Advice Google Nexus 5

soze

I am a FH squatter
That is serious phone for the money. I am never sure why Samsung and HTC sell so well when a phone like that exists for £150 less. Nexus accept no substitutes.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That is serious phone for the money. I am never sure why Samsung and HTC sell so well when a phone like that exists for £150 less. Nexus accept no substitutes.
Um, build quality? I love my Nexus 7 but it is plastic. My HTC One is in a completely different class.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
But even when the Nexus was a Samsung Phone the Samsung of the same spec out sold it. Nexus just seems to be under marketed.
Do not know, my last phone was an iPhone, this is my first Android, though saying that I just got my daughter a Samsung Galaxy Express 2 (just released) and I am bloody impressed. Still would not give up my HTC One.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Bought. 16 GB, black.

Re metal Deebs, one thing I hate about the iPhone is how the black scratches off it so easily. I much prefer the polycarbonate of the nexus 7.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Bought. 16 GB, black.

Re metal Deebs, one thing I hate about the iPhone is how the black scratches off it so easily. I much prefer the polycarbonate of the nexus 7.
I ditched my Apple phone and will never go back, Android all the way but in my opinion the best phone on the market is the HTC One. Lovely build, great features, one of the best screens and super fast. Looking forward to the M8.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Went for the 32GB Black one myself, the feeling won't be that much different from my HTC One S even though is has a metal back since I've always generally had it in a gel case :p

I just want pure android hence the Nexus this time, HTC boned me on updates for both my Desire and my One S.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Urgghh... so close to pressing buy, had to force myself not too!

Tilda

Am very tempted but resisting. Anybody know if its possible to flash pure android onto my HTC One (ie turn it into one of the Play HTC One's)?

I'd welcome advice about tablets, I want to get one for podcasts, reading, net and to work as an alarm clock. Plan would be, it lives in a dock by my bed, wakes me up, plays podcasts, sits at home and then in the evening I do reading on it before bed. Secondary purpose would be to come on elective (medical work in 3rd world) next summer with me and have books/my notes etc with me.
I was hoping to get a new Nexus 10, but that seems to not exist. Now I'm stuck between old Nexus 10, and new Nexus 7.
I just dont know if Nexus 7 will be too small/kindle-like and not great for video pod-casts and reading?
Any suggestions?

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
I so wanted a Nexus 5 but the lack of a sd card expansion slot and the price being too high has put me off.

old.user4556

£299 for a brand new phone of that spec is too expensive?

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
£340 is for the 32GB version. I don't bother with the 16GB version as you don't get enough storage space, unless it comes with a sd card expansion slot, which it doesn't.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
£340 is for the 32GB version. I don't bother with the 16GB version as you don't get enough storage space, unless it comes with a sd card expansion slot, which it doesn't.
Show me a phone for 340 even close to that spec. Google are pushing cloud services, they won't offer expandable mem again.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home

It'll be interesting to see if the phone allows the use of an OTG cable. It's not the same as having extra memory in the first place, but does allow you to put larger files, videos etc on temporarily whilst you watch them and then delete. I'm thinking that if it does then even the 16GB version may be enough. I'm not sure if need more stuff than that that if need instant access to.

Does anyone know if the 32GB version has a bigger battery? I did see that rumoured.

RB

old.user4556

Also, micro-sim for the Nexus 5, looks like i'll need to get a converter for my nano SIM currently in my iPhone 5.

Tilda

So jealous!
Next question, I have an HTC One 32GB, I recon it might go for £300 on ebay.
Do I sell it and get Nexus 5, or do I just flash the One to Kitkat?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So jealous!
Why would you want to sell your HTC One? KitKat is coming to this phone, it is a piece of art, metal not plashit, there is nothing wrong with the HTC One. You can pry mine from my dead hands .... :p

Embattle

FH is my second home
Mine is due 8th of November.

Is that confirmed because mine said that as well when I ordered it, it is a back stop date rather than an absolute I believe.

So jealous!

Both have advantages but I wouldn't think it was worth dumping it to go for the Nexus 5.

Tilda

Essentially because I think I've realised I'm in love with Nexus. The longer I have my One, the more I just wish it didn't have so much HTC stuff on it!

Anybody want to buy my HTC One then?! :D

old.user4556

Is that confirmed because mine said that as well when I ordered it, it is a back stop date rather than an absolute I believe.

Oh I'll need to check.

Essentially because I think I've realised I'm in love with Nexus. The longer I have my One, the more I just wish it didn't have so much HTC stuff on it!

Anybody want to buy my HTC One then?! :D

I know exactly what you mean Tilda. One of the biggest blockers for me picking up an Android handset is that I find a lot of manufacturers add bloated functionality I'm not interested in. I had a play with a Samsung Galaxy S4 and I thought it was a very slick, decent handset but I did not like the almost cartoon-esque UI. I like my phone to be completely out of the box and stock, so vanilla Android is what I want. There was no handset (or indeed tablet) that offered stock Android in a gorgeous device, but now I finally feel that has arrived. I know there's custom ROMs, but I really don't want to be dicking around with that.

I feel the same about the Nexus 7 - beautiful piece of equipment with stock Android. I'm also a bit gay for Google, so I like the Nexus branding on the device.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Why would you want to sell your HTC One? KitKat is coming to this phone, it is a piece of art, metal not plashit, there is nothing wrong with the HTC One. You can pry mine from my dead hands .... :p
Because it's HTC and it will break.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Well neither my HTC Desire or HTC One S broke or had any hardware based issue, the simple problem that has annoyed me with HTC is they've stopped developing the software side often early. The Desire was bad enough when they officially stopped at android 2.2 with a development build of 2.3 available at users risk, they've successfully done even worse with the One S which HTC more or less deciding to discontinue support at android 4.1.1 and deciding to cancel the planned update from Sense 4 to 5.

Tilda

Car phone warehouse had stock, I took the plunge, now need to ebay the HTC!
Love love love Nexus 5

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Car phone warehouse had stock, I took the plunge, now need to ebay the HTC!
Love love love Nexus 5
They only have 16gb on their website, is that what you got? Fiver cheaper to, and no delivery charge if you go to the store.

Tilda

Yep, you can only get 16GB from CPW, O2 have exclusive rights for 32GB for now. Although can always get either online.
I figured, I have a tablet, I dont use half the stuff I put on my phone so I should be able to manage. If I fill it up, I can always try and persuade my gf to get one, give her the 16GB and take the 32GB. We shall see.
So much like - having passive listening is cool - sat at my desk "Ok google, what time is it in alaska" - answer read out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom