How could characters be improved?

J

Jonaldo

ok can we have a slightly more intelligent thread than the usual 'flame Mythic for screwing my char' thing.

People, think sensibly about your answers and put here what you think Mythic could realistically do to make rvr fairer for your character or another. 'Nerf this' 'gimped that' isn't usually helpful when constructive criticism is what is really needed.

I'll add my 2 cents worth later but at the moment I got a stinking cold and a bad headache so am not thinking very well :rolleyes:

Lets try and keep this a more formal and as 'nerf!' and 'gimped!' free :)

D

Danya

Give minstrels a useful role other than drumwhore. ;)
Either a longer range DD so I can sit at the back with the casters and be useful or better melee (duel wield maybe?) so I can go to the front line and hit stuff (currently it's more of a flail away ineffectually till some tank notices and starts hitting me for double my damage cap).
Also, make ae mez a 3s cast song (on flute) so you can cast while moving, minstrels aren't meant to stand still. ;)

F

froler-mid

ive said it before, say it again thou.

remove timer on lightning dd's on thane, and put a timer on mjollnir...

fix the stormcalling line. lvl 50 str buff is poo.

auto train in shield would be cool aswell ^^

my 2 cents.

K

krait

For Scouts the main things for me would be:-

1)Give us Chain Armour.

2)Give us better Melee.

3)Remove Stealth.

4)Reduce Bow damage and Shooting times.

It would stop so-called sniping,but would enable us to survive longer than 5 seconds once combat begins in RvR.
It's also a bit more viable in PvE groups,even though it's similar to Mercenaries.

Y

Yussef

Paladins are a defensive tank

How about gaining more parry/block rates when we level for free, maybe 2.5% every 10 levels or something.

O

old.Hellskor

maximum stun duration : 3 seconds

It's so annoying when you can't fight back. And "fights" were your opponent just stand there doing nothing aren't any challange -> boring

T

Tenko

Remove stealth all together from game.

Just make "Stealth" chars impossible to auto target with f8, see it click it target it.

More a "Move Silently" than an "Invisble in Broad Daylight at 2ft Range in a Flat Field".

Balance it off by keeping the spec points the same so higher alternate skills.

T

Turamber

Make it impossible to be repeatedly stunned in RvR.

Best change for RvR though wouldn't be to the characters ... it would be to have more maps, or a bigger location to do it in. Also change the milegate bottle neck systems. It turns RvR into camping exercises which are, for me at least, rather dull.

O

old.Hellskor

Originally posted by Tenko
Remove stealth all together from game.

Just make "Stealth" chars impossible to auto target with f8, see it click it target it.

More a "Move Silently" than an "Invisble in Broad Daylight at 2ft Range in a Flat Field".

Balance it off by keeping the spec points the same so higher alternate skills.

If the engine would support high grass, more bushes and so on, it would be good (e.g. Operation Flashpoint / Delta Force 2 ), but in the "empty" areas of DAoC, removing stealth would kill all these classes.
Gimme high-grass, more bushes and an option to go prone and
(... a M82A Barret or Dragunov ... a LAW Launcher ... <dreams off> and) I'll glady give up stealth.

C

case-rigantis

Minstrels should get Insta mez and insta stun same as other secondary MEz/stun classes ie: bards/skalds

remove minstrel stealth it`s pointless and doesn`t make sense

remove the need to constantly swap instruments: an instrument in backpack should allow use of songs

dual wield to offset out poor melee abilities

2 times spec points instead 1.5 to allow full spec in songs and primary weapons if desired

G

Glyph_mid

Turamber, you cant chainstun in RvR, so no worries there :)

Only class i would like to see upped abit would be paladins in RvR somehow as they are gods in PvE, the fixing block/parry rate will fix it in a couple of patches.
Cabalists as well, dont know much about them, so dont know what should be changed really, just know that fairly few play them.

S

SFXman

Originally posted by old.Hellskor
If the engine would support high grass, more bushes and so on, it would be good (e.g. Operation Flashpoint / Delta Force 2 ), but in the "empty" areas of DAoC, removing stealth would kill all these classes.
Gimme high-grass
The new engine in Shrouded Isles supports high grass and I can't wait to see what it will be like... they have areas where you have to "swim" or wade through grass...
Read my thread on the General Discussion board about the interview at HomeLAN.

M

Meatballs

Originally posted by case-rigantis
Minstrels should get Insta mez and insta stun same as other secondary MEz/stun classes ie: bards/skalds

bards are definitly not secondary mezzers, and neither bards nor skalds have instastun. (or stun at all). Minstrels doo have instastun.

Instas aren't the way to fix the game, look at IP what a silly idea that was. :rolleyes:

and minstrels drumwhoring is probably more fun than Mooooving! /stick Danyan :D

nerf truesight/see hidden/ip (id remove the last one from the game or make it so you die if you dont get a heal in a certain time)

give classes who have a hard time levelling something more to contribute to in groups, people shouldn't feel weighed down by other members.

nerf the new combat style system, I didn't think dragonfang was THAT good, till I realised I could dragonfang every round and back it up with garotte...

oh and give minstrels maybe a little something in instruments line to make up for see hidden or something cos they have it oh so rough! no really!

A

Arlone

A few things:

* Remove Ignore Pain OR keep it ONLY for main tanks for each realm

* Remove See hidden of course, or better yet why not let archers have see hidden instead? They do far less damage than any assasin anyway so that would make them usable atleast.

* Increase Endurace for meleers (mainly tanks). As it is now anyone can without problem get away from my Armsman cause we can all sprint for an equal ammount of time (minus the style I landed that made him run).

* Increase damage of PA and decrease damage of other styles for assasins (be sure to get rid of all fecking stun styles for sure). Assasins are ment to do quick and deadly attacks then run and restealth. they were not ment to solo armsmen/warriors without even landing a PA. Rediculously overpowered.

* Get rid of all 9 sec stuns. 5 sec would be more than enough for someone do gain a slight advantage and the stunned person will still have a chance to fight back.

Ehm, these were not classimprovement directly but if you change one class (eg. nerf) alot of others can get 'better' without changing them. Could probably come up with alot more changes I'd like to see but I'm just dreaming.

S

SFXman

* Remove See hidden of course, or better yet why not let archers have see hidden instead? They do far less damage than any assasin anyway so that would make them usable atleast.
I actually like this idea, makes a lot more sense considering the RP tables...

O

old.Jeriraa

Make bow damage range based! A shot at maximum range wont do much damage. A shot at close range would pierce any armor and go right through the target.

M

Meatballs

^ give it to archers? how would anyone kill them then? infiltrators get shot to pieces if they get truesighted e.g. I come through milegate, revminster truesights, 2 shots, Im dead! 2 shots! I don't usually kill a caster in 2 shots... not saying nerf archers anymore but jeez dont give em see hidden :p

* Increase damage of PA and decrease damage of other styles for assasins (be sure to get rid of all fecking stun styles for sure). Assasins are ment to do quick and deadly attacks then run and restealth. they were not ment to solo armsmen/warriors without even landing a PA. Rediculously overpowered.

stun is a quick and deadly attack form. and we are already on a lower damage table than pure melees. Increasing damage of pa would be a bit silly & removing stun on creeping death, people would just spec to 21cs and then spec to 40+ dw etc.

plus armsmen/paladins get stuns in shield/polearm/crush/slash/2hand. Friars in staff line, mercs in thrust and dual wield.

Is there any meleers who cant spec for a stun?

* Get rid of all 9 sec stuns. 5 sec would be more than enough for someone do gain a slight advantage and the stunned person will still have a chance to fight back.

if you do get rid of 9 sec stuns (and 11 secs <looks at the nasty healers> ;) ) you'd need to remove determination/purge etc which can already reduce a 9 sec stun to 5 secs/nothing.

O

old.Kladen

Originally posted by krait
For Scouts the main things for me would be:-

1)Give us Chain Armour.

2)Give us better Melee.

3)Remove Stealth.

4)Reduce Bow damage and Shooting times.

It would stop so-called sniping,but would enable us to survive longer than 5 seconds once combat begins in RvR.
It's also a bit more viable in PvE groups,even though it's similar to Mercenaries.

that is jsut a mercenary with better bow, and no duelweild.

and abotu paladins. they should get natural increase in magic resists so they can be named castersbane.

also they should get immunity to Critical strike styles.

E

erl

For hunters:

remove see hidden/true sight from the game.

Maybe cap our stealth at 30 spec so the assassins get a benefit from their detect hidden skill.

Give us evade 3 like the other archers.

Give us speccable parry (maybe auto train) to maybe get us on par with rangers in melee (as it is now rangers are stronger than us in melee with less spec points spent, and they have better bow. Tests has been made on this, no need to comment it)

Make our charm a "summon pet" or let us charm more things than just animals and insects (can't find a pet at all in the alb frontier if you don't go to snowdoina, I think, and that's quite a bit).

There, not overpowering and will bring us up to par with the other archers.

T

Turel Haven

For Paladins...

More HP. For a class with CON as its primary attribute, we should have the highest base HP in the Realm. It would also fit in with the "defensive tank" idea. And why in god's name is PIE our secondary attribute?! We only use it for lousy ghetto rezzes! It should have been STR instead... <grumbles>

Flesh out the Chants line so it isn't so... crap. Either make the higher level Chants more desirable, or make it so its like Envenom: A +chants item would allow you to use a higher level of chant. And please please please make Heal Chant work out of combat. Please.
Another idea would be to somehow get rid of the twisting ability we have, and narrow the chant line to an Offensive chant (The Damage add chant plus, say, an attack speed buff), and a Defensive chant (The AF Chant and the Heal chant). This would make them far more effective in RvR, and even more useful in PvE (although the PvE side is good as it is). To offset this goodness, it could cost a little bit of power every pulse or something.
A DD or Debuff of some kind wouldn't go amiss either, to help offset our rather crap melee damage. That would also make up for having to spec in Chants rather than Melee skills.

An autotrain on shield/parry would be nice as well, but that is probably asking too much.

There's not actually that much fundamentally wrong with the Paladin, it's just that our skills were implemented rather poorly.

T

Turamber

Umm 2 posters have said that ... maybe I'm wrong. But I could swear I've stood like a lemon being repeatedly stunned while casters nuke hell out of me. Not the kind of thing one forgets :)

In PvE you can use different stuns on mobs, and that works fine - does that really not work in RvR?

R

Roo Stercogburn

"Just because you are a character, doesn't mean you have character."

Harvey Keitel, Pulp Fiction.

Point is, its often how you play it, not what you're given.
Having said that...

For Spirit Masters: make the coming rez ability baseline. Pure support ability and has no effect or benefit during combat.

OR

Put some actually group friendly spells on the Spirit Enhancement line. Then having a rez on that line is worth having since there are other things worth getting too. Atm, not many SMs spec summoning above 4. Group friendly things appropriate to class would be possibly things like group damage shield or group damage absorb.

Let SMs choose what they summon. Saves resummoning over and over just to get a pet with the right weapon for the type of enemy you know you're going to meet.

Greater range of options for controlling pet:

Set pet to guard someone else, other than SM.
Set pet to react when ANYONE in group is attacked, not just SM.
Set pet to patrol in pattern around SM.

Allow pet to carry things. If pet is killed, items dropped on ground

Groups would like pet more, because it could be set to guard healers.

Remove the focus required for damage shield. Fine you can't cast other spells, but having to stand still at the same time is ridiculous and makes it unusable in Rvr.

U

umilard

* Remove see hidden! but keep true sight for archers..

* Remove IP except for warriors/heroes/armsmen..

* Greatly reduce the duration for healers AEstun (5-6sek) ?

*Give blademasters/berzerkers/mercenarys some snare or something, so it won't be so easy to run away from them.

* put all assassins on a special hptable.. that lowers hp with 200 or so at level 50..

Dunno about hibcasters stun really.. sure.. 9 seconds is ALOT but if they didn't have the stun, they would need something else, maybe reduce the stuntimer to 6 seconds and increase damage abit?

O

old.linnet

1. fix interrupts (stunned creatures should NOT be able to interrupt)

2. fix stupid bug that songs cancel when started just as a mob dies

3. rework weapon styles. Thrust is not great if you are a minstrel who can't train shield and doesn't evade much, as its best styles chain off block/evade. But it does play to our high dex. Ideally each weapon training class should have a class specific set of weapon styles (like infils do with CS)

For minstrels:

Let instruments autoswitch when used, the interface is a pain

Give us a reason to spec stealth: either a critical attack from stealth (like all other stealthers), or the ability to use songs at a reduced level when stealthed. Could handle see hidden if I could move faster than the assassins. (I don't think minstrel stealth is useless as it is, but I hate that it is mutually exclusive with every other ability we have)

If we must have AE mez and a demez, put them on the flute. Minstrels need to keep moving, we are not casters.

Reduce endurance and power cost of shouts, they are ridiculous for the amount of they (don't) do, especially with resists. And shouits were supposed to balance out lack of melee damage by letting us front load it. Well, that does little good against epic armour and resists, just means the minstrels endsd up out of end and power fairly early into the fight.

(I loved the suggestion someone made on the vault of giving minstrels envenom. That would rock and would likely cure any damage issues, but can't see it ever happening)

E

erl

Got one more thing for all the pet users, make that pat react to the attack command when in passive mode! That they don't has gotten me killed a couple of times and confused numerous times. I just forget its passive and hit the attack button like crazy :p

O

old.Noita

Im pretty happy with my SM especially with the upcoming changes in later patch(es). However, I would like to see casters of ALL realms have a little more defence against assassins, we are after all a PRIMARY assassin target and with lev 50 infis and NSs typically totally invisible until the caster is either dead or close to then only with a massive amount of luck (ie. the assassin misses their stun style, you can qc a mezz or root AND click "passive" to stop your pet attacking the assassin and breaking it all within 2 seconds or so) will you stand any chance of surviving the encounter.

I think the pbAoEdd SM spell to come could have been a life tap (more in line with the character) and the life tap could heal all members of the group in range of the SM.

Ability to summon different classes of spirit is something I've been banging on about for ages, summon a skald, shaman, hunter, tank or something.

Fix the "defensive" pet breaking mezzed mobs FFS! This was supposed to have been fixed in the last 2 patches I believe, has it been... NO! Fix it dammit!

Make the summoning line worth speccing in, at the moment (I know some will disagree but what the hell its only my opinion) its the most useless waste of code in the game probably. There is absolutely NOTHING in specc line Summoning worth having, ok so theres a ghetto rez coming... whooppee!

Reduce the power cost for life transfer, its bad enough getting down to under 20% HPs trying to heal people but having a large power cost as well is a bit of a double punch in my opinion.

Apart from that nothing really springs to mind at the moment.

Toodle pip :)

PS oh yeah... when we get attacked by say... an archer and we have bubble up... pet will not react to the attack, even if we get injured by the attack because its the bubble that is the first first attacked not us, only if the archer hits us a second time does the pet go looking for it by which time its often too late. BTW... can anyone tell me what the range on scout/ranger/hunter bows is please.

F

Fafnir

Originally posted by Turamber
Umm 2 posters have said that ... maybe I'm wrong. But I could swear I've stood like a lemon being repeatedly stunned while casters nuke hell out of me. Not the kind of thing one forgets :)

In PvE you can use different stuns on mobs, and that works fine - does that really not work in RvR?

Happened to me last nite at DC. First stun nuke slam nuke stun nuke dead.

And give envenom and traps to hunters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom