Is DAoC starting to die?

C

cHodAX

So many long term Alb players have left in the last few weeks, others have let accounts lapse to go play Planetside or beta versions of other games. I have counted 12 people I know who cancelled this week and another 6 that have a few weeks till the account ends. Excal seems to be having similiar problems with many established players leaving and the bigger guilds collpasing. Is this same trend happening in Mid/Hib because if it is then things are about to take a massive down turn. The delay of the RvR expansion seems to have been the final straw for many people and even the promise of /level 20's in 1.62 seems to hold no sway when people consider their future in DAoC. The numbers above don't seem like much but that is just people I consider friends so I hate to think of how many more are on the verge of quitting. Your thoughts please......

B

Big-G-

it happens
happening in daoc atm from my point of view,,
happened in UO too just before i left, but thats still going stlong
i think

people will come back, they always do the first time 'leaving' a mmorpg :p

C

cHodAX

Nope, many of these people have took time off from the game during the 18 months they have played and now they are all off to pastures new. They give a variety of reasons such as bored with the current state of RvR and the huge delay in patching bugs/game balance. Mainly though I think they are just tired of the same thing night after night for 18 months, I know I am and it looks like I will be following them when my account runs out in 8 weeks. I just can't find any good reason to keep paying and playing. The RvR expansion was the only thing keeping myself and others playing, now that has slipped over the horizon who in thier right mind would wait 'another' 10 months just for a patch that improves RvR to what it should have been long ago.

Y

Yuffy

hmm, i did a few albs have left, and the realm is gradualy falling apart compared to what it used to be, even in bg0 tonight we had 0% resistance from albs, pretty unusual as there is always albs kicking about, and took the keep np.

I dont know if i could ever leave the game itself, the server maybe if the numbers got to a complete joke, i would go to the most populated US server or go *.kr :)

There isnt actualy i game comming up or out that i like;
  • SWG - heh, hell no. i keep seing insult the dog.
  • WoW - Might try it, depends on the PVP rules.
  • MEO - Will be the game i leave DAoC for, but its a few years off yet.
so im here to stay (aslong as the numbers are ok)

V

VidX

It better bloody well not die, I just got Usp back to 50 ffs!

0pin

The last man standing !

Been on pryd since beta, and yes theres been times when i have been thinking if this still was the thing for me, and there have been months where i havent been that active, but im not leaving before GOA close down the servers and boot me of ! Sure it has it flaws, but no other game can offer me what Daoc does.

Just dont browse the boards to much, theres some wicked people on them makeing daoc look like something i certainly cant recognise ingame ;)

G

gwyneth-love

many old players leave ... but many new players still arrive ..

servers are as full as i remember and its summer time .. So yeah people are leaving but its much too soon to speak of the end of Daoc.. atleast till wowo is out . :)

H

hangianix

I agree with Drizzt, it's not dying just an almost complete characters/players change will happen in the near future.

"how many more are on the verge of quitting"

Count me in. :)

O

oldtimer

The news on the RvR expansion was most depressing from a game playing perspective. I guess I remain with Raven Shield for the pvp experience for now.

P

pudzy

Well I wont be renewing, nomatter how many crappy addons they bring out, until something drastic changes to RvR. The realms aren't balanced, GOA dont care about customers, just money and again, the way the class changes are come about is all wrong, it's all based upon population and what happens on US servers.

V

vestax

I have tried quitting twice now.. people will keep comming back because theres no other MMORPG that provides a decent PvP junkie fix :)

O

old.TeaSpoon

Originally posted by vestax
I have tried quitting twice now.. people will keep comming back because theres no other MMORPG that provides a decent PvP junkie fix :)

I'm sure theres a nasty comment there somewhere, but I'll spare you this time ;)

Alot of the old players are leaving, but we're still going strong.

Have faith Chods!

F

faderullan

Im ust say that for everyday i see less and less of the old timers that i usually group with, its depressing

S

skar_ironfist

I have noticed within my own guild numbers are down.

But this I hope is just the ebb and flow of time. Some will come back from SWG and Planetside, some will not.

Planetside has more of that instant action feel to it. Jump in and start laying waste to everyone. Which is nice when you are short on time.

Don't know alot about SWG beta, so can't comment.

I would imagine that Mythic are having a long look at Planetside, and seeing what they can take from it, and incorporate into DAOC (Voice comms). But ultimately they are different games. DAOC has large amount of PVE and PVP and a good community.

Lets sees what happens.

N

Nightchill

Were any of you on the (excellently done) retake of Renaris last night? After that, I no longer think Albion (as a realm) is falling apart :)

O

old.Hardbein

Yeah some ppl might quit/break.....and I can understand em too.....things like:

Summer
Beer
Chicks
Parties
Friends (IRL)

.....can be tempting...no?

Within 2 months my guess is that 50% of these guys r back. Teh urge for RPs never stops :p

R

Roo Stercogburn

I know a lot of people that have left or are leaving soon. I don't think its the death knell of DAoC. People have been saying this for a year to be honest.

However, there WILL be attrition as other games are released and people naturally move on to other things. Some will come back to DAoC, some won't. Its the way of things.

Ironically for me, work prevents me from getting online to play much at all these days, so I simply don't have time to get bored with it when I do get on. (I still have deep misgivings over the future of my favourite subclass, but still got fingers crossed).

A lot of people that have jumped ship for other games are already finding they left a better game. I'm playing Planetside and Eve but neither of these games have the range of things to do that DAoC has. In Planetside's case it never will, its just instant fun and in Eve's case, its potential has yet to be seen (if ever and when SWG gets its spaceship add-on SWG has the potential to seriously hurt Eve).

The true threats to DAoC are the established brand names scheduled over the next few months to start appearing on shelves; thats when we'll find out if DAoC is up to the fight to keep players.

T

The Real Redi

When i first started playing this, about 13 months ago or so, the game was totally different - it was so uber to be 50, now people PL in a week. Hunting Ellyls for the superb itamz, going into Barfog, and have two groups kill the Epic beasties there, then gaspin at how cool the drops were.

It was a learning curve i suppose, and Mythic/GoA were looking after us pretty well.

Now, sad to say, the impetus appears to have changed from customer pleasing to money making. The games getting stale for a lot of folk, and the only drop of light we had was this mysterious RvR patch that was promised us - the first thing to look forward too since SI. Now, since SI has been released, and the people at the top realised that this patch bought a lot of new blood to the realms, they started to smell cash and have apparently decided that money is more important than a good customer service, and pleasing its existing player base.

Expansions give more subs, more customers, more income, more press, but don't actually offer anything to the game accept yet more badly tested, badly unbalanced classes, and yet more landscape to not bother exploring, seeing as your done training.

Mythic and GoA have to wake up and realise that if the new players see how little they seem to care about those who have achieved 50, and are now entering the essence of the game, then why the hell would they want to stay and put in all that effort, only to find that once your there, your only option is to zerg everywhere and get bored - and eventually leave, a dissapointed and poorer person for it.

GOA/MYTHIC - if you read this, its a plea from your existing player base, and of those finding themselves paying your recently hiked rates, for the same old thing, day in day out:

GIVF US LUV!! get that RvR patch to the top of your "to do" list, screw Atlantis for a few months, and get your existing players (most of whom would've paid in excess of £100 for the privelige of being here this long) some long needed relief in the way of something new, and interesting for the increasingly monotonous(sp?) HEART of the game!

ooh... look... a bee... <wanders off>

P

parisienscot

Originally posted by gwyneth-love
many old players leave ... but many new players still arrive ..

servers are as full as i remember and its summer time .. So yeah people are leaving but its much too soon to speak of the end of Daoc.. atleast till wowo is out . :)

This is true - there seems to be quite a few new people recently. I think we don't have a very objective view here as many Barrysworld forumites are old players, so it can give the impression that more are leaving than joining.

I went to the newbie area in Aegir the other night and helped someone level their dwarf mystic up to level 5 with my mana regen and stunning his mobs. He then asked me to show him to the Spiritmaster trainer! Doh! If that's not a noob I dunno what is ;)

A

amazingsteve

Hibernia has a few people leaving atm, also in SP, but a large part of the Hibbies is having a vacation on Alb/excal.

S

Scunner

I have seen many friends go too and its very depressing but there is still enough around to keep me here. Plenty new people showing up but its not the same as the people u leveled with when u were new to the game and everything had that magic to it.

I dont think the game is dying just moving on.

K

Kaitlyn

I have gotten to the point where its been there done that for me.If it wasnt for the people I spend time with I wouldnt come to camelot at all.
Planetside is just instant fun, log on, jump in a lightening and off I go.
Rather than Camelot where its log on, wait for a group, wait even longer, get a group which dissapates after 10 minutes, wait for a group.
Also its getting rather disconcerting blowing kisses to old friends only to find out they arent the original and dont know who I am...

O

old.Gombur Glodson

Its' the eeeeeeeeeeend!

*falls on his knees screaming*

T

The Real Redi

<sees Gombur fall to his knees, so it must be cool>

<falls to his knees and raises his arms in the air>

KAAAAAAHN!!!!!!!!!!!

N

Nihilis

DAoC is surving on the fact that the other MMORPGs are really /beurk and on add-ons.

O

Old Nicodemus

cHodAX, you cheap purveyor of Saracen perfume, if you haul your scraggly arse out of this game before we've had a least another staff duel, I will be most upset!

The old gimp has been waiting around solely to provide you with an arse kicking <cough, cough> ok.. maybe you've handed out the arse whippings.. but you know what I mean. ;)

C

Candy lollipop

I'm uber-bored of Midgard atm, I don't have and see any fun anymore in there :(
So I'm trying to play in another realm for a while which is Albion/exca,
and its fun, altho I miss my old friends, cuz in alb there is noooooo1 to talk to :(:(
;)
And I guess I'll keep playing DaoC till there is another uber mmorpg coming..

love,
Candy

L

Luv_Bunny

hey candy, you can always pm me for a little chat ;)

but i got exams atm so i'm not on much
btw, plz don't tell me you joined Flemish Lions :eek:

oh, and as it's already stated earlier, same thing happening to excal, seen several players quit :( and accounts constantly shifting owners

M

~Mobius~

Originally posted by *-Candy-*
I'm uber-bored of Midgard atm, I don't have and see any fun anymore in there :(
So I'm trying to play in another realm for a while which is Albion/exca,
and its fun, altho I miss my old friends, cuz in alb there is noooooo1 to talk to :(:(
;)
And I guess I'll keep playing DaoC till there is another uber mmorpg coming..

love,
Candy

Hehe thats so true. You get bored of a realm so you try another one, then you dont know anyone, so you go back and talk to your friends, then get bored of your character, so you go back to the realm you was going to try, but have no one to talk to!

It sucks. :<

Users who are viewing this thread