Advice Google Nexus 7

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Oooh, KitKat coming to Nexus 7 and HTC One :) Lovely.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The HTC One is nice, certainly enjoyed setting up my sisters and nearly bought one earlier this year but both HTC and T Mobile have annoyed me. This phone will also enable me to get rid of my ASUS Transformer (TF101) at the same time as my HTC One S since it is big enough to cover the formers duties.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Um, build quality? I love my Nexus 7 but it is plastic. My HTC One is in a completely different class.
But even when the Nexus was a Samsung Phone the Samsung of the same spec out sold it. Nexus just seems to be under marketed.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Am very tempted but resisting. Anybody know if its possible to flash pure android onto my HTC One (ie turn it into one of the Play HTC One's)?

I'd welcome advice about tablets, I want to get one for podcasts, reading, net and to work as an alarm clock. Plan would be, it lives in a dock by my bed, wakes me up, plays podcasts, sits at home and then in the evening I do reading on it before bed. Secondary purpose would be to come on elective (medical work in 3rd world) next summer with me and have books/my notes etc with me.
I was hoping to get a new Nexus 10, but that seems to not exist. Now I'm stuck between old Nexus 10, and new Nexus 7.
I just dont know if Nexus 7 will be too small/kindle-like and not great for video pod-casts and reading?
Any suggestions?

7" tab is perfect for reading. But, most 7" tabs are just media consumption devices; the only smaller tab that's optimised for productivity is the Galaxy Note 8, but its silly money.

NB New Nexus 10 should be announced in a few weeks.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Although there have been build quality issues with the HTC One in regards to cracks and gaps with the sandwich between the plastic sides and metal top, however the number probably represents a fairly small amount of units.

DaGaffer

Just ordered my LTE version for delivery to a friend in the UK (can't get it in Ireland yet, which is ironic given where you're billed from). Just need to go and get a 4G sim now.

Tilda

On the tablet chat, my Nexus 10 has arrived and I bloody love it. As good as the Nexus 5 in terms of purchases I've been happy with. I thought for a long time about what tablet to get (Surface Pro is a laptop replacement and not a great podcast/video/web content consumption device) and I'm so glad I went for the N10, its slick, quick, beautiful and I love it. Bring on the kitkat update though!

dysfunction

FH is my second home
On the tablet chat, my Nexus 10 has arrived and I bloody love it. As good as the Nexus 5 in terms of purchases I've been happy with. I thought for a long time about what tablet to get (Surface Pro is a laptop replacement and not a great podcast/video/web content consumption device) and I'm so glad I went for the N10, its slick, quick, beautiful and I love it. Bring on the kitkat update though!

Is that the 2013 nexus 10 or last years?

Tilda

There isn't a 2013 nexus, so last years, but still one of the best, if not the best android tablet out there imho.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I think the 2013 version is coming very soon. I may get that or the nexus 7...

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Kit Kat is allegedly out for Nexus 7 and 10, although it's not showing for me yet.

Litmus

Resident Freddy
i dont have the money to buy one right away anyway :) just looking for after Christmas maybe. Never really been interested in tablets before, just seen them as over sized mobile phones minus the phone calls. But this looks nice for £200

Tilda

Key is to work out what you want it for.
I have a Nexus 5 as a phone, and ummed and arred for a while about a Nexus 7 or 10. I went for the Nexus 10, its brilliant, I can sit on the sofa or in bed and ready, surf, do emails. Its class. I think if I'd got the Nexus 7 it just wouldn't be quite big enough to be useful for that sort of thing.
If your budget is £200, I'd look for a 2nd hand Nexus 10 on ebay, I got the 32GB for £250, so a 16GB one (I only went for 32 because I want to store uni notes - I went for the small storage on the Nexus 5 simply because you dont need it unless you're going to try and store thousands of songs on it - stream from google music) shouldn't be too much. I'd say looking around £200 ish, especially after xmas.

If google release a new version of the nexus 10, then the prices of the older model will drop even further.

soze

I am a FH squatter
After a few weeks of research finding apps I just sold my iPad Mini and got a Hudl. £220 back for the iPad and with Vouchers and discount codes £57 for a Hudl. It is no where near as smooth as the iPad and the touch screen seems far less sensitive but at a quarter of the price it will do for on the throne entertainment.

soze

I am a FH squatter
The battery on the Hudl is shocking. The iPad would last about 3 weeks when left on standby a lot this Hudl is on 19% after 2 days 11 hours with 65% of the battery going on Android OS. I might need to strip down what I leave running which will be a pain.
Screenshot_2013-11-19-20-11-25.png

It could be ABP but would that not show as an individual application?

Last edited:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Bloke at work bought one of those £100 tesco jobbies, excellent for the price. Something to use on the bog.

Edit seen latest posts. No idea about the battery, it only got delivered today.

soze

I am a FH squatter
My mate has one, confirmed the same. Decent tablet for his kid to dick around with though.
Yeah I will just have to live with charging it every other day. I will start taking it to work lol.

DaGaffer

Has anyone had any difficulties with their order from Google? Friend of mine ordered a Nexus 7 for me and they seem to have completely fucked up the order (spectacularly so - Google think its been shipped, the order confirmation shows its been shipped, but the courier doesn't and neither do Visa). Missus is supposed to be picking it up for me when she goes to London next weekend, but I doubt this will be resolved. What's been your typical delivery time if we restarted the order today?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
My Nexus 5 turned up earlier than expected (was scheduled for mid December) and turned up the day after they e-mailed me to say it had been delivered.

Nabbed by courier or payment not processed by Google sound like the culprit here.

Embattle

FH is my second home
My nexus 5 turned up a day later than expected and contacting via email gave me the nasty feeling or either communicating with either some sort of foreigner or an attempt at artificial intelligence replies.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Tilda get splashtop on your nexus 10. I have it on mine and it works so well. Also bsplayer free is good for those weird movie files dice may struggle with

old.user4556

That's KitKat on my Nexus 7. It's gone from being awesome to being awesome. No obvious differences other than the immediate print (which I like).

Spotify need to get a finger out and sort out album art on KitKat.

Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I never feel "HNNNGGG" about the Nexus 7 like I did about the iPad. iOS is just so limiting.

old.user4556

Awesome price, I wonder if a replacement is around the corner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom