IGN's (LOL) top 100 FPS of all times list (LOL)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
casual FPS

Yup. Something you can pick up and put down easily.

MS realised that putting controller-based Halo XBox players up against mouse/kb PC players, as they originally planned, was a non-starter.

Microsoft killed the PC vs Console concept because in all their tests PC players destroyed the console players - which, in marketing terms, reinforces the view that the PC is the ultimate platform.

The truth isn't good for console sales. Aada -a-likes would switch their fanboi allegence from console to PC faster than you can say "who's winning the premier league"?

:D

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I think there was a game that had console players and PC players against each other, can't remember the name of it or the platform but it failed miserably.

I just don't see the point in autoaim shooters, I can't see how you can get any satisfaction from it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Why would there be, id blatantly stole their ideas from Halo.

To be fair, I would expect it to be up there in the top 20, for influence and legacy if nothing else.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I think there was a game that had console players and PC players against each other, can't remember the name of it or the platform but it failed miserably.

I just don't see the point in autoaim shooters, I can't see how you can get any satisfaction from it.

They had that Shadowrun which failed on 360 and PC and then there was UT'99 on the Dreamcast, they had to close the connection to PC players as the Dreamcast players just couldn't compete. I think Q3 was also cross-platform though don't quote me on that.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
They had that Shadowrun which failed on 360 and PC and then there was UT'99 on the Dreamcast, they had to close the connection to PC players as the Dreamcast players just couldn't compete. I think Q3 was also cross-platform though don't quote me on that.

Don't expect a congratulatory facepalm from Aada - he's steadfastly refusing to contemplate the evidence ;)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
If halo started the regen health I hate it because its just so lame to hide behind a wall to get health back. At least with health packs there was risk in you having to go out and get them and it kept everything fast and moving. Also limiting things to two guns at a time was a console thug. Doom etc you had a whole arsenal at your finger tips. Much more fun than having just two types and having to dump the rest.

Auto aim just shows the consoles limitations in accuracy and will always be slower to do a 180 and aim than a PC mouse.

All Halo was, was a big budget release title to sell xbox consoles. High production costs for great gfx (at the time) to wow the masses who hadn't been around the scene before.

I never completed any halo game I found them tedious in the extreme. Lack of thought just flows from it from calling your main char Master Chief or whatever it is to the predetermined pinch points which had been around since doom years earlier.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Lack of thought just flows from it from calling your main char Master Chief

Unlike doomguy(doommarine/marine), B. J. Blazkowitz, no name in quake, duke nukem, gordon freeman, JC denton. Yeah, names are truly the comparison point in FPS :p

Aada

Part of the furniture
If halo started the regen health I hate it because its just so lame to hide behind a wall to get health back. At least with health packs there was risk in you having to go out and get them and it kept everything fast and moving. Also limiting things to two guns at a time was a console thug. Doom etc you had a whole arsenal at your finger tips. Much more fun than having just two types and having to dump the rest.

Auto aim just shows the consoles limitations in accuracy and will always be slower to do a 180 and aim than a PC mouse.

All Halo was, was a big budget release title to sell xbox consoles. High production costs for great gfx (at the time) to wow the masses who hadn't been around the scene before.

I never completed any halo game I found them tedious in the extreme. Lack of thought just flows from it from calling your main char Master Chief or whatever it is to the predetermined pinch points which had been around since doom years earlier.

So you want games to go back to having the whole arsenal at your finger tips? Battlefield no classes just everyone having every weapon on them?

Dumb bastard, never ever have anything to do with game design.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So you want games to go back to having the whole arsenal at your finger tips? Battlefield no classes just everyone having every weapon on them?

Dumb bastard.

When it's a doom/quake/other silly genre, yes.

When it's battlefield/cod "serious" shooter, no.

Actually would like it if battlefield(or some new ip) took it further and limited the everyone can use every vehicle aspect. Just class it to all aspects, tank drivers, commanders, pilots etc.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
What always nags me about the Halo series is the Halo RTS, they should have released a PC version. Heck Halo 1 was going to be a RTS, after the fantastic Myth series I was looking forward to another Bungie RTS and when they went to FPS and Microsoft bought them and released for Xbox, I thought ok ill get the xbox to play Halo, then when I heard 343 were working on a RTS, I got excited again, only to be disappointed with no PC release. I came to the conclusion that Microsoft is split in 2 when it comes to PC gaming, one side loves it but doesn't have enough money to implement its ideas so we end up for Games for Windows and the other side, ignores PC gaming exists and would rather draw gamers to the Xbox. As I have said before I enjoy the Halo series, its a blast to play through a game as a super human where everyone looks up to you as you take down a hunter just with pistol whipping. But it reminds me the world is largely run by accountants rather than customer service and the PC Gaming side of Microsoft suffers because of this.

Aada

Part of the furniture
When it's a doom/quake/other silly genre, yes.

When it's battlefield/cod "serious" shooter, no.

Actually would like it if battlefield(or some new ip) took it further and limited the everyone can use every vehicle aspect. Just class it to all aspects, tank drivers, commanders, pilots etc.

There's a reason why doom/quake style games don't really get the green light any more, because the world has moved on and the carry everything you can mechanic has long died.

Aada

Part of the furniture
What always nags me about the Halo series is the Halo RTS, they should have released a PC version. Heck Halo 1 was going to be a RTS, after the fantastic Myth series I was looking forward to another Bungie RTS and when they went to FPS and Microsoft bought them and released for Xbox, I thought ok ill get the xbox to play Halo, then when I heard 343 were working on a RTS, I got excited again, only to be disappointed with no PC release. I came to the conclusion that Microsoft is split in 2 when it comes to PC gaming, one side loves it but doesn't have enough money to implement its ideas so we end up for Games for Windows and the other side, ignores PC gaming exists and would rather draw gamers to the Xbox. As I have said before I enjoy the Halo series, its a blast to play through a game as a super human where everyone looks up to you as you take down a hunter just with pistol whipping. But it reminds me the world is largely run by accountants rather than customer service and the PC Gaming side of Microsoft suffers because of this.

I loved Halo Wars shame they closed the studio when it released :(

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Microsoft doesn't give a fuck about console games or PC games. Xbox is there to invade the living room; if music or video had a better shot at owning that space, that's what they'd focus on (and with the Xbone that's what quite a few people think is happening anyway), but they're pragmatic enough to know they have a better shot with games than music (Apple) or video (a million cheap streamers and the satellite/cable companies). Their interest in PC games is the same; what encourages the maximum take-up of the latest version of Windows? Games was the key consumer driver of Windows uptake for a long time, which is the only reason MS ever got involved in PC gaming in the first place, and why their PC gaming business has been starved in the last few years; once the lead consumer driver for PCs became the web and video, they didn't need it any more.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
There's a reason why doom/quake style games don't really get the green light any more, because the world has moved on and the carry everything you can mechanic has long died.

Really? How about borderlands 2, upcoming shadow warrior, rage and to some extent farcry 3(With upgrades up to 4 + nades) and probably others.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Really? How about borderlands 2, upcoming shadow warrior, rage and to some extent farcry 3(With upgrades up to 4 + nades) and probably others.

You can't carry everything you want in Borderlands 2 they have a weapon limit system, so does FC3 to an extent. Rage was a failure for multiple reasons.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

Dumb bastard, never ever have anything to do with game design.
You really are a pleasant person, just because I have an opposing view to you doesn't mean I am any less intelligent or that my mother wasn't married to my father when I was born.

I liked unreal tournament and I liked doom quake etc. I loved the original cod and cod:uo

But I agree with thot if your simulating like cod more than a couple weapons is bad but in general FPS ie run around killing people having fun why not give us the ability to use all weapons like in doom etc. it's funtokill people in different ways and also funny when you accidentally choose the rocket launch and blow your self up lol

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
You can't carry everything you want in Borderlands 2 they have a weapon limit system, so does FC3 to an extent. Rage was a failure for multiple reasons.
B2 you can have four weapons I believe and then loads of others in you inventory.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Hasn't the Resistance series done quite well? You can carry a shit tonne of weapons in that.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Microsoft doesn't give a fuck about console games or PC games. Xbox is there to invade the living room; if music or video had a better shot at owning that space, that's what they'd focus on (and with the Xbone that's what quite a few people think is happening anyway), but they're pragmatic enough to know they have a better shot with games than music (Apple) or video (a million cheap streamers and the satellite/cable companies). Their interest in PC games is the same; what encourages the maximum take-up of the latest version of Windows? Games was the key consumer driver of Windows uptake for a long time, which is the only reason MS ever got involved in PC gaming in the first place, and why their PC gaming business has been starved in the last few years; once the lead consumer driver for PCs became the web and video, they didn't need it any more.

This, The X-bone 180 is an advertising/market research medium with occasional games. Then there will be the paid for content, I guarantee within a few years they will be after the pay-per-view sports.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I do wonder how Aada exists on a day to day basis, so much that's said to him seems to pass him by. I worry sometimes. :(

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Health regen...
i9J1MpT.jpg

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Not much more ridiculous than pots though is it? "Oh look, a pot of red lying on the floor in the middle of nowhere... if i drink that i'm sure i'll feel better". Fine in fantasy games, but if you're moaning about the realism of health regen in supposedly realistic games you can't say the other options are better.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Not realism, just that it promotes hiding away slowing play down rather than encouraging it

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Not much more ridiculous than pots though is it? "Oh look, a pot of red lying on the floor in the middle of nowhere... if i drink that i'm sure i'll feel better". Fine in fantasy games, but if you're moaning about the realism of health regen in supposedly realistic games you can't say the other options are better.

I think when you are going down the route of bullet drop, realistic vehicle damage and so on in these self proclaimed combat simulators then health regain by hiding for 10 seconds is a bit daft. It promotes run and gun game play and turns everything into tedious broshooters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom