News Greece - Time to cut them off?

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Just put the entire Greece population to work.

Tsipras: Yeah, we haven't got any money, but decided to put our entire population into slave labor until we have paid our debt.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
This goes right to the heart of Europe, it's goals and the forces that shape it.
Grexit is untenable...an absolute apocolypse, seriously, Greek migrants turning up in boats because their country has been ruined by the EU.
Doesn't matter who's to blame, but to recklessly lend money to a basket case economy, pile debt on debt to regain profits, then throw a country that is the cornerstone of civilisation to the wolves is beyond all measure of disasterous.
The Germans talk of humanitarian aid, wtf are they thinking.
There is no way out, the fundamental fault with the Euro has started a crack in Greece.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
5036609830_end_is_near_785574_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
This goes right to the heart of Europe, it's goals and the forces that shape it.
Grexit is untenable...an absolute apocolypse, seriously, Greek migrants turning up in boats because their country has been ruined by the EU.
Doesn't matter who's to blame, but to recklessly lend money to a basket case economy, pile debt on debt to regain profits, then throw a country that is the cornerstone of civilisation to the wolves is beyond all measure of disasterous.
The Germans talk of humanitarian aid, wtf are they thinking.
There is no way out, the fundamental fault with the Euro has started a crack in Greece.

Cornerstone of civilization?

Job

Junker takes Oxi banner off Farage..
farage1_3368466b.jpg

greece-jancker_3368262b.jpg

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I wish he would stop putting my flag in front oh himself too.

Job

Yes, and that's why we voted him to represent the UK in Brussels.

Job

Just read a good article on the Grexit consequences, the simple basic problem is if Greece exits and therefore defaults every debt, it has no way of paying in Drachmas, then the creditors will take a huge hit and start pulling money out of every country in the EU with similar problems,( most of them) and with hours the Eurozone could be in meltdown, a house of cards built on debt, it just takes one defaulter to bring the lot down and that is cold economic fact and no one can do anything about it.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Not really, Greece is somewhat unique. I just think there is a complete lack of trust in Greek government to actually do the changes it has proposed, thus it may feel like throwing even more money down the wishing well at the same time sending out a bad message to other countries when it comes to fiscal matters.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Just read a good article on the Grexit consequences, the simple basic problem is if Greece exits and therefore defaults every debt, it has no way of paying in Drachmas, then the creditors will take a huge hit and start pulling money out of every country in the EU with similar problems,( most of them) and with hours the Eurozone could be in meltdown, a house of cards built on debt, it just takes one defaulter to bring the lot down and that is cold economic fact and no one can do anything about it.

Except other countries in the Eurozone, such as Ireland, have already shown they can pay their debts.

Job

It boils down to trust, Ireland took the hit and spent years building it up, if Greece leaves the lenders will lose all faith in the EU's ability to safeguard their money

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
This is the front page of the Bild , encouraging Merkel to take a stand against the Greeks, that quite simply says it all about German's inherent desire to push it's culture over Europe.

CJTF4aQW8AEllUj.jpg

meh. Bild is the German "Sun". If it's not in Spiegel or Frankfurter Algemeine it it's about as valid as your opinion on wind power :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Cornerstone of civilization?
That's an apt description.

They believed that democracy, an idea developed in Greece, would save them. But they now realise that banks > democracy.

Lets hope that they don't abandon it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
meh. Bild is the German "Sun". If it's not in Spiegel or Frankfurter Algemeine it it's about as valid as your opinion on wind power :)
To be fair tho - the Sun is probably the biggest vote swinger in the UK. Lots of retards read it and vote accordingly.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just because you invent something doesn't mean you are any good at it. ref: England & Football.

Actually - the greeks were VERY good at it.

It's Europe and the financial institutions that don't give a fuck about democracy.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Actually - the greeks were VERY good at it.

What part of holding a referendum, voting to not follow an austerity policy, and then in the end just ignoring the result is part of the democratic process?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What part of holding a referendum, voting to not follow an austerity policy, and then in the end just ignoring the result is part of the democratic process?
I'd write my own opinion but it's late and this raises a number of pertinent points / questions :)

Job

'The Greeks were negotiating under threat of their banking system being allowed to collapse, a threat made by the very regulator supposed to maintain financial stability.'
Says it all.
The Greeks had one bargaining chip and that was a grexit would destroy the EU, I think the Germans are looking past the EU to a time when they rule Europe without these pesky countries having a say.
The intrinsic desire to sort out the mess , I would call it character, of the continent by installing German values all over it is not going away anytime soon,
Surely the lessons of the past are not forgotten that quickly, though it only took twenty years last time for Germany to start another war under our noses because anyone with concerns were ridiculed, the 4th reich is being built in plain sight.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
It does look increasingly like the Greeks are being actively punished rather than this being an actual attempt to fix the problem. They couldn't pay back the last two bailouts so there's jack all chance they'll be able to pay back this one given their economy is still shrinking. And literally taking €50bn of assets as "collateral", manages to simultaneously remind everyone of the last time Germany went around Europe carrying off cartloads of stuff, and that loansharking works for entire countries as well as chavs on council estates.

Job

It does look increasingly like the Greeks are being actively punished rather than this being an actual attempt to fix the problem. They couldn't pay back the last two bailouts so there's jack all chance they'll be able to pay back this one given their economy is still shrinking. And literally taking €50bn of assets as "collateral", manages to simultaneously remind everyone of the last time Germany went around Europe carrying off cartloads of stuff, and that loansharking works for entire countries as well as chavs on council estates.
I know I'm biased, but Farage's speech about Greece walking away with it's head held high seemed a bit idealistic at the time, but now it looks like the only way forward...and it might well happen...I predict a riot.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I think there's a large element of the Germans showing their authority across Europe, which is a part of their culture. I think if this was taken at face value of a country in debt rather than the Germans now taking the piss and showing the rest of Europe is subservient to them, it would a wholly different kettle of fish.

Job

Yup, the dream died today and though it will trundle along for a good bit, it's true intentions have been laid out and we have good old basketcase Greece to thank for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom