Advice Google Nexus 5

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'd wait for an official one if I were you. I read somewhere (lost the link) that the google one will have magnets that hold the phone squarely in place.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Yeah it will but it is too horizontal for my liking and it isn't even listed yet, when you consider that even the cases they listed are taking some time before you can actually order them I suspect the charger is going to be quite a while before being available.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
That's where I'm coming from. Since it's £10 delivery might as well hold off.

Fast

Part of the furniture
Ordered mine today from google play, 4-5 weeks delivery. *taps foot*

Embattle

FH is my second home
That's where I'm coming from. Since it's £10 delivery might as well hold off.

Not sure what you are getting at, personally the waiting wouldn't be an issue if the design suited my needs.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
I'd wait for an official one if I were you
Im sure some folks thought the same when the N4 was launched. They'd still be waiting now - for whatever reason they never bothered making the wireless charger available in the UK.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Got it today, although I'm wondering why the stay awake function doesn't work with Qi charging.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Guys, I'm suddenly seeing "Android OS" lunching a lot of battery, 45% today so far. Phone is off charge and 86% already after 2 hours of little use (except android OS). Any thoughts?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Guys, I'm suddenly seeing "Android OS" lunching a lot of battery, 45% today so far. Phone is off charge and 86% already after 2 hours of little use (except android OS). Any thoughts?

Yeah today my battery was dropping like a stone and upon checking Android OS had 49% and it seems that was mainly down to Keep Awake at 5 hours.

old.user4556

I've rebooted it after a charge and it seems good now. Normal usage will see it to bedtime with no issues and the widget estimates another 16 hours of standby.

Screenshot_2013-11-12-17-16-57.jpg

Screenshot_2013-11-12-17-41-43.jpg

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Embattle said:
Yeah today my battery was dropping like a stone and upon checking Android OS had 49% and it seems that was mainly down to Keep Awake at 5 hours.

The GF's Xperia SP does this occasionally too, a reboot sorts it out.

old.user4556

Update on the battery after a couple of weeks and several charge / discharge cycles, pretty good i'd say after a day of quite thorough use, lasted into the evening well with plenty to spare.

Screenshot_2013-11-18-21-01-36.jpg

Fast

Part of the furniture
Mine arrived yesterday, alot quicker than expected. I just need to work out how to get my contacts across from my windows phone.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Holy shit. This thing is awesome.

Fast

Part of the furniture
Indeed, rapid. I had to change my language to US to get the "ok google" for the voice activation to work. Also for it to appear in the search tab on the home screen. Anyone else have this issue?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Indeed, rapid. I had to change my language to US to get the "ok google" for the voice activation to work. Also for it to appear in the search tab on the home screen. Anyone else have this issue?
It's been documented elsewhere. That is the only current workaround.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
I want one but I'm going to hold off a bit and try the 4.4 Omni Rom Kitkat on my S2 when it's more developed.

old.user4556

Holy shit. This thing is awesome.

Early thoughts?

There's one thing that needs 'fixed' and I understand that it's coming: the AF hunting on the camera and constant readjustment (particularly during videos) is a bit of a pain. Not a show stopper, but it is annoying.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Early thoughts?

There's one thing that needs 'fixed' and I understand that it's coming: the AF hunting on the camera and constant readjustment (particularly during videos) is a bit of a pain. Not a show stopper, but it is annoying.
Coming from a 3GS it's a great step forward. The screen on this phone is bigger than the entire old 3GS itself, now have a mobile with a camera flash (I know, I know), etc, etc. Basically the hardware is superb, the screen is fantastic. Speakers at the bottom are something I'm used to so whilst a lot of people are ragging on that it's not bothering me at all.

Google Now is actually usable on KitKat (its an annoyance on my Nexus 7) because it now basically sits in the "Search iPhone" position that the 3GS had for ages. I'm still adjusting but frankly I was most glad that I've been able to transplant all my SMS and WhatsApp messages across with little problem (some tweaking required obviously). Historically it's always bothered me that Apple make it difficult to get at your own stuff unless you stay with them.

The niggles so far are that It's going to take me some time to adjust to switches being on both edges of the phone again but that's just a brain training exercise. Secondly the applications aren't up to speed with KitKat yet and some of them are therefore just completely unstable or unusable but can still be installed? The Android setup process could do with some edges smoothing off but that's down to Google to fix as I really didn't need all the special tweak apps from my old HP Touchpad automatically installed on this. Thankfully ES File Explorer lets you choose a large quantity of items to remove in one hit.

Currently looking for an excellent podcast manager if anyone has one, my weapon of choice for iOS (Downcast http://www.downcastapp.com/ ) has no Android flavour :(

Tilda

G - I have a huge amount of time and affection for Pocket Casts - syncs with other iphones and android tablets too so if you watch something on your phone, it'll kick it off your tablet (if you set it up that way) too.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
G - I have a huge amount of time and affection for Pocket Casts - syncs with other iphones and android tablets too so if you watch something on your phone, it'll kick it off your tablet (if you set it up that way) too.
Cheers Tilda.

I'd ended up at pocket casts door in the past couple of days already as it goes. I don't like the interface as much as DownCast but was happy to let that slide based on the sync feature. That's been really useful across my Nexus 5 & 7 but of course subsequently iOS ruined that party because my 3GS is now too old and pocket casts requires iOS7. That's a real thumb in the eye as the majority of my listening is in car where the old 3GS is now going to live as a permanent Sat Nav / Music dump.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Got my bumper case today, it is very nice and fits very well plus wireless charging still works while it is on my Nokia DT910 charger although you have to accept that no way is it worth £25 (+£6 delivery) but then most cases are over priced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom