TV Game of Thrones: Season 8

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I had to watch Episode 3 in my sock drawer to see anything. It was so dark. The most crucial episode to date and I was struggling to work out what the hell was going on. I turned ny brightness up to full. No difference.

A pretty good episode, with a great feeling of tension build up, but with some bits that left me going "what did they do that for?"

I still think Hardhome is the best battle sequence yet. It was contained yet concentrated, the first of its kind and so gritty and visceral. Every other undead battle sequence after is just variations of the same imo.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
They shoot things so dark because it's much much cheaper to do that than doing "dark" when you can see stuff.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
What happened to Ghost? And did Dani lose of of her two dragons?

And they devote all that time to making tons of dragonglass weapons and the White Walker Generals get killed off without lifting an arm!

I was hoping for at least a bit of wall-top combat between the living and White Walkers. And I rather fancied seeing Jon Snow and the Night King in action. Oh well.

I gotta say after all that, my expectations are lowered now

They should have done Cersei first then finished off with a monumentally epic battle with the Night King. Throw the White Walker Generals in Winterfell, give Bran some actual plot line that works, and give us 5 minutes of Ghost ripping through the undead with joyous savage awesomeness, before returning to Jon Snow, dropping an undead bone from its jaw at Jon's feet, wagging his tail, and Jon throwing the bone for him to fetch.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
What happened to Ghost? And did Dani lose of of her two dragons?

And they devote all that time to making tons of dragonglass weapons and the White Walker Generals get killed off without lifting an arm!

I was hoping for at least a bit of wall-top combat between the living and White Walkers. And I rather fancied seeing Jon Snow and the Night King in action. Oh well.

I gotta say after all that, my expectations are lowered now

They should have done Cersei first then finished off with a monumentally epic battle with the Night King. Throw the White Walker Generals in Winterfell, give Bran some actual plot line that works, and give us 5 minutes of Ghost ripping through the undead with joyous savage awesomeness, before returning to Jon Snow, dropping an undead bone from its jaw at Jon's feet, wagging his tail, and Jon throwing the bone for him to fetch.
CBA with spoilers anymore, if you haven't seen it by now though titty.

Both dragons and Ghost are in the trailer for next week.

In the TV show dragon glass works in wights as well as Walkers (not the case in the books), so not wasted. Do agree the walkers were under-used though.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I have no problem with the way things have gone so far; saving the Night King to be the final Boss level would be so predictable, when "anyone can die" has literally been the only rule of GoT for eight years, so why shouldn't that apply to the Night King? I also liked that they subverted Brienne and Grey Worm's absolutely nailed on "making plans/happiness = death" trope. Of course that means one of them will definitely die in the next episode.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I also like how the story has gone so far and I was so very determined Brienne and Grey Worm would go that I was happily suprised and overjoyed to be wrong... The other three on my list did meet their demise however although they all had beautiful deaths ;)

Gray

FH is my second home
I rewatched the episode, or at least the half I caught again.

The screen was dark still, but knowing about it being an issue for everyone I fiddled with the settings and actually ended up with a pretty decent picture in the end. So at the weekend I might watch it in full again and see if the whole episode was improved upon.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Been battering Barca in the second half :(

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Going to try re watching the episode on my Spectrum 128. See if the picture quality improves with just one colour per 8x8 pixel block

Talivar

Part of the furniture
I also agree with Degaffer that many are moaning that it has become too predictable yet almost everyone predicted it would go a different way and more would die so surely the fact it didnt makes it unpredictable !. Also many quote how the sudden unexpected deaths from the previous seasons made it great but now are annoyed it happened in this episode!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
If in the next episode they have Jon Snow confessing he's a transsexual and has been having a long term on-off relationship with the Hound, someone will say "Totally predictable. So obvious"

DaGaffer

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Oh yeah, the tactics utterly sucked. Cavalry were almost never used as the vanguard historically (Agincourt being a very good example of why not, even though in that case the French didn't have much choice); they are almost always deployed in the flanks because if nothing else, horses are fucking expensive.
They should have played more Rome: Total War.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
They must've thought as they were writing/preparing the episode "this is going to look tactically awful" but you could see their aim was to have all those flaming weapons flickering out from the other side of the battlefield to get the dread juices flowing.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Oh yeah, the tactics utterly sucked. Cavalry were almost never used as the vanguard historically (Agincourt being a very good example of why not, even though in that case the French didn't have much choice); they are almost always deployed in the flanks because if nothing else, horses are fucking expensive.

Before Agincourt they always started with a cavalry charge down the middle.

It does make sense that they rolled over the plains unopposed with great pride, so when it came to the White Walkers they were probably eager to show everyone how it's done.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Let's use our most powerful force, those on horseback, oh fuck. What dick decided to send them in at the front? It was a clusterfuck. Shit episode after waiting seven or so years.

DaGaffer

Before Agincourt they always started with a cavalry charge down the middle.

It does make sense that they rolled over the plains unopposed with great pride, so when it came to the White Walkers they were probably eager to show everyone how it's done.

No they didn't. Especially not the Mongols (who the Dothraki are the GoT analog for), they would almost always try to avoid a head on attack and use the flanks. At Agincourt the French had to make a head on charge because they were funnelled into a narrow front with no flanks by the English.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
No they didn't. Especially not the Mongols (who the Dothraki are the GoT analog for), they would almost always try to avoid a head on attack and use the flanks. At Agincourt the French had to make a head on charge because they were funnelled into a narrow front with no flanks by the English.

I have a degree in history, in medieval history and lots of focus on the Crusades.

Yes, Mongols didn't head on charge because they used small agile horses and they were incredible archers.

Even Alexander did head on charges on a flank, (but didn't flank them once they were engaged with infantry, but head on) the idea was to break one flank instantly and then everyone runs.

The military orders on the crusade won ridiculous battles where there was like 800 knights vs 30 thousand Muslims by just charging at them.

DaGaffer

I have a degree in history, in medieval history and lots of focus on the Crusades.

Yes, Mongols didn't head on charge because they used small agile horses and they were incredible archers.

Even Alexander did head on charges on a flank, (but didn't flank them once they were engaged with infantry, but head on) the idea was to break one flank instantly and then everyone runs.

The military orders on the crusade won ridiculous battles where there was like 800 knights vs 30 thousand Muslims by just charging at them.

So before Agincourt "they" didn't always start with a cavalry charge down the middle? We're agreed then? Dothraki aren't armoured knights, they're light cavalry, they wouldn't naturally just charge straight in.

Last edited:

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
GoT isn't real, you both know that right?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Episode 4:

Oooh, from victory to defeat. However, when they were ambushed and Rhaegal died, why didn't she fly out of range and around the ships and burn them from behind?

And Grey Worm lives but his love is beheaded, hope he gets his revenge. Looks like next week is going to be awesome.

Favourite quote: gold plated cunts

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom