Advice Google Nexus 7

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I have a real hankering for a Nexus 7. I feel like Android has come a long way since my HTC Hero and the slickness of Jellybean really appeals. I've read many reviews online, and the gorgeous display coupled with the pure minimalism of Android looks pretty lovely.

I've got an iPad 3 just now, and lately I've been finding it a bit too heavy / big and I think that the 7" of the Nexus 7 would be spot on. Also, I find iOS 7 clunky on the iPad 3 and I've ended up hating the experience.

Anyone got a long term opinion of the Nexus 7?

soze

I am a FH squatter
I went to a Nexus 7 from my iPad 3 for two and a half weeks before changing back to an iPad mini. Now this is totally my opinion and it is because I am used to iOS now and like the way it works. But i spent too long trying to make the Nexus look like an iPad with all the apps on the screen and the correct shortcuts at the bottom. The web browser did not work out of the box in the way I wanted and I could not find comparable apps for some of the stuff I use on a daily basis.

So for me the switch went very badly. But as you have said you are getting sick of iOS then it might be fine. The hardware is great and loads of people love Android so once you get it right it will more than likely be fine. If there are any Apps that are a must have for you it might be worth checking there are Android alternatives first.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
My 71 year old mother has one and loves it, takes it everywhere with her. Mostly uses it for e-books and email, and a bit of sudoku. What I think is most telling, is I'm forever being asked questions about her laptop, how to do this, why has it slowed right down again (lost track of how many times I've told her opening 78 tabs in Firefox is a bad idea), but I never get questions about the Nexus. She seems to just get on with it.

I've had a play round with it and it seems pretty good. Pretty snappy, display is nice and it feels as solid as an iPad or a Sony. I've heard of very few issues with them as well, certainly few that didn't arise from Google breaking something in the new version of Android.

Only problem with it I can see is the size, if your phone has a 5 inch screen or above, you aren't gaining too much screen real estate. The keyboard is a bit more useable, that's about it. If it was me I'd probably go for an Android 10 incher, like the Nexus 10 or the Tablet Z, but if 7 inches is your thing, you can't currently do better.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Gizmodo summarises the competition:
ku-xlarge.png

For me its a no-brainer; the apps landscape for Android is catching iOS now and there will be very little on iOS that you can't get on Android, or if not, something that does the same job. The Nexus is 2/3 the price of the iPad, barely different pixel density slightly smaller screen but lighter. Oh and iOS7 is a bastard on batteries. I'm getting an LTE Nexus 7. The only thing that would make me change my mind would be a massive price drop on the Galaxy Note 8, because it would be more useful at work, but its stupidly expensive.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I have a Nexus 7 and absolutely love it, fast, responsive and the screen is gorgeous.

old.user4556

Gizmodo summarises the competition:
ku-xlarge.png

For me its a no-brainer; the apps landscape for Android is catching iOS now and there will be very little on iOS that you can't get on Android, or if not, something that does the same job. The Nexus is 2/3 the price of the iPad, barely different pixel density slightly smaller screen but lighter. Oh and iOS7 is a bastard on batteries. I'm getting an LTE Nexus 7. The only thing that would make me change my mind would be a massive price drop on the Galaxy Note 8, because it would be more useful at work, but its stupidly expensive.

Yes indeed, this tablet has made me really pay attention to Android again as I always felt the Android apps were behind iOS apps and lacking polish. That advantage seems to be pretty much eroded not to mention the woeful iOS 7 battery life which I agree with you on there. I've been an Apple guy for over two years now but their lack of innovation is evident.

I have a Nexus 7 and absolutely love it, fast, responsive and the screen is gorgeous.

That's all I needed to hear really, I'll nip oot and get one!

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Big G they are totally awesome, you will not regret it :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
I have both an iPad3 and Nexus 7 (old version) and find the N7 far superior - size is better (and better for me than the iPad mini), it's quicker, more responsive and more flexible. That part is down to Android of course, but I am a tinkerer, hence where it suits me best. Only downside on original nexus 7 is lack of front facing camera, not sure if that applies on the new one.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
New Nexus 7 has both front and rear.

old.user4556

typing this from my nexus 7, chrome is so much faster than the iPad 3. Love it so far.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
typing this from my nexus 7, chrome is so much faster than the iPad 3. Love it so far.

I recommend trying the next browser. I had chrome on my SGS2 but switched to the next browser as the performance increase was incredible and has more or less all the functionality of chrome on it.

old.user4556

Will have a look cheers.

Been using the nexus 7 all day and all I can say is what an awesome piece of kit. I like:

- it's super slick, minimalist and feels "light"
- screen is superb
- browser is noticeably faster with no stutter
- it fits in one hand, and it weighs so much less than the iPad 3 which makes "walkabout the house controlling the sonos" a breeze
- battery life is good, took it off charge last night, played with it all day, at 34% now. Not quite as good as the iPad but you're talking a lesser battery
- seems like great build quality, much prefer it to metal which scuffs rather easily (or the colour scuffs off in the case of the iPhone 5)
- Google apps seem to be in their native environment
- this swipe to type thing is fabulous :)

Things I'm not sure about:

- devs need to improve the look of android versions of apps. The IMDB app and eBay app look poor compared to the iPad version, the sonos app is the same. Most other apps look fine / the same
- jellybean looks great, but it could look even better I think? Just a minor point though

old.user4556

Oh and, voice recognition is substantially faster and more accurate than siri ever was. It's actually very useable

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Will have a look cheers.

Been using the nexus 7 all day and all I can say is what an awesome piece of kit. I like:

- it's super slick, minimalist and feels "light"
- screen is superb
- browser is noticeably faster with no stutter
- it fits in one hand, and it weighs so much less than the iPad 3 which makes "walkabout the house controlling the sonos" a breeze
- battery life is good, took it off charge last night, played with it all day, at 34% now. Not quite as good as the iPad but you're talking a lesser battery
- seems like great build quality, much prefer it to metal which scuffs rather easily (or the colour scuffs off in the case of the iPhone 5)
- Google apps seem to be in their native environment
- this swipe to type thing is fabulous :)

Things I'm not sure about:

- devs need to improve the look of android versions of apps. The IMDB app and eBay app look poor compared to the iPad version, the sonos app is the same. Most other apps look fine / the same
- jellybean looks great, but it could look even better I think? Just a minor point though
Glad you like it, it does look impressive, I use Nova Launcher to style my screens. Very nice app, they do a free version as well. I think that developers will step up as Android is vastly more widespread than ever and is just growing all the time.

Syri

FH is my second home
The one thing I've noticed with my nexus is that Android is a bit lacking when it comes to tablet optimised apps. In most cases, the apps are designed for phones, and just get scaled up to the tablet screen. It's not the best way of doing it, but I think in most cases it seems to work better than on the ipad scaling up iphone apps, as android devices at least tend to use the same ratio for their screens, so the scaling doesn't seem quite as odd. Apparently there's a change rolling out to the play store that will show tablet optimised apps first, before showing phone versions or something. I haven't noticed anything yet on mine, but it may not have installed yet.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
properly responsive apps are a lot more work, and by a lot I mean a LOT. I'm in the process of designing one from the ground up and it's not simply a question of making teh pictars embiggender(or smaller). If you've not got a company picking up the tab, customers will have to pay and pro design will cost you I'm afraid.

old.user4556

Looking forward to it, if it's as good as the nexus 7 It'll be a smash hit.

I really want a nexus 5 when it lands, I have no desire to keep my iPhone 5.

Tilda

xda seems to think either tomorrow or 1st release.
The guy leaking the photos thinks 1st, but the play store is out of stock for all nexus 4 now. We shall see!
Still want N10.2 :D

Although, in the side render the camera is below the power button, but in the back render, camera is above the power button?!

old.user4556

One thing is confirmed; Google will be shutting up and taking my damn money.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Screen is kind of compact though. Not necessarily a bad thing.

old.user4556

The one thing I've noticed with my nexus is that Android is a bit lacking when it comes to tablet optimised apps. In most cases, the apps are designed for phones, and just get scaled up to the tablet screen. It's not the best way of doing it, but I think in most cases it seems to work better than on the ipad scaling up iphone apps, as android devices at least tend to use the same ratio for their screens, so the scaling doesn't seem quite as odd. Apparently there's a change rolling out to the play store that will show tablet optimised apps first, before showing phone versions or something. I haven't noticed anything yet on mine, but it may not have installed yet.

Looks like a change to Google Play will separate tablet and phone apps. Hopefully this means a more tablet optimised apps?

http://readwrite.com/2013/10/11/android-tablet-apps-google-play#awesm=~olGnZ6iwoJyHdj

old.user4556

Definitely today at some point. Maybe.

Latest rumour is 6pm our time. Keep an eye on 'nexus 5' on twitter.

Tilda

Big G - its out, if you're wanting to snag one before they sell out.
Alas for no cash and an already expensive HTC One!

old.user4556

No indication of micro or nano sim?

I'll be ordering!

Embattle

It's my birthday today!
I've ordered it as well, although as a phone newbie it does beg a question is it possible to use my t-mobile contract phones sim in it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom