Headscarves Vote

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
xane you seem to "dislike" religion a bit :)

Religion can bring people together, and can be a force for good in this and other ways. The problem is that it instills the same fears into people's minds, so that they become subject to mob mentality. And like xane said, humans rely a lot on what other people think, so this gathering and group-hating is somewhat inevitable.
But don't succumb to the illusion that a moral is "right" and "universal" and values are mere folly. Morals - the unquestionable values - are fashionable, and vary from group to group. I personally believe that there are basic ideas (coo gosh, another term) that each person should cherish, however if I were to tell you these - what would make me different to an extremist ? I'm just passing on my views the best way I can, maybe without the knowledge that I know that my values can do harm as well as good. Can you hate someone for taking their best guess ?
I take neitehr extreme, so don't go there: terrorists should neither be strung up nor invited into your house for tea and cake (possibly biscuits), and none each of us to give up our own beliefs. It's from this same point that the idea of democracy was extracted. Religion and this kind of middle way - neither forcing your views (another!) on someone else, nor giving up your own - don't seem to have a way to go together. This is why I have such respect for Buddhist religion/philosophy.

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
Mazling said:
I personally believe that there are basic ideas (coo gosh, another term) that each person should cherish, however if I were to tell you these - what would make me different to an extremist ? I'm just passing on my views the best way I can, maybe without the knowledge that I know that my values can do harm as well as good. Can you hate someone for taking their best guess ?

The problem though is that people who cherish their beliefs then also believe that their version is the ONLY version, hence the crusades, jihad, suicide bombing etc etc.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Played Staz very true. The Church Of England on the other hand prefers to tolerate other religions far more, and thus becomes very ineffectual and extremely undersubscribed as it dilutes everything it believes in to suit as many people as possible and be as "inclusive" as it can. Unfortunately all this seems to do its exclude the very kind of person it once appealed to, without gaining any new support! Gay vicars on the way ! :)
Perhaps most people who require organised religion are also the kind of people who require extreme rules, jihads etc.
Funny old world innit.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
What it boils down to is one thing:

Nutters.

They're everywhere. And just because they use religion as an excuse doesn't mean that religion in itself is a bad thing. They're just latching onto something mainstream.

In the end, its the lunatics who want to run the asylum.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
throdgrain said:
The Church Of England on the other hand prefers to tolerate other religions far more,

You mean like the way it insists only CofE Archbishops and Bishops can sit (unelected) in the Upper House and that the Monarch muct be CofE and cannot marry outside it ?

When you have a stranglehold on your current community, it probably pays to appear to be a little "tolerant".

Yes, very tolerant indeed, not to mention very democratic as well :rolleyes:

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Still pretty wet compared to Islamic Jihad mate, or indeed even to the Roman Catholics.
But look how many people are at thier services each sunday. Half a dozen per church ?
bear in mind, I couldnt give a fuck ,merely an observation.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
I'm personally in favour of taking religion out of schools. But then Im an atheist so I would say that.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Staz, I covered what you said in the next paragraph, read on a bit why not :D

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
I think the people against this law are over-emphasing the Muslim head scarf thing, when the law applies to all religious material. Such a law would be inopperable for where I live, dozens of turbans would disapear from my school and I doubt the guys would take too kindly to having pony tails.

PR.

Fledgling Freddie
So does this actually apply to Turbans?

My Grandfather hated the Japanese for what they had done to him during his time as a POW in Japan. My Gran even moved her account when her bank became HSBC (A Japanese company). My Dad and many of his age refer to Pakistanis as 'Pakis' and play on the stereotypes of their lifestyles.

When I went to school we were in a multicultural school most of the school signs were in multiple languages, I'd seen many different religious symbols for the first time when I went to lower school, I asked what they were and was told it was for their religion and me personally never being religious accepted it. I never felt oppressed by it, it never made me feel uncomfortable, we had two brothers in our lower school who had Downs Syndrome they were kept in mainstream classes and always had a carer/assistant with them, I always felt oppressed by them I felt sorry for them but their unpredictability made me nervous. Even just typing that makes me feel guilty its not their fault I would never want to see them chucked out of the school simply because they made me feel uncomfortable.

Any way straying from the topic, as you may guess I don't see a problem with the scarves, turbans, crosses or any other type of religious sign

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
PR. said:
My Gran even moved her account when her bank became HSBC (A Japanese company).

Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corporation. Last time I looked, neither were in Japan! HSBC is Anglo-Chinese. Looks like Granny was misinformed :rolleyes:

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Frankly they should just stick all school children in identical grey uniforms.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
DaGaffer said:
Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corporation. Last time I looked, neither were in Japan! HSBC is Anglo-Chinese. Looks like Granny was misinformed :rolleyes:

That gave me intense lol :). I'm glad someone else pointed that out before i posted the "congrats on your retarded post" picture.

G

Mofo8

Fledgling Freddie
MYstIC G said:
Frankly they should just stick all school children in identical grey uniforms.

I couldn't agree more. When I went to school, our school uniform was a horrible and unflattering jobby brown colour (for non Scots speakers, that's a shitey kinda shade of brown). Bloody horrible!

I think this headscarves thing is just the French Government flexing their muscle a wee bit. They like to separate Church and State, and although the ban extends to all religious articles worn (like crucifixes, etc), they do seem to be making a point of hammering Islam.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Religion is for tards who need it to be able to feel young kids up.

All imho of course!

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
suffer the little childeren and all that jazz. ooh err matron!!1

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Mofo8 said:
and although the ban extends to all religious articles worn (like crucifixes, etc), they do seem to be making a point of hammering Islam.

Apparently not, it's just overtly religious symbols. As far as I know, people wearing subtle crucifixes on a necklace say, will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom