How much fakery do you use on yourself?

Suicidal Tart

Loyal Freddie
While reading through a health mag recently there was a small section on natural supplements for wrinkles and what to use to help reduce them etc.

One of them named DMAE apparently firms up your skin and has a positive impact on your mood.

Another (Collagen) encourages a faster turnover of cells and general skin health..

The mag seemed to rate each of them quite well but it got me thinking.

How far is too fake when it comes to your appearance and health?

I generally tend to look at it as though its ok to maintain (i.e. moisturise) but not to hide, for example to dye your hair-unless your a women, I guess :p !

The scenario that always comes to my head is that if you ever got stuck on a desert island (ha), your not going to have any hair dye and there wont be any botox needles growing from the trees either!

How far do you all go to maintain your appearance? What’s classed as going too far?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I use Bioterm on my fizace because it makes me feel good :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Normal "male grooming" and I moisturise. That's about it. I tried dyeing my hair once on holiday (I've been grey as a badger since I was 30) but I felt ridiculous so I haven't bothered again.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
What’s classed as going too far

for a male? just about everything other then shaving and getting a haircut to make sure your not getting your hair in your eyes :)

more then that and your crossing into sissyland :)

TdC

Normal "male grooming" and I moisturise. That's about it. I tried dyeing my hair once on holiday (I've been grey as a badger since I was 30) but I felt ridiculous so I haven't bothered again.

I don't know what normal grooming is. I'm lucky if I remember to shave/hairdresser heh.

On grey hair, I've been genetically programmed to go grey since I was 17 or so and always refused to dye my hair. Now that my beard is going grey I refuse to dye my hair even if I 'd want to, since that would make me look like George Baker or something :/

2293.jpg

nath

Fledgling Freddie
On grey hair, I've been genetically programmed to go grey since I was 17 or so and always refused to dye my hair. Now that my beard is going grey I refuse to dye my hair even if I 'd want to, since that would make me look like George Baker or something :/

just-for-men-gel-for-moustache-beard-&-sideburns-ash-brown.jpg

As for me - soap and water. As long as I don't look like a hobo and don't smell, I don't give a shit.

TdC

heh at the rate my beard grows, I'd need gallons of the stuff :/

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I have a rather metro-sexual regime that will no doubt invite some questions about my sexuality, but:

- Clinique for men shaving gel / Quattro titanium razor
- Neutrogena 2 n 1 pore cleansing face wash
- John Freida shampoo & conditioner
- Nivea for men body wash

and then:

- Boots No7 for men SPF 15 moisturiser
- Loreal collagen filler eye cream
- Vo5 matt clay on my hair (after drying and straightening)

Yes, yes, gay / poof / homo etc.

TdC

I was thinking more along the lines of American Psycho, but to each their own ;)

as for shaving, I used to simply love my Gillette sensor excel, but I'm using one version up from that when I actually do shave. Currently I use a trimmer without the guard on my face. It feels like shite but keeps the beard at a "one day stubble" length which I like.

Yoni's seen me with a 5 day beard, but she didn't say I looked like a pirate, which was slightly off-putting :/

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I

Is it any good, and what does it cost? I used the nivea q10 eye cream stuff for years, but it really did not do enough for my tired eyes.

As for the topic. I like to keep my skin in good condition. As I get older I am probably starting to buy into the idea of creams that keep my face looking younger etc. Not sure if I would dye my hair -just starting to get clumps of grey, more likely to colour it blonde/ red than use natural colours.

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
this is a real gray (pun) area, i do not mind going grey, i only wash my big b00bs i am supadick!

this was briought toi you by jake 9 yrs oldsx

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I've had grey hair since I was 18 and I've never dyed it. Hell, I've not cut it for nearly 5 years! On the plus side, I do have one hell of a wizard lock going from my temple, over my left ear and into my ponytail. Just the way my wife likes it. :)
TdC said:
Yoni's seen me with a 5 day beard, but she didn't say I looked like a pirate, which was slightly off-putting :/
Nothing wrong with a 5 day beard and looking like a pirate. Once again, having a few days beard growth is exactly what Mrs Zenith likes. :wub:

The only concession I make to vanity is applying baby moisturising lotion after a facewash or shave. It's non-perfumed, non-allergenic, stops the skin drying out and generally stops your face looking like Edward James Olmos.

edwardjamesolmos.jpg

Chilly

Balls of steel
I have a rather metro-sexual regime that will no doubt invite some questions about my sexuality, but:

- Clinique for men shaving gel / Quattro titanium razor
- Neutrogena 2 n 1 pore cleansing face wash
- John Freida shampoo & conditioner
- Nivea for men body wash

and then:

- Boots No7 for men SPF 15 moisturiser
- Vo5 matt clay on my hair (after drying and straightening)

Yes, yes, gay / poof / homo etc.

Fair enough most of it. But why the spf15 stuff? You a vampire?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Isn't the active ingredient in sun protection lotions a cancer causing agent itself? Wouldn't use that everyday.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Is it any good, and what does it cost? I used the nivea q10 eye cream stuff for years, but it really did not do enough for my tired eyes.

I can't remember the cost, but I used the Nivea too for a while but it was shite. It doesn't really help with tired eyes, but it definitely smooths the skin around the eye and makes my late 20's crows feet definitely a lot softer and less pronounced.

Fair enough most of it. But why the spf15 stuff? You a vampire?

It has SPF 15 in it by default, I don't specifically buy it for that but it moisturises and soothes very well indeed post shave.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
jarre_16521t.jpg

This man is 61. If I could look that young at 61, fuck it, I'd buy anything.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Isnt the OP clearly some kind of advert spambot for anti wrinkle shit?
Im a verey untrusting netizen these days.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
None, and lately(6 months or so) even the hedgeclippers and lawnmover have been in the shed.

Might use some deo on a hot day to keep the armpits more towards a light shower then a full blown niagara.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
For me, I don't think it's even worth getting out of bed unless you rub 22.7g of clotted cream all over your belly button.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
for a male? just about everything other then shaving and getting a haircut to make sure your not getting your hair in your eyes :)

more then that and your crossing into sissyland :)

Yep. I get my hair cut when it annoys me too much and it takes near-epic effort for anyone to shift me from my jeans n' t-shirt combo. I don't use deodorant because I shower properly every day, therefore I don't smell. More importantly, I can make it from mate-at-door to ready-for-pub in the time it takes for me to grab my house key.

The one concession is that I moisturise because I get (badly) dry skin sometimes, but if I didn't then you bet your ass I'd not touch it.

30 years ago deodorant was girly for men. It's a consequence of Capitalism - as we progress further along men will become androgynous, pussy-whipped girls who spend as much on personal appearance as women and will find themselves incapable of having strong opinions on anything of consequence.

But hey, as long as there's money in it, men shitting themselves over their appearence and developing disorders such as anorexia and image-related depression is a good thing, right?

Was this a bit much for a "dandyist" thread? ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Actually deo ain't for the smell for me, i like smelling of sweat and the ever important "male molecules" that attract girls.

I use it mainly to kill most of the sweat pour if i can be arsed to buy some.

Men are going towards a more "girly" generation and the lines between genders is fading. I say it's a shame, but hey, people do what they want. And no "it's not girly to want to look good" isn't an excuse :D

The moment i heard a 2 ton man crying to a woman, in a bar, "was it something i did, please don't leave me!" i knew that there was a turn in the wrong direction somewhere along the line :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Oh yeah, the usual malarky "if you use i, good for you, do what you want, not for me etc etc" applie here so that some girls can untwist their panties :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Aaahahahahahaha! You keep telling yourself that.

Actually it's rather a scientific fact that certain people find a certain feromone(or some such) attractive, while other find it repulsive.

It all has to do with blood types, matches etc...very natural way, the animal side in us.

Point in case;

no-one's impressed by a smelly bastard.

YOU are not impressed.

No one is talking about reeking of piss and shit here, but sweat contains some molecules that have been around for eons in animals, that attract the opposite sex.

Deodorants effectively kill this.

It's a balance thing.

So "ahahahahaha..etc" at you sir, in case anything more then "lol" doesn't 'cause any activity in your brain.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You can't use exceptions to justify an argument Gaff ;)

Yes, some people really do fucking stink. They think they wash correctly, but IMHO they don't.

Have you ever got into a shower, got out and realise your armpits still whiff a little bit? It's down to scrubbing. I've been unfortunate enough to live in shared houses with a couple of people who had bad BO and, frankly, they'd stink on the way OUT of the shower...

If there's a medical reason, then yes, but that's going to be such a tiny proportion of the population.

Either way, does it justify the self-obsessed nature of men nowadays? We know that anorexia nervosa was exclusively female just a few decades ago - now we have men who are so fucked up they get it too. - The rest of the male population exhibits behaviour that, a few years ago, would get them a good kicking. They think it's "healthy" but in reality it's just a less-extreme version of being motivated by terrible self esteem, stoked in the fires of manipulated consumer demand by people who put making a buck over the mental health of their neighbours.

It really doesn't matter how good you look (unless you're statistically in the top 2% of ugly bastards), you'll get a LOT more sex by being amusing, intelligent and genuine.

Also, if you preen, you'll attract women who love preeners - who tend to be shallow vacuous fucktards who deserve nothing more than an acid bath followed by a naked parade around town atop a giant rotating dog-shit-themed float :D

taB

Part of the furniture
Jeesus, I'm more of a metro gimp than I thought given some responses here!

I use:

roll-on deo
shower gel
toothpaste
e45 cream for my flakey forehead
toilet water if I'm going out to somewhere poncy

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Actually it's rather a scientific fact that certain people find a certain feromone(or some such) attractive, while other find it repulsive.

New Scientist said:
Though they are found across the animal world from insects to mammals, research into human pheromones has been dogged by flaky experimental designs and dubious commercial endorsements, with the result that the entire field has a whiff of the disreputable about it.

Yep, that's capitalism for ya. It's fooled Toht into thinking that pheromones have ever been conclusively linked to sexual attraction in humans by anyone other than the aforementioned "people who put making a buck over the mental health of their neighbours".

But hey, Toht, if you want to believe dodgy unproven theories that have never been backed up by proper experimental fact, then knock yourself out mate ;)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I shave my own head and trim my pubes sometimes when I'm bored, thats my grooming oh and I shave once a week.

I use moisturiser because I get hurty skin after shaving and as most of you know I use KoS stuff because its uber.

I shower most days and use anti-perspirant because I can be a sweaty bastard due to the pills I take.

I wear jeans and t-shirts and like Scouse it would take something like a wedding to get me out of them and even then under protest :eek:

Thats it, welcome to my world, its scruffy inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom