News Greece - Time to cut them off?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Well to be fair the offer from EU is equivelant of someone showing up and demanding you pay back money that was lent to your landlord to buy a failing business in your town because some other businesses in another town didnt want to slow their profits

I completely understand the no vote, im not happy about it because it likely means problems for rest of us in eurozone but i get it (and i would be pissed too)

Embattle

FH is my second home
Don't borrow money you can't afford to payback and don't lend money you can't afford to lose.

I reckon Syriza are full of shit but then that is the party that was elected by the people so tough.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
As someone who hasn't followed this as closely to some this is basically what i've come to the conclusion of so far

- Greece enjoyed a tax free lifestyle for many years
- Their country has sunk as a result of this
- They were given bailout money to help fix things
- They didn't fix shit and are now refusing to pay it back
- They still expect more money for free without having to pay it back on creditor terms

I do believe this meme sums up most (not all) of Europe's thoughts on Greece right now. It's sad really because the government has failed the people of Greece yet again.

55061958.jpg

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
It doesn't matter who's fault it is and blame can easily be put on both sides, but this is a disaster for the EU, a monetary union that has failed it's first obstacle and is held together by wet string anyway.
They won't leave though, never going to happen, Merkel has allready ruled it out no matter what.
You have to remember that 90% of the money loaned to Greece was used to pay off the banks who badly loaned it in the first place, so they were basically paying themselves out of the shit, while loading billions more onto Greek people.
It's like your bank, finding out you can't pay a loan and taking out a loan themselves to pay it off and saying..'ok, that extra debt interest and loan is now your problem'.
That's why the Greek government is digging it's heels in because they are taking the hit for a giant ponzi scam and every creditor is covering their losses at Greeks expense, using government loans to bail THEM out, much like we bailed our banks out.

Last edited:

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
It doesn't matter who's fault it is and blame can easily be put on both sides, but this is a disaster for the EU, a monetary union that has failed it's first obstacle and is held together by wet string anyway.
They won't leave though, never going to happen, Merkel has allready ruled it out no matter what.

Ruled it out perhaps but i'm sure I read the EU would pull the Euro out of Greece.... what would that make them? a member state but without an actuall currency.... hows that work?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It makes them a country with their own currency... I believe this was the case before they joined the EU.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
As someone who hasn't followed this as closely to some this is basically what i've come to the conclusion of so far

- Greece enjoyed a tax free lifestyle for many years
- Their country has sunk as a result of this
- They were given bailout money to help fix things
- They didn't fix shit and are now refusing to pay it back
- They still expect more money for free without having to pay it back on creditor terms

I do believe this meme sums up most (not all) of Europe's thoughts on Greece right now. It's sad really because the government has failed the people of Greece yet again.

55061958.jpg

On the flip side, they were coerced into joining a monetary union in the 00s, they were given goals and such to stick to, they didn't, because it's not realistic in their culture to do what they were being asked to do, so they winged it, until the crash, and it hit them seriously hard.

You can't apply German economics and ethics to country that hasn't got anywhere near a similar work ethic, it's just not realistic.

The Greek Government didn't fail the people, the Greek people failed the Government. The deal when joining the Euro was that they changed their ethics, they took the money, but didn't change their attitude.

Imagine if they declined to enter the Euro and they saw countries similar to theirselves such as Spain boom and do so well, that Government would be deemed as criminals.

The power of hindsight.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Never should be here like the irish and spanish. Let them leave.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The point of the monetary union joining requirements was that countries with dodgy balance sheets couldn't get in, and spending rules once in meant they couldn't be in a crash position.
The problem is the books were fudged to let greece in ( and everyone knew and looked the other way ), and spending rules were bent once they were in as well.

So now they're in a monetary union where they can't set their own interest rates, they cant print money, they are handcuffed to a decade or more of harsh austerity and whose unemployment rates are worse than post soviet bloc eastern european countries.

6NfmQ.jpg

Job

There is now hardline talk from German politicians , who seem to run the EU now, of cutting them off, what utter scandelous bullshit, seriously...cut them off..invite them into the Euro...bankrupt them and then throw an entire country into quite possible anarchy, that'd look good, wouldn't it.
EU can't even fix one tiny country, so they throw it away and the world watches it self destruct live on tv in hd.
Nope, the EU will back down and then every country will want a piece of the fuk u EU pie.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I think the germans call it extrawurst.
Apparently we british get a lot of it.

Job

Ha, only a matter of time before Merkel appears on TV with a small moustache announcing.
'Zat you are all useless, ve vill take ova za continent and run it liks za clockwork'.
You know they want to.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Russia to loan a massive wedge to Greece in exchange for Greece leaving Europe and allowing Russian military units to stay in Greece.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I was talking to someone a couple of weeks ago actually who said that Putin would be rubbing his hands together waiting for Greece to fall out of the EU so Russia could step in and "save" them.

Job

You do realise that the EU was created by Germany and France, setup of course to ensure maximum advantage to their cosy twosome.
Nothing changes except all those pesky basket case countries, like annoying children are spending daddies money.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Annnd the Finance minister was fired... or as the news is calling it 'forced to quit' guess he'll be trotting off to work at Steam again.

Job

Yes and he actually believed in Europe, the new guy is a Trotsky anti Eu'er.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
You do realise that the EU was created by Germany and France, setup of course to ensure maximum advantage to their cosy twosome.
Nothing changes except all those pesky basket case countries, like annoying children are spending daddies money.

Did you know that in germany the EU is often portrayed as an Anglo-French institution setup to block german industry? And in france its seen as a Germanic-Anglo organisation to block french power...

Job

So it's our fault both times.

CIu-x-IUwAAfhXf.jpg

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
So he's the bastard to blame for the Steam market ... I must resist paying overpriced money for cosmetic items ... :eek:

I think he ran DOTA2 or some shit for Steam, I forget which tbh... had something to do with CS:GO too iirc.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I really don't see the Greeks being offered any more than what was essentially already offered, the idea the Greek government is planning to ask for a haircut at the dame time rejecting the requirement to reduce its expenditure is laughable.

Job

This is the front page of the Bild , encouraging Merkel to take a stand against the Greeks, that quite simply says it all about German's inherent desire to push it's culture over Europe.

CJTF4aQW8AEllUj.jpg

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
By wanting their money back, you mean? Fucking Germans, expecting loans to be repaid.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Loans that went direct to german businesses not to the people of greece, somehow greece has been portrayed as the bad guy in all of this when in reality they are little more than a patsy

But it plays nicely into the "hardworking northern europe vs lazy southerners"

Also isnt Bild the german Daily Maily?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom