IGN's (LOL) top 100 FPS of all times list (LOL)

Aada

Part of the furniture
This.

To be completely patronising, and completely honest in one fell swoop - Aada's on the whippersnapper side of age, and hasn't the experience of growing up game-obsessed since the late 70's/early 80's. And it shows.

Used to link all the Universities PC's together in the early 90's to play games.

Does LAN play not count unless it's on proprietory and incompatible - i.e. console - hardware?

Unreal was the first game to really try to get large open levels going. In 1998.

Did you ever play that Aada? Or were you still sucking on your mum's tits?

You completely miss the point about LAN and consoles and go straight for the ''but but but PC's did it first'' yes I know that you fucking retard.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You completely miss the point about LAN and consoles and go straight for the ''but but but PC's did it first'' yes I know that you fucking retard.

I haven't missed the point. YOU (rather laughably) are on about Halo being an innovation. About being a leader and influencer in gaming terms.

It's just a PC game, that followed on from many other PC games, that was bought by Microsoft to launch Xbox.

The Xbox, of course, being just a cut-down PC for retards who couldn't be bothered with the faff of getting PC games to work.

The simple answer is this:

Halo is to Games as Xbox is to PC

i.e. Halo and Xbox are simple derivatives. Neither of them pushed any sort of boundaries - they stole ideas from elsewhere.

And I'd stop going on about other people not answering your direct questions. - I'm still waiting for you to answer my post about the console controller effectively killing off interesting geometries. So less of the hypocricy eh? :p

Edit: And I know you've read it. You've duly obliged with the facepalm. Kindly furnish with an intellectual counter-argument?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'll concede your point about MoH regen, but it doesn't matter, because Halo didn't have it (it had regenerating shields, but you still had health packs), and CoD: UO (a direct descendant of MoH) beat Halo 2 to health regen by three months. And for the record, the first FPS I can find with health regen is Delta Force: Land Warrior, which came out a good year or so before Halo. The earliest game on record with regenerating health is a Nintendo game called Punch-Out. From 1983... There's a handy guide here, and yes I did Google it.

So, have half a point for health. System Link? Not influential, not original, who gives a fuck? Sandbox? Nope. Two guns? Really? Not exactly progress. More a function of the limitations of a controller, so if Halo is influential in making things dumber, yeah, sure, why not? (NB. I also don't so auto-health regeneration as progress anyway, but we're talking influential rather than good...)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
...I'm still waiting for you to answer my post about...
Good luck with that, I'm still waiting for Aada to respond in the football thread since City got "reamed" a few weeks ago. :)

No doubt he'll show his face again when City win (or Utd, whoever he supports nowadays). It's probably Chelsea now, the way the league is shaping up.

[/offtopic]

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
And yet you completely ignored what I posted and went for that answer, lol that's you in a nut shell.

You got that version of MOH and umpteen other games yet? I'm waiting Billy Boy.

I'm at work so can't really be arsed to compile a list...but to play with you, here is a website http://www.giantbomb.com/regenerating-health/3015-83/

LAN - well, PCs, some time in the 70s/80s I guess I remember playing some LAN racing game on the school LAN in the late 80s/early 90s - Couldn't you also do it on a couple of games on the SNES?

Outdoor maps (sandbox as you like to call them, lol) - Tribes (1998)

Now that you have been shown to be wrong you can go back to screaming at 12 years olds about being fucking noobfaces on Xboxlive.

You're wrong, end of story.

Aada

Part of the furniture
I'll concede your point about MoH regen, but it doesn't matter, because Halo didn't have it (it had regenerating shields, but you still had health packs), and CoD: UO (a direct descendant of MoH) beat Halo 2 to health regen by three months. And for the record, the first FPS I can find with health regen is Delta Force: Land Warrior, which came out a good year or so before Halo. The earliest game on record with regenerating health is a Nintendo game called Punch-Out. From 1983... There's a handy guide here, and yes I did Google it.

So, have half a point for health. System Link? Not influential, not original, who gives a fuck? Sandbox? Nope. Two guns? Really? Not exactly progress. More a function of the limitations of a controller, so if Halo is influential in making things dumber, yeah, sure, why not? (NB. I also don't so auto-health regeneration as progress anyway, but we're talking influential rather than good...)

No points for 1 button nades and 1 button melee strikes either?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Just to seat myself on the fence; every FPS has influenced the genre as game devs look at a -lot- of FPS games for influence/ideas/etc. It's one massive evolution chain, not a pick'n'mix of this and that strain.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Magical head mounted grenade cannons are a terrible thing. Where is the strategy in that? Same with 1 button knife kills, zero risk. CS did it best, if you wanted to knife kill then be ready to be shot in the face.

The argument is about innovation across the genre, being able to LAN xboxes is pretty trivial in the development of the online shooter, or indeed solo FPS games. Its a non event. LAN has always been part of gaming.

Last edited:

Aada

Part of the furniture
Magical head mounted grenade cannons are a terrible thing. Where is the strategy in that? Same with 1 button knife kills, zero risk. CS did it best, if you wanted to knife kill then be ready to be shot in the face.

Raven you are missing the point good or bad Halo had an influence in those mechanics which is what me and Gaffer were talking about.

To this day almost every shooter made since Halo uses those mechanics it, even PC exclusive shooters use them.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Mmm, but again Halo wasn't the first use them.

Are you going to reply to mine and others points about open world maps, LAN and health regen though, I'm interested as to how you avoid the facts. Seeing as you brought it up and all...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No points for 1 button nades and 1 button melee strikes either?

How much evidence do you have to receive before you start answering other people's questions?

The majority of the posters on here have answered your questions and accusations - and all you do is shift your position - like you did with your above post. But you've still not had the good grace to answer anyone else.

Are you going to reply to mine and others points

I'd really like him to acknowledge (with something other than his coward's facepalm) my serious point about controllers and geometries.

Aada

Part of the furniture
I haven't missed the point. YOU (rather laughably) are on about Halo being an innovation. About being a leader and influencer in gaming terms.

It's just a PC game, that followed on from many other PC games, that was bought by Microsoft to launch Xbox.

The Xbox, of course, being just a cut-down PC for retards who couldn't be bothered with the faff of getting PC games to work.

The simple answer is this:

Halo is to Games as Xbox is to PC

i.e. Halo and Xbox are simple derivatives. Neither of them pushed any sort of boundaries - they stole ideas from elsewhere.

And I'd stop going on about other people not answering your direct questions. - I'm still waiting for you to answer my post about the console controller effectively killing off interesting geometries. So less of the hypocricy eh? :p

Edit: And I know you've read it. You've duly obliged with the facepalm. Kindly furnish with an intellectual counter-argument?

Long story short you are one of those bitter PC players that weren't happy Microsoft took Halo to consoles.

About the control thing? Why would I bother? Your opinion is that you prefer the keyboard more and you state that every time a thread is made about x & y console shooter or any other game you deem beneath the mighty PC control method.

Scouse, I honestly don't care now bugger off back to another thread where you goad people into getting into what you call "debate" with you. The Snowden thread comes to mind and a couple of people telling you to fuck off :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
Mmm, but again Halo wasn't the first use them.

Are you going to reply to mine and others points about open world maps, LAN and health regen though, I'm interested as to how you avoid the facts. Seeing as you brought it up and all...
Mmmm but again Halo influenced others to use them.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
What? Haha - that was not your point at all and even if it was, it is wrong. The reason you have 1 button grenades and knife attacks is because of the constraints of a controller, ie dumbing down. That is a bad innovation (I suggest you look the word up!) As for influence, the spice girls influence Girls aloud, hardly a good thing. Influence means shit.

Nobody gives a fuck about the Halo series being turned into a Xbox exclusive, the reason they did it is because Halo bombed on the PC. If it would have sold then they would have released it, they aren't stupid. As it was, there were far better PC shooters at the time.

I'll take that as a no then.

Last edited:

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
ok, so
Halo copied stuff, but its your point of origin of choice ?

im deciding, arbitrarily, that COD; MW 2 is the actual point of origin, its just as wrong, but as its "make shit up to suit your arguement" day, ive just won by default

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Long story short you are one of those bitter PC players that weren't happy Microsoft took Halo to consoles.

Not at all. I played Halo on the PC. It was an enjoyable singleplayer blast.

About the control thing? Why would I bother? Your opinion is that you prefer the keyboard more

Now you're flat out lying. I made a point about level design geometries - a point that one of the level designers on Goldeneye and Timesplitters (and many other console games) - happens to agree with.

I made that point about level design geometries in response to a direct question by you and I asked for comment on that point - which you are refusing to do.

It seems a shame that you're incapable of rational debate - rather than rampant fanboism.

Aada

Part of the furniture
What? Haha - that was not your point at all and even if it was, it is wrong. The reason you have 1 button grenades and knife attacks is because of the constraints of a controller, ie dumbing down. That is a bad innovation (I suggest you look the word up!) As for influence, the spice girls influence Girls aloud, hardly a good thing. Influence means shit.

Nobody gives a fuck about the Halo series being turned into a Xbox exclusive, the reason they did it is because Halo bombed on the PC. If it would have sold then they would have released it, they aren't stupid. As it was, there were far better PC shooters at the time.

I'll take that as a no then.

Halo didn't give us 1 button nades and 1 button melee first? What did?

Aada

Part of the furniture
Not at all. I played Halo on the PC. It was an enjoyable singleplayer blast.

Now you're flat out lying. I made a point about level design geometries - a point that one of the level designers on Goldeneye and Timesplitters (and many other console games) - happens to agree with.

I made that point about level design geometries in response to a direct question by you and I asked for comment on that point - which you are refusing to do.

It seems a shame that you're incapable of rational debate - rather than rampant fanboism.
Could you link me to this question?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Halo didn't give us 1 button nades and 1 button melee first? What did?

No, it didn't. Neither did it give us lan, health regen or open world maps

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I'm calling bullshit on the Halo starting console LAN business, me, my bro and 2 mates used to have 4 tv's and 4 Playstations set up around a living room and skirmished Command and Conquer together. If anything, WE started console LAN partys! Hohohoh!

inb4 I should've been playing it on a pc, I was like 10, stfu.

Aada

Part of the furniture
I'm calling bullshit on the Halo starting console LAN business, me, my bro and 2 mates used to have 4 tv's and 4 Playstations set up around a living room and skirmished Command and Conquer together. If anything, WE started console LAN partys! Hohohoh!

inb4 I should've been playing it on a pc, I was like 10, stfu.

I meant 16 player FPS on consoles and I already mentioned C&C on Playstation used to do it myself.

Halo popularised LAN on consoles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom