TV Game of Thrones: Season 8

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Well, a bit more boob than that.

What is the world coming to?

- No upskirting
- No leering at your topless neighbour with binoculars whilst trying to balance a box of tissues
- No dirty thoughts without permission from your newsagents

They'll be banning flashing next
Bastards

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Good episode. Next week is going to be total carnage.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Humble opinion after Ep2:
GoT massively jumped the shark last season and is little more than fan service now.
The Jon/Daenerys relationship is hilariously wooden and unbelievable.
Borderline autistic Arya and Bran scenes stopped being entertaining years ago.
Every character makes the dumbest possible decisions at every opportunity, I just want them all to get killed asap to get it over with.

Oh well, at least the women and children will be safe in the crypt next episode.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Humble opinion after Ep2:
GoT massively jumped the shark last season and is little more than fan service now.
The Jon/Daenerys relationship is hilariously wooden and unbelievable.
Borderline autistic Arya and Bran scenes stopped being entertaining years ago.
Every character makes the dumbest possible decisions at every opportunity, I just want them all to get killed asap to get it over with.

Oh well, at least the women and children will be safe in the crypt next episode.
The crypt is the worst place to be, all those dead people. Though I don't know if the White King can resurrect over distance

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's more the fact that they keep making exaggerated references to how safe the crypt is that we know something bad's going to happen in the crypt. Also, Grey Worm is fucked. Making plans to take his bird off on a trip was a massive mistake for his longevity.

It's obviously going to pick up now but I can't help feeling they've wasted a large part of 2 episodes of the last ever season. I remember reading that we were getting a shorter season but all of the episodes would be feature-length with a higher budget, it doesn't seem like the first 2 ticked either of those boxes.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
It's more the fact that they keep making exaggerated references to how safe the crypt is that we know something bad's going to happen in the crypt. Also, Grey Worm is fucked. Making plans to take his bird off on a trip was a massive mistake for his longevity.

It's obviously going to pick up now but I can't help feeling they've wasted a large part of 2 episodes of the last ever season. I remember reading that we were getting a shorter season but all of the episodes would be feature-length with a higher budget, it doesn't seem like the first 2 ticked either of those boxes.
The CGI looks like Babylon5-era garbage all of a sudden, I wouldn't hold your breath.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Mother of God, that was some much need action after 2 slow episodes!

Unsullied are very pretty lined up, but not very effective at fighting it would seem.

Dothraki all died for no good reason it seems, maybe sending them south in case they won, and needed more troops for the next war?

Theon Greyjoy got his redemption at last. May have lost his sword, but he had balls at the end!

As for the Stark's, burying their dead has come back to haunt them

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Got to be honest, I was a bit bored. All of the Arya bits were good, but the rest? Not so much. And the Night King being immune to dragon fire definitely felt like cheating.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
The Night King being immune to dragon fire was odd but maybe because he lineage is the same as Daenys.
Overall good but jesus their military tactics were crazy, unarmoured Cavalry as front line! They deserved to lose. Figured it would be Ayra after the look that Melisandre gave her in the castle.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Got to be honest, I was a bit bored. All of the Arya bits were good, but the rest? Not so much. And the Night King being immune to dragon fire definitely felt like cheating.
I'd agree except for the part with the Red Woman, that gave away far too much with the whole "blue eyes" bit.

The other bit I couldn't get behind was the fact that the night kings dragon suddenly couldn't destroy a bit of wall when John Snow was behind it, despite having blown through the great wall previously and the side of winterfell earlier in the episode...

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I thought it was a bit shit, killing off the White Walkers in the third episode.

DaGaffer

I thought it was a bit shit, killing off the White Walkers in the third episode.

I didn't mind that; there's only so much zombie bollocks I can take. What bothers me is we're not going to get an actual explanation for what it was all about are we?

Gwadien

I didn't mind that; there's only so much zombie bollocks I can take. What bothers me is we're not going to get an actual explanation for what it was all about are we?

It's more that pretty much the entire show has been a warning about the White Walkers and everyone being distracted by shitty politics, and they break down the wall (wow!) then they lose, what?

DaGaffer

It's more that pretty much the entire show has been a warning about the White Walkers and everyone being distracted by shitty politics, and they break down the wall (wow!) then they lose, what?

Hitler died but the War didn't end for another four months. I have no problem with things turning out this way, and I also love that it was Arya, not Jon, who saved everyone. It's not like the last three episodes have nothing to hold your interest; Cersei was always a more interesting character than the Night King (who was just an existential threat, not a protagonist). Plus, CleganeBowl is still on!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Just sending the whole Dothraki army out into the darkness was such a stupid way to get the ball rolling.

Also, Bran has this incredible ability and doesn't use it to help in the slightest (unless he was doing something helpful which will be revealed later on - maybe he was trying to attract the Night King but he said previously that the Night King knows where he is all the time because he'd touched him) and nobody (except Tyrion) even thinks to sit him down and have a talk. His storyline has been a real drag since about the 3rd season.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I was going to reword that bit but thought better of it.

Gwadien

Just sending the whole Dothraki army out into the darkness was such a stupid way to get the ball rolling.

Also, Bran has this incredible ability and doesn't use it to help in the slightest (unless he was doing something helpful which will be revealed later on - maybe he was trying to attract the Night King but he said previously that the Night King knows where he is all the time because he'd touched him) and nobody (except Tyrion) even thinks to sit him down and have a talk. His storyline has been a real drag since about the 3rd season.

If that's the end of the Bran story arch then i'll be amazed.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Have had to pause it. Some cunt decided to make it so fucking dark that having even a little bit of ambient light in the room means you are listening to a podcast.

What fucking time is sunset? FFS. Cunts. That is all.

Gray

FH is my second home
The battle seemed so fast paced with whizzing camera shots to even know where the frig you were especially at the beginning. Seemed unncessary especially as it was dark too.

So The Night King goes through all these seasons and not once did he utter a word, not even fuckin abrakadabra to raise the dead. After all that rough and tumble, while I did mark out somewhat about it I felt that it just ended up being so fast paced... I would have thought they would have left some of the battle into episode 4.

Shame we didn't get any Ned Stark cameo, or even Lady Stoneheart if only for a fleeting second. Good to see Tyrion and Sansa though, he was always right for her...

So in the end we will have Jon and Dany as Stark/Targaryan, Arya and Gendry as Stark/Baratheon and maybe Sansa/Tyrion as Lannister/Stark? That is their dynasty sorted right there..

Gray

FH is my second home
ALSO THE BURNING QUESTION!!!

Where is Ghost!!!!! I refuse to believe he perished!!! I seen him run with the dothraki but that was it then!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Have had to pause it. Some cunt decided to make it so fucking dark that having even a little bit of ambient light in the room means you are listening to a podcast.

What fucking time is sunset? FFS. Cunts. That is all.
You're not alone.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Can we just presume the entire thread is full of spoilers.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Wow, what a load of tosh. All the hype and then we get the biggest disappointment for an episode. Think this takes the crown from The Walking Dead for me for the worst episode.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Wow, what a load of tosh. All the hype and then we get the biggest disappointment for an episode. Think this takes the crown from The Walking Dead for me for the worst episode.
A bit harsh but some agreement. I enjoyed it but bits didn't make sense and/or could have been done better.

What was the point of Bran? Sure he was bait but he's supposed to be able to see things. Why build up that ability for 7 seasons if it isn't going to do anything?

Too much surviving for 20 minutes of major characters when the battle was already lost. If they've lost that badly more should have died.

An undead dragon that can knock down The Wall can't get past a bit of rubble that John's hiding behind?

Bit of a waste of the Dothraki. Admittedly it was powerful watching them get snuffed out from afar but still a waste and who sends cavalry out first when defending a position? Dumb?

Dark it was yes but that would be the dead's best chance. It makes sense. Why would they attack in the light when dark + snowstorm = max protection against dragon.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
A bit harsh but some agreement. I enjoyed it but bits didn't make sense and/or could have been done better.

What was the point of Bran? Sure he was bait but he's supposed to be able to see things. Why build up that ability for 7 seasons if it isn't going to do anything?

Too much surviving for 20 minutes of major characters when the battle was already lost. If they've lost that badly more should have died.

An undead dragon that can knock down The Wall can't get past a bit of rubble that John's hiding behind?

Bit of a waste of the Dothraki. Admittedly it was powerful watching them get snuffed out from afar but still a waste and who sends cavalry out first when defending a position? Dumb?

Dark it was yes but that would be the dead's best chance. It makes sense. Why would they attack in the light when dark + snowstorm = max protection against dragon.
There were several bits that make you think the director made bad choices. I've seen a review that said "Once again director Miguel Sapochnik has made an action epic that manages to weave character-driven stories through clear and comprehensible battle...So many lavish Hollywood summer blockbusters have muddled, physics-defying and downright dull smash-and-bash action while GoT continues to make every fight unique, compelling and grounded." I disagree with pretty much all of that.

I don't like how many of the main cast survived when *everybody else* died. If they'd have had at least a few random soldiers survive alongside them it would've been more believable but they're all just literally standing alone after the dead fall.

I guess they'd say that the undead dragon was a bit knackered and wasn't at full strength (the flames were spewing out of its neck as it was thrashing around) but yeah, I agree.

The Dothraki bit was infuriating. They did it because they wanted to create a real sense of dread (for us and the soldiers watching) - it *was* great seeing all the flaming torches flickering out but such a dodgy decision from a military pov. They had no idea how many were out there or how far away they were or where they were exactly. A great opportunity for Bran to have a quick look to help them out a bit.

It *was* too dark in places, I had a real struggle making out just how fucked Jorah was when he rode back from the Dothraki slaughter.

It was still a good episode, nowhere near a "load of tosh" and certainly nowhere near as bad as some of The Walking Dead has been but we're all entitled to our opinions.

It's a bit disappointing how easily the Night King was defeated. You could see that Bran was completely surrounded but somehow Arya stealthed her way past all of them completely unnoticed. I know she's littler and stealthy but come on...

I also have no idea how they're going to deal with boring human armies now after building up the dead for 7 seasons and how much of an army do they even have any more? I guess they can go around all of the houses who stayed at home but that's not going to amount to much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom