Headscarves Vote

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Trem said:
Aye, why not?
basic human rights, thats why.

I am not religious in any way, hell i hate all religions whit a passion, but people should be free to practice their religion aslong as it doesnt interfere with other people.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
sibanac said:

I am not religious in any way, hell i hate all religions whit a passion, but people should be free to practice their religion aslong as it doesnt interfere with other people.

But the conflict here is it MAY be interfering with other people.

A prime example of religion getting shoved in faces:

Orange Walk - One set of religion marching through the streets inhabited by an alternative religion.

Sorry - but no; just not on.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
sibanac said:

Unfortunately, displays of religion do interfere with other people and (in some extreme cases) cause violent clashes with innocent parties.

There was a bloke in Glasgow who had his throat cut for wearing a celtic strip, which you could say was an indication of catholicism. It turns out it was a religiously aggravated attack. Hence why, all religious symbols are (unfortunately) not good to have on show.

G

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
sibanac said:

In this case the argument goes that it does - do young moslem girls have any say in wearing the Hajib or is it their fathers/brothers? Since you can't be sure its their choice and not imposed on them, you take the option away and 'level the playing field' for everyone. There's no obligation in the Koran to wear the damn thing anyway - so its not part of 'practicing one's religion'

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
sibanac said:

It's my basic human right to walk through our town centre with my trousers around my ankles and "fuck me" tatooed on my cock. However I think I might get arrested :/

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Big G said:
Unfortunately, displays of religion do interfere with other people and (in some extreme cases) cause violent clashes with innocent parties.

There was a bloke in Glasgow who had his throat cut for wearing a celtic strip, which you could say was an indication of catholicism. It turns out it was a religiously aggravated attack. Hence why, all religious symbols are (unfortunately) not good to have on show.

G

Just a little aside on this one Big G. Not sure if it was the same case, but a similar incident happened to someone who was simply wearing a GREEN top (NOT A Celtic strip). Ironically, the guy stabbed did not even follow football.

old.user4556

Result :clap:

I long for the day it's introduced here.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Big G said:

G

the problem here is the religious hatred, and yes samething should be done about that.
But if the solution is takeing away peoples civil libertys then I'd rather live with the problem.

I used to have a mohawk, and got beaten up by jackboot skinheads for it more then once, so the solution is to ban mohawks.

religion is a culture and there are always extreemists that will take cultural clashes to violence. thats that mean we should do away with all difrent cultures and only allow one state aproved culture ?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
~Yuckfou~ said:
It's my basic human right to walk through our town centre with my trousers around my ankles and "fuck me" tatooed on my cock. However I think I might get arrested :/

Post of the day.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Although you would only fit fu on your widger Yuck.

Man why didn't that witty, classy remark strike me while I posted the post above:(

old.user4556

sibanac said:
the problem here is the religious hatred, and yes samething should be done about that.
But if the solution is takeing away peoples civil libertys then I'd rather live with the problem.

I used to have a mohawk, and got beaten up by jackboot skinheads for it more then once, so the solution is to ban mohawks.

religion is a culture and there are always extreemists that will take cultural clashes to violence. thats that mean we should do away with all difrent cultures and only allow one state aproved culture ?

I never said anything about doing away with cultures, but a step in the right direction is to remove the cause of it. One way would be to prevent all religious symbols in in the public view, in the same way that all video cameras are banned from school nativity plays to prevent paedophilia.

Is it the right way to do it? Maybe not, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Having gone to a Catholic school who flew the tricolor from the bus window on the way home from school, I've seen what that provokes. If that has been disallowed, then perhaps we wouldn't have had the brick thrown through the bus window.

G

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Trem said:
Although you would only fit fu on your widger Yuck.

Man why didn't that witty, classy remark strike me while I posted the post above:(
:kissit:

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Big G said:
Having gone to a Catholic school who flew the tricolor from the bus window on the way home from school, I've seen what that provokes. If that has been disallowed, then perhaps we wouldn't have had the brick thrown through the bus window.

G
So everytime some minoraty gets violent about samething it should be banned ?

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
There's a whole poopload of hate in the world today, over religion. The quicker all this faffing about over meaningless, non existant crap (My opinion!) is over, the better. I just hope that, some time in the future, everyone decides that all religions are dick.

Edit - Sorry about the rather excessive swearing. Bad day :(

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
not just religion :( I fear that people will find excuses to brutalise each other no matter what.

personally I'm pleased with the hs ban. I can't remember kids at the schools I've been to wearing them (or other overt symbols) but I do remember said schools having all kinds of different folk and people got along more or less. today I wonder what the hell is going on when I hear of teachers being killed by pupils and suchlike shiteness. :/

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
What people forget over the whole debate - the Koran doesn't even say that women are supposed to wear headscarves, burkha's etc.

It's just some old men playing politician on the backs of children.

Religious symbols should stay out of schools, simply because young children are just naive - and gullible enough to believe all the crap about heaven and hell, angels and satan (that includes the Jewish, Muslim, Hindu and Buddhism pendants). They should be taught moral values, though - which is alot more important than being able to quote Matthew 14/1 etc.

I was brought up Catholic and vividly remember church visits, staring at the life-size crucified Jesus and various saints in various states of torture (... excuse me, martyrdom)... honestly believing that those creepy statues were looking straight back at me.

Why are there so many youth organizations founded by churches?
Because that's were the easy prey is.

Hey-ho! Today we are exploring the great outdoors! Campfires and songs! Loads of fun! Oh, and by the way - Father xxx told us what awaits us in hell if we do bad stuff!!11

So - ner... I am happy that the US clearly seperate church and state (at least in the northern states :eek: ).

Vive la France!11111:p

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
[tuppence]

The ban is a good idea and it riles me to think that the Muslim lobby has hijacked it to suit their own ends. As someone already mentioned its ALL religious symbols, not just Muslim ones. The French, bless 'em, are right to try and preserve the "country before religion" ideal, which to my mind would lead to more healthy integration of cultures anyway.

Wish we would do the same.

[/tuppence]

GekuL

Fledgling Freddie
The whole of this issue in a way suggests why the ban is a good thing. All overt religious symbols are to be banned, yet it is as though only the islamic one matters. :/

All secondary schools I know of require the students to wear a uniform. Why should this not include religious symbols or headscarfs?

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
In my opinion in religious conflicts the only reason religion is involved is usually because religion is a good 'line to draw'. If religion didn't exist people would have chosen the next easy difference to note. An example being the 'punks & skinheads' which someone (sibanac?) mentioned.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I reckon they should be banned - the girls at the school I went to wore them more as fashion accessories than any religious garb. I'm pretty sure it's the same in France.
Religion has no place in school anyway, except religious studies.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Religion is responsible for this, religion did that, blah blah (sorry).

Basically, its not religion thats the problem, its nutters who cause the trouble. They just use religion as a convenient excuse to set their own lunatic agenda.

The French have it right, but its not something that could happen here, we still have a monarchy.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Tom said:
Religion is responsible for this, religion did that, blah blah (sorry).

Basically, its not religion thats the problem, its nutters who cause the trouble. They just use religion as a convenient excuse to set their own lunatic agenda.

The French have it right, but its not something that could happen here, we still have a monarchy.

It's nutters who came up with religion in the first place.
"Ga! Look! Tree on fire! Some, uhm... god must be, ahm.. angry! And... the god is angry... because... because.. *inspiration particle hits brain of cavemen #1* Because you aren't paying me, his servant, the proper respect/taxes/virgins!!"

So, ner. Religion was used to cow people from the very beginning.
Play with their fears, promise them something they cannot possibly ever achieve (paradise/bunches of horny virgins etc.) and they'll willingly follow you into your choice crusade/jihad.

Cyfr

Banned
Uncle Sick said:
They should be taught moral values, though - which is alot more important than being able to quote Matthew 14/1 etc.

Thou shall gifv money up unto krypt, John chapter 12 4!

*Anything I say is imo so don't kill me if I say something I shouldn't :(*

On a serious note, im happy that the Frenchies have done this as it will help relations between children, imo. If you want to break this rule then go to a country that allows the symbols because the law is for every other religion too and they don't seem to be making a fuss.

Cyfr

Banned
Uncle Sick said:
No money, but you can have my old headscarf.

Is it blue and yellow? Will fit my armour well on PS.. a blind shot might make me better..

nath

Fledgling Freddie
The islamic headscarves thing seems to be the main focus of the news, the thing that sticks in my mind when I hear this is the issue of Turbans. Afaik, the sikh (sp?) religion states that they can never take it off. Because of this, I think that's a more important issue than islamic headscarves which seem to be optional.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Interesting point Nath.

I think for the non-religious is quite easy to see headscalves and turbans as 'accessories' - which they may well be - but they're still a pretty integral part of that person's life, regardless of why they originally started wearing it.

Although overall I think it's a good idea, there's going to be a lot of very vunerable feeling children going into school when this takes affect.
Incidently, I've also never worn anything 'big' in the religious symbolism stakes, I was brought up Christian and still wear a discrete cross, but nothing that identifies me, as such. So again, I don't pretent to understand the connection with these larger symbols.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
nath said:
The islamic headscarves thing seems to be the main focus of the news, the thing that sticks in my mind when I hear this is the issue of Turbans. Afaik, the sikh (sp?) religion states that they can never take it off. Because of this, I think that's a more important issue than islamic headscarves which seem to be optional.

Are they compulsory for sikh's? Cos tbh they have to wear somethin to deal with their uncut hair.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Religious symbols should stay out of schools, simply because young children are just naive - and gullible enough to believe all the crap about heaven and hell, angels and satan (that includes the Jewish, Muslim, Hindu and Buddhism pendants).
I think you'll find that Buddhism and Buddhists are, almost without exception, accepted with open arms wherever you may go. Basically because it's not really a religion - it doesn't make any claims about supreme beings or whatnot. There's no "I'm right, you're wrong" stuff involved really. Won't go into it.

I must say I agree that the french decision to ban overt religious symbols in schools is a step in the right direction ... though I think it'll only be a temporary "fix". People will have to stop using religion as a lasso to round up their own kind and to follow a cause that is convenient for them, to not bother tolerating different ideologies. The fear that not living a certain way will bring the wrath of your [G/g]od unto you should compel you a bit towards living that way, and those whom are different well, I'm sure we've noticed the word "infidel" bandied about a bit these days. (incidentally that is why buddhists is accepted more easily by their neighbours)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom