kill 4 of them.

I think if he had a fg beating on him and managed to kill 4 he was probably using Mastery of Concentration - SM pets are good but not that good as far as I know.

F

Flesh

He probably was, but the tanks all whined about "OMG WTF WAS THAT? PET INTERCEPT?" ..etc..

R

Roo Stercogburn

Originally posted by bigchief
Considering its a blue con pet it also hits bloody hard. Nearly killed my inf one on one when i was low on end. Took forever too and with the /face pet additions running away as fast as possible and killing the pet somewhere out the line of sight isnt really possible anymore :(

The reason peeps aren't used to spirit pets hitting hard is few have Summoning specced much, if at all.

Now that Summoning spec buffs equate to their shaman buff equivilents anyone who has specced summoning at all gets a tougher pet as of patch.

Junior has always hit hard. Even before patch he's killed infs without any help from me at times, though luck as always plays a part.

I think also the addition of the haste buff on the summoning line will help the block rate so anyone with decent Summoning gets a very handy pet. Most SMs have combo of Suppression and Darkness so this will be rare.

Junior has 26 Summoning backing him up.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA(TM)

O

old.Tohtori

Anyone thought of the possibility that SM's are just...that..damn...good. <--noone will get it :p

S

svenfleet

Originally posted by Flesh
He probably was, but the tanks all whined about "OMG WTF WAS THAT? PET INTERCEPT?" ..etc..

That was probably me /wave

MOC/LT/Intercept is a deadly combo even with 1FG beating away at you.

M

Makwaerk

Hehe

wellif I am not mistake Svennfleet had 330 dex at the time giving him a cast time of about 1.2 sec, if he hits for 400, that means he get 360 Hp back every 1.2 sec + casper reduces he dmg taken.

question: Did you get him becourse
1) moc ran out?
2) you killed the pet
or
3) you just did enough dmg betwin intercept's to kill him?

F

Flesh

Yeh iirc it was svenfleet.
I didn't die though hrhr ! I have the sense not to run into moc pbaoe. :(

Users who are viewing this thread