Advice Google Nexus 7

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Nope, that's the 2013 model.

old.user4556

Just got 4.4.2 on my Nexus 5 & 7.

Check your phone updates!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Not bothering to upgrade to 4.4. Still shit loads of apps that won't work with it. Something to do with the new run-time thingy.

Thinking of rooting my 7 2012. Found a guide - this one :

http://nexus7.wonderhowto.com/how-t...android-4-3-jelly-bean-windows-guide-0148100/

Did everyone else use a similar process? Or have I found something that only works for Nexus 7s made in India under a full moon whilst a crow pecks the testicle of a suicidal orc?

old.user4556

Not bothering to upgrade to 4.4. Still shit loads of apps that won't work with it. Something to do with the new run-time thingy.

Wut? You mean ART? You don't have to use ART, it will be in Dalvik by default.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Yeah, that's it. Art. Practically every app I have there are comments on the play store from ppl saying the app doesn't work with 4.4. Mind you there are a lot of idiots out there.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yeah, that's it. Art. Practically every app I have there are comments on the play store from ppl saying the app doesn't work with 4.4. Mind you there are a lot of idiots out there.
Which would basically be anyone mentioning that as you have to specifically enable it.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I took the plunge. Now running 4.4.2. So far so good. Apart from the white icons, haven't noticed much difference from 4.3

old.user4556

Under the hood mostly on the N7.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Ok. The advertising is really annoying me. Going to have to root it.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I have adverts spamming my apps, eg Archos video player . Hence need to root

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I have adverts spamming my apps, eg Archos video player . Hence need to root

Yeah, that's the kind of "nuke 'em from orbit, its the only way to be sure" option. Getting a different video player might be a less...dramatic...solution.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Mx player would be my ideal choice but its in incompatible with 4.4.2

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I use mine for pr0n and email.

Basically, do you think I notice anything new with any software update on these devices? o_O

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Anyone know If the LED notification light on the old N7 can pulse in different colours?

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I got an N7 2013 for Christmas.
The first thing I did was update it to 4.4.2, unlock it, root it, install custom recovery and finally install Adblock Plus.
No more adverts anywhere. Not in webpages, Youtube videos, apps, anything.

This is the guide I used to do most of it. It includes Busybox and SuperSU and is far less hassle than the method BigG posted a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/blog/2013/11/nexus-7-2013-root-unlock-recovery-guide/

ileks

Part of the furniture
I got an N7 2013 for Christmas.
The first thing I did was update it to 4.4.2, unlock it, root it, install custom recovery and finally install Adblock Plus.
No more adverts anywhere. Not in webpages, Youtube videos, apps, anything.

This is the guide I used to do most of it. It includes Busybox and SuperSU and is far less hassle than the method BigG posted a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/blog/2013/11/nexus-7-2013-root-unlock-recovery-guide/

Thanks for this. I got one for Christmas as well. Will have to try this later.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
When you get super su running be sure to enable the option to survive over the air updates

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Got my N7 for Christmas, love it but I can't get the mobile connection to work. I have an existing SIM-only deal that I used for my old Galaxy. Put the SIM in the Nexus and it sees it, says I'm on the network (its a 3G SIM) and shows a signal but then says I'm disconnected from the internet when I try to do anything. I've looked through all the settings and can't figure out what's wrong, and the telco are no fucking use because its not a supported device and as far as they're concerned the SIM is working.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
So can you make + receive phone calls on the new Nexus 7?

soze

I am a FH squatter
I don't "think" it presents as a phone. But with 3G you could make calls via Skype ect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom