IGN's (LOL) top 100 FPS of all times list (LOL)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Giants: Citizen Kabuto had FPS elements and open-worldness (and underrated awesomeness) and that was 1998 I think.

Aada

Part of the furniture
I'm going to end my part of this discussion with this.

Halo, what came before it and what didn't, changed a genre for the better on consoles and changed a lot of mechanic's that other shooter's followed, this in my opinion is a game that influenced a lot of other games and is why it should be in the top 5.

Like it or not Halo changed things.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Giants: Citizen Kabuto had FPS elements and open-worldness (and underrated awesomeness) and that was 1998 I think.
And incredibly novel multiplayer. Three vastly different races duking it out, I can't remember anything else like that until infantry vs tanks vs planes in Battlefield 1942.

Lethul

FH is my second home
but obviously that logic is not used as seen by Doom / Quake games ranked around 50 :p

Would be interesting to know what they based it on? Probably how much money they recieved :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Updated

#40 Alien vs. Predator (Jaguar)
#39 Far Cry
#38 Rainbow Six 3
#37 Star Trek: Elite Force II
#36 Star Wars: Republic Commando
#35 System Shock 2
#34 SWAT 4
#33 Far Cry 3
#32 Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
#31 Bioshock Infinite
#30 Planetside 2
#29 Star Wars: Dark Forces
#28 Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
#27 The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
#26 F.E.A.R.
#25 Crysis
#24 Left 4 Dead
#23 Battlefield 2
#22 Tribes 2 (really? #22 for this? gtfo)
#21 Duke Nukem 3D

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
SS2 #35. Fine. But still, the list is completely randomized. There is no thought behind the listing at all.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
rainbow 6, SWAT, brothers in arms are not FPS games, so OK THEN !

</3 IGN

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Best part is the judging criteria they claim to be using...

"Judging Criteria:
All the shooters on this list must all obviously exhibit very high overall quality. Other considerations for inclusion include legacy and influence on the genre; popularity; historical quality (was it incredible at the time?); modern quality (does the experience hold up?); and lastly pure editorial preference."

Mabs

pure editorial preference, AKA "i got paid to say this"

so tragic its almost funny

Kryten

Old Cow.
Fear better than Bioshock Infinite? Duke 3D better than Doom2 or Quake? Ermmmm....

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
By the by, no FPS game influenced dual wielding pistols, this guy influenced it -to- FPS;

Featured59.jpg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh that, I didn't reply to it because I lack the intellect to understand its insight and even if I did I'm such a fanboi I would religiously refute it

Fixed.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
Personally I haven't enjoyed a fps as much as Aliens V Predator 2 on the PC on multiplayer and yes I've tried CoDs and Halos, all are meh.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
No One Lives Forever, only #52. What an absolute crock of shit this list is, NOLF was way ahead of its time and still looks* and plays great. It had amazing levels, gadgets, characters, acting and brilliant, witty dialogue. And it came out in 2000 (before Halo, Aada).

*Ok it may be looking a bit dated but I've played it since the likes of Crysis came out and it's still a gorgeous game - the Lithtech engine really was superb.

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yep, Tribes 1 and 2 for me. Love CS as well (including CS:GO).

Found all of the bioshocks meh, tbfh. So much so that I didn't bother even finishing infinite. Linear, consoley, dull. The story wasn't enough to put up with such boring game mechanics.

Aada

Part of the furniture
AvP was awesome :) spent many hours crawling up walls and head biting marines coming through a door.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
There were some mod to Half Life, Action Half Life (AHL) were you could akimbo pistols etc. Released 1998-1999 or some such. But i guess Goldeneye were earlier.

Mabs

No One Lives Forever, only #52. What an absolute crock of shit this list is, NOLF was way ahead of its time and still looks* and plays great. It had amazing levels, gadgets, characters, acting and brilliant, witty dialogue. And it came out in 2000 (before Halo, Aada).

*Ok it may be looking a bit dated but I've played it since the likes of Crysis came out and it's still a gorgeous game - the Lithtech engine really was superb.

true dat

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeap. Just saying which one most likely influenced it to FPS, and how pickering about which game had the "idea" of a feature first is silly :p

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Well exactly but the fact remains, Halo influenced fuck all. Generic shooter is generic.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
What i think Halo brought into the mix is casual FPS. It was more of an everymans FPS, while FPSs to that point had been more "hardcore" so to speak. In good and bad ofcourse.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
What i think Halo brought into the mix is casual FPS. It was more of an everymans FPS, while FPSs to that point had been more "hardcore" so to speak. In good and bad ofcourse.

Halo's real claim to fame was that it was the first FPS that was of remotely acceptable quality with a controller. (And even then MS realised that putting controller-based Halo XBox players up against mouse/kb PC players, as they originally planned, was a non-starter).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom