Girl(friend)s and DAoC

Is your gf OK with DAoC?

• I have a girlfriend, she does her best to keep me from playing

Votes: 56 9.2%
  • I have a girlfriend, she tolerates my play but wouldn't like it to go further

Votes: 92 15.2%
  • I have a girlfriend, she's ok with my playing and takes it cool, she knows Im not addicted

Votes: 62 10.2%
  • I have a girlfriend, she couldn't care less if I played or not

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • My girlfriend hates when I play if she's with me

Votes: 42 6.9%
  • My girlfriend plays DAoC herself, we are happy together with each other's ingame time

Votes: 57 9.4%
  • I am single

Votes: 187 30.9%
  • I am a girl, I play and my boyfriend's ok with it

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • Neither of these poll options make sense to me

Votes: 45 7.4%

• Total voters

Arabnisse

Fledgling Freddie
DavidH said:
Where's the "I have a girlfriend and none of us play DAoC"? :p

imo then why the hell do u,,,,, hang around here? :( ah well. based on daoc-affecting relationships, u see`;)

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie
marihuana said:
Where is the option my girlfriend left me cause i wouldnt give up daoc ?:p
I guess that's different wording for "I am single".

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Cloudz said:
pretty much the same as me, she knows i play the odd game when bored, but thats it.
double life! in the day time, mr. nice guy with gf taking a walk etc. in nightime this man turns into a beast, dualwielding or petspamming, making life for poor druids horror! :/ its like a mafioso you know.

my gf takes it cool when i game, tho she wouldnt like me picking daoc over her. but i've told her i like to play and she has to respect it so i can tell her some times (not very often) that i want a night of daoc instead of spending whole day with her. she seems pretty cool with it and sometimes if my mind is on it she asks about the game etc.

Beovulf

Fledgling Freddie
Well my gf cant stand it when i'd rather play than go somewhere with her. For instance, just this afternoon i planned on joining ML7. But at 2pm she turns 'round 'Going to Wells, you coming?' :(

:eek7: Could you pick a worse time woman! 'I was kinda gonna join in ML rush.'

'Oh another one of your "meetings" like last time?'

An' then i got THE LINE.... You'd rather play your game than spend time with me? I grudgingly went with her to Wells and we stayed there an hour then came home.

I'm so under the thumb lol.

Vandrakken

Fledgling Freddie
Arabnisse said:
What does the love of your life (or something like that) think about the simple fact you play DAoC, sometimes with her in the near area, sometimes when she's not around? I mostly play when she's in her place, when Im alone. It's not impossible, however, that for example she sits seated in front of a tv show of her choice which I find no interest in and log onto DAoC instead.

Im certainly sure she's pretty ok with it, as long as I do it when we don't have the opportunity to see each other (she lives way too far from my house to just take a walk and drop by) but when I play when she's around, I could guess myself to that she's more or less cursing it. How's the situation out in foreign Europe? Im so curious! :)

My g/f plays her own acc all the time, played D2 when I was there also so its kinda handy to say the least =)

Weever

Banned
>.< Pooned said:
Daoc + gf is a bit hard and if u accompolish that its not at its best moments

so

/retire ftw !!11oneone

we /bang irl

Tomehb

Fledgling Freddie
This is tomehb's gf... Christina.
I really do dislike it when he plays when i'm with him. And when i'm at his house, He gets phone calls to go on the game or you lot tell him off for spending time with me. Sorry to say but you guys need to get out more, its only a game, and besides you lot sound a bit geeky when you talk about the game.
Also shocked by the member, marihuana... You loved the game more than your girlfriend? Hmm surely you could have came to some sort of middle ground? You must be pretty addicted if she felt she had no other option but to dump you because of how much time you spend on there. GET OUT MORE PLEASE!
And i am sure i will get lots of abuse now, i don't mean to offend but this is my opinion.

Satyn

Fledgling Freddie
Tomehb said:
I really do dislike it when he plays when i'm with him. And when i'm at his house, He gets phone calls to go on the game or you lot tell him off for spending time with me. Sorry to say but you guys need to get out more, its only a game, and besides you lot sound a bit geeky when you talk about the game.
Also shocked by the member, marihuana... You loved the game more than your girlfriend? Hmm surely you could have came to some sort of middle ground? You must be pretty addicted if she felt she had no other option but to dump you because of how much time you spend on there. GET OUT MORE PLEASE!
And i am sure i will get lots of abuse now, i don't mean to offend but this is my opinion.

hehe i used to think like you. I did my head in when my bf was online all the time, he got phonecalls to log in while we were in the middle of something. He was talking about the game non stop and i had no idea what he was talking about. Then i just started playing it myself and i haven stopped since then. Maybe you should try it aswell, bf/gf need to share each others passion imo.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Tomehb said:

DAoC is a passion. It's as much a passion as something is for you. It's also a hobby. Much like a women's hobby of shopping. Through this hobby we gain friends and we like these friends because we can share the hobby with them. You wouldn't like it if your BF never shut up about DAoC to you which he probably wouldn't do if it wasn't for ingame chat and teamspeak etc.

Personally, through my own eyes, you don't seem like your being thoughtful and fair. I've told my GF about my ways, she said 'fine, thats cool but when I want you, I want you.' She respects the fact I'd rather be ingame than out on the piss or i'd rather be talking to mates on teamspeak instead of lounging on the sofa watching action films.

Get out more? I play MMORPGS a lot - 1-2 hours a day. Yet I'm often out every other day with my GF and friends. We have parties, days in, eating binges etc. It works well because I have managed to balance real life with online gaming. By the sounds of it, your BF has managed thta too otherwise you wouldn't be together.

So instead of jumping the gun and calling us all nerds (pretty much), take a look at the symbolic values of such a game and respect that each human is different.

That said, without DAoC I wouldn't know some of the people I know now. Some of the people that I consider to be great friends, because we share a hobby, a passion.

Tomehb

Fledgling Freddie
Shopping isn't a hobby, to me its only ever a necessity. Or a way of making money! Not loosing it.
Me fair? i think i'm more than fair. I have to bloody sit around all night just so you can have him on some stupid game, which keeps all of his group or w/e happy. And i would never waste my time on a game, games are pointless really. Unless you are a computer programmer etc. But yes some of you do find it fun, can't understand why though. I think i'd rather run a marathon.

^^

She has a harsh view :p

Beovulf

Fledgling Freddie
Tomehb said:
And i would never waste my time on a game, games are pointless really.

You do realise your b/f plays that game dont you? And in effect your calling your b/f a geek...

Games arent pointless if you have fun playing them, and you get something from them. A sense of satisfaction from accomplishing something. Besides, i bet you buy magazines with crap loads of celebrity gossip or you have another hobby which many of us find....boring.

It's people like you that really piss me off, with the stereotypical and naive view that gamers are geeks, lots of people whom play this game have active social lives. Im a student and find the time to go down the pub for a few drinks during term time. I spend all weekend and some weeknights with my g/f BUT i also play this game, and i enjoy it!

So in effect if you dont like this game, keep your opinion to yourself, dont come on FH and slag off the game most of us really enjoy and call us geeks for it.

I can understand your frustrated that your b/f would choose a game over spending time with you, and my g/f the same (so id never choose it over her for fear of being beaten) but that something you'd have to sort out with him and not blame the people he grps with.

:)

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Tomehb said:
Shopping isn't a hobby, to me its only ever a necessity. Or a way of making money! Not loosing it.
Me fair? i think i'm more than fair. I have to bloody sit around all night just so you can have him on some stupid game, which keeps all of his group or w/e happy. And i would never waste my time on a game, games are pointless really. Unless you are a computer programmer etc. But yes some of you do find it fun, can't understand why though. I think i'd rather run a marathon.

Then if his commitements are to the game where your about, you should talk with him and sort it out. Maybe let him do his hobby if he does a hobby with you? Sort out times or dates when you can be together and when you get to be apart?

Relationships are all about compromising.

Tomehb

Fledgling Freddie
Beovulf said:
You do realise your b/f plays that game dont you? And in effect your calling your b/f a geek...

Games arent pointless if you have fun playing them, and you get something from them. A sense of satisfaction from accomplishing something. Besides, i bet you buy magazines with crap loads of celebrity gossip or you have another hobby which many of us find....boring.

It's people like you that really piss me off, with the stereotypical and naive view that gamers are geeks, lots of people whom play this game have active social lives. Im a student and find the time to go down the pub for a few drinks during term time. I spend all weekend and some weeknights with my g/f BUT i also play this game, and i enjoy it!

So in effect if you dont like this game, keep your opinion to yourself, dont come on FH and slag off the game most of us really enjoy and call us geeks for it.

I can understand your frustrated that your b/f would choose a game over spending time with you, and my g/f the same (so id never choose it over her for fear of being beaten) but that something you'd have to sort out with him and not blame the people he grps with.

Hey this aint christina, the reason why she wrote was because of the topic of the post, so she thought that she would share her view :)

wub all around :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I cant get my head round why someone would wanna play daoc over spending time with their gf/bf.

I like daoc and its a fun game but i'd much rather spend time with my gf than sitting in a room killing mobs for an ML or PK.

if you prefer to play the game than spend time with your gf then maybe your gf is not right for you? surely if you really like/love your gf you would be happier spending the time together?

Oh and Christina, you put accross your point which is fine, but as soon as you insult people and call them geeks etc, it only winds people up and people will think your a narrow minded fool...

Beovulf

Fledgling Freddie
I can undestand she wanted to share her view but did she really need to add insults in there?

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
How about these options, since we're not all living in the pc

--I'am single, but every saturday night..........
--Í have a girlfriend so, next to my GF, sport, school and friends, there is no time for pc anymore.
-- I'am a girl, and i married King Arthur.
-- I'am a boy, and I wanne marry a sexy liddul luwi, so I have to play daoc to stay in touch to meh gf.. :)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Am single as of about 4 days ago, DAoC wasn't a factor this time. (As much)

Behmoth

Fledgling Freddie
my wife doesn't liek it but its better than watching tv. but also have to take son to karate football and swimming so she can't moan too much.......and wtf is she comming out of the kitchen for to check up on me anyhow :twak:

last bit is a joke just incase she stumbles upon this thread btw:m00:

Cloudz

Fledgling Freddie
Huntingtons said:
double life! in the day time, mr. nice guy with gf taking a walk etc. in nightime this man turns into a beast, dualwielding or petspamming, making life for poor druids horror! :/ its like a mafioso you know.

my gf takes it cool when i game, tho she wouldnt like me picking daoc over her. but i've told her i like to play and she has to respect it so i can tell her some times (not very often) that i want a night of daoc instead of spending whole day with her. she seems pretty cool with it and sometimes if my mind is on it she asks about the game etc.

haha :p

My gf would never accept it if I said I'm playing daoc tonight, she gets pissed off enough because I play football in the evenings quite alot and doesnt get to see me.

and Christina has a point, She prob gets shit bored watching her bf running around on daoc all night, I wouldnt wana do it, and its probaly even worse when you have no idea of whats even going on

Vipr

One of Freddy's beloved
I recently married my long term GF (for my sins!!) and shes had to put up with me being online for most evenings for the last 5 years. Since my initiation into the online world (via UO) i have had just about every argument under the sun with her trying to justify to her my time online.

Reading this thread has moved me to offer my top tips for blagging an evening's gaming, whilst keeping "she who must be obeyed" passified.

1) Purchase a soppy film (or 2 ) from the local DVD shop after work.
2) Buy her favourite dinner & desert before getting home, then get her to make it for you both.
3) Tell her you have some "Overtime" work to do on the computer and you cant be disturbed.
4) Book her a monthly membership to the local GYM.
5)Text her friends hinting that an evening out with everyone would be nice, then bail at the last moment.
6)Always be offline by 10:00pm (This leaves time for talking and other adult things!)
7) Minimise shouting ,swearing whilst on TS,VENT etc. Swearing & shouting draws attention to you and ultimately moaning and nagging will follow)!!
8) Dont throw her old gossip/trash mags, leave them strategically place on the living room table. trust me they cant resist reading them over and over! ( (particuarlly effective ploy!!)
9) Buy her a new mobile phone and put her friends and mothers phone numbers on it only. (Using the BT landline would cost you an arm & leg!)
10) If the whining that evening is particuarlly stlong..Tell her you off to the gym and hit the local internet cafe for a quick fix. (Emergency use only this one!)

Any "married vets" out there that are possession of more tactics please list them, im always looking for new angles...

(GF:fluffle: +RL > computer and only fools would think otherwise)

Righthandof

Fledgling Freddie
i haven't found this problem to be that big tbh. of course when im single, i play a lot more than when i can share my time with somebody i like.. but that's normal. this summer i earned about 1 million rps soloing/duoing on my paladin, while building a nice, long-term relationship with a lady irl.. we're moving into 1 flat soon, but still I've got many plans on daoc, and so can't really understand the quit threads with "irl is more important for me, so im leaving.." bullsh**s.

hanza

Fledgling Freddie
Vipr said:
I recently married my long term GF (for my sins!!) and shes had to put up with me being online for most evenings for the last 5 years. Since my initiation into the online world (via UO) i have had just about every argument under the sun with her trying to justify to her my time online.

Reading this thread has moved me to offer my top tips for blagging an evening's gaming, whilst keeping "she who must be obeyed" passified.

1) Purchase a soppy film (or 2 ) from the local DVD shop after work.
2) Buy her favourite dinner & desert before getting home, then get her to make it for you both.
3) Tell her you have some "Overtime" work to do on the computer and you cant be disturbed.
4) Book her a monthly membership to the local GYM.
5)Text her friends hinting that an evening out with everyone would be nice, then bail at the last moment.
6)Always be offline by 10:00pm (This leaves time for talking and other adult things!)
7) Minimise shouting ,swearing whilst on TS,VENT etc. Swearing & shouting draws attention to you and ultimately moaning and nagging will follow)!!
8) Dont throw her old gossip/trash mags, leave them strategically place on the living room table. trust me they cant resist reading them over and over! ( (particuarlly effective ploy!!)
9) Buy her a new mobile phone and put her friends and mothers phone numbers on it only. (Using the BT landline would cost you an arm & leg!)
10) If the whining that evening is particuarlly stlong..Tell her you off to the gym and hit the local internet cafe for a quick fix. (Emergency use only this one!)

Any "married vets" out there that are possession of more tactics please list them, im always looking for new angles...

(GF:fluffle: +RL > computer and only fools would think otherwise)

man!! those are great !!! love number 4 :) will list a few tips as well below ...

two different view of the thing.

with my ex Gf with who i have been for 3 years or so i was pretty lucky. her living in UK and me living ... somewhere else, left me enough time for DaOC. had to find a compromise after the first year tho. we were seeing each other during holiday time so we aggreed on 5 weeks daoc and 2 weeks with each other. fair enough ... for both of us i would say. besids she knew she wasn t allowed to bother me more than 5 min on the dayly phone call because i was obviously playing daoc when she phoned!
also always had the chance to negociate a few rvr runs here and then when she was at home if i was able to behave properly (read no daoc playing) for a few days.

with new Gf a bit harder tho as she s living next door ...

the biggest thing to do first is to make her understand that daoc is a hobby just like any other, some like to go shopping or else..; but we love to stay hours behind a computer ylling at each other! once the concept is more or less understood u might be willing to use some tricks such as:

1) trying to involve her in the game (exemple: say hello to me meights on VT, chat 30 sec with them; once they all say your gf seems nice etc she will forgive you for playing)

2) pretend you wanna go cinema to watch a movie she has no interest in (then ofc play daoc instead of going to cinema but this will buy you some time )

3) pretend you wanna make her a surprise. (this one is a bit tricky as it require some preparation) first when u go shopping buy secretly some premade cakes (2 min preparation and 45 min in hoven) do this then play daoc. dont allowed her in for 2 or 3 hours, then say u had to fight with the cake to manage it :) she ll be happy and u ll have had your 3hours of daoc playing :p

ofc all those works way better if (as someone already mentionned) you manage to spend some quality moment with her (between two rvr runs !! <-- kidding)

Behmoth

Fledgling Freddie
new girlfiend=needs lots of attention no/little time for doac
steady girlfiend= attention split evenly between the 2
fiancee= some attention when she's there just to keep her happy
partner/wife= fuck off with the milkman i'm playing doac

Vipr

One of Freddy's beloved
Behmoth said:
new girlfiend=needs lots of attention no/little time for doac
steady girlfiend= attention split evenly between the 2
fiancee= some attention when she's there just to keep her happy
partner/wife= fuck off with the milkman i'm playing doac

lol

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
I binned me chick because she kept giving me a hard time over DAoC!

Vipr

One of Freddy's beloved
RS|Phil said:
I binned me chick because she kept giving me a hard time over DAoC!

Thats the spirit Soldier!!!!

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Vipr said:
Thats the spirit Soldier!!!!

It wasn't just DAoC but more what DAoC represented. Been down that road before with people so basically she could just fuck right off before it went too far.

Bitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom